Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
Mavs Shear Clippers, Even Series at 1-1
Bench steps up with Luka in foul trouble. 

Your Dallas Mavericks put a rip-roaring, wire-to-wire, old-fashioned butt kicking on the Los Angeles Clippers in Game Two. Shock waves reverberated around the league. Woo-hoo!

Game Story

KP (sore right knee) and Trey Burke (ankle sprain) were on the injury report, but both managed to play, fortunately for the team. Patrick Beverley was out with a left calf strain for the Clippers. Rick chose the same starting lineup that he used in Game One — Luka, Tim, DFS, KP, and Maxi. Reggie Jackson stood in for Beverley in the Clips’ starting unit.

First Quarter

The young Mavs appeared to have dispensed with their Game One jitters, and came out ready. They opened the game with an alley-oop from Luka to Maxi, and charged out to an 8-0 lead. KP impressed with an authoritative one-handed slam, and soon the scoreboard stood at 15-2. 

The Clippers bench came in and gave their team a boost, but Dallas managed to limit the damage. Boban had an exciting cutting dunk from Maxi, and Burke made a good defensive play, breaking up a 5-on-3 fast break with a steal. When the buzzer sounded, the Mavs led 29-25, and Paul George had gone to the bench with his third foul.

Second Quarter

The first five minutes of the second period were Bobi Time, as the guards were looking for him, and the gentle giant scored and rebounded with abandon. How much fun was that?! He had a not-so-gentle hard foul on Harrell that was reviewed for a flagrant, but remained a common foul. I could go for more of the Bobi Domination strategy. 

DFS added to the offense with a splashdown three and a layup from Luka on a great cut. KP completed a fancy Eurostep move for a floater. The boys in blue built a 17-point lead at one point, but the Clips stayed in the game courtesy of 14 free throws in the period, and the Mavs took a 61-56 advantage into the locker room. Unfortunately, Luka was called for his third foul with five seconds left in the half. 

Third Quarter

Luka was assessed his fourth foul within the first minute. Carlisle left him out there for a few more minutes, but had to take him out when he narrowly avoided a fifth. 

Things got pretty tense, and the lead had dwindled to 2 points when the Mavs went on an 11-0 run in the last three minutes, on the strength of a DFS three, KP hitting all his free throws when he was fouled on a three-point try, a Hardaway three, and a Burke pull-up. Way to step up with Luka on the bench! Our boys took an impressive 13-point margin into the fourth, at 98-85.

Fourth Quarter

Luka fouled Montrezl Harrell to prevent a layup a few seconds in, and was immediately taken out, having incurred his fifth foul. Trey Burke was subbed in. The non-Luka Mavs performed in a big way in the absence of their leader, who was enthusiastically cheering them on from the bench. Dallas had an 18-point lead at the 5:38 mark, despite Kawhi’s efforts to take over.

The Mavs had some gorgeous plays, including a Burke pull-up off a Bobi screen, a Wright steal, and a Seth-to-Wright-to-KP move for a dunk. At 4:26, however the margin had shrunk to 12, and Carlisle broke the emergency glass and brought Luka back. The Mavericks held on, and completed the blow-out. 

Our men left the court in a very calm and professional manner with little in the way of celebrations, looking as if they had been expected to win all along.

Analytics 

Hot shooting played an important role, as one would expect in a Mavericks win. Our team shot 45% from deep, and ended the game +8 on points from twos, +9 on points from threes, and -4 on made free throws. Ball movement and player movement were good, and 27 of the team’s 44 made baskets were assisted. Importantly, Dallas significantly improved its ball control, committing only 9 turnovers and losing only 8 points on giveaways. The Clips, on the other hand, gave the ball up 15 times, surrendering 19 points. 

The bench was amazing, racking up a whopping 47 points. Free throw shooting wasn’t great, with the Mavs missing a horrid 11 attempts from the line. Luckily, the Clippers missed 9 of their own. The Clippers never led in the contest. 

Players

THJ (37 min) — Timmy contributed 17 points, and also chipped in 3 assists and a steal. Additionally, he was called upon to play some defense, especially  when he would get switched on to some of the Clippers’ big-time players. Was the third option from a scoring perspective, and made some important shots. 

