Poll: Besides Luka/KP, who is the most important player for the Mavs success?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tim Hardaway Jr
9.26%
5 9.26%
Dwight Powell
9.26%
5 9.26%
Delon Wright
38.89%
21 38.89%
Maxi Kleber
7.41%
4 7.41%
Seth Curry
20.37%
11 20.37%
Dorian Finney-Smith
1.85%
1 1.85%
Boban Marjanovic
0%
0 0%
Justin Jackson
3.70%
2 3.70%
Jalen Brunson
7.41%
4 7.41%
Ryan Broekoff
1.85%
1 1.85%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Besides Luka/KP, who is the most important player for the Mavs success? Why?
I have posted a couple of times that there are several guys on this team with a GREAT opportunity to rise to their personal career high levels. Seth is my vote, whether he starts or not because if he gets JET level minutes and becomes that guy, which I think he just might, he would become our third most important guy. But the exciting beauty of this team is we have several guys who could become similar stories. Playing with Luka and KP combined with available minutes makes this more likely. 

Who is it going to be. If we get 4 great stories, we will be watching them in the playoffs.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
So the question was 3rd most important, but if you want to talk 3rd best...

when will JJB be 100%

Tongue
Like Reply
(10-02-2019, 02:05 PM)fifteenth Wrote: So the question was 3rd most important, but if you want to talk 3rd best...

when will JJB be 100%

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-02-2019, 02:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:05 PM)fifteenth Wrote: So the question was 3rd most important, but if you want to talk 3rd best...

when will JJB be 100%

FIRST: I would bet one meeiilyon dollars that you at least smiled

SECOND: ...

I'm not joking!!!!!!

Another thought, a player that would move the needle quite a bit if he surprised everyone and played really, really well:

THJ
Like Reply
(10-02-2019, 02:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: SECOND: ...

I'm not joking!!!!!!

You REALLY think that JJB is the third best player on this team at his current age?
Like Reply
(10-02-2019, 03:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: SECOND: ...

I'm not joking!!!!!!

You REALLY think that JJB is the third best player on this team at his current age?

No, I don't really think that. But...if by some miracle, at his age, he comes back and plays at the same level at which he played the last time we saw him, then he'll put together some stretches that would be 3rd best player level. 

REALLY, his role will most likely be spot duty rather than regular rotation, and a real live 3rd best player candidate doesn't play spot duty.

But I fully expect him to amaze us in some of his spot duty, stop gap, change the momentum minutes. It's what I've come to expect from him. And hey, JJB, make sure to pass on everything you know to Delon and JB!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dmn_mavericks/status...6613586951
Like Reply
The answer is the coach.  Luka and KP are the anchors, but RC is going to have to take that fairly talented hodgepodge of role players and create a winning formula on a night to night basis.  The coaching staff is going to earn its money this year.  I think the rotations for this team will be a lot more game specific than we’re used to seeing, with everyone on that list playing a very specific micro role and getting minutes based on what’s needed against a particular opponent.  There probably will be no third wheel.  But if anyone is able to break out, I think it would be Brunson, since he tries harder and is more dedicated to his craft than nearly any player I see (and that’s not a knock on the other guys who all seem like first rate pros, it’s just that I get the feeling Brunson would run through a brick wall if that’s what is needed to win a game or become a better player).
Like Reply
In a salary cap league with limited abilities to add talent, you need to hit on big contracts, or be able to move them for other talent.  I voted for THJ as the 3rd most important to Dallas' success this season.  He has the ability to add a powerful 3rd scoring option, or continue to be inefficient and be a millstone.  He can play well and may be a tradeable player, or get dnp-cd'd.  There is no bigger variant on this team - almost all others, you kinda know what they are going to bring.  

A good season from THJ could supercharge the Mavs' upward trajectory, or a bad one slow them down until they can get rid of him, or even hinder what they can exchange him for in trade.  His season can GREATLY affect the success of the Mavs this season.  

