Poll: What's your opinion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A+
38.78%
19 38.78%
A-
44.90%
22 44.90%
B
16.33%
8 16.33%
C
0%
0 0%
I miss Curry
0%
0 0%
I hate the MBT
0%
0 0%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate the Mavs draft night
A++
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
They got two raw prospects who could become defensive monsters. I trust they knew why they took Green over Bey. Curry trade was phenomenal. 

A+
Like Reply
It got better the later it got. They went with my preferred off-season strategy, though I´m not sure about Green and Terry.

A+ for the trade and overall strategy, B- for the picks.

But still far better to have Josh Green than Danny Grenn.
Like Reply
POLL PLEASE!
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 11:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote: POLL PLEASE!
Took 10 minutes to make the poll.due to site issues...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
A+ 

Green pick was reasonable; athletic 3/D wing who is still very young. I think his offense is going to take some time though but we'll see. 

Terry pick was whatever to me but he can easily fill in Seth's minor role of knocking down a couple wide open 3's per game and on a much cheaper contract.

Then the Seth Curry trade for Richardson/Bey was highway robbery. Seth was a negative player for us now we switch him for a legit starting guard and a young prospect with elite defensive potential? 

To me the message was clear tonight, WE WANT DEFENSE! THANK YOU DONNIE!
Like Reply
Bey jumps out of the gym/10
Like Reply
A-. I still think that they didn't know they were doing the Richardson trade when they drafted 18 and bet they would have picked differently had they known. Green was definitely a reach at 18 just as Terry at 31 and Tiger at 36 were steals.
Like Reply
One thing I think I would have done differently in particular: trade for #25 and #28 instead of stay at #18. 

But again, I am going back to the film of Green to give it another deep look.
Like Reply
B+ for me

Their overall asset management was fantastic but I'm unsure about Josh Green.  For a draft night grade, it's hard for me to go with an A if I'm unsure about the top pick.  (and no one else wanted Green at 18 either before tonight)

Still a very positive night.  Lots of young assets accumulated.  Got a 3 and D wing starter.
Like Reply
Great, great night, for so many reasons. I'm so excited I can barely type. 

1) The Green pick - at first, this was underwhelming, especially because of the players who unexpectedly fell to that spot. But, seeing the rest of the plan, I'm so relieved about this, in hindsight. I thought at first this guy would have to contribute heavy minutes from day one for the team to be good. HE DOES NOT. Now, all of a sudden, there is time for him to grow into the promise that his athletic ability dangles. He's a 2-3, imo, which means he really can't be raw on offense at all and play crunch-time minutes. 

2) Tyrell Terry was in the top 10 on a lot of people's mocks. He's not big, and he'll never be an All-Star PG, but he COULD be another Seth Curry, and honestly, I think he'll be BETTER. If you liked the fit of Curry/Luka, his size shouldn't bother you. He's better off of the bounce than Curry (like a cross between Curry and Burke in the playoffs, kind of?) and I think he can contribute off the bench from day 1. He might even grown into a secondary playmaker at some point. Great value at that point in the draft, but AGAIN, I was underwhelmed when the pick came in because I was like "HOW THE HELL IS HE GOING TO PLAY BEHIND CURRY??" I never really considered him for the Mavs because obviously, you can't have TWO undersized combo guards playing heavy minutes. But...

3) THEN CAME ONE OF THE BEST TRADES I THINK THIS TEAM HAS EVER MADE, AND EVERYTHING BECAME CLEAR. 

4) Josh Richardson is not a savior. He's not an all star, he's not even a difference maker, really. But, he IS a TWO WAY PLAYER. He is unquestionably a starting guard who can and will add veteran (but not TOO veteran) savvy and toughness to this team. He was weaned into the league in Miami, and we all know how they handle their business there. He spent much of last season speaking low key (in a professional way) about how much more organized Miami was than Philly and how much more accountable everyone was there. He's a winning player in the NBA, imo. He'll instantly be the team's best defender and HE IS GOOD ENOUGH ON OFFENSE FOR HIS BALLS NOT TO SHRIVEL IN THE LAST FIVE MINUTES AGAINST GOOD TEAMS. He'll shoot WAY better here, like he did in Miami. I wouldn't call him a playmaker, per say, but he's better in that area than THJ, Curry or DFS - THAT IS FOR SURE. This is an upgrade, and a player that we spent a week at some point here imagining as a trade target for #18. 

