Poll: What's your opinion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A+
38.78%
19 38.78%
A-
44.90%
22 44.90%
B
16.33%
8 16.33%
C
0%
0 0%
I miss Curry
0%
0 0%
I hate the MBT
0%
0 0%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate the Mavs draft night
B-
I know you will see me harsh on MBT but I will explain my parameters. 

A-When I judge a draft pick, I judge it based on my opinion on the player before we select him, not after. Obviously until we see him play NBA games. 

This is because NBA fans always talk themselves into believing in the pick, that their team must know something they don't, that there is a plan. And the truth both are correct for each pick that was ever made, but there is still bad picks. 
I've seen Memphis fans talking themselves into believing in Thabeet, Kings fans thinking that Vlad must know something if he is passing on Luka, and most recently Mavs fans trying to talk themselves into reasons MBT passed on BolBol for Roby

It is just a psychological trick that I try to avoid. No disrespect to anyone here. 

B-I put minimal value on the trade, since it could have been made anytime and not necessarily the draft, I put most of the judgement on who we select tbh. 

18th pick takes more value than the other two, for obvious reasons. 

C-This is my opinion, but I also take the opinion of smart folks in this board and around the media into accounts. 

So, about our picks 

Josh Green with the 18th pick: C-

I simply didn't like green for the Mavs one bit, and as someone said it seemed that no one here was arguing for him before the draft. He is a wing with no ball handling ability which limits his upside. 
He has a 3 & D potential, but he needs work on both ends of the floor. The problem with 1st round picks that sometimes , due to hype and contract, teams aren't so patient with them as 2nd round or undrafted player for example, as teams might take it slowly with them.
 Green will have to make some sort of impact before 2022 to maintain a roster spot IMHO. 
The sample size of his shooting isn't big, but it gives us hope. 

I would have prefered S.Bey, or taking Bey and take Kennard from the Pistons, though the later has only one year left in his deal. 

Tyrell Terry with 31 pick: A
Big fan of Terry, before the draft. I think he is one of those players you can see their role from day one as a shooters who will develop nicely while doing so. My comparison for him is a Seth Curry himself, but with a career head start 
He has the shooting, worth ethic and game to stay as contributor in this league for long time. 

Tyler Bey with 36th pick: C+
I said it before the draft, I am not his biggest fan, like at all. He gives me Wesley Johnson vibes. 
But many here, whom I respect their opinion, do really like him. 
There weren't many options left, no Bol Bol waiting to be grabbed this year, no senior that has a good floor that we can hope to get etc. So it goes from E to C+ for me. 

Freddie Gillespie & Nate Hinton with our 3rd round picks, aka ,immediately signed undrafted players: B 

Both feels like a solid get for undrafted guy, not 23-24 players who for 2-way spot. 

The Curry-Richardson trade: B+
Sixers fan on the internet wanted it to happen, Mavs fans on the internet wanted it to happen. It was just written in the sky  Big Grin

It was a logical for both sides, just too logical not to happen, losing Curry sucks but we needed something for defense, and we needed to pay something to get it. Not a highway robbery or anything so no A for it. It is a win-win trade that should get B
But, they get extra points for 2 things
-Forcing Sixers to give us something for it, 36th pick isn't that valuable but it is still something. 
-The timing, I think the clearly waited until they get the shooter they want from the draft, as the draft had many good shooters, they probably agreed on the trade once Bane and Terry weren't selected by 29th pick.  

The approach of the night: A
I don't like green, but there are things I like from those picks.
The Mavs has a grasp of the reality and where they are. They know they aren't contenders, they know they aren't one piece away yet. They know they need youth and they need to grow organically. 
One of my worst nightmares was thinking the Mavs are just trying to win as quickly as they can without realizing it is a process that need patience, without aiming to get players who are younger than Luka who can be his teammates for next 8+ years. 

The Mavs approached the night the way I wanted. 
They tried their best to get a potential All-Star in Haliburton (I feel bad for him btw, might never reach his potential there) and when failed stayed on their coarse and get the player they believed is best available player.  
They valued defense and shooting, they came from the night with 5 rookies who will take 5 of 17 roster spots. 
They handled the trade well. 

PS: I am not the type who is too generous with his grades, A need to be for exceptional night. This one was good but not exceptional
Like Reply
Yeah I'll disagree.

I do not think you grade players in a vacuum on what they are before they're drafted. Of COURSE you have to take into account their fit and the plan, and execution of said plan.

The MBT absolutely had a great plan in place, zeroed in on their targets, and executed their plan to perfection.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give them a lower grade because I, with my vast knowledge of NBA prospects, believe I know more than they do in regards to the players, and what they'll actually be on the team.

It's like saying that a Morey made a bad trade for getting Curry and sending out Josh Richardson just because Richardson is the better 2 way player. Morey knows that he was a bad fit and needed shooting.