KP (36 min) — Zinger continued to flummox the Clippers, putting up 23 points, getting to the line for 8 FTAs, grabbing 7 boards, staying out of foul trouble, and pretty well neutralizing Zubac, who had only 3 points. He disclosed that he didn’t think his knee was going to allow him to play, but he and the physical therapist had spent hours the day before giving him various treatments, and he was relieved that the efforts paid off. 

Porzee had a Teaching Moment when he committed a soft foul on Harrell, needlessly allowing an and-one. (Luckily, Montrezl missed the freebie.) He was jovial after the game, and thought that he had done a better job of reining in his emotions in this match. The Clippers have no match for this guy. What an incredible player. 

Maxi (33 min) — Kleber was active on the glass, with a team-leading 10 rebounds, and also had 3 assists. Most importantly, he drew the assignment of trying to limit Kawhi, particularly in the second half. He was much improved from Game One, and although Kawhi got his to the tune of 35 points and 10 boards, he had to work for it. 

DFS (30 min) — Doe-Doe didn’t have a flashy line, but he was an important factor in practically erasing Paul George, who was 4-17 from the field and had a measly (by his standards) 14 points. On the offensive end, he hit a couple of timely threes.

Luka (28 min) — Luka recorded a team-high 28 points, along with 8 rebounds and 7 assists, despite playing only 9 minutes in the second half. He was spectacular again. It was thought going into the series that Kawhi, George, and Morris might be able to contain Luka, but it has become clear that they have no one who can match up with him, and they seemed to be flailing, trying to figure out what to try. 

Luka also had a Teaching Moment, when he committed his fifth foul preventing Montrezl Harrell from getting a layup, when it would have been better, with a 13-point lead, just to let him go. I am sure that Carlisle will be speaking with him about the importance of staying on the court, which entails sometimes allowing an opposing player to score. Dirk played under those instructions for many years. Luka also missed a few free throws, but on the whole, it was a splendid game from the young phenom when he was on the floor. 

Seth (26 min) — The bench was, in many ways, the story of this game, and it started with Curry. He had 15 points off the bench on 5-of-7 shooting, mostly inside the arc, and led all players in +/- at an incredible +30. Particularly when Luka was in foul trouble, Seth appeared to recognize that he needed to be more aggressive, and adjusted his game accordingly. Great job. 

Burke (18 min) — Burke was a revelation, with 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting as part of the reserves. He also had 2 steals, 2 assists, and even blocked a shot. Coach said he showed enormous aggression, and was scrappy defensively. He was asked about his role after the game, and considers it his job to make plays, break down the defense, score or find someone else a shot, and defend. He has been focusing on defense and believes he has made a lot of progress. Just the lift the Mavs needed from the recent signing. 

Wright (17 min) — Delon was a mix of the good and the bad, with 3 turnovers, but also three assists, two steals, and some impactful defense. Carlisle raved about him after the game, saying that Wright made influential defensive plays, including deflections, “made things happen” on the offensive end, and was “huge” for the team. Hopefully, this will be good for his confidence level. 

Boban (10 min) — My man Boban was a joy to watch. With 13 points and 9 boards, he became the first player in NBA history to score at least 10 points and grab at least 7 rebounds in a playoff game in 10 or fewer minutes.  For a stretch, we got to see the Mavs try a strategy of making Bobi the focus of the offense, and he stood around the paint and dropped in basket after basket. He also collected rebounds like they were going out of style, and his massive presence in the paint discouraged the Clips from approaching. 

The Mavs have to continue to take advantage of Bobi. None of the Clippers’ big men can stand up to him, and he has absolutely clowned Montrezl Harrell. The Inside the NBA program had him on for a brief and hilarious interview after the game. He admitted that he was a little nervous, it being his first time on the show, and he thanked them for choosing him instead of Luka, lol.

Porzingis mentioned that Bobi has served as a mentor to him. Boban said he would take the compliment, but wasn’t really sure what KP was referring to, other than Boban telling him after Game One that it was very important for KP to stay on the court and to stop doing stupid things that got him sent off, haha. You tell him, Boban!

MKG appeared for 5 minutes, which were unremarkable. 

Clippers — Paul George had a very poor showing, by superstar standards, and the Mavs had a great deal to do with that. Lou Williams continued to torch Dallas, scoring 23 points in 32 minutes off the bench. Kawhi was his impressive self, but just didn’t have enough help to pull off the W. 

