Poll: Regarding J-Rich/THJ this offseason which scenario do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Letting both walk regardless of their demands
46.15%
12 46.15%
Keeping both of them for reasonable prices (J-Rich either opted in or for <10 mio and THJ for about 12 mio per year)
23.08%
6 23.08%
Letting J-Rich walk, keeping THJ´s big caphold on the books and sign him for about 12 mio (quite massively hindering our flexibility with FA)
19.23%
5 19.23%
Letting THJ walk, keeping J-Rich´s caphold on the books and sign him for about 8 mio.
11.54%
3 11.54%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offseason wings: What to do with THJ and J-Rich?
(05-02-2021, 07:20 AM)Sigma4Life Wrote: Let both walk, then sign Lonzo Ball and Norman Powell. They’ll probably combine to cost $45M so will need to move another player.

I think there is an upside to letting them both walk but I don't know if Ball/Powell is the best route especially considering it'd take another player to generate space.

I wouldn't mind a Ball/Holmes offseason though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 08:44 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think there is an upside to letting them both walk but I don't know if Ball/Powell is the best route especially considering it'd take another player to generate space.

I wouldn't mind a Ball/Holmes offseason though.

I like Holmes but I don’t think he puts us over the top. Plus if we let THJ go we’ll have a gaping hole on offense, either with the 2nd team or as a 3rd / 4th scorer. 

Lonzo Ball is a much better version of JRich. He can guard opposing point guards as well as hit 3s, facilitate and rebound. 

Norman Powell is a more consistent version of THJ with better 1 on 1 skillls.  

Getting Ball and Powell allow us to keep some continuity with the way the roster is constructed while securing significant upgrades.
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 08:52 AM)Sigma4Life Wrote: Norman Powell is a more consistent version of THJ with better 1 on 1 skillls.  

Getting Ball and Powell allow us to keep some continuity with the way the roster is constructed while securing significant upgrades.

Aren't we pretty disappointed with how this roster is constructed currently anyways?

I agree that Holmes isn't a show stopper, but he's an elite roller. I think getting 3 big men that all can roll effectively will only amplify Luka's passing game. DPowell is one. We need 2 more. Holmes fits the bill and would fit nicely alongside another big signing such as Ball.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

(05-02-2021, 09:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Aren't we pretty disappointed with how this roster is constructed currently anyways?

I agree that Holmes isn't a show stopper, but he's an elite roller. I think getting 3 big men that all can roll effectively will only amplify Luka's passing game. DPowell is one. We need 2 more. Holmes fits the bill and would fit nicely alongside another big signing such as Ball.

I missed the memo on this roster being poorly constructed. We are not a championship contender so obviously it’s not perfect, but the structure of the rosters solid, we just need better pieces to fit those roles. 

IMO we need:

1. more physical defensive, rim rolling center that’s a good rebounder (Dwight Howard archetype is perfect). 

2. secondary playmaker / scorer that defenses need to respect every night, not just when he’s hot. 

3. scoring 2-way wing that is above average scorer and defender. 

Role #1 was supposed to be WCS but he’s not strong enough or consistent. 

JRich and THJ are supposed to fill roles 2 & 3 but neither is consistent enough.
Like Reply
J Rich is trash and needs to go. THJ is a limited player but has some value. Bottom line is though that Mavs need better players for that 34 mil-ish amount of space.

Even with KP on the bench I can only imagine how much better Mavs would be if they had an actually good player in the place of J Rich. Even journey-man Trey Burke might be an upgrade over J Rich if they simply swapped their roles and minutes.

I would be tempted just to throw a lot of money at any guard that would upgrade that starting SG spot. Not saying its wise to use all 34 mil dollars on one player but you do have a lot of money.

Thinking ab Ball, Lowry, Conley, DeRozan. These are non-max players (other than Ball who might be RFA maxable) so you have the ability to "overpay" one of them in one way or another if you really want to.

Dinwiddie, Dragic are cheaper options. Like what if you are like Lowry, Conley - here is a 2+1 TO 100 million dollar plus contract bc our other guard spot sucks. At least make it interesting. Do the Raptors want to give him that much money? Do the Jazz want to be that deep in luxury tax? They seem like a team you could money0whip to steal a player from.

Conley just made like 34 mil dollars. Even if you give him a huge payday like you aren't married to him very long. Jazz will be stuck so I like at least putting them in a bind.

Let's say you blow your wad on 2 years of Conley.

