Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
Mavs Strut Their Stuff in Dropped Opener
Porzingis Ejected in Third Quarter; Luka Sets Record in Playoff Debut

The Mavericks gave the Clips a run for their money in a dramatic and unusual contest. Although the young team showed their inexperience in a number of ways, they demonstrated that they are a team that is capable of giving the Clippers all that they can handle. 

Game Story

Carlisle substituted Maxi for Seth in the starting lineup, in order to counter LA’s big first unit. I thought it was a good decision. 

First Quarter

The Mavs got off to an absolutely horrible start, committing six turnovers within the first three minutes. They were down 0-10 at 10:12, and 2-18 at 8:30. To make matters worse, Luka limped off the court at 7:17, clutching his ankle and grimacing. A heart-stopping moment for Mavs fans. 

Seth came in for Luka, and Dallas’ flame-throwing offense had the game tied at 22-all by the time Luka returned at 3:54. The Mavericks closed the quarter at 38-34 on the back of some rim protection by Bobi and a couple of threes from (drum roll) Michael Kidd-Gilchrist!

Second Quarter

Luka’s bench unit built up a lead in the first few minutes, and by 7:30, our men had accumulated a game-high 14-point margin. At 6:02, KP was called for a foul that he disagreed with, and was assessed a technical for an air punch. Paul George took the opportunity to hit three free throws. 

Due to a combination of turnovers and missed shots, the lead dwindled away, and the game was locked at 57 apiece at 2:50. Dallas clung to a 69-66 edge at the interval. 

Third Quarter

The third period was the Mavs’ undoing. At 9:10, they were up by five, when Marcus Morris gave Luka a yank in an agitating move. Some of the players from both teams gathered. KP walked over, and he and Morris got into a bit of a shoving match (more like slight pushes). The refs reviewed the altercation and assessed double technicals. That was Kristaps’ second T, and he was ejected. 

The air was sucked out of the arena, and the energy level dropped. The Mavericks seemed rattled, and when the buzzer finally sounded, the Clippers had gone on a 22-12 run, and our boys trailed 82-87, having scored only 13 points in the period. 

Fourth Quarter

The team recovered their composure in the fourth, and the Mavs tied the game at 9:44, thanks in part to 4 rebounds, a put-back layup, and an assist of a THJ three from Boban. Dallas stayed within 5 until the last three minutes, when the Clips managed to pull away.

Analytics

Statistically speaking, the game was lost on possessions. The Clips put up a whopping 14 more shots than the Mavs, which proved to be a killer. The men in blue had a very uncharacteristic 21 turnovers, which resulted in 22 LA points. In addition, they gave up 11 offensive rebounds and 14 second-chance points. The Clippers dominated the Mavs in the paint. Our team was -20 on points from twos, +6 on points from threes, and +6 on made free throws. 

In the first half, the Mavs shot 57% from beyond the arc, but by the end of the game, they were only a decent 35% from deep, barely edging the Clips at 34%. For the Mavs to have a chance, those shots have to fall. 

Players

Luka (38 min) — Luka was brilliant, especially considering it was his first NBA playoff game. He set a record for most points in a playoff debut in NBA history (42). His line reflected 14-15 FTAs, 7 boards, 9 dimes, and three steals. These stats, showy as they are, don’t begin to reflect the experience of watching him. 

Patrick Beverley absolutely cannot guard Luka — Doncic is too big, too strong, and too determined. Beverley ended the game with 5 fouls, and had to let Luka go when he sliced through the paint. Kawhi and Paul George both had 3 fouls by halftime, and had to spend the end of the second quarter on the bench. The Clippers’ only hope is to swarm him, and he is very effective at finding the open man when that happens. Doc Rivers said he knows Luka is going to score, but LA wants to limit his assists. We’ll see what they can do in the subsequent games. 

Luka’s own assessment of his performance?  “Terrible. I have to be way better.” The young star was ruing his 11 turnovers. Yes, that’s something he can work on, but considering everything, he was dazzling. 

KP (19 min) —Porzingis is a guy the Clippers have no answer for. His height and skills make him a nightmare for their big men to try to cover. He can shoot over their smalls, and is too agile for their bigs. He drew plenty of fouls, and was 7 of 8 from the line. His rebounding was missed when he left the game. 

