Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
(08-20-2020, 05:59 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Totally serious, not a fluke.  

Unless you consider Burke a fluke.  I don't anymore, at least not in the bubble.
Agree...role players stepped up in the 2nd half while Luka sat on the bench in foul trouble...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

Unless you consider Burke a fluke.  I don't anymore, at least not in the bubble.

I think “streaky” or “inconsistent”.  He can shoot you into a game (8 of 10 from 3 first game in the bubble) and out of a game (0-7 a few games later).  His averages the last few years have been that of an average player.  But his inconsistency is what had him on the street and available.

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup.  You can see how much more dynamic the team could be.  I think Brunson is the Trent Dilfer of Super Bowl QB’s.  He’s a game manager.  Burke is more dynamic.  Last night was like watching two different teams.  The bench moves the ball.  Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me).  To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night.  That would overwhelm teams.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 06:53 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Unless you consider Burke a fluke. I don't anymore, at least not in the bubble.

I think “streaky” or “inconsistent”. He can shoot you into a game (8 of 10 from 3 first game in the bubble) and out of a game (0-7 a few games later). His averages the last few years have been that of an average player. But his inconsistency is what had him on the street and available.

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup. You can see how much more dynamic the team could be. I think Brunson is the Trent Dilfer of Super Bowl QB’s. He’s a game manager. Burke is more dynamic. Last night was like watching two different teams. The bench moves the ball. Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me). To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night. That would overwhelm teams.

You're essentially talking about taking the ball out of Luka's hands, which would be the most cataclysmically disastrous decision the Mavs could conceivably make right now (short of trading Luka for a beer, of course).
Like Reply

I think “streaky” or “inconsistent”.  He can shoot you into a game (8 of 10 from 3 first game in the bubble) and out of a game (0-7 a few games later).  His averages the last few years have been that of an average player.  But his inconsistency is what had him on the street and available.

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup.  You can see how much more dynamic the team could be.  I think Brunson is the Trent Dilfer of Super Bowl QB’s.  He’s a game manager.  Burke is more dynamic.  Last night was like watching two different teams.  The bench moves the ball.  Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me).  To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night.  That would overwhelm teams.
I think that was Kemba. Hate to pick that scab.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...9828582401
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

Ya'll are severely underrating Brunson. There is a reason Burke has bounced around. He can score but that's pretty much all he does and he's inconsistent. Brunson can score very efficiently and also run an offense. I love his game, even his defense has gotten better. I think when a guy has been injured and not playing people might forget how good he is. I think Brunson is a core piece and a gamer. I like Burke too. I think having a guy like that who can be your third option at PG you are in good shape.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 08:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

Ya'll are severely underrating Brunson. There is a reason Burke has bounced around. He can score but that's pretty much all he does and he's inconsistent. Brunson can score very efficiently and also run an offense. I love his game, even his defense has gotten better. I think when a guy has been injured and not playing people might forget how good he is. I think Brunson is a core piece and a gamer. I like Burke too. I think having a guy like that who can be your third option at PG you are in good shape.
Huh? Who is this Ya'll.
Like Reply
Quote:Boban (10 min) — My man Boban was a joy to watch. With 13 points and 9 boards, he became the first player in NBA history to score at least 10 points and grab at least 7 rebounds in a playoff game in 10 or fewer minutes.  

Big Grin  Think about that never happening in the entire playoff history of the league!   Its because any time a player can be that productive on the floor, he would never normally get that few minutes.  That type of impact is STAR impact on the floor. 

Shaq said on the post game Inside The NBA show that he thought Boban was really the 3rd potential Maverick star after Luka and KP.   

Great game Mavs!
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 07:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I think “streaky” or “inconsistent”.  He can shoot you into a game (8 of 10 from 3 first game in the bubble) and out of a game (0-7 a few games later).  His averages the last few years have been that of an average player.  But his inconsistency is what had him on the street and available.

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup.  You can see how much more dynamic the team could be.  I think Brunson is the Trent Dilfer of Super Bowl QB’s.  He’s a game manager.  Burke is more dynamic.  Last night was like watching two different teams.  The bench moves the ball.  Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me).  To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night.  That would overwhelm teams.

You're essentially talking about taking the ball out of Luka's hands, which would be the most cataclysmically disastrous decision the Mavs could conceivably make right now (short of trading Luka for a beer, of course).

Agreed.  That was a surprisingly bad take.  The team has no need to invest significant resources in offensive minded point guards. It needs guys with length who can defend and shoot. The offense goes through Luka. Every decision the Mavs make needs to build on that simple idea.

