Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DAL COACHES: Mosley to Lead Asst | Weinar to O Coord | Guthrie hired as D Coord
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1328033848182116357
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
What do we know about this guy?
Like Reply
(11-15-2020, 01:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What do we know about this guy?
I just realized he existed... Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5zEAEpJRE

"Zach Guthrie has been elevated to assistant coach/basketball strategy after joining the staff as manager of basketball strategy/technology prior to the 2015-16 season. Guthrie arrived to Utah after spending three years with the Orlando Magic as their manager of advanced scouting. Prior to that, he spent two seasons with the San Antonio Spurs, ascending to the role of assistant video coordinator.

Guthrie got his start as a basketball operations intern with the (then) Austin Toros of the NBA Development League in 2007, where he worked closely under Coach Snyder, then the Toros’ head coach. The San Antonio native graduated from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas with a bachelor’s degree in business. "
Like Reply
Dat nose tho.
Like Reply
Welcome coach.
Like Reply
(11-15-2020, 01:14 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5zEAEpJRE

This guy is a great teacher. I like him already.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/13...8798453762
Like Reply
Meanwhile the DEFENSE.....

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I actually got a lot out of the "pick and roll defense" portion of his clinic that Clutch posted. Point being, I think they all coach everything in the NBA. This guy could be the defensive assistant, or maybe Mosely moves over.

EDIT: Wait, I got confused. Mosely coached the defense last year, right?
Like Reply
This hiring was important, a little late, but right before tomorrow's fiasco. 

If Mosley is here another season, I'm having higher expectations on him to bring the Team D.

Mavs better have top 10 defense, otherwise I dont see use getting out of 1st round playoffs.
Like Reply
(11-15-2020, 02:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Meanwhile the DEFENSE.....

"Half the defense...double the offense"
Like Reply
32, he is younger than Barea
Like Reply
Interesting background...I don't think he played college basketball. He went to Texas but I don't recall him being a part of any of those teams. Maybe he will be more innovative on offense instead of all the ISO ball we've had
Like Reply
Low key a great hire, perhaps he's the one to usurp Carlisle when he finally retires (aka fired behind the scenes). 

If I'm not mistaken, Jazz had the best 5-man lineup in the league last season or two. I've watched a lot of Jazz games the past few years and their half court sets always stand out to me; I think they had the best half court offense last season.

How much Guthrie had to do with it? Who knows but he's been involved and hopefully some concepts can carry over to the Mavs to alleviate their groundbreaking "Pass It To Luka and Everybody Stand Around" clutch offense Carlisle has created.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 01:37 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Low key a great hire, perhaps he's the one to usurp Carlisle when he finally retires (aka fired behind the scenes). 

If I'm not mistaken, Jazz had the best 5-man lineup in the league last season or two. I've watched a lot of Jazz games the past few years and their half court sets always stand out to me; I think they had the best half court offense last season.

How much Guthrie had to do with it? Who knows but he's been involved and hopefully some concepts can carry over to the Mavs to alleviate their groundbreaking "Pass It To Luka and Everybody Stand Around" clutch offense Carlisle has created.

Maybe Guthrie is the guy that talks the MBT into trading for Gobert?  Or, maybe Gobert was already the target and they are bringing in the coach to make it all work?
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 03:06 PM)chaparral Wrote: Maybe Guthrie is the guy that talks the MBT into trading for Gobert?  Or, maybe Gobert was already the target and they are bringing in the coach to make it all work?

Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1329546176207724547
Like Reply
Is Mosley any good? I mean he was coach of the defense last year right?
Like Reply
That is a one young bench.
Who knows,  maybe one of those will be our future coach

(11-19-2020, 07:34 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Is Mosley any good?  I mean he was coach of the defense last year right?

You never know
But he is highly regarded in the league,  also it seems he is very close to the players and is also a development coach who played important role with Luka
Like Reply
I thought Guthrie was an offensive coach, but looking at the fundamentals video, his got good teachings on defense. 

At first after reading the positions of the coaches, that it was just in name, but Mosley knows the players well enough to be lead assistant.

Weinar has been with us since the 2011 Championship run. His been behind the scenes but the guy knows his stuff. (I wonder if he was the one that call the brilliant Maxi Kleber screen for Luka on the game winning 3 point).

We all been needing a fresh air in defensive coaching and I believe Guthrie in defense is the right call. Especially if you consider the players he coach at Utah (Rudy Gobert DPOY and hustle player Joe Ingles).
Like Reply