Poll: Regarding J-Rich/THJ this offseason which scenario do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Letting both walk regardless of their demands
46.15%
12 46.15%
Keeping both of them for reasonable prices (J-Rich either opted in or for <10 mio and THJ for about 12 mio per year)
23.08%
6 23.08%
Letting J-Rich walk, keeping THJ´s big caphold on the books and sign him for about 12 mio (quite massively hindering our flexibility with FA)
19.23%
5 19.23%
Letting THJ walk, keeping J-Rich´s caphold on the books and sign him for about 8 mio.
11.54%
3 11.54%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offseason wings: What to do with THJ and J-Rich?
(04-29-2021, 11:41 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: If I'm running the team, Richardson is GONE, either by sign-and-trade or just by letting him tip on out. 

On Hardaway, I'm tempted to claim they're not going to do better, and that they'll end up re-signing him, but I'd kick the tires on all scenarios before deciding.

There is that player option thing, but I wouldn't mind if he was part of a trade to new surroundings.
Like Reply
Feels like Richardson may benefit from opting in at this point.  He's already getting paid right around MLE money and underperformed this year so if there isn't a pay raise available for him this year may make sense to bet on yourself (and your health) and try again in 2022.  Having said that, most agents are going to push their players to go after the years if they're available.

In either scenario, I'm ready to move on from him.
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 12:55 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Feels like Richardson may benefit from opting in at this point.

Now, otoh, if he opts in, I'd be fine with finding out if an off-season and a second season with the same team makes a difference. At least until the trade deadline. 

But, if my choices are long term commitment or say goodbye, I don't lose a wink of sleep about it. Good luck to him.
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 12:55 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Feels like Richardson may benefit from opting in at this point.  He's already getting paid right around MLE money and underperformed this year so if there isn't a pay raise available for him this year may make sense to bet on yourself (and your health) and try again in 2022.  Having said that, most agents are going to push their players to go after the years if they're available.

I am almost certain he will not opt in. Even if there is no serious market for him, it would make more sense for him to take a one year deal with someone like Detroit, where he could be the main guard, get way more touches and improve his value. Detroit can move him at TDL for assets and everyone wins.
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 12:32 PM)omahen Wrote: Is cap space an asset? Assuming we use 34 mil of cap space better than signing another "Wright".
Cap space is never an asset in my eyes. At least for the Mavs. They've played the cap space asset card for nearly 11 years and it hasn't worked not once. And the times when they've could've used their space to take on bad contracts for assets they've shied away from it. 

So if their not willing to use their cap space in all forms and are only focusing on the stars, I'd prefer the Mavs to just stick to trades.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 12:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'd be fine with finding out if an off-season and a second season with the same team makes a difference. At least until the trade deadline. 

I can see a scenario where KP is moved for an offense first guard next to Luka and in that world, having Richardson come off the bench to guard faster PGs would be nice.  I know there's debate around whether or not his defense is actually good and I think that conversation is warranted but at the end of the day he's our best option to guard some of those quicker guards.

(04-29-2021, 12:59 PM)omahen Wrote: I am almost certain he will not opt in. Even if there is no serious market for him, it would make more sense for him to take a one year deal with someone like Detroit, where he could be the main guard, get way more touches and improve his value.

I do agree with this to an extent but I would also argue that he is one of our main guards currently, he came here out of choice (at least the way he tells it) so I can see him convincing himself he just needed some more time and practice to increase his value in this system.  Not just to other suitors but to us.

(04-29-2021, 01:10 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Cap space is never an asset in my eyes. At least for the Mavs.  They've played the cap space asset card for nearly 11 years and it hasn't worked out once. And the times when they've could've used their space to take on bad contracts for assets they've shied away from it. 

I do agree that free agency is not the strong suit of the Cuban era Mavs at all and I'm all on board to operate over the cap like we did during Dirk's reign.  It does feel like we are finally ready to take on bad contracts if we think it improves our roster though.
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 06:42 AM)Thukydides Wrote: I thought this question is so huge, that it deserves it´s own thread. Also I feel like the discussion around it has evolved in a few different threads. Furthermore I wanted to add a poll.