Observations

Rick was happy with the effort, and especially praised the bench for their “tremendous” contribution. He felt that the improvement in turnovers was significant, noted that they limited the Clippers’ parade to the free throw line in the second half, and believed that getting a win was very important. He commended his men for their poise throughout the game and for holding up well under the Clips’ very aggressive and physical pressure.

This is the version of the Mavs that we had hoped to see in these playoffs. It is especially impressive that they managed a decisive victory despite Luka being in foul trouble for half the game, the group missing eleven free throws, and KP not having a spectacular scoring game by his lofty standards.

Dallas did get a little lucky that the Clippers missed some open shots, but this win was not fluky. It was well-deserved, and the Mavs looked like clearly the better team. 

It’s one game, and I don’t want to overreact, but this was an incarnation of the Mavericks that could beat anybody. Whether they can sustain it is yet to be determined, but in any case, this should be a massive boost to their confidence, and give them a little muscle memory for how it’s done. 

Congratulations, playoff game-winning Mavs!

Next. Game Three, on Friday. See you there!
Like Reply
Great review, not much to comment on. A couple of my thoughts:
- Burke is a great fit for Mavs because he can play next to Luka and is a secondary facilitator. He can shoot, he is able to facilitate (mostly for himself, but still), he tries on defense. We could imagine how Mavs would look if there was an even better player in his place starting (the Kemba idea). Out of 2020 free agents, only Fred Van Vleet looks like a type of player, that would fit into this specific role. But I doubt Mavs have a chance of signing him.
- I wonder if the countless fouls and sending Clippers to the line was part of strategy. While it gave them a lot of freebies, it may have also disrupted their offense and didn't get them going. Something like Clippers did to Luka in the first regular season match. In any case, I liked Mavs disrupting the fastbreak by strict fouls and not allowing easy baskets. Even though a couple should be avoided (Luka fifth personal)
- Clippers didn't look well in this series so far and I am not sure if it was Mavs performance or their internal problems, whatever they might be. They looked anemic, not focused. Kawhi is a robot that contributes his around 30 points on efficient shooting every night, but even him doesn't look so engaged and he doesn't really involve his teammates. Defense was not on a level we had seen before in the regular season. The only time Clippers seemed like otherwordly contenders were that first three minutes in game 1. Luka couldn't drive so often, so easy and so efficiently against Clippers in the regular season games.
- I really liked what I have seen so far, and I can basically give a positive grade, even if Mavs lose next three games fighting same way as they did in first two. Clippers are still incredibly deep team. What I really like is that Mavs showed heart and incredible mental stability. To come back after that horrible start in game 1, to come even more determined in game 2 after that refs stupidity in game 1. That is big and really something to build on. They showed they are more than just flashy offense. 
- It will be interesting to watch the Clippers answer tomorrow, especially from George. Will he bounce back with a huge game, sink deeper with another mediocre performance or something inbetween.
- I love how Mavs have completely neutralized someone like Shamet, who was very good in the regular season
- Luka is absolutely owning the Clippers point guards Jackson, Beverly and Williams offensively. As soon he is switched on one of them is almost an automatic score or foul. I hope Mavs will continue to be able to create this mismatches. The fourth player that was a target either by Doncic or Burke was Green
- I am not sure why RC singled Wright that way. To me, it didn't look like he played well. Offensively he was mostly bad with three turnovers, stupid three pointer and aimless dribling followed by a pass to guarded teammate with a couple of seconds left. Defensively I also didn't notice anything game changing. Did I miss something? Was the speach to boost Wright confidence (we really need him playing well)? Or was it a sales pitch? Smile 

(08-20-2020, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: KP not having a spectacular scoring game by his lofty standards

He had a very good game imho, he scored 23 on just 13 shots. He didn't need to shoot more because others were also very efficient. Or were others very efficient because defense is so focused on KP? Smile
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Shear Clippers, Even Series at 1-1
Bench steps up with Luka in foul trouble. 

We should double your pay.   Big Grin
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NotoriousOHM/status/...7612181504

https://media.giphy.com/media/27EhcDHnlkw1O/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 05:02 AM)omahen Wrote: - I am not sure why RC singled Wright that way. To me, it didn't look like he played well. Offensively he was mostly bad with three turnovers, stupid three pointer and aimless dribling followed by a pass to guarded teammate with a couple of seconds left. Defensively I also didn't notice anything game changing. Did I miss something? Was the speach to boost Wright confidence (we really need him playing well)? Or was it a sales pitch? Smile

I remember Wright shooting a threepointer when he was open - without hesitating as he does so often. Maybe they've talked about that before the game, maybe Rick told him, the team needs him stepping up, maybe Rick liked what he saw in this regard (even if the threepointer was missed).

