Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: RoCo to POR | Ariza, #16, '21 1st to HOU
(11-17-2020, 05:08 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 05:05 AM)Mapka Wrote: Yeah a first (and a second) for taking a player who is average, overpaid, and attainable for the MLE or less into capspace.

Then we have to agree to disagree. I don't think those are adverbs to describe Capella.

Maybe it was just bad timing but I never saw a game, where he looked like something special.
What should I be looking for?
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:05 AM)Mapka Wrote: They could have taken RoCo...
They for sure missed the mark on the best player in that trade.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:15 AM)Mapka Wrote: What should I be looking for?

Capella is 26, locked on (what I think is team friendly deal), plays defense and is an excellent PnR partner. Basically much better version of Powell. Perfect partner for Trae and Atlanta, which had zero rim protection before trading for him.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:15 AM)Mapka Wrote: Maybe it was just bad timing but I never saw a game, where he looked like something special.
What should I be looking for?
He's not paid to be something special. He's paid to be a defensive anchor and rebounder. What he contributes to offense is a bonus (which is 14 ppg...2 ppg under what THJ contributed to our team last year). A 14 and 14 double double defensive anchor.
Like Reply
Which picks Portland paid in the end? Because The Athletic seem to only have #16 going to Houston. If that is true, I might be pissed off at Mavs, as #18 and #31 would be competitive at least. We could do Lee SnT, since Houston obviously doesn't care about incoming player, as long as he is expiring.

Edit: seems The Athletic got it wrong
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:39 AM)omahen Wrote: Which picks Portland paid in the end? Because The Athletic seem to only have #16 going to Houston. If that is true, I might be pissed off at Mavs, as #18 and #31 would be competitive at least. We could do Lee SnT, since Houston obviously doesn't care about incoming player, as long as he is expiring.

And Houston would still prefer to trade him to Portland rather than a Texas rival.
PS: I hate that they will pick ahead of us
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:39 AM)omahen Wrote: Which picks Portland paid in the end? Because The Athletic seem to only have #16 going to Houston. If that is true, I might be pissed off at Mavs, as #18 and #31 would be competitive at least. We could do Lee SnT, since Houston obviously doesn't care about incoming player, as long as he is expiring.

Edit: seems The Athletic got it wrong
Could’ve also done it on draft night with Boban and JJ.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:42 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:

And Houston would still prefer to trade him to Portland rather than a Texas rival.
PS: I hate that they will pick ahead of us

A lot better than Portland looking for the same player as us.

(11-17-2020, 05:18 AM)omahen Wrote: Capella is 26, locked on (what I think is team friendly deal), plays defense and is an excellent PnR partner. Basically much better version of Powell. Perfect partner for Trae and Atlanta, which had zero rim protection before trading for him.

(11-17-2020, 05:22 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He's not paid to be something special. He's paid to be a defensive anchor and rebounder. What he contributes to offense is a bonus (which is 14 ppg...2 ppg under what THJ contributed to our team last year). A 14 and 14 double double defensive anchor.

I can see the rimprotection. (hard not to)
But otherwise I see (slightly better?) Noel highlight defense without the hotdog. Didn´t find the communication I wanna see if I hear defensive anchor.

He seems to thrive in chaos though.

Still seems not worth that to me.
Like Reply
It would be cool with me if some Eastern Conference teams (besides the Bucks) started to attempt to make their teams better.

To me the Rockets have to be either all in on making another run with their nucleus or they have to be all in on blowing it up and starting the rebuild. Trading Covington (for not a great haul) shows what that decision is, imho. Wish we could get in on Tucker.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 08:10 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: To me the Rockets have to be either all in on making another run with their nucleus or they have to be all in on blowing it up and starting the rebuild.  Trading Covington (for not a great haul) shows what that decision is, imho.    Wish we could get in on Tucker.

This is the typical fans mentality,  contenders or bust.

But reality is different,  teams are ok for just being playoff team. 

Rockets doesn't have draft capital to rebuild, their worst contract is untradable.

I doubt they  will trade Harden, they will just enjoy another couple of playoff appearances with him, pay some of their draft debt and then move on.

If Sixers offer Simmons they might consider it, since it keeps them competitive
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 08:23 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:10 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: To me the Rockets have to be either all in on making another run with their nucleus or they have to be all in on blowing it up and starting the rebuild.  Trading Covington (for not a great haul) shows what that decision is, imho.    Wish we could get in on Tucker.

Rockets doesn't have draft capital to rebuild, their worst contract is untradable.

I doubt they  will trade Harden, they will just enjoy another couple of playoff appearances with him, pay some of their draft debt and then move on.

Not just fan mentality ... NBA General Manager  mentality (at least the smart ones).     No one was forcing Sam Presti to sell off Chris Paul.   OKC went to the playoffs last year.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 08:33 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:

Not just fan mentality ... NBA General Manager  mentality (at least the smart ones).     No one was forcing Sam Presti to sell off Chris Paul.   OKC went to the playoffs last year.