5) BUT THAT'S NOT ALL, they got Kamm's darling, Tyler Bey, and much lower than we thought he'd go! Kamm thinks he's a wing, but I don't. I think he can switch onto wings for 10-15 seconds at a time (eventually) but imo, his way onto the floor is Dwight Powell's path. Small ball big. ENERGY. He's going to run the floor like he's on fire, and he will often be the best athlete on the floor (how often can you say that about a Dallas player). He'll be the rim running roll guy when he plays, and Kamm thinks he'll shoot some 3's, eventually. If he does, great. As KP ages, this is the dude who's going to cover up for him on defense. Willie Cauley WHOOOOO?

6) But the absolute best part, imo, and this is a difficult thing to express, is the PLAN! They did not throw assets out the window for old, broken down win now types. We all assumed they would, and while that is the right approach some years (even if your fans hate it) it was NOT the right move for this season. They are NOT going to win a championship this season. Far, far from it, in fact, and NOTHING short of adding Kawhi or Lebron was going to change that. We've all been super depressed about their lack of assets with all their draft capital going to Porzingis, and they very easily could've gone all-in to win as much as possible over the next couple of years in order to make those draft picks really not matter. But they didn't - they were honest with themselves, and they added youth. Not only that, but I think they might've added the RIGHT youth. 

Somehow, in the midst of the trade CHAOS going on right now with draft capital (a currency they don't possess) flying all over the place, they managed to turn one role player on a good contract into MORE draft capital and a starter who, while not a home run addition, fills a very real need for them. AND HE'S NOT A MILLION YEARS OLD. 

They got FOUR interesting players today without having any assets to trade. They formed a plan and stuck with it. They tricked teams into thinking they wanted Poku and Bane in order to make it more likely to succeed.

Luka
KP trade
Tonight

The Mavs are having a masterful stretch to start this decade off right, imo. I promise I'm not trying to be a homer. I really, truly feel this way.
Like Reply
Anything but an A+ is too low imo.

Had a plan. Stuck to it. Better team today than yesterday.

Better defensively even if they lost some offense(I suspect they have a plan for that too)
Like Reply
This team, with some gained experience, went from Frankenstein's monster to a long, athletic switchable lineup that I can genuinely envision making up for KP's lack of foot speed on the defensive end. Everyone but KP will be switchable on defense, eventually, once they get coached up (except for KP, obvs, and I think Carlisle can scheme around that). 

This is the first Dallas roster (since Marion and Butler were here) that resembles in any way how the Carlisle teams were built in Indiana and Detroit. He is going to KNOW what to do with this plan. I have no doubt that he and Donnie are communicating effectively now, and I've had my doubts in the past. 

We're going to have to be patient - this isn't going to happen overnight, and there will be times this year when all three of those rookies either don't play or look TERRIBLE. But this was the Mavs taking 4 big steps in the right direction, imo.

EDIT: THEY HAVEN'T EVEN USED THE MLE YET
Like Reply
I haven't loved a draft like this since 2003 when they took Josh Howard and signed Marquis Daniels. Both players ended up being crucial in shaping the 2006 Finals team (along with Devin Harris from the 2004 Draft). 

We got 2 great athletes who can run the floor and defend. If Terry can score in the NBA then he could put this class over the top.
Like Reply
KL - basically, they parlayed a key bench guy and two draft picks into 1) a legit starter, which they needed, 2) two rookies who are each ready (in my aggressively-held opinion) to contribute 15-20 mpg from the bench, and 3) a solid defensive project. 

Once again, not thrilled that the project was the guy we picked at 18, but Richardson-Terry-Tiger is a frigging *great* haul, then throw in Green on top of that - I would actually feel better about our night if Terry and Green's draft positions were reversed, but oh well. And we still have trade potential, and the MLE. 