I'm speculating massively here, but a lot of Wrights problems in contributing as a Mav seem to be in his head. If this could be worked out somehow, he could actually be the positive presence we all hoped to see.

Good win for the Mavs, it 's a series now. Looking forward to game 3!
Like Reply
Offense is firing on all cilinders. You can see the impact Luka has on guys that can't create their own shot (Kleber/DFS). Curry, Burke and Boban played great. If you take away the 3Q where KP got tossed out, we are averaging 32 points per quarter. Everyone has stepped up. On defense, we have to be careful with the and-ones. 2 times Lou barely got fouled and made the shot. Boban is a great response to Harrell.
Like Reply
I love the Mavs so much. I love our bench, love this entire team. I love Jackson sitting on the bench and not playing one second. Dude Burke saved this game. Everybody contributed including THJ, Curry and Boban making big buckets. To me Burke was the difference maker because he was scoring at will. 

I don't understand what happened to Zubac. Did he get in foul trouble? If the Clippers are going to play small then the Mavs are going to get to the lane a ton. I wonder if the Mavs lineup caused him to sit? I know we had Boban out there for long stretches. I don't get that strategy.

I also am glad to be proven wrong that the Clippers were going to beat the hell out of Luka. Not having PatBev out there harassing him is probably a good thing even tho Jackson came in there and hit some big 3s. If Jackson hadn't hit three 3's in that first half it would have really gotten out of hand for the Clippers. 

I will say I feel a lot better ab the series now. Many of you will say the Mavs should be up 2-0 which is "possible" but assumes the Mavs wouldn't have lost the first game at the end (which they are known to do) and assumes the Clippers wouldn't have come out with much better intensity that second game. 

Splitting the first two games is a big win to me. I think if we had won that first game its possible the Clippers play much better that second game. They are really having a tough time slowing down our offense.

We have such a great offense, we are so spoiled. Look at all the movement, even late in the game guys were still running the offense. So often watching other games, you see 4 guys standing around doing nothing and 1 guy dribbling the ball, especially when you are nursing a 10 point lead. Mavs didn't do that, they kept running their offense with the correct amount of pace (not letting the clock wind all the way down) and so they kept getting buckets. This is key bc the Clippers were still scoring on the other end so it was important that the Mavs were basically breaking even throughout the 4th (or building the lead in some cases). 

Rick is a genius and it shows you that guys know how to play defense in the playoffs. As good as the Clippers are on defense, everyone in the playoffs all of a sudden raises their defensive ability (bc they are trying). So all of the sudden the gap is not as big as the regular season. 

KP + Maxi is a thing and probably one that we should have been seeing all year. Rick was pretty stubborn with playing Maxi in the KP role off the bench but now that he finally has figured out how to use Boban you can keep Maxi in the starting lineup. It's so big not having Jackson or DFS having to play a lot of PF minutes. You are seeing how effective it is with a lot of KP, Maxi and Boban back there. 

I could see this lineup being your new lineup next season or at least an option. If you get a good, athletic PF, then that person is an option in the "Maxi" spot. Mavs playing this great are all of a sudden dramatically improving their chances of attracting free agents that could put them over the top.
Like Reply
A few random thoughts...

They say that it's not a series until someone loses on their home floor. Since LAC was the "home" team I guess it's a real series now.

I love Boban as a counter to Harrell. He really erases Harrell's contributions. Boban's smart enough not to get sucked out of the lane because Harrell isn't going to shoot away from the basket and that makes driving difficult for the rest of the Clips. I was actually surprised he didn't play more last night.

I like this Burke guy. He's a very good ball handler, efficient passer and knows how to score. He has blazing speed to the basket that was frustrating the LAC guards all evening, including 6th Man candidate Williams. I know he's small, but I hope he's part of the team next year. Right now I like his game better than Brunson's. Interested in how he plays the rest of the way.

As stated above, the fouls seemed to kill any offensive rhythm for the Clips. Applying Hack-a-Shac to a whole team, Hack-a-Clip?

This was a good breakthrough win for the Mavs. They have now beaten all the WC "contenders" at least once, so they have proved they can play with anyone, even when things get ugly. And you have to be able to win the ugly games in the playoffs to get to the championship.
Like Reply
Trey Burke is going to make some money this offseason I think. Not sure Mavs can keep him. Obv if you can bring him back on a cheap deal as your 3rd PG he would be great. Otherwise Brunson is going to be the guy doing Trey Burke things but Brunson is a better overall player as he is excellent at running an offense, in addition to scoring. Burke is just playing all out every second he's out there, on defense as well. Playoffs show you that guys have another gear and it's perfect that we got him here as the Mavs really need him.

(08-20-2020, 08:47 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I like this Burke guy. He's a very good ball handler, efficient passer and knows how to score. He has blazing speed to the basket that was frustrating the LAC guards all evening, including 6th Man candidate Williams. I know he's small, but I hope he's part of the team next year. Right now I like his game better than Brunson's. Interested in how he plays the rest of the way.

The thing ab it is as much as I like Burke he really is a scorer and not much else. When his shots are going in and he's getting to the basket it's all great. And you need guys who are aggressive (vs extremely passive, see Wright). He is not going to pile up assists so it really turns into hero ball. If I were the Clips I would try to just get the ball out of his hands when he's rolling. Curry is a problem as well but can get cold. THJ is the guy who I would try to force to run the offense bc he is streaky and can get super cold. THJ's handle is also not as good so you can get more turnovers. All that to say, Brunson is still the long-term solution at 6th man PG.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 05:02 AM)omahen Wrote: KP had a very good game imho, he scored 23 on just 13 shots. He didn't need to shoot more because others were also very efficient. Or were others very efficient because defense is so focused on KP?
My comment on KP not having a spectacular scoring game by his standards was not intended to slight KP, who was excellent. Just a comment on how outstanding it is that the Mavs were able to blow out the Clippers without having to rely on some 50- or 60-point otherworldly, unreplicable game from one of their stars. 

Agree that KP was efficient himself, and that his presence on the floor provided space for others. It's enough to make a body swoon.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 06:42 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/NotoriousOHM/status/...7612181504

https://media.giphy.com/media/27EhcDHnlkw1O/giphy.gif
If I had a nickel for every Luka non call, or a nickel for every free throw the Clips got last night.  Suck it up buttercup.
Like Reply
As happy as we all are right now, who wasn't holding their breath when it was a 10 point game with 4 minutes to go?
Like Reply
Great game! Great thread! My additions:

1. Luka's 7:1 assist-to-turnover ratio is the key to understanding what happened here. If sustainable, Mavs win this series. The strength of the Clips is the 3 brutes who play the 2, 3 and 4 spots. But KP is too long for them. And Luka appears to be too good.

2. Maxi's 10 boards impressed the heck out of me. At least half of them were hotly contested, by which I mean Clips players were taking free swings at his arms and face. And yet he held on. Reminds of Nellie's musing about young Dirk, how he’d never before seen a guy "become" a rebounder. Maybe there’s something Wurzburgy about that.

3. Kawhi has never looked shorter. Seriously. This Mavs team is looooooooooooong!

4. Trey's play last night looked like JJ back in 2011. Without Beverly, the Clips have no one with the speed to stay in front of him. Yes, the Clipper D is ferocious at the 2-4 positions. But KP, Bobi and Trey play around that sweet spot, not through it. If P.Bev can’t return to form in this series, Trey is gonna play more and more.

5. That +/- thing is getting weird. Seth +30 in his 26 minutes seems really odd. Bobi +12 in 10 too, although he’s Bobi, so odd is what we're accustomed to. But MKG -15 in just 5 minutes? How does that even happen? And Jamychal Green -21 in 13? These are crazy numbers! What’s going on?
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 10:36 AM)michaeltex Wrote: As happy as we all are right now, who wasn't holding their breath when it was a 10 point game with 4 minutes to go?
I bet all the posters on this site were having panic attacks...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: 3. Kawhi has never looked shorter. Seriously. This Mavs team is looooooooooooong!

Both Harrell and George are listed at 6'8", but I saw them stand together last night and Harrell looked measurably shorter. He is listed with a 7'4" reach though. Other than Zubac, Noah and Motley, they don't have any other height on their bench. Motley's not active and Noah isn't getting off the bench much.