That is bad example IMO

-OKC could have just rebuilt in 2016, but they kept being competitive for 4 more years.

- CP3 is 35, and wanted out. He has been with that team for only a year and they don't have a fan "bond" with him. With Gallinari out, Schroeder expiring and their coach declining to renew, what options did they have? 
OTOH, You don't see team like Portland blowing it up, you see teams like Orlando wanting to be in playoffs etc
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 08:42 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:

That is bad example IMO

-OKC could have just rebuilt in 2016, but they kept being competitive for 4 more years.

- CP3 is 35, and wanted out. He has been with that team for only a year and they don't have a fan "bond" with him. With Gallinari out, Schroeder expiring and their coach declining to renew, what options did they have? 
OTOH, You don't see team like Portland blowing it up, you see teams like Orlando wanting to be in playoffs etc

If you plan to make the playoffs, you don't trade the leagues premium roleplayer for some middling draft picks. There is no way back. 

Westbrook & Harden doesn't hold annother year and they couldn't find a taker for Westbrook.

In a not to far future the Houston Circus will proudly present "Brodie and the misfits".
Like Reply
Harden wants out, only has 2 years left of team control, just turned down a record breaking extension. He is also on the wrong side of 30. It's also obvious he doesn't want to play with Westbrook. Also PJ Tucker is livid about his contract situation. Also, their fans know what the ceiliing of this team is, and coasting to a 7th seed and 1st round exit excites no one into buying season tickets. This isn't like the Kings, Suns or Wolves fanbases who are desperate for a playoff appearance. So I find the idea that they're just going to live unhappily ever after for the next two years and half empty stadiums to shoot for an 8 seed to be far fetched, when they can speed the timeline on an inevitable rebuild up by a couple of years. The way forward for the Rockets is to draft another star player, and the sooner they blow up the team for draft picks the sooner they can start taking swings. They've already started the process.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 08:52 AM)Mapka Wrote:

That is bad example IMO

If you plan to make the playoffs, you don't trade the leagues premium roleplayer for some middling draft picks. There is no way back. 

Westbrook & Harden doesn't hold annother year and they couldn't find a taker for Westbrook.

In a not to far future the Houston Circus will proudly present "Brodie and the misfits".

Roco was a move that was supposed to take them over the top, it didn't work and the coach that wanted him is out. If you "just" want to make the playoff, he isn't a necessary 

Trying to rebuild in their situation is a disaster waiting to happen.  I doubt it is the intention and they will resist trading Harden unless they get Simmons, or he decides to throw them under the bus. I doubt either will happen
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 09:00 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:23 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: This is the typical fans mentality,  contenders or bust.

That is bad example IMO

Roco was a move that was supposed to take them over the top, it didn't work and the coach that wanted him is out. If you "just" want to make the playoff, he isn't a necessary 

Trying to rebuild in their situation is a disaster waiting to happen.  I doubt it is the intention and they will resist trading Harden unless they get Simmons, or he decides to throw them under the bus. I doubt either will happen

So you are telling me they trade RoCo, hire a Rookie-coach and intent to get better? 

OK their FO is rookie too, but this won't please Harden at all. He will go to strike, if they try to keep him.
Like Reply
I see what they're doing and it does address a need but this won't put Portland over the top. For as much hype as Roco gets he wasn't able to fix the issues on Minnesota enough to get them into the playoffs or get Houston over the hump
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 09:07 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 09:00 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:33 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Not just fan mentality ... NBA General Manager  mentality (at least the smart ones).     No one was forcing Sam Presti to sell off Chris Paul.   OKC went to the playoffs last year.

That is bad example IMO

So you are telling me they trade RoCo, hire a Rookie-coach and intent to get better? 

OK their FO is rookie too, but this won't please Harden at all. He will go to strike, if they try to keep him.
Also ... Dinwiddie, Jaret Allen, LeVert, some future first and some picks swaps isn't bad for a 31 year old who will leave in 2 years. All 3 players can be swapped individually for more picks. This new FO is going to want to start the process of build their own roster, and their owner doesn't want to just coast on Morey's fumes for 2 years. Especially if Harden is threatening holdouts and the lockerroom is a nightmare.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 09:14 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I see what they're doing and it does address a need but this won't put Portland over the top. For as much hype as Roco gets he wasn't able to fix the issues on Minnesota enough to get them into the playoffs or get Houston over the hump

At least it improves their chances for some lucky punching. 

RoCo is a roleplayer. That's supporting cast for the hero. If they just do their job nobody will complain but without the hero doing his it won't change anything.

MIN needed Butler just to get into the playoffs and he had to do it nearly by himself.

Houston sabotaged themselves by playing with Westbrook as a Center....
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 09:14 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I see what they're doing and it does address a need but this won't put Portland over the top. For as much hype as Roco gets he wasn't able to fix the issues on Minnesota enough to get them into the playoffs or get Houston over the hump
Over the top of what?
Like Reply