That said, I like Burke as a just out of the rotation player who can give really good minutes from time to time or step into the backup pg role.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 12:04 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote:

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup.  You can see how much more dynamic the team could be.  Last night was like watching two different teams.  The bench moves the ball.  Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me).  To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night.  That would overwhelm teams.

Agreed.  That was a surprisingly bad take.  The team has no need to invest significant resources in offensive minded point guards. It needs guys with length who can defend and shoot. The offense goes through Luka. Every decision the Mavs make needs to build on that simple idea.

1. So, you guys either don't want Bradley Beal or Jrue Holiday or Oladipo, or you've never watched them play.  Wade took the ball out of Lebron's hands.  How did that work out.  Same with Irving.

2. A better version of Burke starting makes the attack more dynamic when both are on the court. It is hard to cover this team now.  Imagine how hard it would be if the offense could be initiated occasionally by a second player and Luka could be moved around.

3. A better version of Burke starting helps the team win the non-Luka minutes.

4. A better version of Burke starting helps in crunch time.  We need someone else who can create their own shot.  Without it, the offense is too predictable.  Force the ball out of Luka's hands and what do you have?

5. The current way this team does things will run Luka into the ground.  He needs some plays off the ball to keep him fresh for the end of games, the end of seasons and a longer career.  

The team already signaled they believe this to be a need.  Otherwise they wouldn't have pursued Walker like they did.  What are we expecting when we pine for a "third star".  Another big?  Is a Robert Covington type a "third star".  No, a shot creator who doesn't have to be the focal point of the offense and who can guard opposing PG's is what we need.  VanVleet would be fantastic here.  He's a playmaker and plays excellent perimeter D.  But, he also hits from outside and is excellent at off-ball movement.  That is what is meant by a better version of Burke.  And, we already know what it looks like for him to share the ball with another ball dominant guard.
Like Reply
Completely agree with Dan. To add - Luka won Euroleague, spanish league and Eurochampionship playing next to another point guard. Llull in Real and Dragic in the national team.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 05:07 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 12:04 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote:

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup.  You can see how much more dynamic the team could be.  Last night was like watching two different teams.  The bench moves the ball.  Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me).  To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night.  That would overwhelm teams.

1. So, you guys either don't want Bradley Beal or Jrue Holiday or Oladipo, or you've never watched them play.  Wade took the ball out of Lebron's hands.  How did that work out.  Same with Irving.

2. A better version of Burke starting makes the attack more dynamic when both are on the court. It is hard to cover this team now.  Imagine how hard it would be if the offense could be initiated occasionally by a second player and Luka could be moved around.

3. A better version of Burke starting helps the team win the non-Luka minutes.

4. A better version of Burke starting helps in crunch time.  We need someone else who can create their own shot.  Without it, the offense is too predictable.  Force the ball out of Luka's hands and what do you have?

5. The current way this team does things will run Luka into the ground.  He needs some plays off the ball to keep him fresh for the end of games, the end of seasons and a longer career.  

The team already signaled they believe this to be a need.  Otherwise they wouldn't have pursued Walker like they did.  What are we expecting when we pine for a "third star".  Another big?  Is a Robert Covington type a "third star".  No, a shot creator who doesn't have to be the focal point of the offense and who can guard opposing PG's is what we need.  VanVleet would be fantastic here.  He's a playmaker and plays excellent perimeter D.  But, he also hits from outside and is excellent at off-ball movement.  That is what is meant by a better version of Burke.  And, we already know what it looks like for him to share the ball with another ball dominant guard.

Great post, Dan! I agree with all of it! I think the fact that we'd benefit from some wing upgrades blinds folks to the fact that their are other needs (I still want a big wing that can shoot). Folks can disagree on which upgrade is most important, but I think I've been convinced by Dan, (huh, just remembered that I was convinced of this before free agency last year too), that diversifying our end game strategy, reducing Luka's work load a bit and making our offense close to unstoppable with a Beal/Better than Burke beside Luka is priority one.
Like Reply
^
As I've said, Marcus Smart is the prototype of what we're looking for. Get someone in that mold (having him would be amazing) and 2 upgraded wings (big and mid-sized wings) who can defend multiple positions and shoot open 3's and we're winning championships!
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 05:02 AM)omahen Wrote: - I am not sure why RC singled Wright that way. To me, it didn't look like he played well. Offensively he was mostly bad with three turnovers, stupid three pointer and aimless dribling followed by a pass to guarded teammate with a couple of seconds left. Defensively I also didn't notice anything game changing. Did I miss something? Was the speach to boost Wright confidence (we really need him playing well)? Or was it a sales pitch? Smile 
I was surprised at that, too. In addition to the errors you mention, he actually did also have some very good moments. It seemed to me that Rick was trying to encourage the good stuff and give his confidence a lift. But the sales pitch is an intriguing alternative view, lol.
Like Reply
Luka - Ball handler/Scorer
THJ - Shooter
DFS - 3D
Maxi - D & Rebound
KP - Scorer & Rebound

