Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...6139222016
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dneedles12/status/13...8082026501
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 12:21 AM)MFFL Wrote: According to the Athletic, they really have limited ability to get Giannis unless it is a sign and trade

Less Than a Max Slot
While the Miami Heat can still get to a max slot if necessary, Bam Adebayo’s extension makes that significantly more painful since they will start the 2021 offseason with about $24 million in space and no contracts for players they are happy to move. That $24 million will likely go down as well because both Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn should reach the starter criteria this season, which increases both their qualifying offer and cap hold from $2.1 million each to about $4.7 million, wiping out another $5 million in spending power. [Were in “Max-Plus” in mid-November.]

Honestly, I think Heat are now after Oladipo rather than Giannis. 
I think they don't see a realistic chance to get him, and in the east they can qualify to the finals again this year that it isn't worth it to give up everything for him
Like Reply
If the Heat want Oladipo then are we sure Oladipo is trash as folks on this board would have you believe? Last time I checked the Heat were a pretty well run franchise (even if they had some missed in the post-Lebron era).

I guess it's a moot point bc if the Heat want him then they shall have him. Mavs better off making moves via trade and trying to keep Richardson + maybe THJ unless they can upgrade his spot.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 10:40 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: ...are we sure Oladipo is trash as folks on this board would have you believe? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Dear Giannis,

We want to apologize for trading down in the 2013 draft. It was really you that we wanted, not Dwight Howard and not Shane Larkin. Please come home.

With much love,

MBT
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 11:57 AM)madmavsgirl Wrote: Dear Giannis,

We want to apologize for trading down in the 2013 draft.  It was really you that we wanted, not Dwight Howard and not Shane Larkin.  Please come home.

With much love,

MBT

Wowowowowow!!!! MMG!!!!!!!!!!
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 11:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 10:40 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: ...are we sure Oladipo is trash as folks on this board would have you believe?

I'm pretty stunned that you would say that after your running narrative during the playoffs of how well-put-together the Heat were etc. That's SBJ's point - if the Heat want him, maybe he's a lot better than we think.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 12:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm pretty stunned that you would say that after your running narrative during the playoffs of how well-put-together the Heat were etc. That's SBJ's point - if the Heat want him, maybe he's a lot better than we think.

We have absolutely no evidence that "the Heat want him." Khaled was speculating. 

I don't think ANYONE wants him, at least not until he actually proves that he'll every play well again. If he does, then awesome. My prediction is that no, he won't, and that he won't get a max contract this summer. From anyone.
Like Reply
Since both sides appear to be stalling on the extension for some reason, I noticed an odd contractual nuance that may or may not be related.

When teams trade for players, they normally can't be aggregated with other players in a new trade for 2 months. Because of the abbreviated schedule this year, apparently that rule was temporarily changed so that the delay is only 19 days. And with all of the '20 transactions officially starting in mid November, that deadline will be expiring this week for a lot of guys which could open up a new wave of potential trades.

So I see three potential things happening: 

1. Milwaukee has one more trade lined up involving a recently traded player, and Giannis is waiting for that to go through before signing his extension.
2. Milwaukee plans to trade Giannis because he won't sign an extension, but has to wait for the clock to run out on required players in the deal coming back.
3. It's all completely unrelated and Giannis will make some sort of statement either way whenever he feels like it.

For Mavs-related conspiracy theorists (like me), note for the purposes of #2 that (according to TradeNBA) Josh Richardson is eligible to be aggregated in a new trade on Monday and James Johnson on Thursday. Maybe JJB is in camp because Dallas already has a deal lined up (with one more guy going out than coming in) that they simply can't announce yet. 

And maybe the guy Dallas is targeting is the same one avoiding the press in Milwaukee this week. Wink
Like Reply
Like Reply
Tyler once again with a great post...very well laid out with some interesting info...

I would love your for your #2 scenario to happen...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WiseMailMan/status/1...1097712644
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 02:34 PM)Tyler Wrote: Since both sides appear to be stalling on the extension for some reason, I noticed an odd contractual nuance that may or may not be related.

When teams trade for players, they normally can't be aggregated with other players in a new trade for 2 months. Because of the abbreviated schedule this year, apparently that rule was temporarily changed so that the delay is only 19 days. And with all of the '20 transactions officially starting in mid November, that deadline will be expiring this week for a lot of guys which could open up a new wave of potential trades.

So I see three potential things happening: 

1. Milwaukee has one more trade lined up involving a recently traded player, and Giannis is waiting for that to go through before signing his extension.
2. Milwaukee plans to trade Giannis because he won't sign an extension, but has to wait for the clock to run out on required players in the deal coming back.
3. It's all completely unrelated and Giannis will make some sort of statement either way whenever he feels like it.

