Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.0 pt RAPTOR favs & 2.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
4 50.00%
Nuggets
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 17: DEN (10-7) @ DAL (8-9) | 113-117 loss
Both Brunson and Burke cannot defend the pick and roll right now but I think it is more about the scheme. We are back to last seasons deep drop coverage. Meaning that they have to get over the screen at all costs. Both picked up some cheap foul calls in those situations.
Hard to blame them when they are left alone on an island against on of the better pull up shooters in the NBA.
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:35 PM)RDB Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 11:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah Brunson+JJ on defense were PUNISHED in the first half.
Just finished rewatching 1st quarter. Brunson gave up 5 points on player guarded...3 on a difficult 3 by Green and 2 off a pick by Murray.

Okay, then if RC was blaming Brunson, bad on him.
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Serious question though: Did you think this way when KP was tearing it up in the bubble?

That’s a tough question to answer, because he was so in and out, and, the Clippers had NO idea how to handle Doncic. 

I would say that in that series, against that team, it worked out well for them when he played. But, later in the series when LA figured out how to take Luka out of the game late down the stretch, KP wasn’t out there for us to see how much help he would’ve been. 

Sorry, I can’t really offer a strong opinion one way or the other about THAT series. But, what I can tell you is that I started feeling this way more and more the deeper I stayed engaged with the playoffs after the Mavs were eliminated. To me, there’s an obvious dividing line between the teams who have multiple creators who can hurt you and those who rely on a one man show, like Dallas does. There are other dividers, of course, but after watching Dallas play all year and then seeing how the other (better) teams approached those tough matchups, I was pretty convinced this would be a problem, eventually.
Like Reply
Take a step back and ask ourselves if Luka and KP have ever looked great together. They've had great games together sure, but have they ever looked in lockstep and truly benefited from each other or were their great games more about their individual greatness? Is the pairing even a great fit? We traded for KP during Luka's rookie season and probably while Rick was figuring out what do with him (hand him the keys and get out of his way). It's never going to be easy for another star to play alongside someone with as high of a usage rate as Luka. KP's commented on how he's being used and that he's being asked to do things offensively he isn't used to (number of 3PT attempts) and asked to give up certain things (that elbow jumper off the window). Maybe KP isn't the right fit next to Luka is what's been on my mind of late but maybe he's just not 100%.
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Okay, then if RC was blaming Brunson, bad on him.
I’m just telling you what I saw after watching twice.  I made the comment because I specifically singled him out the last two games.  Rick knows better than I and if he singled him out for poor defense, then he would know.
Like Reply
The issue with KP is that he does not have a bread and butter move in his offensive arsenal just yet. He needs an area on the floor that he can dominate in at a 50% clip.

Most bigs have that. Duncan had the post spot up bank shot and jump hooks. Shaq had the drop step jump hooks and post game.

Dirk had the midrange game. KP needs to focus on the mid range and stop shooting so many threes and be closer to Dirk offensively.

Consider the age of KP, I think its safe to assume he will never be able to be a consistent number 2 scorer and the Mavericks need the offense to be able to run through him.

I know the MBT will never do it but I would strongly consider trading for Townes and I would do KP for Townes straight up honestly
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:49 PM)cow Wrote: Take a step back and ask ourselves if Luka and KP have ever looked great together.  They've had great games together sure, but have they ever looked in lockstep and truly benefited from each other or were their great games more about their individual greatness?  Is the pairing even a great fit?  We traded for KP during Luka's rookie season and probably while Rick was figuring out what do with him (hand him the keys and get out of his way).  It's never going to be easy for another star to play alongside someone with as high of a usage rate as Luka.  KP's commented on how he's being used and that he's being asked to do things offensively he isn't used to (number of 3PT attempts) and asked to give up certain things (that elbow jumper off the window).  Maybe KP isn't the right fit next to Luka is what's been on my mind of late but maybe he's just not 100%.

Imo, this is at least worth considering, and I hope the Mavs are doing that. Considering.

It is KP’s contract that has put the team on this stressful clock. They desperately need to get one more impactful difference maker by the end of next summer, but the only reason for the rush is because of what the cap is going to look like after Luka signs his extension. SO, the real reason is the KP rookie max extension, if you follow me.

I am not saying I wouldn’t have made the trade. I am not saying I wasn’t excited about getting such a talented player on his rookie contract. I am not saying I wouldn’t have offered him the extension. I am saying that, like you, I am starting to wonder whether it is a fit. 

He’s probably never gonna play this poorly again, so it’s probably a bad time to talk about this, because the last thing I want is anyone thinking I am reacting this way to a single game.

(01-25-2021, 11:53 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I would do KP for Townes straight up honestly

Man, I don’t think Minnesota would even consider that.
Like Reply
This season is obviously wonky with Luka coming in out of shape, KP starting the season injured, COVID crew part one decimating the rotation and huge roster turnover with no real camp/preseason.

All that said the FO needs to be honest with their assessments of the roster and realize that Luka ain’t Dirk and they’re going to have to figure out a way to build the right roster around him to keep him in a Mavs uniform for the long long term.

Lot of decisions to be made starting with JRich and THJ but also with how to use Johnson’s expiring and what to do long term with KP.
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s probably never gonna play this poorly again, so it’s probably a bad time to talk about this, because the last thing I want is anyone thinking I am reacting this way to a single game.

This game has very little to do with my thinking overall.  I do continue to question KP's quick trigger on 3PT attempts, sure but it just leads me back to if we are using him correctly.  I also wonder if we are using Luka correctly.   I think a lot of that has to do with the talent around Luka, but at what point are we counting triple doubles like OKC fans did in the Westbrook MVP days?