Just seems like a lot of words to force it to be a less than a great night for the Mavs(and it WAS a GREAT night)
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 05:08 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: I am not the type who is too generous with his grades, A need to be for exceptional night. This one was good but not exceptional

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
If I were to predict the future based on the past, with Luka, we are going to become an over the cap team. But not until next year. When we hopefully take a shot at you know who. But after that, we will need lots of cheap guys to fill in around the vet minimums and stars that hopefully we’ve acquired. Getting three projects this year with a year to start developing them, means we could see a huge payoff in year 3 when hopefully one of the three have developed. That’s how we found Finney Smith and now he’s a solid rotation player. Do that again and get an advantage from quality vets wanting to join Luka, and we are really in a good position. Im assuming a lot, that one of these 3 will become a rotation player long-term, and that we will add a 3rd star to Luka/KP and go over the cap to keep all our guys and that vets will want to come here on the minimum. But that’s the pipe dream scenario and for the first time it doesn’t feel like the dust chip long shot.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 05:26 PM)LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT Wrote: hopefully one of the three have developed

That is exactly what you anticipate if you did your job scouting. One of these three guys will be a rotation player moving into Luka's prime. If you are lucky, two. If you struck gold, all three.
Like Reply
I need time to evaluate this. I really like the Richardson move. Curry is too inconsistent and especially when it matters. One night the best shooter ever, the other is completely gone. Hard to win championship like that. His defense is weak and his game is non intimidating to the opponents as it could possibly be. Richardson fits this team better overall. Brings more toughness and yet maintains the shooting level to keep defenses honest single teams on Luka. 

I do not like the Tyler Bey pick so far. Besides reminding in stature to Giannis, although he needs to build his strenght up considerably to even be close to this type of athleticism, I see a quiet weak player under the rim with limited feel for the game, and too often you see the movements that are just not based on that natural feel for the game, its not fluid and planned before time what will happen in a given play. 

I will watch a lot more of Tyler now and I hope im wrong. If he pans out to be a star, this will most likely not be in the first many years, this is a longer project. He is very raw. I agree his athletic ability has the potential to become from another planet. His ceiling is very high, he might be the Giannis of this draft, but this will take long and most likely his floor is also low so I think there is a high risk high reward type of player we have here. He will need offense to be able to get minutes, no matter how good he will be on defense and this will take time as well. To me it seems he needs to get his inside game under the rim improved if he wants to contribute on offense. 

The more I see of Josh Green the better I like him. Overall a very solid player. Not the highest ceiling of a superstar or a star. But he will contribute well. A safe pick it seems. He has incredible defensive ability, Im really amazed how well his footwork is, and this might be by far the best defender of this draft. He stays with defenders as he was Champ Bailey. I think he has enough of offense to get some considerable minutes, but his offensive game might me his career limitation in what he achieves. He has many skills and I think he will have a good NBA career. 

Terry seems explosive and might able to replace what Curry did. Wont happen in the very start however, this will take time. He looks as a promising prospect. He will contribute way faster than Bey I think. I really like the way he plays. His size might be his limitation on defense. 

No doubt that this is not a major improvement we have made. We did well with Richardson deal and improved on our needs. This was a good draft but not outstanding, I think that title goes to Pistons that got two potential stars. We got two prospects that will I think be part of important rotation early and one that will develop into a good starter. We have a raw prospect that might turn into Giannis but most likely will be limited player. 

If we want to win the championship we would need to bring in Millsap and/or Hayward. Then we are really talking big things next season.

One thing that is rarely discussed here is how good Luka and KP really are. They are absolutely amazing, but sometimes they get labelled as that level as perhaps Lerbon and Davis. I do not think they are there yet and it might take more for them to reach that ultimate level, where those two can win the championship without the third and fourth stars. We saw Lakers win by those two dominating and the rest of team I do not think it was better than the rest of Mavs roster when you take away Luka and KP. My point is that we need to keep searching for that third star sooner rather than later. Cant expect to go all the way with Richardson, Green, Tyler and Bey. Need to have Hawyard, Millsap type of players while the young develop. I am in no doubt that Luka and KP will reach that Lebron Davis level soon, but I would not bet on it happens next season, I hope they keep improving and their chemistry.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 05:15 PM)Drew Wrote: I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give them a lower grade because I, with my vast knowledge of NBA prospects, believe I know more than they do in regards to the players, and what they'll actually be on the team.

Hmmmm, what?
This can be said about every move on every team. 

Why do we have this discussions then? Hey, let's all agree with every move they make because they know the team better. Who are we to judge those moves?
Like Reply
It would be a C for me. They got wing help, but I would have opted for Saddiq Bey instead of Green.
Like Reply

Mavs discussion starts at 43:30 - good discussion specially on Tyler Terry
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 04:12 PM)Davevoid Wrote: Full disclaimer: I don't follow College Ball and didn't get into this year's draft, at all, so I've never even heard of any of these guys before.

Having said that, basically all draft analysts liked our picks, neutral fans are pretty positive, and you guys are downright ECSTATIC. Which says a lot.
So, naturally, I voted B... Big Grin

Same, lol.

Now I experience what it fells like to be a casual fan and don't really know what's going on. But if guys like KL are happy, I am happy.
Like Reply
Yahoo grades are in

Dallas Mavericks
[b][b]Grade:[/b] A[/b]
[b]In:[/b] Josh Richardson; (18) Josh Green; (31) Tyrell Terry; (36) Tyler Bey
[b]Out:[/b] Seth Curry
The Mavericks entered the draft with the 18th and 31st picks, nabbed Green and Terry, and also turned Seth Curry into Richardson and Bey, all perfectly complementing Luka Doncic’s ball-dominant stardom.
Terry is a lights-out shooter and widely considered the steal of the draft at No. 31. Even if his slight frame (6-2, 174) will limit his defensive prowess, he should seamlessly replace Curry’s role in time. Richardson can help on the wing now, while both Green and Bey develop into similar 3-and-D role contributors around him.

Other teams receiving an A: Pistons, Clippers, Sixers, Kings, Wizards
Like Reply