KP’s ejection was the turning point of the game. There was disagreement across the Internet with the refs’ decision to give him the second tech, including from Dirk, LeBron, and Kevin Love. Even Doc said that he “hated to see it.” Maybe the refs were too harsh — it’s certainly arguable. I know I was pretty horrified. However, having said that —

I know this will not be a popular take, but both of Porzee’s technicals were boneheaded “rookie-like” mistakes, and he has to be better at reining in his emotions, or at least expressing them differently. 

On the first T, an air punch is an automatic foul — it’s not an area of discretion, and the players have to avoid doing it. The officials had called one on Paul George earlier. I loved Zach Lowe’s advice — KP has to learn not to punch the air, but instead to flail his arms and shout in disbelief, lol. 

The shove earning Zinger the second T,  in “protection” of Luka, also cannot happen. Morris’ attempt to antagonize Luka was pretty much a bunch of nothing. Luka was handling it in a grown-man fashion, and was not in need of someone to come to his rescue. If an “enforcer” was required to deliver retaliation, it certainly should not have been KP, who is badly needed on the court. That’s what the Brian Cardinals of the world are for. For Zinger to even join the scrum when he was already carrying a T was a mistake, given that he is a superstar and his participation is so essential to the team. 

KP spoke after the game, and said he had learned from the errors. He seemed more remorseful about the first tech, saying he didn’t necessarily agree with the “air punch” rule, but has to respect the fact that it exists. On the second T, Morris’ harassment of Luka “wasn’t sitting well with him,” but he said he didn’t think about the fact that he already had a T when he joined the “scuffle.” He thought Morris had played him, and said it was the smart thing for Morris to do. Observed that it had been a learning experience, and said that he will never make those mistakes again. Good enough, then. Live and learn!

Others — Tim Hardaway was the second-highest scorer, chipping in 18 points and grabbing 6 rebounds. Seth regained his shooting touch, hitting 4-8 from long range and scoring 14 points off the bench. Tim and Seth got a little thirsty at the end of the game, but overall, we needed their scoring punch, and they stepped up in that department. The rest of the cast supported the stars, each in his own way. 

Rick’s Secret Weapons

Rick has been hiding a few surprises in his bag of tricks, and I imagine we will see them brought out as the series goes on. He sprung a couple of them in this match. 

The team can play defense! The Clips are a very tough team to defend in general, and especially for the Mavs, who don’t match up well on paper with their superstar big wings. But the Mavs looked engaged on that end of the court and each player contributed as best he could. Much more effective than I expected. 

MKG can shoot threes! Kidd-Gilchrist was 2-3 on three-pointers, shocking the entire arena!  His form looked much improved, and his defense was strong. I wasn’t sure whether he would even play in the series, but he looks like he can help the team. Who knew?

Observations

Basically, I thought the KP ejection ruined an otherwise terrific game, and was very disappointing. 

However, in the bigger picture, I think there are many positives we can take from this contest, despite the loss. The team went toe-to-toe with the mighty Clippers until almost the end, despite the loss of one of their superstars. For Luka, the sky is the ceiling, and he has it in him to meet the biggest of moments. He was the best player on the floor, imho. KP frustrated the Clips, and I don’t think he will allow himself to be baited again. 

There were a number of mistakes, which is to be expected from teams with little experience in the playoffs, but the team also exhibited a gritty and resilient disposition. The future looks bright for this franchise!

Next. Game Two, on Wednesday. 
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 01:54 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Maybe the refs were too harsh — it’s certainly arguable.

I think it is not maybe, it is certain that they were too harsh. Their decision effectively decided the game and the refs are not there to decide games, players are. Refs are way behind the high standards of NBA basketball. I have seen so many blatant mistakes in just one season. Not missed fouls in traffic where it is difficult to see in a split second if it was all ball or hand. Blatant no calls like the two cases below

https://youtu.be/B4jx2D8DVDE (ref is directly looking at him and doesn't blow a whistle. I am also quite ok with that, because LeBron didn't get any advantage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6AcGoc1E4w

As far as missed calls in traffic, you have to keep same criteria. You cannot stay silent after Zubac "blocks" KP and then a minute later whistle a foul for much less contact. Same criteria!

