Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: RoCo to POR | Ariza, #16, '21 1st to HOU
(11-17-2020, 09:14 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I see what they're doing and it does address a need but this won't put Portland over the top. For as much hype as Roco gets he wasn't able to fix the issues on Minnesota enough to get them into the playoffs or get Houston over the hump

He had the best on court and on/off numbers in Minnesota. Not really sure what else he could have done in Minnesota. Just not enough talent. RoCo was the 2nd best player on the team. That´s not enough for a playoff run. Different story when he is the 3rd or 4th best player.

Houston forced him to play full time center and he did a great job. Only one player in the entire league had similar stl+blk numbers (Anthony Davis). Again...not really sure what else he could have done.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 09:38 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 09:14 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I see what they're doing and it does address a need but this won't put Portland over the top. For as much hype as Roco gets he wasn't able to fix the issues on Minnesota enough to get them into the playoffs or get Houston over the hump
Over the top of what?

That was more on Towns and Wiggins, not RoCo. Why do you think Jimmy Butler forced his way out? Towns and Wiggs didn't want to consistently put in the work.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 10:18 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: That was more on Towns and Wiggins, not RoCo. Why do you think Jimmy Butler forced his way out? Towns and Wiggs didn't want to put in the work.

Plus, RoCo is a really good support player, the kind that makes a good team better, not the kind of player that fixes a bad team
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 09:07 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 09:00 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:52 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:42 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:33 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Not just fan mentality ... NBA General Manager  mentality (at least the smart ones).     No one was forcing Sam Presti to sell off Chris Paul.   OKC went to the playoffs last year.

That is bad example IMO

-OKC could have just rebuilt in 2016, but they kept being competitive for 4 more years.

- CP3 is 35, and wanted out. He has been with that team for only a year and they don't have a fan "bond" with him. With Gallinari out, Schroeder expiring and their coach declining to renew, what options did they have? 
OTOH, You don't see team like Portland blowing it up, you see teams like Orlando wanting to be in playoffs etc

If you plan to make the playoffs, you don't trade the leagues premium roleplayer for some middling draft picks. There is no way back. 

Westbrook & Harden doesn't hold annother year and they couldn't find a taker for Westbrook.

In a not to far future the Houston Circus will proudly present "Brodie and the misfits".

Roco was a move that was supposed to take them over the top, it didn't work and the coach that wanted him is out. If you "just" want to make the playoff, he isn't a necessary 

Trying to rebuild in their situation is a disaster waiting to happen.  I doubt it is the intention and they will resist trading Harden unless they get Simmons, or he decides to throw them under the bus. I doubt either will happen

So you are telling me they trade RoCo, hire a Rookie-coach and intent to get better? 

OK their FO is rookie too, but this won't please Harden at all. He will go to strike, if they try to keep him.

I didn't say get better.
They are giving up hope in being contender, not in being playiff team
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 10:25 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 09:07 AM)Mapka Wrote: So you are telling me they trade RoCo, hire a Rookie-coach and intent to get better? 

OK their FO is rookie too, but this won't please Harden at all. He will go to strike, if they try to keep him.

I didn't say get better.
They are giving up hope in being contender, not in being playoff team.

I see you.

But OKC told CP3:
Please hold on this year. You know you are a All-NBA and we know it. We have to show it, to find the right trade and keep your money.
We keep our winning coach and play winning basketball and then we will trade you next year.

This won´t do it for Harden. But they can fight for the playoffs with Westbrook-Dinwiddie-LeVert-Anyone-Allen.
Like Reply
Sooo, the Rockets are blowing it up? That escalated quickly, as in warp speed quickness...

Covington was great for them, arguably their second or third most imprtant guy. You don't trade someone like this for a mid-first rounder, if you think your championship window is still open.

Maybe PJ Tucker is available, too? He'd be a perfect fit on the Mavs, or anywhere else, basically.
Like Reply
This was a great trade for Portland. I wish the Mavs could have gotten RoCo for Wright and 18 but Portland had a better offer even if the Mavs did do that.

Houston blowing it up seems overly hasty. This truly is a players league when guys who are under contract for multiple years can call the shots. Harden can seriously negotiate himself out of town?

I do like Tucker if he is available. I'd rather have him for 31 than Green especially if you can send Wright in the deal.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 12:10 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Houston blowing it up seems overly hasty. 

Inexperienced owner, GM and head coach, all flinching simultaneously during a high-stakes game of chicken. This is absolutely insane, and I can't believe it's really happening.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 12:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Inexperienced owner, GM and head coach, all flinching simultaneously during a high-stakes game of chicken. This is absolutely insane, and I can't believe it's really happening.

Me neither, and I'm loving every second of that dumpster fire! Cool

I'm really happy for their annoying fan base, Schadenfreude at it's best...
Like Reply
Hey I’ll take Tucker. Yes he’s older and not on the right timeline. But he’s make them better now. Is physical and good on defense. And is lethal on that open corner 3.

Probably doesn’t win them a title because hes got 2 years or so left...but makes them more I enticing.
Like Reply
To me it's like Ainge trading Pierce and KG to the Nets to start the rebuild. You know the window of winning a Championship with this roster has closed. You know you're just facing a steady decline from here on out for the next few years. If you're the Wolves, Suns or Hornets and havent been to the playoffs in a decade maybe eeking out an 7 seed and a 1st round bounce is maybe exciting, but when you've seen the mountaintop it's just a bummer. The Mavs getting bounced in the 1st round in 2013 or 2014 didn't feel particularly amazing or uplifting to me. If the goal is to contend for rings, what are you waiting on?
Like Reply

Most overrated player in the league. Thank goodness he's on POR now, hopefully that ends the LoCo for RoCo trade proposals around here. Like I said back in Feb, give me DFS over him.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:09 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:

Most overrated player in the league. Thank goodness he's on POR now, hopefully that ends the LoCo for RoCo trade proposals around here. Like I said back in Feb, give me DFS over him.

And just like in february you cannot make any stat or tape based argument to support your case.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:09 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:

RoCo overrated?  I don't think so. While DFS has improved his shot, RoCo is still the better defender and 3pt shooter.
Like Reply
DFS shot way better than RoCo last year. RoCo is a superior defender. I think DFS is a plus defender but is extremely overrated and inconsistent. On occasion he will lock somebody down and make you really get out of your chair. Most nights though he is not super noticeable on the defensive end. And I am a DFS fan, I just wish he was a better defender.
Like Reply