Interesting to see how this chess match plays out.
Like Reply
Kawhi does look small but man he is so strong he can just bully a much taller DFS. Somehow Kawhi is listed as weighing more than DFS? I think DFS could do well getting stronger. I know he is a guy that can guard multiple positions but I still feel like we need a stronger wing in the mix. We are sort of using Maxi as a big wing even though he is built more like a traditional PF.

(08-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: 2. Maxi's 10 boards impressed the heck out of me. At least half of them were hotly contested, by which I mean Clips players were taking free swings at his arms and face. And yet he held on. Reminds of Nellie's musing about young Dirk, how he’d never before seen a guy "become" a rebounder. Maybe there’s something Wurzburgy about that.

I think we are seeing what we wanted to see entering the season with Maxi starting next to KP. Many of us thought they were great compliments to each other. Powell ended up getting the job and did very well but to the detriment of KP as he couldn't really get comfortable in the offense. Maxi gives you defense, outside shooting and rebounding. The issue was I think Rick wanted Maxi to play the KP role off the bench, which again worked well but we are seeing that Maxi makes the team better in the starting lineup.

In the offseason I thought the lineup would be Luka, Wright, DFS, Maxi, KP. It became clear that DP was favored over Maxi and then the Wright experiment didn't work so it quickly became musical chairs there until THJ took hold of that spot.

Going into next season it's possible the lineup you see now is our most popular lineup (knowing Rick will go small some nights). I could see it being Maxi or Donnie getting another 3D big wing to take Maxi's spot and bringing Maxi off the bench with DP, Brunson, Curry.

(08-20-2020, 10:36 AM)michaeltex Wrote: As happy as we all are right now, who wasn't holding their breath when it was a 10 point game with 4 minutes to go?

I was but the Mavs thankfully continued to run their offense and didn't do the Lebon-style dribble the ball for 20 seconds and jack up a poor shot.

I actually think the solve for the Mavs woes late in game is pretty easy to fix. The plan is to give Luka the ball virtually every possession under 5 min. Last night was weird bc he was playing with 5 fouls but usually he is getting a good look for him or his teammates every time. Harden does this, LeBron does this, Dame usually does this. You see Kawhi do this sometimes altho PG is another good option. Even if Luka struggles sometimes, he will eventually figure it out and then he'll be unstoppable.

Dirk made a living taking a lot of possessions late and he didn't have the ability to create his own shot off the dribble like a guard. Once we figure out to not give the ball to THJ or KP even it's going to be better for everybody. One of those guys still might take the shot but Luka needs to initiate every offensive possession.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: That +/- thing is getting weird. Seth +30 in his 26 minutes seems really odd. Bobi +12 in 10 too, although he’s Bobi, so odd is what we're accustomed to. But MKG -15 in just 5 minutes? How does that even happen? And Jamychal Green -21 in 13? These are crazy numbers! What’s going on?

It´s like a chess match between the head coaches and so far RC is winning.
When MKG is on the floor Doc can play Zubac or Harrell  without getting punished on defense. They just stay in the paint and dare him to shoot.
RC himself can react and do the same. Clippers have a non shooter on the floor. Boban gets minutes and dominates Harrell in the paint.
Doc adjusts again and goes with a smaller lineup. Green plays PF/C and spaces the floor. Mavs can match with KP and Maxi and space the floor as well.
They have the advantage again because the Clippers cannot defend the rim against a 5-out lineup. Meanwhile the Mavs still have KP protecting the rim.
Like Reply
(08-20-2020, 05:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs can match with KP and Maxi and space the floor as well.
They have the advantage again because the Clippers cannot defend the rim against a 5-out lineup. Meanwhile the Mavs still have KP protecting the rim.

This is the beauty of KP and what Luka and KP might become. We can play 5 out with Luka's ability to get to the rim, have shooters at every position, and still have the ability to defend the rim.
Like Reply
Since I sadly "couldn't"* watch the game, I'd just like to know how flukey that W was? Or is it something sustainable?

Tbh, I would've been content with a gentleman's sweep before the series started, but realistically the Mavs looked like the more cohesive team ever if the refs decided to let them play...

*Fell asleep before the 3am tip off
Like Reply
Totally serious, not a fluke.  

Unless you consider Burke a fluke.  I don't anymore, at least not in the bubble.
Like Reply