Another question: When has KP looked best? That stretch when Luka was hurt, no?
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:35 PM)RDB Wrote: Just finished rewatching 1st quarter.  Brunson gave up 5 points on player guarded...3 on a difficult 3 by Green and 2 off a pick by Murray.
Second quarter player guarded by Brunson scored 0 (zero, Nada).  Got switched to Jokic twice and both led to turnovers.  I think he was SOLID.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:01 AM)RDB Wrote: Second quarter player guarded by Brunson scored 0 (zero, Nada).  Got switched to Jokic twice and both led to turnovers.  I think he was SOLID.

#Facts
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:32 PM)cow Wrote: Here, let's play a game.  I promise I haven't looked but I bet Harrison Barnes had magnificent +/- with GSW before Dallas signed him and he's never come close to matching those numbers again.  Was he more beneficial to his teammates in GSW or were they more beneficial to him?

HB's on/off numbers for each of his seasons....

GSW: +1.8
GSW: -14.0
GSW: +2.6
GSW: -1.4

DAL: +0.7
DAL: -9.3
DAL: -1.2

SAC: +2.1
SAC: -1.4
SAC: +9.7 (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT)

When you look at the overall arc you see the same reality through his whole career (taking out this year's small sample size). Being on GSW did not hide the reality of who he is as a player. On'off numbers over large sample sizes tend to be quite accurate at giving you a GENERAL, BALLPARK picture of the truth of a player. 

HB's numbers reveal that he is (my interpretation): a generally negative-impact player who in the right team situation can be a small positive-impact player.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:04 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 12:01 AM)RDB Wrote: Second quarter player guarded by Brunson scored 0 (zero, Nada). Got switched to Jokic twice and both led to turnovers. I think he was SOLID.

#Facts

All good news to me.
Like Reply
After the Mavs got that 106-104 lead, what plays followed that? A James Johnson contested 3 (lol ok), a THJ contested 3, KP turnover, and Luka turnover. 

Johnson had himself a decent game but is he a guy you lean towards in crunch time? THJ, believe it or not, has ZERO points in the clutch all season, ZERO. Then you have KP who was the worst player on the court tonight. 3 unreliable options. 

The Luka turnover is frustrating but something you have to endure; what he can do better is moving the ball around, direct the offense. A lot of times LeBron just nonchalantly sits there with or without the ball and tells his team where to go or what play to run. The Mavs crunch time offense is just way too 1-dimensional, where are the layers? I need that cake.

Also, did Burke even touch the ball? Why have him in the game? If he is going to just stand around on offense, bring in Wes Iwundu or Josh Green for defense at least. MPJ killed us for 8 points in that final 3:53
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:53 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Consider the age of KP, I think its safe to assume he will never be able to be a consistent number 2 scorer and the Mavericks need the offense to be able to run through him.

I think that's a pretty bold statement, considering that most GMs likely considered him a solid number ***one*** scorer "if he can stay healthy" prior to Dallas trading for him.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:01 AM)RDB Wrote: Second quarter player guarded by Brunson scored 0 (zero, Nada).  Got switched to Jokic twice and both led to turnovers.  I think he was SOLID.

Thanks for looking into that. I remembered Brunson getting bullied and struggling in the pick and roll, but I will trust your take. What I remember most clearly was how bad the team defense in the first half was with JJ in. I thought he was the biggest liability and commented as such in this thread.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:11 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 12:01 AM)RDB Wrote: Second quarter player guarded by Brunson scored 0 (zero, Nada). Got switched to Jokic twice and both led to turnovers. I think he was SOLID.

Thanks for looking into that. I remembered Brunson getting bullied and struggling in the pick and roll, but I will trust your take. What I remember most clearly was how bad the team defense in the first half was with JJ in. I thought he was the biggest liability and commented as such in this thread.

I pray goodness we're only trying to make him look good for a trade. Too big of a role. His minutes need to tank when the cavalry comes back.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:13 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I pray goodness we're only trying to make him look good for a trade. Too big of a role. His minutes need to tank when the cavalry comes back.

Yeah, him playing 30 minutes is NOT a recipe for winning. It really is unfortunate that Bey is not ready enough according to RC to get any of those minutes.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:13 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I pray goodness we're only trying to make him look good for a trade. Too big of a role. His minutes need to tank when the cavalry comes back.
Then I pray to goodness his replacement is a creator because he is the only one we have other than Luka.
Like Reply
(01-25-2021, 11:49 PM)cow Wrote: Take a step back and ask ourselves if Luka and KP have ever looked great together.  They've had great games together sure, but have they ever looked in lockstep and truly benefited from each other or were their great games more about their individual greatness?  Is the pairing even a great fit?  We traded for KP during Luka's rookie season and probably while Rick was figuring out what do with him (hand him the keys and get out of his way).  It's never going to be easy for another star to play alongside someone with as high of a usage rate as Luka.  KP's commented on how he's being used and that he's being asked to do things offensively he isn't used to (number of 3PT attempts) and asked to give up certain things (that elbow jumper off the window).  Maybe KP isn't the right fit next to Luka is what's been on my mind of late but maybe he's just not 100%.

I agree this is where I am on this as well

I do not think the KP/Luka Pairing is a great fit...KP is a 7ft volume scorer which does not mesh with Luka's high rated efficiency. 

Luka needs someone that can score at at high clip inside and outside that is more of a compliment in the pick and role. 

MBT would never do it but I would trade KP
Like Reply