One of the main reasons for bad refs is they are not accountable for their mistakes, which leads to them thinking they are above everything. Just look at this KP case. Basically everybody watching was of opinion, that the call was weak (wrong). Famous former players/coaches now ESPN announcers, best players of the league, arguably even Clippers coach. Why? Because they understand the game and the refs don't. Because they want to watch best basketball. That little shoving was nothing serious, didn't affect anything and happens all the time. I wonder how many times it happened during season and refs didn't deliver technicals. The ref decision critically affected the game. The simple fact, that refs looked at video and considered that tossing KP out is the best decision, tells everything about them. They doubled down on that after the game by findind justification in the rules supporting their calls. Others (Cato below) might have found justifications that could be used to not give a T. Smart ref would have used that one!

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1295559806997209088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1295559806997209088%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2905146-kristaps-porzingis-ejection-gives-nba-playoffs-its-first-what-if-moment

(08-18-2020, 01:54 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I know this will not be a popular take, but both of Porzee’s technicals were boneheaded “rookie-like” mistakes

I agree with that. Air punch is automatic technical, which is well known and I don't have a problem with that. Second one KP should stay out. Still, the ref could aslo be smart and not toss him out.

(08-18-2020, 01:54 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: MKG can shoot threes!

Let's not get enthusiastic after 3 shots and two makes Smile I am not buying he is a decent shooter until he has 200 shots with decent percentage
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 06:02 AM)omahen Wrote: Let's not get enthusiastic after 3 shots and two makes Smile I am not buying he is a decent shooter until he has 200 shots with decent percentage
Hey, even if he doesn’t make another one in the series, making 2 is more than I though he was capable of!
Like Reply
That 5-point swing with the Zubac "block" not being called a foul (-2), the KP block being called a foul (-2) and the tech for showing his emotions (-1, that came to bite later) when we were up 10 was the turning point of the game.

Very poor shot selection by Curry and Hardaway on the 2nd half. Too many hero ball, with no movement. Maxi and DFS have to hit their average for us to have a chance. I actually thought we played decent defense with the pieces we have. Kawhi and PG are extraordinary players. They also didn't shoot the 3 very well.

Kudos to the Mavs FT shooting. I hope it's not the bubble effect. I am confident saying at the end of games (at least here), give Luka and KP the ball and they will make them.
Like Reply
I really hate the goddamn refs. I mean we had a perfectly good game going and KP of all ppl gets ejected for standing up for his star player. Shouldn't have been any techs in that scrum which happen literally all the time. Refs are really incredible. In a playoff game, tossing KP for that is inexusable.

EVEN LEBRON AGREES
Like Reply
My 0,02$: 

1) Although the whole KP ejection was very unfortunate and might have cost us the game, we can´t complain about the officiating. The refs did exactly what the rulebook says. This being insane and ridiculous is not on the refs, but on the league office. 

2) Big time kudos to RC for noticing that Josh Jackson is unplayable. Very good decision.

3) I was a big adovcate of starting Maxi beforehand, but now I´m not sure anymore. He did play great defense on Kawhi, but it also didn´t really matter. Kawhi is just a "bloody monster", but maybe you need Kleber to at least stop him from hitting 50. Obviously the offense did well, whenever they involved Zubac in the pick-and-roll. This just seems easier, when we play only one big. On the other hand who does guard Kawhi then?

4) Morris is the worst, the worst. Such a...

5) Overall I´m very confident. If we limit the turnovers (which is very hard against the Clippers) and can keep shooting well from three, we should stand a chance in game 2 too. Being competitive really is all you can ask IMO
Like Reply
I am proud of the Mavs. They weren't rattled even though they were screwed. The Clippers came out super aggressive and I anticipate they will try to beat the hell out of Luka in every game. We will see if our beautiful refs will protect him at all. They were doing an okay job of equally missing calls on both ends until they decided the game was too close and tossed KP.