Main rotation pieces are:

Conley/Burke
Luka/Brunson
DFS
Powell/WCS?
KP/Maxi

That rMLE could go to WCS or another bench player. Mavs rotation would be top-heavy with no THJ off the bench but I am okay with that. J Rich has been a zero this year so Conley would be replacing THJ and Burke sort of replaces J Rich in a way.
Like Reply
(05-01-2021, 06:27 PM)Jommybone Wrote: What I expect: Mavs throw 45 over 3 at THJ but he turns it down to sign with Detroit for 80 over 4. Meanwhile, JR opts out to sign for MLE or less in LA, where he kills it and helps them bury Mavs in the POs. Mavs use their cap space to coax 200 year old Paul Millsap into accepting a multi-year deal.

What I hope: Mavs find something better than THJ to trade for and re-sign JR on a value deal, which he more than earns by locating a 3 point shot next season. 

In between: Mavs try to keep THJ while inking Dragic to a semi decent deal.

I'll take your in between.
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 04:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:  
I would be tempted just to throw a lot of money at any guard that would upgrade that starting SG spot. Not saying its wise to use all 34 mil dollars on one player but you do have a lot of money.

Thinking ab Ball, Lowry, Conley, DeRozan. These are non-max players (other than Ball who might be RFA maxable) so you have the ability to "overpay" one of them in one way or another if you really want to.

Dinwiddie, Dragic are cheaper options. Like what if you are like Lowry, Conley - here is a 2+1 TO 100 million dollar plus contract bc our other guard spot sucks. At least make it interesting. Do the Raptors want to give him that much money? Do the Jazz want to be that deep in luxury tax? They seem like a team you could money0whip to steal a player from.

Conley just made like 34 mil dollars. Even if you give him a huge payday like you aren't married to him very long. Jazz will be stuck so I like at least putting them in a bind.

Let's say you blow your wad on 2 years of Conley.

Main rotation pieces are:

Conley/Burke
Luka/Brunson
DFS
Powell/WCS?
KP/Maxi

That rMLE could go to WCS or another bench player. Mavs rotation would be top-heavy with no THJ off the bench but I am okay with that. J Rich has been a zero this year so Conley would be replacing THJ and Burke sort of replaces J Rich in a way.

If they go that route, I hope it is Conley.  He's had a fantastic season AND it weakens an opponent.  My preference would be to start at a lower number and put some guaranteed money in that third year and save some cap room above the rMLE for another addition on top of bringing back Willie with the rMLE (maybe Theis?).
Like Reply
I would love to keep THJ; he's the perfect microwave scorer + semi-starter. Tonight shows you why you need guys like THJ; say what you want but the dude is not scared to shoot (for better or for worse). I haven't checked in a while but I believe THJ is like second in the NBA in ppg amongst bench players. 

But it all comes down to price. It's definitely a grey area on where to settle but given their track record, who will MBT find better? It's hard to find guys who fit a team systematically and by all accounts THJ is a great leader off the court as well. 

Josh Richardson is not even worth discussing. He's in Wesley Matthews territory. It's maddening to see Carlisle trot him out there for heavy minutes every night.
Like Reply
I don't see either going anywhere. THJ definitely not...they will lock him up long-term for big money unless they can find a replacement who can do what he does. For better or worse, THJ is trusted to bail out the offense when it gets stale and he has the greenlight to launch up a three. Sometimes they go in and sometimes they don't.

I'm also not sold on them being done with JRich yet. I think he gets the Covid season excuse and they want to see him with another offseason with the team
Like Reply
I'm sympathetic to all the players who have had to battle through longterm symptoms of COVID, but it's hard for me to give Richardson the COVID excuse this year when his numbers are right in line with his career averages. This is just who he is and the Mavs have money in their pockets and options on the market to use on a more dynamic starting caliber  guard, imho.

I think the Mavs will try to bring THJ back.  I think they see him a core guy in the franchise foundation.
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 08:20 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I'm sympathetic to all the players who have had to battle through longterm symptoms of COVID, but it's hard for me to give Richardson the COVID excuse this year when his numbers are right in line with his career averages. This is just who he is and the Mavs have money in their pockets and options on the market to use on a more dynamic starting caliber  guard, imho.

I think the Mavs will try to bring THJ back.  I think they see him a core guy in the franchise foundation.

Yes THJ has been a team first player who has not complained about role or being a starter or bench player...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/5/6/2...ardaway-jr
Like Reply