Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
(08-18-2020, 09:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It seems like this has been hashed over quite a bit in this thread, but like you, I was excited to see the bigger front court start the game. However, that lineup was an unmitigated disaster on both sides of the floor. For all who question Carlisle's tendency to go small, we got a first-hand look at his reasons. When the other team knows Doncic is (literally) the only competent ball handler on the floor, well, he's just not going to have room to go anywhere with the ball.

There is now zero doubt in my mind that Curry needs to be in the starting lineup. Part of me still wants to see the big front court with THJ coming off of the bench, but for some reason that's not happening. Call me a blind coach supporter if you want, but from what I've seen from Carlisle in his nine years here, something tells me there's a good reason for that, too
Thanks for the observations, Killer. It will be interesting to see what adjustments Coach comes up with tonight. 

Good to see you back on the board. We welcome your thoughts in the game recap threads any time.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 09:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Good stuff, Mavsluvr.

It seems like this has been hashed over quite a bit in this thread, but like you, I was excited to see the bigger front court start the game. However, that lineup was an unmitigated disaster on both sides of the floor. For all who question Carlisle's tendency to go small, we got a first-hand look at his reasons. When the other team knows Doncic is (literally) the only competent ball handler on the floor, well, he's just not going to have room to go anywhere with the ball.

There is now zero doubt in my mind that Curry needs to be in the starting lineup. Part of me still wants to see the big front court with THJ coming off of the bench, but for some reason that's not happening. Call me a blind coach supporter if you want, but from what I've seen from Carlisle in his nine years here, something tells me there's a good reason for that, too.
Zach Lowe had an article about it, that the Mavs are like +15 (or in that ballpark) per 100 possessions with Doncic/Porzingis and three guards, but only +2 with Kleber.

I still wouldn´t start Curry. I´d start MKG.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 05:26 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 04:48 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Then Rick Carlisle made the mistake off failing to call for the replay before the technical had been called. 
Undecided
You are the only person I have seen mention this. An embarrassing moment in an otherwise well-coached game. 

On the second technical, it has crossed my mind that maybe KP had forgotten the rule about two techs being an automatic ejection. The European rules on technical fouls are different -- not sure how they would have applied in this situation. 

Remember when Luka was ejected on a second technical for playing keepy-uppy on the sidelines and letting the ball roll into the stands? He had no idea that kicking the ball into the stands, even on a gentle roll, was a technical foul.

I doubt it - unlike Luka, Porzingis has been in this league a long time, he ought to know.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 12:51 PM)meistermatze Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 05:26 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 04:48 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Then Rick Carlisle made the mistake off failing to call for the replay before the technical had been called. 
Undecided
You are the only person I have seen mention this. An embarrassing moment in an otherwise well-coached game. 

On the second technical, it has crossed my mind that maybe KP had forgotten the rule about two techs being an automatic ejection. The European rules on technical fouls are different -- not sure how they would have applied in this situation. 

Remember when Luka was ejected on a second technical for playing keepy-uppy on the sidelines and letting the ball roll into the stands? He had no idea that kicking the ball into the stands, even on a gentle roll, was a technical foul.

I doubt it - unlike Luka, Porzingis has been in this league a long time, he ought to know.
No question he should have known. Maybe he just forgot. (He admitted he didn't think about already having a T when he joined the scrum.)

After Boban told him it was a "stupid thing" to do, maybe he'll remember in the future. My boy Bobi tells it like it is, lol
Like Reply