Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
@"ItsGoTime" I agree that Miami is closer. Mostly, I think what makes them closer is that they have significantly more experience. The Mavericks didn’t have Crowder, Butler or Dragic, basically, But in the long run, I think they might be better off as a result of staying young. The surprise of this year’s off-season is that our Mavs elected not to add older, experienced players. This is a nod to long-term planning, in my opinion, and very welcome.

The only real, young difference maker the Heat have is Adabayo, and while I’d LOVE that guy on the Mavs, he’s no Luka. Still, Miami is and probably always will be a very well run team. They will figure some things out, and I’ll never be surprised when they’re good.

I think the Mavericks are going to take a real step forward this year. I expect Kleber, DFS, Burke, Luka, Brunson, KP… pretty much everyone to have a better understanding of what it takes to win the NBA. I’m very, very hopeful about that.
Like Reply
IF Burke and Terry can mostly replace Curry's bench production, and IF KP can stay relatively healthy (especially in the playoffs), and IF JRich is as big of an upgrade over Wright as we expect him to be, then the Mavs should definitely be able to make some noise in the playoffs (2nd round appearance with a competitive chance of conf. finals). They already showed signs in the bubble of learning from their clutch failures throughout the regular season. Simply not blowing as many late leads as they did last year could result in significantly better placement, especially since a couple teams ahead of them (OKC and Houston) should be worse this season, although Phoenix will be far better.

This is not even discussing the possibility of Luka taking another leap. Despite how transcendent a player he already is, he still has a lot of room to grow, especially in terms of 3-point shooting. If he improves his shot selection and shot-making ability on those shots just a little bit, he'll be the legit MVP frontrunner this season.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 08:57 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 04:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What I’M saying is that the Mavs would ALSO have made that choice. They’ve passed nothing up that resembles Adabayo. I think Miami would’ve PREFERRED having him wait a year, but when they saw that this tactic might upset him, they of course made the sensible choice. 

Crowder helped them a great deal last year, but they quickly adopted the “take a one year deal or leave it” approach with him. This is smart, because the core of their talent is not yet solid enough for a role player like that to make a noticeable difference past this one season. 
They are able to do it much easier than we are cause they already have a group of players that they KNOW can get them to the finals. They need to tweek to get them the championship. We aren't all that close to where they are. So of course the Mavs would have made that decision, probably would have made it before making Adebayo got upset about it even (if that is indeed what happened). 

I agree with what you're saying above, but that has nothing to do with what I was saying, so it seemed like an odd jumping off point to make your statement.
Are they that much closer?

Giannis 37
Butler 36
Adebayo 28
Seven caphold 4.9
Herro 4
Robinson 2.2

Dragic, Olynyk, Nunn, Igoudala, Crowder, Meyers-Leonard will all be gone from that team. They have to give away Achiuwa to make the math work. They have no PG.

Other option: How does it sit with Giannis, if they want to trade his friend Bam "for him" and what team do they have left, if they move Butler.

Our roster

Giannis 37
Porzingis 31
Richardson 12
Doncic 10
Kleber 8
DFS 4
Green 3
Terry 2
Brunson 2
Bey 1.5
Capholds 1.4

If this decision was simply based on which roster gives him the best chance of winning the Mavs are it, but players are humans.
Like Reply
Pelton did the math:

Quote:Can Miami still sign Giannis as a free agent?

Yes, but it's a lot more complicated, based on current salary-cap estimates.

The first important issue for the Heat is whether Adebayo achieves the criteria necessary to boost his salary in the first year of the extension from 25% of the salary cap (a projected $28.1 million) to 30% of the cap ($33.7 million) by either making an All-NBA team or winning Defensive Player of the Year. Adebayo finished fifth in the All-NBA voting for the three center spots last season and also finished fifth in Defensive Player of the Year voting, so both are reasonable possibilities.

If Adebayo is at the 25% max, Miami could potentially clear sufficient room to offer Antetokounmpo a max contract (starting at that same $33.7 million) by stripping down the roster to just All-Stars Adebayo and Jimmy Butler ($36 million). That would be painful, forcing the Heat to trade rising star Tyler Herro (as well as 2020 first-round pick Precious Achiuwa) and renounce the rights to restricted free agent Duncan Robinson.

Still, just having a path to signing Giannis outright would be important for Miami in getting the Bucks to the negotiating table next year for a sign-and-trade that would allow them to retain additional players. The Heat could send back some of their own free agents in a double sign-and-trade to match salaries while offering future first-round picks to make it worth Milwaukee's participation.

Should Adebayo make All-NBA or win Defensive Player of the Year and boost his salary north of 25% of the cap, the math gets even more difficult for Miami. In that scenario, the Heat would have to trade either Adebayo or Butler in order to create max cap space.
Like Reply
They really only have to create the possibility of getting max cap space, though. As long as they can theoretically do it, they could easily work out a sign-and-trade with Milwaukee if Giannis chooses them. Same thing with the Mavs.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 10:54 PM)Branduil Wrote: They really only have to create the possibility of getting max cap space, though. As long as they can theoretically do it, they could easily work out a sign-and-trade with Milwaukee if Giannis chooses them. Same thing with the Mavs.

What I am envisioning happening with the Mavs (and could work similarly for the Heat or someone else) if we are lucky enough to attract Giannis or another top FA is this:

With so much expected spending room players are going to get overpaid, and if THJ and JRich perform well they may be targets. It would be great to not strip down too much while landing a big fish, so if some 3rd team wants THJ at something like $20 million, we do a multi-team S&T where we bring in Giannis, send out THJ to 3rd team, and send draft compensation to Milwaukee. We would still need to add some extra $ out, and that could either be done by paying the 3rd team (or bringing in a 4th) to take Powell or less desirably Maxi. We can then keep JRich bird rights as an over the cap team and re-sign him. If we end up liking THJ better than JRich then swap them around. We just have to have at least one of them play well enough to be a valued FA to open up the possibility.

Yeah it’s complicated and may need someone better with cap info like @"DanSchwartzman" to check the math to make sure it is actually possible, but if Mil or other FA team doesn’t want to play along then we just open the cap space anyway.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 09:58 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Are they that much closer?
This question is missing the point of closer. The closer is referring to closer to winning a championship now. Yes, Miami is closer to winning a championship right now than the Mavs are. So many tangents taken off of these posts it's really hard to keep up.
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 12:35 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 09:58 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Are they that much closer?
This question is missing the point of closer. The closer is referring to closer to winning a championship now. Yes, Miami is closer to winning a championship right now than the Mavs are. So many tangents taken off of these posts it's really hard to keep up.
The "Closer" was heavily advertised on TNT when it came out. A lot was made out of Keira Sedgewick moving from movie acting to TV.

also

Luka, JRich and KP are the "closers" for our team, anyone else will be in-game decisions.

There, I covered a couple tangents, let's see where YOU can take it!!!!!

(staring down Rasheedswhitespot!!!!)
Like Reply
Giannis Antetokounmpo is going to sign his supermax contract extension with the Milwaukee Bucks, per Jackie MacMullan of ESPN.

“My intel is that he’s going to sign the supermax. That’s what I’ve been told, it hasn’t happened yet. But I think that’s what we’re all expecting to happen,” the NBA Insider told Bill Simmons of the Ringer.

https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/...2895733763
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I will feel so sorry for him if/when he does.
Like Reply
Finally. Time to move on.
Like Reply
Alright, guess we now get to see what he’ll officially do though it could be up to December 21st.
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 11:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Finally. Time to move on.
[Image: AgonizingAccurateEquestrian-max-1mb.gif]
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
At least the Lakers don't get him.  Maybe Miami already knew?
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 12:13 PM)Hypermav Wrote: At least the Lakers don't get him.  Maybe Miami already knew?

i don’t think so. I think you make Bam happy regardless of what Giannis is doing.
Like Reply
I won't be moving on until Giannis officially signs on the dotted line. Until then it's all speculation.

I will say that I'd be happy if Giannis resigns. Its great for the league a star is showing loyalty. But if he does want out, Dallas is the only place for him Tongue
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/fmaddenNBA/status/13...0884972544
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 02:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I won't be moving on until Giannis officially signs on the dotted line. Until then it's all speculation.

I will say that I'd be happy if Giannis resigns. Its great for the league a star is showing loyalty. But if he does want out, Dallas is the only place for him Tongue

Fully agree except he's missing an outworldish chance to form a European dynasty with multiple championships guaranteed.

If he does pass on this, I hope for him Milwaukee pays him back for this.
Like Reply
When is the trade deadline this year?

I wanna see some action with all our expiring contracts once Giannis is off the board.
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 05:49 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: When is the trade deadline this year?

I wanna see some action with all our expiring contracts once Giannis is off the board.

...but only if it's GOOD action.

(11-29-2020, 02:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I will say that I'd be happy if Giannis resigns. Its great for the league a star is showing loyalty.

I won't, and it has nothing to do with the Mavericks. 

I've probably mentioned this, but I used to go to the Chicago/Milwaukee area once a month for work. Through the process of familiarizing myself with the area I developed a healthy contempt for everything about Milwaukee, with the notable exception of their fairly interesting bar scene. Believe me when I say that the downtown area is always torn up to the point where you might think you're in Beirut, nobody who lives there is happy about it, and every sports fan in the area is completely and totally disillusioned. Outside of the packers, the consensus is that Wisconsin's pro teams are all terribly run by the ultimate cheapskate owners. 

The Bucks are about to fall short of going to the finals again. If, by some miracle, they do make it that far, the Lakers or Clippers will beat them in 5 games without having to pay attention. It Giannis hasn't signed, the narrative will be about his impending free agency, and in that scenario he'll be viewed as a savior for any number of teams by the league at large. If he HAS signed on to stay, the narrative will be "Giannis isn't really good enough to get it done, is he?" It's the same old news cycle - we've seen Dirk go through it firsthand. But unlike Dirk, Giannis is miscast as a ball-handler/creator, so he will be powerless to change this narrative. In other words, the narrative might actually be correct in his case. My guess is that if he signs in Milwaukee he will effectively be putting an expiration date on his own relevance. 

I would HATE to see him end up with the Lakers, but for the sake of Giannis and the NBA, I would much, much rather see him in Toronto or Miami, two well run teams, than stuck with a franchise who doesn't seem to understand the salary cap as well as 20-30 people in this community. They should blow that organization up and move it to Seattle, imo.
Like Reply