I would not at all be surprised if either Bogi or Gallo (or, treasure of treasures, Buddy Love) become Mavs on Friday. Any of those moves probably means no full MLE, but we should still be able to get a decent frontcourt guy with the partial MLE, and perhaps re-sign WCS with the one-year rights we do have on him.
Like Reply
No complaints. It’s kind of a cherry on top that if we are going to lose Seth, at least it’s a positive for both he and us.

— Back to the draft. And the trade.

I don’t really know as much about Richardson as I’d like to, but when Miami was a middling and developing squad, he was a stand out. He’d hit 3’s. He was physically imposing for a guard. I like that and that’s as much as I know about him. I can also predict he’ll be a better 3 point shooter next to Luka.

Green is what I expect from a Mav player. Seems like a good guy, seems smart, can shoot more than a little. I love that he comes from a rugby background. He looks physical. He WANTS to play defense according to his college coach. Not a home run by any means here, but if he’s a single or double at #18 that just adds to Luka over time.

Terry is interesting. Anyone who has potential to be an elite shooter without that being their only skill is someone I can get into. He has some playmaking ability and he broke the record on the nba IQ test. At #31 what’s not to like?

Bey looks rangy, like an elite athlete. I missed the highlights on him but I’ll gladly take Kammrath’s word on it. He fits EXACTLY what we were missing against the Clippers and Lakers. A big defender (SF-PF-C) that is physically imposing. At #36, nba draft history says you can get a player. Hopefully Mavs got one here. I’m excited!
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 12:41 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: KL - basically, they parlayed a key bench guy and two draft picks into 1) a legit starter, which they needed, 2) two rookies who are each ready (in my aggressively-held opinion) to contribute 15-20 mpg from the bench, and 3) a solid defensive project. 

Once again, not thrilled that the project was the guy we picked at 18, but Richardson-Terry-Tiger is a frigging *great* haul, then throw in Green on top of that - I would actually feel better about our night if Terry and Green's draft positions were reversed, but oh well. And we still have trade potential, and the MLE. 

I would not at all be surprised if either Bogi or Gallo (or, treasure of treasures, Buddy Love) become Mavs on Friday. Any of those moves probably means no full MLE, but we should still be able to get a decent frontcourt guy with the partial MLE, and perhaps re-sign WCS with the one-year rights we do have on him.

Totally agree, but that's the thing about Green. I would've hated the pick without the Richardson trade, but RICHARDSON is who Green is supposed to be. Knowing what they were GOING to do, they picked the project that they liked best, knowing HE WOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE A PROJECT. He wasn't going to last until 31. I don't know if he works out, but the way they did this, he'll have more than enough time to progress the right way.

(11-19-2020, 12:45 AM)LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT Wrote: Bey looks rangy, like an elite athlete. I missed the highlights on him but I’ll gladly take Kammrath’s word on it. He fits EXACTLY what we were missing against the Clippers and Lakers. A defender that is physically imposing. At #36, nba draft history says you can get a player. Hopefully Mavs got one here. I’m excited!

Yes, if you're a believer in Bey, you are totally counting on him to be the combination of size, strength and athletic ability you need to throw at LeBron, Kawhi, and even AD. Zion, even. He's got the physical tools to do that, if he can learn.
Like Reply
B+. A+ would have been finding a trade for that third star which could still happen later but I like the apparent emphasis on improving the defense which we badly need. There might be some growing pains doing this through the youth route though that may work better in the long run. I might need to be sold a bit on Richardson but hey I'll have a chance at that pretty soon because the season is just over a month away
Like Reply
Full disclaimer: I don't follow College Ball and didn't get into this year's draft, at all, so I've never even heard of any of these guys before.

Having said that, basically all draft analysts liked our picks, neutral fans are pretty positive, and you guys are downright ECSTATIC. Which says a lot.
So, naturally, I voted B... Big Grin
Like Reply
I lurked the last few days as a guest, but it sure has been a fun ride. Killer Left's long post on this thread made my night. When Halliburton fell all the way to 12 I was hoping we would trade up. But later, as I saw our plan unfold, I too was very, very happy. 

I read this morning that this is our third best trade following Luka, KP trades. Uh....don't forget our number one trade of all time. Dirk for Tractor Trailer. Luke or perhaps even KP might rival Dirk some day...but we will open that discussion only when any of our guys win another title.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply