Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 11.0 pt RAPTOR & 11.5 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
77.78%
7 77.78%
Pistons
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 57: DET (18-41) @ DAL (31-26) | 127-117 win
It really feels like living in bizarro world, where Mavs fans actually blame Luka for any of this.  He´s selfish. He´s out of shape. Holyshit.

We´d be the Detroit Pistons, if it wasn´t for Luka. Only we´d be playing a veteran rotation, while being 18-40.

So fatigue is an acknowledged factor!

Detroit´s team from the last game:

Age/NBA experience:

Starters

23 / Rookie / 540 minutes
21 / Rookie / 1440 minutes
19 / Rookie / 1135 minutes
19 / Rookie / 315 minutes
24 / 5th year / 5636 minutes

Bench
25 / 7th year / 4664 minutes
22 / 5th year / 2428 minutes
21 / Sophomore / 542 minutes
22 / 4th year / 2408 minutes

Just for comparison:

Dwight Powell

29 / 8th year / 7558 minutes

Powell basically has the same NBA experience as the starters of the Pistons combined.

Yet we are supposed to believe Carlisle can´t find a way to give 30 of 240 game minutes, which is just 12.5% of the game to our rookies, without a huge risk of losing the game to an 18-40 team?

Well then Carlisle is simply not a good coach, let alone a great coach.

The fact that Carlisle has the 100% backing of his owner and a virtual job guarantee, should make it even easier for him, to incorporate/develop rookies, without fear of losing his job over the odd loss.

And hey crazy thought maybe we don´t lose some of these games to the Rockets, Thunder or Kings, if we had two rookies out there all year, who had gotten experience, had fresh legs and had reduced the overall workload of the key rotational players. Maybe they match the energy and effort of the young Rockets and Thunder.

So what do you think are the odds, we´ll see Green, Bey or Hinton for extended periods tonight?

Tomorrow they´ll complain again about fatigue against the Lakers.
Like Reply
The rookies‘ minutes are absurd, but that won’t change. The season is over for those guys.

I doubt we’ll see more than one of Green/Bey/Terry here next year. Carlisle never had any interest in working them into the team. 

It’s a lost year for all of them. I hope we waive/trade them quickly so they can start their careers on a team that isn’t so caught up in its dogmatic approach like the RC-Mavs. 

It’s pathetic how we have botched this.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 04:33 PM)JamesConway Wrote: The rookies‘ minutes are absurd, but that won’t change. The season is over for those guys.

Agreed.  It's going to be a dogfight just to stay in playoff contention so the margin for error is really low.  

Carlisle's always been weird with rookies.  Some guys are Jalen Brunson and other guys are Tyrell Terry.  It also makes the Mavs draft choices all the more cofounding.  Bey is much closer to a Brunson type than the guy we drafted.
Like Reply
Is Terry back with the team yet?
Like Reply
This must be a record number of posts in a game thread before the start of the game!  Looks like Mavs fans are starting to get really serious about the current situation.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 05:09 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Is Terry back with the team yet?

While understanding that the young man deserves his privacy, I would speculate that he engaged in self-harm and is getting help. In all seriousness.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 04:43 PM)cow Wrote: Agreed.  It's going to be a dogfight just to stay in playoff contention so the margin for error is really low.  

But who says that we are a worse team for it? Surely there is a tipping point, where additional athletism, fitness and effort trumps know-how and experience in a roster configuration/rotation.

I remember, when we became a better team when Justin Anderson  got major minutes as a rookie starter at the end of the 2015/2016 season. We went on that 7-2 run to clinch a play-off spot. He made the team better, because he could play with a tenacity and effort on defense, that Charlie V. and Deron W. simply were not able to. I´m sure Deron and Charlie had more pure basketball skills and the knowledge to know which way Westbrook and Durant were going to blow by them next.

The benefit of having a young starter like Simba next to old ass Pachulia, Dirk, JJB and Achilles Hood improved the starting five overall. That´s why I don´t buy into this idea, that every rookie automatically makes your team worse.

Tyler Bey could probably help a fatigued starting five, if he started in place of Kleber occasionally (against the weaker teams). His main strength is college was off-ball rim-running. Isn´t that exactly what Luka is missing (the old Powell role), when KP spreads the floor. When they drafted Bey, I thought the intention was to play him as a small-ball athletic rim-running four. I guess I put more thought into the pick than the Mavs.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 04:07 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I'm hoping for the best tonight. That DAL comes out smoking and ends up sitting the starters for most of the 2nd half, winning by an absurd number.

My dark side says that two of the DET bench players will have career games that will make everyone wonder why they were buried in the rotation and DAL will lose by 12 even though Luka puts up a 32 pt triple and KP has a 24 pt double. 

But I try not to listen to my dark side if I can help it.

Yeah, don't listen to it. Dallas should win going away. It's crunch time now.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 04:43 PM)cow Wrote: Carlisle's always been weird with rookies. Some guys are Jalen Brunson and other guys are Tyrell Terry.

If you think Carlisle is the reason Terry is not playing, you clearly haven't been paying attention. One doesn't even need to know the details to understand that some things are bigger than basketball.
Like Reply
Dear Mr. Carrey,

Please start Jalen Brunson in the 2nd half.

Best Regards,
loki
Like Reply
Brunson is a one man wrecking crew. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.
Like Reply
Charlie Veeeeeee! For threeeee!!!! Miss that dude
Like Reply
Three straight bricks from three and then Jerami Grant makes one without any fear! Should be a blowout but looks like this will be a struggle to finish this comfortably
Like Reply
5 straight missed threes...4 of them were good looks. And just like that, we are back to in the low 30% from deep
Like Reply
Great win; any win is a great win, lol!  Lakers' Davis expects to play vs the Mavs tomorrow.
Like Reply
Players only meeting on hold for the time being
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 07:54 PM)Tyler Wrote: If you think Carlisle is the reason Terry is not playing, you clearly haven't been paying attention. One doesn't even need to know the details to understand that some things are bigger than basketball.

Read the entire quote and try again.  Way to miss the point.
Like Reply
Bey looks quit a bit better than Green as a prospect. Why again did the Mavs choose Green?
Like Reply
Cuban just remembered the other day that it was Ronzone who talked him and Donnie into taking Green over Bay. Hahahahah.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 11:50 PM)chaparral Wrote: Cuban just remembered the other day that it was Ronzone who talked him and Donnie into taking Green over Bay. Hahahahah.

Smile

Win is a win, but I expected more. This "more" will be necessary for Lakers. I hope they have it.
Like Reply