Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DAL COACHES: Mosley to Lead Asst | Weinar to O Coord | Guthrie hired as D Coord
(11-19-2020, 07:40 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: That is a one young bench.
Who knows,  maybe one of those will be our future coach

(11-19-2020, 07:34 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Is Mosley any good?  I mean he was coach of the defense last year right?

You never know
But he is highly regarded in the league,  also it seems he is very close to the players and is also a development coach who played important role with Luka
He is definitely highly regarded, he was a part of those successful Nuggets teams w/ Melo, and even got a HC interview with some team this year. I don't think the defense was his fault last season; the personnel was trash. We basically had KP and DFS as our only consistent plus defenders. And don't forget Carlisle loves his super duper teeny tiny small ball that handicaps the team.

For those who were thrilled with the Tyler Bey acquisition, that has Mosley written all over it considering Colorado was his college team.
Like Reply
Yeah this hire has been huge.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 11:16 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: I thought Guthrie was an offensive coach, but looking at the fundamentals video, his got good teachings on defense. 

At first after reading the positions of the coaches, that it was just in name, but Mosley knows the players well enough to be lead assistant.

Weinar has been with us since the 2011 Championship run. His been behind the scenes but the guy knows his stuff. (I wonder if he was the one that call the brilliant Maxi Kleber screen for Luka on the game winning 3 point).

We all been needing a fresh air in defensive coaching and I believe Guthrie in defense is the right call. Especially if you consider the players he coach at Utah (Rudy Gobert DPOY and hustle player Joe Ingles).

Nailed it...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 08:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah this hire has been huge.

Best coaching hire in awhile IMO...

Mosley should never coach defense here again...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 08:42 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Best coaching hire in awhile IMO...

Mosley should never coach defense here again...

To be fair, we have much better players on defense now
Like Reply
If the reason we improved on defense is new assistant coach, does this mean the reason we regressed offensively is losing Silas? 

I think Guthrie is good hire, but I don't think it is as simple as that.
Mavs are young team, and last year was practically their first ss competitive group. Defense and closing games are two things that needs time to improve. 

I have been saying for sometime,  organic improvement through experience and normal growth would alone make difference. 
Adding sone pieces,  including defensive assistants,  also helps.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 11:07 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: If the reason we improved on defense is new assistant coach, does this mean the reason we regressed offensively is losing Silas? 

I think Guthrie is good hire, but I don't think it is as simple as that.
Mavs are young team, and last year was practically their first ss competitive group. Defense and closing games are two things that needs time to improve. 

I have been saying for sometime,  organic improvement through experience and normal growth would alone make difference. 
Adding sone pieces,  including defensive assistants,  also helps.
Maybe it actually is, but it serves a greater good. Mosley was also interviewed by the Bulls and one other team I think about their head coaching vacancy. Being a Carlisle assistant is seen as a great stepping stone to a head coaching gig, so we have a fantastic advantage in that area. We can pick and choose between the best and most ambitious young assistant coaches.
Like Reply
Do we hold him accountable now that our defense is sucking again? Our PnR defense is so trash. We switch everytime and get scored on. Either it's their guard on our bigs or their bigs on our guards.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 08:03 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Do we hold him accountable now that our defense is sucking again? Our PnR defense is so trash. We switch everytime and get scored on. Either it's their guard on our bigs or their bigs on our guards.

I think it was a lot better against the Suns. Difficult to prevent CP3s midrange pull up game but compared to the KP drop defense disaster of the last few games it was a big improvement. First game during the recent losing streak with less than 50% OpFG and less than 10 off rebounds for the opponent. Also only 10 made 3s for the Suns.
Like Reply
Something interesting...
The Mavs only have four assistant coaches. Only team with less are the Pacers (3). Most contenders have a bigger staff and at least one more guy with head coaching experience.

Nets - D´Anthony
Clippers - Atkinson
Warriors - Brown
Lakers - Hollins, Kidd
Knicks - Woodson
76ers - Joerger

Would love to see something similar in Dallas. Or something more creative. A young college coach with innovative ideas or someone from europe.
Like Reply
What I find interesting is that we were told Guthrie was supposed to coordinate the defense, and in fact this thread title still reflects that, yet on at least three recent occasions, Carlisle has said some version of “Mosley runs our defense.”

Was some sort of change made during the season, or was the initial reporting of all of that incorrect?
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 11:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What I find interesting is that we were told Guthrie was supposed to coordinate the defense, and in fact this thread title still reflects that, yet on at least three recent occasions, Carlisle has said some version of “Mosley runs our defense.”

Was some sort of change made during the season, or was the initial reporting of all of that incorrect?

Good question. Guthrie wasn´t the defensive coordinator in Utah but the Mavs presented him as the new defense guy and promoted Mosley.
Like Reply
I believe on the totem pole it is

1. RC
2. Mosley (DC)
3. Weinar (OC)
4. Guthrie 

Weinar is essentially replacing Silas' spot as the offensive coordinator while Mosley still runs the defense with input from Guthrie. Guthrie filled Weinar's old spot since Weinar was promoted.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 11:22 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I believe on the totem pole it is

1. RC
2. Mosley (DC)
3. Weinar (OC)
4. Guthrie 

Weinar is essentially replacing Silas' spot as the offensive coordinator while Mosley still runs the defense with input from Guthrie. Guthrie filled Weinar's old spot since Weinar was promoted.

Via Mavs.com it's 

RC
Mosley 
Armstrong
Weinar
Boucek

Then Shamgod and someone called Peter Patton for shooting.

Can't find anything about Guthrie other than he was hired in November.
He seems to boycott social media on personal level.
Like Reply
(03-05-2021, 10:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Something interesting...
The Mavs only have four assistant coaches. Only team with less are the Pacers (3). Most contenders have a bigger staff and at least one more guy with head coaching experience.

Nets - D´Anthony
Clippers - Atkinson
Warriors - Brown
Lakers - Hollins, Kidd
Knicks - Woodson
76ers - Joerger

Would love to see something similar in Dallas. Or something more creative. A young college coach with innovative ideas or someone from europe.

I wanted former coach too as assistant,  but I think RC has reached a sort if Pop territory,  he is the guy who produce future coaches rather than hure former ones.

That said, having Stotrs & Casey as assistants was amazing,  and I miss it
Like Reply