Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 2.5 pt RAPTOR dogs & 1.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
88.89%
8 88.89%
Rockets
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 68: HOU (41-24) @ DAL (40-28) | 149-153 OT loss
It's about time the NBA got in on social justice. Seeing messages like Free Hong Kong and End the Uygur Concentration Camps will... oh wait they won't have those messages.
Like Reply
I wish NBA (and this forum) would be just about basketball... A little distraction from every day world problems.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 10:06 AM)MrGoat Wrote: It's about time the NBA got in on social justice. Seeing messages like Free Hong Kong and End the Uygur Concentration Camps will... oh wait they won't have those messages.

(07-31-2020, 10:12 AM)omahen Wrote: I wish NBA (and this forum) would be just about basketball... A little distraction from every day world problems.
I wish that as well.  I wish that I could watch sports without politics or prejudice, but it is being forced down my throat.
Like Reply
boo hoo. This is the best run league in the country and newsflash if they want to express their first amendment rights then that's their prerogative. I don't agree with all of the messaging but people acting like this is some sort of serious inconvenience to them need a reality check. Turn off the game if you are so bothered they won't miss you I promise.
Like Reply
Cancel whoever voted for the Rockets Smile

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?thre...189/page-5

The enemy is fired up.
Like Reply
I'd like for folks to have an equal playing field (in life) and have freedom from being hindered, or even opressed, by others, including by governments, in Hong Kong, main land China and in United States (and even other places)! 

Is it ok if I think all those things at once? :-D

Also, I really appreciate the fun that NBA players have afforded me. If they want to tell me about what's important to them every once in a while, I'm game. 

Another also...Man, I think the Mavs idea for the back of their jersey's is the best! "Equality" in each player's own language!!! Love it!!!

Also yet again...Is it ok that I'm ok with cheering for cool phrases that express essential truths without having to get in the weeds about other stuff some organization thinks or without having to think "yeah! but what about ME?"?

And then, just for free, this one is really just for me, and maybe a few others...Man, if Jesus followers in North America, starting in the 17th centrury would have had dinner parties and church meetings that looked like Jesus' dinner parties, and 1st century house church meetings, where prostitues, servants, merchants, males, females, prosoners, rich folks and poor folks all sat at the same table and ate together on equal footing, rather than just mirroring the activities of the larger culture, things might have developed differently in North America. Oppressed folks could have at least had a place of safe haven, and the church in what became the U.S. would have at least had a more healthy seperation from Americanism. (feel free to ignore my spiritual/religious thoughts if you're not interested!) :-)

(07-31-2020, 10:12 AM)omahen Wrote: I wish NBA (and this forum) would be just about basketball... A little distraction from every day world problems.

That's a difficult ask since the NBA and this forum (I assume) are populated by humans! But I get you. At least the NBA and this forum are mostly, basketball, right!?
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 09:48 AM)haveitall Wrote: Just like the players I will take a knee and skip this season in protest of BLM.

Willing to share what about BLM you are protesting?
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 12:25 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote:  Turn off the game if you are so bothered they won't miss you I promise.

Well, considering that the league ratings has declined for 2 years, revenue suffered significantly with China/Morey fiasco and covid-19. I doubt the league has the leverage to tell any fans they won't be missed.

I don't follow American politics that much, and in general I feel that being progressive sells, but if it affects rating (I doubt it) I won't be surprised if they take a step back at some point.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 01:36 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is it ok that I'm ok with cheering for cool phrases that express essential truths without having to get in the weeds about other stuff some organization thinks

That's the thing. I disagree fundamentally with so much of the NBA and its economics, values, pursuits, etc. 

BUT, if we truly "protested" and refused to partake in EVERYTHING that we didn't agree with where would we be? Alone on a desert island. A country of one. Isolated and lonely. I am not suggesting people ever compromise on truth and convictions, but isolating yourself from everything and everyone you disagree with has one end.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Going to take a knee Chinese Muslims tonight
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 10:31 AM)haveitall Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 10:06 AM)MrGoat Wrote: It's about time the NBA got in on social justice. Seeing messages like Free Hong Kong and End the Uygur Concentration Camps will... oh wait they won't have those messages.