KP creates so much space on offense it's ridiculous. He doesn't even have to be shooting particularly well to have an impact. You saw with his exit that shots were much harder to get. Him playing center is a big reason why the Mavs get so many good looks.

If the refs will keep Doc Rivers from killing Luka, then Luka should be handling the ball every time in the last 5 minutes. Late in the game there were a couple dumb transition shots, one of them by Curry I remember when Luka could not be stopped. Eventually they will learn to give him the ball every time like Harden and let him do his magic.

The other big thing with KP out was that rebounding got a lot harder. I didn't mind Maxi out there with KP to help with rebounds and defense. Mavs battled and amazingly kept it close but ya the game was over when KP got tossed for no good reason.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 08:20 AM)Thukydides Wrote: My 0,02$: 

1) Although the whole KP ejection was very unfortunate and might have cost us the game, we can´t complain about the officiating. The refs did exactly what the rulebook says. This being insane and ridiculous is not on the refs, but on the league office. 

2) Big time kudos to RC for noticing that Josh Jackson is unplayable. Very good decision.

3) I was a big adovcate of starting Maxi beforehand, but now I´m not sure anymore. He did play great defense on Kawhi, but it also didn´t really matter. Kawhi is just a "bloody monster", but maybe you need Kleber to at least stop him from hitting 50. Obviously the offense did well, whenever they involved Zubac in the pick-and-roll. This just seems easier, when we play only one big. On the other hand who does guard Kawhi then?

4) Morris is the worst, the worst. Such a...

5) Overall I´m very confident. If we limit the turnovers (which is very hard against the Clippers) and can keep shooting well from three, we should stand a chance in game 2 too. Being competitive really is all you can ask IMO
Morris was number 2 on my dislike list in the NBA.  Bazemore is first.  I don't care how much they would help the Mavs, just keep them away from here.  Smile
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 08:20 AM)Thukydides Wrote: Although the whole KP ejection was very unfortunate and might have cost us the game, we can´t complain about the officiating. The refs did exactly what the rulebook says.

I can't agree with that. Rulebook is offering a lot regarding technicals and is also pretty vague in some parts, as Cato analysed it very well in this piece

https://theathletic.com/2004134/2020/08/...its-worse/

According to rulebook, excessive hand gesture are technicals only if thrown directly at ref. It could be argued KP didn't do that. So, if we are strictly following the rulebook, the first technical was a mistake.

As I mentioned earlier, rulebook is also saying to avoid throwing technicals if possible. This case was a case where it was possible and would make sense.
Like Reply
That's true he didn't do the fist at a ref. Even then I can live with one touchy tech, but two in the same game on your star player? Ridiculous. You can't let two soft tech calls eject a star player in a playoff game. Completely unacceptable and it literally gave the win to the Clippers.

A big win for me this game was not seeing Justin Jackson play at all. He is such a liability on defense. I like giving MKG a chance in his spot. MKG obv hit a couple big 3s in the game. On defense you would think he'd stand out more. He really didn't stand out to me at least but I still think he makes the defense better than a Jackson would. Jackson should probably be used sparingly in this series.

Delon Wright only getting 6 minutes is interesting. His usage is a real head scratcher.
Like Reply
Some great comments from the above posters. 

On the reffing point, now that we've all had a night to sleep on it, I think we may later see this as a turning point in the bigger picture than just this game. 

Whether the refs "should" have called these techs is a topic that should be discussed at a higher level than the refs who worked this particular game. They were following the instructions they were given, but some deeper thought needs to be given at the league level as to when the refs should interject themselves in a game-changing decision over a relatively minor infraction. 

At the team level, this might be a huge lesson for the Mavs in terms of acquiring veteran savvy right out of the gate. They say that experience is the hardest teacher, but the best one, and they have an opportunity to take advantage. 

Specifically, knowing that officiating is somewhat subjective and that refs make mistakes, the players need to develop a sense of when the potential reward of committing a foul is worth the risk. Let's take the first tech. KP's arm gesture was probably in instantaneous reaction, and he probably didn't have a lot of time to think about it. That is why he and his teammates need to get in the habit of responding to bad calls with something other than an air punch. He could, like, do a Tim Duncan palms up with a disbelieving expression instead. Or something. Each player can develop his own signature method of exhibiting disagreement, if he wants. So that their bodies don't react by offering the refs the opportunity to make a call. 