So here are the facts:

Current salary for 2020/21:

J-Rich - 10.865 mio - he has a player option for next year at 11.615 mio 
THJ - 18.975 mio - he is a UFA

Cap-hold: 
J-Rich (if opted out) - 16.5 mio 
THJ - 28,5 mio (crazy!)

What do you think about these outcomes? Do you actually see us keeping THJ on the books, if J-Rich opts in?

Edit: Of course there is the possibility of renouncing the cap holds AND still resigning players. But this seems not very likely, as you can´t go over the cap in this case.

Cap holds aren't that restrictive, even if the player is being signed for less. You keep the rights, then sign the player to the lower salary, and the cap hold is replaced by the salary. The team just has to do their summer roster building in the proper sequence, which they all know how to do (and every team does year after year).
Like Reply
I actually don't want to get rid of J-Rich--yet.  I'm not thrilled with the $11.615 million, but I guess I'd keep him...at least one more year.  See how he develops.   He's a good defender and has some offensive potential...just has to work hard at it in the offseason.

THJ?  Ah man.  I like his hard work, fearlessness, and demeanor.  I like his hot streaks.  But I hate his shot selection.  Come on man!  Pass the ball sometimes.  This is a team!  Not a black hole everytime you touch the ball.  Would I keep him?  Maybe...for the $8 million that was mentioned for J-Rich.

I voted, but I wasn't happy with any of the choices...
Like Reply
My working theory on JRich is that he needs another year with the same team to start realizing his true potential with that team. The more I see him play though, the closer to KL's thought I get. I'm fine with losing him as long as we get someone back in his stead that can carry the role he's supposed to fill. If not, I'd rather see what he can do in year 2...at least until the TDL.

THJ, man, I can take him or lose him either way too. Playoff Tim makes me cry big blue Mavs tears, so if he doesn't show up 2 years in a row? I'm done with him. If he does show up this year, I can take him or leave him. 

Most of it depends on what we get instead of both of them, problem is we have to make that decision before we can figure it out for the most part.

Sometimes it seems we just need 1 more high end starter/contributor for this team, other times, we're playing the likes of the juggernaut that is the Kings...
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 12:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You have to get assets for JRich or else you let Seth go for the 36th pick.

Sunk cost. J Rich does have some value. You might be able to get *something* in an opt-in and extend trade.
Like Reply
I feel the same way I felt ab Wright last year with J Rich. No way he is on this team next year. I do know that Wright had a lesser role so it was more obvious. But J Rich just doesn't bring enough to the table. 

If Mavs only had a little bit of cap space (~10-15 mil for example) you could argue you'd get more by trying to retain THJ, J Rich + adding an MLE player. But with 34 mil of potential cap space you have to look for a real upgrade or two. THJ and J Rich just are good enough players to hang onto when you can find better talent for that money.
Like Reply
Mmm cap space.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1387899215972548614
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
It might be time for me to become the #1 Richardson hater 

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 06:34 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It might be time for me to become the #1 Richardson hater 

[Image: tumblr_n6pd84yfTR1scjie5o1_400.gif]
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 06:34 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It might be time for me to become the #1 Richardson hater 

[Image: giphy.gif]

He sucks but someone will take him
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 09:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He sucks but someone will take him

Probably us when we strike out in free agency.
Like Reply
What I expect: Mavs throw 45 over 3 at THJ but he turns it down to sign with Detroit for 80 over 4. Meanwhile, JR opts out to sign for MLE or less in LA, where he kills it and helps them bury Mavs in the POs. Mavs use their cap space to coax 200 year old Paul Millsap into accepting a multi-year deal.

What I hope: Mavs find something better than THJ to trade for and re-sign JR on a value deal, which he more than earns by locating a 3 point shot next season. 

In between: Mavs try to keep THJ while inking Dragic to a semi decent deal.
Like Reply
I changed my mind. I don't really see a reason to bring Richardson back

I think Green will be able to exceed Richardson's defense and offensively it would be hard for Green to be worse
Like Reply
Let both walk, then sign Lonzo Ball and Norman Powell. They’ll probably combine to cost $45M so will need to move another player.
Like Reply