For Mavs-related conspiracy theorists (like me), note for the purposes of #2 that (according to TradeNBA) Josh Richardson is eligible to be aggregated in a new trade on Monday and James Johnson on Thursday. Maybe JJB is in camp because Dallas already has a deal lined up (with one more guy going out than coming in) that they simply can't announce yet. 

And maybe the guy Dallas is targeting is the same one avoiding the press in Milwaukee this week. Wink

# 1.  So the Hawks agreed to help out the Bucks after they blew the Bagdanovic S&T.  Now the (Hawks) are waiting for his aggregated trade date to trade him to the Bucks'.  OK??  Might explain why they also traded for Snell and signed Dunn.  But what would go back to Atlanta?
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 03:13 PM)chaparral Wrote: # 1.  So the Hawks agreed to help out the Bucks after they blew the Bagdanovic S&T.  Now the (Hawks) are waiting for his aggregated trade date to trade him to the Bucks'.  OK??  Might explain why they also traded for Snell and signed Dunn.  But what would go back to Atlanta?
Bogdanovic wasn´t matched on Nov. 24th, so that would still be a week away. I´m not sure the Hawks want to risk that though. Silver might have more chill than Stern, but this would basically be a big FU to the league.
Like Reply
[Image: ousn0585rm361.jpg?width=449&auto=webp&s=...edc33f83ec]

Tongue
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 03:13 PM)chaparral Wrote: # 1.  So the Hawks agreed to help out the Bucks after they blew the Bagdanovic S&T.  Now the (Hawks) are waiting for his aggregated trade date to trade him to the Bucks'.  OK??  Might explain why they also traded for Snell and signed Dunn.  But what would go back to Atlanta?

Nah -- that ship has sailed. The trade restrictions for guys acquired via trade are different than those for guys acquired via a RFA offer sheet. I believe Bogi can't be traded until mid February. He's a Hawk.
Like Reply

Giannis, c'mon man.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 11:53 PM)Hypermav Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Giannis, c'mon man.

TBH radio silence from his crowd is the best possible scenario for a team vying for his services next summer. 

Even still radio silence from Giannis doesn't and shouldn't signal he's not resigning all-together. Giannis signing his supermax right now just doesn't make sense. He objectively shouldn't do it. EVEN if he wants to remain in MIL. He holds ALL the leverage by not resigning. Nothing next season will/can change the possibility of him getting that contract. It WILL be there. 

So why should he forego the opportunity to keep the pressure on the MIL front office and ownership group? If he locks in now, the Bucks don't have to do ANYTHING. Even if Giannis asks for a trade, they don't have to honor it. If Giannis wants the Bucks to be a legit championship contender, the threat of him leaving is the biggest weapon he can use to spur a historically frugal and ineffectual franchise into going all in. 

And it should speak mountains that in what might be one of the most pivotal offseasons in franchise history, the Bucks largely swung and miss by NOT making the big trade. Yes Holiday was a great get, but is he alone worth 5 picks? Wouldn't CP3 have been just as good if not better than Holiday and cost a fraction of the price? Not to mention that they gave up George Hill, who by all accounts was a key rotation player and turned in a helluva season last year (9/3/3/ on 51/46/85). And then we get into the whole Bogdon debacle where from every angle it was FUBAR. I understand the argument that almost every team tampers and if you don't you're behind, but allowing a leak of a finalized SnT deal for a RFA days before free agency actually began where it is literally impossible to talk without tampering is insane. 

Further, if we analyze the rest of their offseason, the Bucks FO messing things up didn't stop there. They completely botched Pat Connaughton's deal (here's a great little thread detailing the ineptitude of the Bucks FO https://twitter.com/squaresense/status/1...0736750595). Their next game changing signings are DJ Augustine overpay (seriously 3/21?), Bobby "Black Eye" Portis, Torrey Craig (*I actually like this signing but it's not a game changer), and Nik Stauskas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEK_d-SFfCQ&ab_channel=AdamSpinella). 

The Bucks lost Robin Lopez, Wes Matthews, Bledsoe, Hill, Korver, and Marvin Williams. And replaced them with what was said above. On paper, does this look like the offseason splash everyone was asking from the Bucks to ensure Giannis they care about winning it all? They addressed almost zero of the issues that prevented teams from enforcing the "Giannis Rules". 

Giannis should and probably will hold out. Nothing is going to change. That won't stop E!SPN from trying to weave an entire narrative from something that should be a non-factor and is the smartest basketball decision from all sides.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 11:57 AM)madmavsgirl Wrote: Dear Giannis,

We want to apologize for trading down in the 2013 draft.  It was really you that we wanted, not Dwight Howard and not Shane Larkin.  Please come home.

With much love,

MBT

Haha, this used to bother me a lot but I'm over it.  99% sure we would not have landed Luka if we took Giannis back then, and I prefer Luka anyway.  And maybe we could have been the Bucks now, sweating that Giannis would leave to join Luka somewhere else that's not Dallas.  I like where we are, whether Giannis joins us or not.
Like Reply