Take the second T. The Clippers are antagonizers. A big part of their whole MO is trying their best to get under their opponents' skin. The Mavs need to develop a mentality of not allowing themselves to fall into the trap of reacting, at least when a reaction does not help and may make things much worse. The cultivation of the habit and development of instincts are the important things -- it is too hard to mentally process those things in the heat of the moment. 

This is not just an opportunity for KP to learn. The whole team has been through a teaching moment, and if they are smart, they will go on to develop a sense of what kinds of risks are worth taking, and when. Like it or not, they can't depend on the refs to overlook reaction fouls, even when doing so would make sense from the perspective of the fan experience. 

This is not to excuse the league for instituting rules that may have unintended consequences. But, if the Mavs can take advantage of this harsh experience, it will be a big step toward the development of a tough, unflappable mentality.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 09:42 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Delon Wright only getting 6 minutes is interesting. His usage is a real head scratcher.

Why? With the exception of a couple of games, he wasn't good and Burke is bringing more on the table. Wright is not a difference maker on defense and lost offensively. I just hope this is an indication we are moving away from him in the offseason.
Like Reply
It's also sort of unbelievable that 2 techs will get you tossed in a game anyway unless they are serious. Not all techs are created equal. KP fist pumping at no one was 1 and then other tech was him in a scrum that happens 100+ times during an NBA season. They should either make it 3 strikes or have some other sort of condition that causes an ejection besides any 2 techs. Complaining ab calls twice in a playoff game for example could "in theory" get you ejected which is just stupid.

@"mavsluvr" I get what you and others are saying that the refs are just "applying the rules given to them" but here's the problem, it's not consistent at all. Draymond Green can go completely nuts all game every game and while he does get technicals you could give him 3 times as many as he gets. There are these NBA scrums all the time. This was one of the most tame scrums I have ever seen and somehow it led to KP getting tossed in a freaking playoff game. Its just ridiculous. The refs have discretion which they use all the time and apply unevenly. If they were consistent we could just say well they are just calling the game the way they are trained to. Clearly they are not consistent at all. Both T's were terrible but I could forgive them for calling 1 "soft" T. Giving KP 2 is just unacceptable and it threw the game!

All that being said I am glad the Mavs team kept it together and didn't lose their cool like the Rockets did a couple of years ago. Fans should be going nuts right now and they are as well as other NBA ppl and NBA fans that don't even have a horse in this race. The Mavs can't do anything ab it except keep playing so I am glad they are trying to keep their head in the game.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 11:16 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: It's also sort of unbelievable that 2 techs will get you tossed in a game anyway unless they are serious. Not all techs are created equal. KP fist pumping at no one was 1 and then other tech was him in a scrum that happens 100+ times during an NBA season. They should either make it 3 strikes or have some other sort of condition that causes an ejection besides any 2 techs. Complaining ab calls twice in a playoff game for example could "in theory" get you ejected which is just stupid.

@"mavsluvr" I get what you and others are saying that the refs are just "applying the rules given to them" but here's the problem, it's not consistent at all. Draymond Green can go completely nuts all game every game and while he does get technicals you could give him 3 times as many as he gets. There are these NBA scrums all the time. This was one of the most tame scrums I have ever seen and somehow it led to KP getting tossed in a freaking playoff game. Its just ridiculous. The refs have discretion which they use all the time and apply unevenly. If they were consistent we could just say well they are just calling the game the way they are trained to. Clearly they are not consistent at all. Both T's were terrible but I could forgive them for calling 1 "soft" T. Giving KP 2 is just unacceptable and it threw the game!

All that being said I am glad the Mavs team kept it together and didn't lose their cool like the Rockets did a couple of years ago. Fans should be going nuts right now and they are as well as other NBA ppl and NBA fans that don't even have a horse in this race. The Mavs can't do anything ab it except keep playing so I am glad they are trying to keep their head in the game.
Thanks for these observations, SBJ. 

I agree that this is a case of the refs spoiling a great playoff game. I agree that the refs aren't consistent. I am not defending the officials. 