I wish that as well.  I wish that I could watch sports without politics or prejudice, but it is being forced down my throat.

Standing up against racism isn't "politics being forced down your throat." Never surprises me when redneck ass southern conservatives feel this way.

I bet someone will bring up China.  Do I wish they spoke out against China too?  I do.  But two wrongs dont make a right.

I'll probably relocate to the Mavs subreddit where the fans are younger and more progressive.  That old Harrison Barnes should preach to Luka thread was an eye opener to how many batshit crazy fans we have.
Like Reply
Anyone have a game stream url that they are planning to use?  I cancelled my tv a while back and haven't missed it.  Tonight would be the first night I did miss it - and would love to simply get in on a stream somehow!  It is actually amazing how little tv my fam watches without a full service and I would hate to reintroduce that!
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 03:22 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:

Standing up against racism isn't "politics being forced down your throat." Never surprises me when redneck ass southern conservatives feel this way.

I bet someone will bring up China.  Do I wish they spoke out against China too?  I do.  But two wrongs dont make a right.

I'll probably relocate to the Mavs subreddit where the fans are younger and more progressive.  That old Harrison Barnes should preach to Luka thread was an eye opener to how many batshit crazy fans we have.

I just remembered that Magick made me a moderator. Dog gone. 

Alrighty then, let's see if I can act like a moderator...

JS82, I'm with you on the importance of combating racism. But your post showed some blindspots as well. Mainly that there are lots of reasons why there are differences of opinions beyond being urban or rural, from certain regions of the country, and being sound of mind. You're throwing steriotypes around like the racists! 

I hope you stay with us, and if you do, respond without name calling. 

Everyone else, I actually love these topics. I don't mind some controversy. But some folks certainly would prefer to focus on basketball here at this basketball based community. 

Here's the acting like a mod directive:

If anyone wants to keep this topic going, if you get tempted to respond here, create another thread for that topic, or find one already created. 
Like Reply
Ok then. Well, let's root for the Rockets to have a night like they sometimes do, almost completely O for from 3. 
Better yet, who cares what the Rockets do. Let's watch our guys take their best shot and beat them anyway!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 04:07 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Ok then. Well, let's root for the Rockets to have a night like they sometimes do, almost completely O for from 3. 
Better yet, who cares what the Rockets do. Let's watch our guys take their best shot and beat them anyway!
 [Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 03:22 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:

umm I’m from nyc with a graduate degree but I love the stereotype saying that I’m a red neck.  I do not support BLM because they abuse people because of their choice of profession.  Not racism per se but it’s the same idea: generalize  a stereotype about a specific group of people then throw rocks at them.  Anyways I’m against supporting political propaganda in sports arenas.  Simple answer for me; tv has an off button.

haveitall, check out my post just a few posts above this. If you want to respond to JS82's post further, pm him, start another thread dedicated to civil discourse of the topics, or pick another thread already in existence that's about these topics. Thanks! - fifteenth
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1289...31552?s=20

Memphis up 6 with 6 to go.

Overtime.  This is a really good game.
Like Reply
Mavs basketball is finally back! I’ve barely been lurking in the absence, but I’m so excited to be back to action. 

As the first real game in the bubble, this is a must win game, as always!
Like Reply
Agreed.  Part of the problem is that the sports media like TNT and ESPN are completely committed to leftist social justice ideology and will push the players to speak about social issues.  The first question they asked Lebron last night was like that.  If they would just keep their questions sports-related, I think the fans would be very happy.  We fans don't need to be lectured by the media, players, and coaches about how good or bad America is, as we have ample information from other sources, by which we can make our own determination.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 05:29 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1289...31552?s=20

Memphis up 6 with 6 to go.

Overtime.  This is a really good game.
1 win to go!
Like Reply