You only got 1 player in that line up that moves the ball. I guess thats why Rick wanted Seth in the lineup beggining of the season because he can dribble, pass and shoot incredibly. Despite his lack of play making, THJ shined in 3 pt conversion (plus being healthy), taking Seths spot. You don't really need another point guard if the other four positions are making there shots. If THJ had handles, we probably wouldn't have this conversation. 

Just need another ball handler/scorer period. 

Don't matter if its a 1 or a 4, if they can dribble around traffic, distribute for others and create a play, get him next to Luka.
Like Reply
I think overall we were the much better team even though at some points, one swing here or there could have made it a close game again. But that's just how basketball works sometimes. And even the argument that PG13 will not perfomr this poorley anymore: Luke won't just play 9 minutes in a half again. Hopefully he has learned from this stupid foul an Harrell. Otherwise he just keeps getting what he wants offensively, against a supposedly great perimeter defense in Kawhi and George. I think it tells you a lot if Luka is miles away the best player on the court in only 3 quarters of game-action when two-time-finals MVP Kawhi is on the court and playing brilliantly. Just wow.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 12:47 PM)meistermatze Wrote: I think overall we were the much better team even though at some points, one swing here or there could have made it a close game again. But that's just how basketball works sometimes. And even the argument that PG13 will not perfomr this poorley anymore: Luke won't just play 9 minutes in a half again. Hopefully he has learned from this stupid foul an Harrell. Otherwise he just keeps getting what he wants offensively, against a supposedly great perimeter defense in Kawhi and George. I think it tells you a lot if Luka is miles away the best player on the court in only 3 quarters of game-action when two-time-finals MVP Kawhi is on the court and playing brilliantly. Just wow.
Hey, meister, I saw your post that you are coming back. Great news! We look forward to hearing your thoughts again!
Like Reply
Thanks mavsluvr, really appreciate your words. Really glad that you are still around, still providing your excellent recaps and overall content.
Like Reply
To Dan and the others who agree with him - I'm sorry, I simply beg to differ. Did you see how furious Luka was at the end of Game 1 when Curry and THJ shot us out of the game by not having the ball go through him? When you have one of the ten best creators in game, who is likely to be top five within a year or two, then yes, you do want to have other stars around him, yes, you need another ballhandler/facilitator (preferably more than one!) to spell him when he sits and to take a bit of the pressure off him - and, reluctantly yes, perhaps even diversify the offense a bit - when he's on the court. But no, absolutely not, you do not get a guy who is going to actively demand the ball away from him, no matter how big a name the guy has, and no, that player does not facilitate for more than 25% of the time shared with Luka. To do otherwise is 1) to grossly waste Luka, and 2) very likely to piss him off royally and inspire him to seek greener pastures. And don't @ me with Llull and Dragic. Luka was a less mature player then.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 05:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: That +/- thing is getting weird. Seth +30 in his 26 minutes seems really odd. Bobi +12 in 10 too, although he’s Bobi, so odd is what we're accustomed to. But MKG -15 in just 5 minutes? How does that even happen? And Jamychal Green -21 in 13? These are crazy numbers! What’s going on?

It´s like a chess match between the head coaches and so far RC is winning.
When MKG is on the floor Doc can play Zubac or Harrell  without getting punished on defense. They just stay in the paint and dare him to shoot.
RC himself can react and do the same. Clippers have a non shooter on the floor. Boban gets minutes and dominates Harrell in the paint.
Doc adjusts again and goes with a smaller lineup. Green plays PF/C and spaces the floor. Mavs can match with KP and Maxi and space the floor as well.
They have the advantage again because the Clippers cannot defend the rim against a 5-out lineup. Meanwhile the Mavs still have KP protecting the rim.
Sounds like the Clippers just don't match up well against the Mavs. Tough draw for them. 

LOL, love it.
Like Reply