However, consistently with the above, I think there actually is something the Mavs can do about it. Both of the actions KP was called for were squarely within the literal definition of fouls. As such, the player should only take them if there is a corresponding benefit to the risk. Take the first T. KP gained nothing for the team by punching the air. He should get in the habit of expressing his disgust in a way that is not an automatic foul.

Similarly, nothing was to be gained from letting Morris bait him into a shoving match when he already had a T.  KP admitted after the game that he didn't think about the fact that he was already carrying a tech when he entered the scrum. Players with one tech need to have it in their heads not to risk getting another one unless it's worth getting ejected over. Although Porzingis' goal of "protecting" Luka may have been laudable, he actually ended up making things way worse than if he had let Luka handle it, or perhaps left the retaliation to less essential teammates.

Players on contending teams need to develop the habit of responding wisely to officiating. If they don't, they will forever be at the mercy of punks like Morris, who will provoke them into reaction fouls every time if they can. 

I'm not sure we even disagree. My point is that the Mavs can't just stop at complaining about the situation (although they should do that). They should also take this opportunity for the whole team (not just KP) to develop habits and attitudes that will avoid self-destructing over bad calls and dirty players. It's the smart thing to do.
Like Reply
Disclaimer, I did not watch game (boycotting TV and major sports websites).

This was a horseshit call.  No way you call that.  BB is based on playing thats what fans want.  This was a stopped play event where nothing major happened and no punches thrown.  This goes on practically every game and its a no call type deal.  

The refs cost Mavs a chance in this series, I can’t stress enough the ability to go up 1-0.  PG has struggled in playoffs so getting him 0-1 might have made a diff.  Imagine if Mavs win Wed the diff between 2-0 and 1-1 in a 4 win series.  

I think the lack of fans means its harder for refs to talk without everyone hearing. So they are stricter.  Normally you have fans cheering or booing but that allows refs to talk to each other without the whole arena hearing.  Talks can help decide if one suggests its iffy and since playoffs to just no call it.  Now all players can hear them talk.

Mavs score plenty of point but need defense.  That should be your off season plan.  

Even tho not watching I check scores and read this board.  Hope Mavs can win the series.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 12:43 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: (boycotting TV and major sports websites).
This is a major website...Smile
Like Reply
All you have to say is if it were LeBron would he have gotten tossed? We all know the answer.
Like Reply
“That is why he and his teammates need to get in the habit of responding to bad calls with something other than an air punch. He could, like, do a Tim Duncan palms up with a disbelieving expression instead. Or something. Each player can develop his own signature method of exhibiting disagreement, if he wants. So that their bodies don't react by offering the refs the opportunity to make a call.”

Haha. This just illustrates the absurdity of the rule.
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 12:53 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: All you have to say is if it were LeBron would he have gotten tossed? We all know the answer.
Same thing that happened when Luka had his head bounce off the court while playing LA...no call even though that could be an assault charge outside of BB...

Can't stop a LA vs LA matchup in the conference finals...NBA and their hired goons aka refs will not allow any other outcome to happen...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 08:20 AM)Thukydides Wrote: I was a big adovcate of starting Maxi beforehand, but now I´m not sure anymore. He did play great defense on Kawhi, but it also didn´t really matter. Kawhi is just a "bloody monster", but maybe you need Kleber to at least stop him from hitting 50. Obviously the offense did well, whenever they involved Zubac in the pick-and-roll. This just seems easier, when we play only one big. On the other hand who does guard Kawhi then?
I thought this was the Mavs' most interesting tactical adjustment. 

Agree that starting Maxi isn't ideal. The offense runs better with a second playmaker/ball-handler on the court. But it can work if the shots are falling. 

The thing is, I don't know what would have been a better choice against the Clippers. DFS is not able to take on Kawhi as his primary assignment. Similarly, THJ is overmatched against George. And a big is required to protect the paint. MKG is an option as a wing defender, although I question whether he can contribute any more offensively than Maxi. 

I suspect the issue of defending multiple big scoring wings will not be resolved in this postseason, but will require an eventual roster adjustment. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.
Like Reply