Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
(08-21-2020, 02:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 05:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: That +/- thing is getting weird. Seth +30 in his 26 minutes seems really odd. Bobi +12 in 10 too, although he’s Bobi, so odd is what we're accustomed to. But MKG -15 in just 5 minutes? How does that even happen? And Jamychal Green -21 in 13? These are crazy numbers! What’s going on?

It´s like a chess match between the head coaches and so far RC is winning.
When MKG is on the floor Doc can play Zubac or Harrell without getting punished on defense. They just stay in the paint and dare him to shoot.
RC himself can react and do the same. Clippers have a non shooter on the floor. Boban gets minutes and dominates Harrell in the paint.
Doc adjusts again and goes with a smaller lineup. Green plays PF/C and spaces the floor. Mavs can match with KP and Maxi and space the floor as well.
They have the advantage again because the Clippers cannot defend the rim against a 5-out lineup. Meanwhile the Mavs still have KP protecting the rim.
Sounds like the Clippers just don't match up well against the Mavs. Tough draw for them.

LOL, love it.

It is kind of hilarious in the sense that the Clippers were the Mavs' worst matchup throughout the regular season.

Leave it to RC to figure out who his team is when he gets to the playoffs. It's happened before.
Like Reply
RC is a genius. He likes to tinker with his roster all season which is annoying when the Mavs aren't winning but he eventually figures out the combination that will dominate the title favorites!
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 03:08 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Leave it to RC to figure out who his team is when he gets to the playoffs. It's happened before.
A-men, bro. As long as Carlisle is in the mix, our team has a chance.

(08-20-2020, 01:07 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I was but the Mavs thankfully continued to run their offense and didn't do the Lebon-style dribble the ball for 20 seconds and jack up a poor shot.
Kudos to Rick for recognizing that his men don't quite have their run-the-clock-down game perfected, and being flexible enough to let them stay aggressive and do what they do best.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 02:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: To Dan and the others who agree with him - I'm sorry, I simply beg to differ. Did you see how furious Luka was at the end of Game 1 when Curry and THJ shot us out of the game by not having the ball go through him? When you have one of the ten best creators in game, who is likely to be top five within a year or two, then yes, you do want to have other stars around him, yes, you need another ballhandler/facilitator (preferably more than one!) to spell him when he sits and to take a bit of the pressure off him - and, reluctantly yes, perhaps even diversify the offense a bit - when he's on the court. But no, absolutely not, you do not get a guy who is going to actively demand the ball away from him, no matter how big a name the guy has, and no, that player does not facilitate for more than 25% of the time shared with Luka. To do otherwise is 1) to grossly waste Luka, and 2) very likely to piss him off royally and inspire him to seek greener pastures. And don't @ me with Llull and Dragic. Luka was a less mature player then.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I don't think that is a bad thought. To me, the end of the game is full on Luka, almost exclusively. I think the main thought to the contrary is getting the team to that end of the game point where the game is at least close and Luka is not fully gassed from doing it all game/season. 

We've seen the gradual dip in his numbers for 2 seasons now. I think that is avoidable if we have someone who is confident and able, so as to shave some of that top of the league usage % down.

Him as a decoy here and there doesn't change the defensive strategy the opposite team employs. It just gives them a different look that hopefully catches them off guard.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/129695...76098?s=20
Like Reply
Also the beauty of KP is he doesn't even have to shoot that great to help the offense. He creates so much space and attention out there that it really makes the offense for everybody else that much easier.
Like Reply
Many thoughtful replies above. 

Great basketball minds on this board!
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 02:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: To Dan and the others who agree with him - 

yes, you do want to have other stars around him,
yes, you need another ballhandler/facilitator to spell him when he sits and to take a bit of the pressure off him 
yes, perhaps even diversify the offense a bit - when he's on the court. 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

So we agree  Smile

I think the fork in the road between us is what is meant by "a better version of Burke".  The issue with THJ at SG (and any combo of DFS, Maxi, Seth KP and Powell filling out the starting lineup) is there is no playmaking.  The most recent Lowe Post podcast talks about the cat and mouse game being played between Dallas and LAC as it relates to defending Luka.  Note that there is no mention of even thinking about anyone else.  As good as Luka is, that is just too predictable.  You have to give opposing D's something else to think about (other than who to cheat off of).

When you use terms like "actively demand the ball", then you are thinking about a different player than I am.  I think facilitating 25% of the time shared with Luka is probably a max also (more agreement).  But, a "better version of Burke" isn't a ball dominant ball hog (in my view).  For instance, I'm not advocating Donovan Mitchell (not that that would ever happen) or Kyrie Irving.  I'm thinking something more like a younger version of George Hill or Brodgon, Jrue, VanVleet or Dinwiddie.  Plenty of ability off the ball when the ball is in Luka's hands, but also plenty of ability to create O on their own to keep D's honest.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 10:08 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The issue with THJ at SG (and any combo of DFS, Maxi, Seth KP and Powell filling out the starting lineup) is there is no playmaking.  The most recent Lowe Post podcast talks about the cat and mouse game being played between Dallas and LAC as it relates to defending Luka.  Note that there is no mention of even thinking about anyone else.  As good as Luka is, that is just too predictable.  You have to give opposing D's something else to think about (other than who to cheat off of).
A very good point. I think we saw that in spades in Game Three. If the defense can limit Luka, and the shooters aren't making them pay, there is just nowhere else to go. With the Clips' clogging the passing lane, it was tough for Luka to even  get good shots for the other guys. Weirdly, it was almost better if he was off the floor in that circumstance, since the ball was less apt to get stuck with no good outlets for moving it. Rick needs to figure something out, although he's got only so much to work with at this point in time.
Like Reply