Personally, I don't have that great of faith in him being a help, so my vote is ultimately he will be a reason that we were held back.  I think Delon/Seth will have a bigger impact on us being a winning team this year.  If THJ could regain his ATL efficiency - hell, if he could shoot like Matthews did last year - he would be a major benefit to our squad.  For all of the hate Matthews got, he was a better 3pt shooter last year than THJ has EVER been.  Now, I like the rest of THJ's game better than Matthews, but I can't ignore what a crappy shooter he was last year from behind the arc.  Luka dioesn't escape my glare on that point either.  We shot a ton of 3's, we didn't shoot them particularly well... Man, would Danny Green have looked good in a Mavs jersey.  Haha.
Like Reply
I voted Seth because this team really needs an elite 3-point shooter to be successful long term. If Seth can't find his stroke consistently and be that guy then I'm not sure this team can succeed in the playoffs.

Edit: I didn't look at this until after I posted the comment, but so far this year Seth is 14/28 (50%) in Mavs' wins and 3/19 (16%) from 3 in Mavs' losses. Correlation does not equal causation, but I think this helps affirm my belief that they need Seth (or somebody outside of Luka/KP) to hit 3s at a high rate in order to be successful. If not, those beautiful passes from Luka go to waste.
Like Reply
For me THjr is this teams X-Factor. 

If he plays well the Mavs are unlikely to lose.

He is a trap player as he shows flashes. He looks absolutely fantastic spotting up and when he moves the ball. He is moving well off the ball as well.

Sadly he has this tendency of pressing it which Porzingis and Brunson also have displayed this season from time to time.

He he, as the rest of the Mavs can stop their weird early shot clock contested pull up 3s and only use them when they are hot or as a bail out option this team will be great.

He is the most inconsistent player so in the unlikely event that he can gain some consistency at a positive level Mavs will be significantly better.

Definitely third most important, not third best which is a debate between Wright, Porzingis and Kleber depending on where we lay the focus.

When looking at the insignificant set of lineup data Hardaway has been part of 7/10 of our best 5man units by net rating for lineups with at least 5 mins played.

My inner Carlisle wants to see him starting in the place of Dorian Finney Smith, I'm curious how that would work out, or instead of Curry.

T. Hardaway Jr., .K. Porzingis, .D. Finney-Smith, .M. Kleber, .L. Doncic

T. Hardaway Jr., .K. Porzingis, .S. Curry, .M. Kleber, .L. Doncic
Like Reply
Im confused that THJ has 10% of the votes. 4 people actually voted for THJ. I read a couple reasons why and don't disagree but the thing is the question says who is most important to the Mavs success in the 3rd spot. Now the same reasons said for THJ apply to everyone seeing as how we all know who THJ is and what his game looks like. Saying if he just consistently plays way better than he normally plays would apply to anyone of our other players having a huge impact on our success...

If Wright or Seth plays way better than they are known to have played they make a bigger impact than THJ. Same for Maxi Dodo and Powell. Also everyone on the team plays better defense than THJ by a large margin. Yes even Powell...

I understand if hes hitting shots that helps a lot but he never plays defense and rarely passes the ball at all. Everyone else can take his shots and if they were to go in would land the same return without having all his downside of 0 defense and playmaking ability for his team mates.

Just my thoughts fellas. Wasn't trying to discredit the pick as much as lack of understanding on how you could click his name and hit the vote button lol.

With all that said I think THJ is a super nice guy and a really hard worker. I seen all the work he did this summer. Just sad it didn't translate into anything consistent just yet.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:44 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: Im confused that THJ has 10% of the votes. 4 people actually voted for THJ. I read a couple reasons why and don't disagree but the thing is the question says who is most important to the Mavs success in the 3rd spot. Now the same reasons said for THJ apply to everyone seeing as how we all know who THJ is and what his game looks like. Saying if he just consistently plays way better than his normally plays would apply to anyone of our other players having a huge impact on our success...

If Wright or Seth plays way better than they are known to have played they make a bigger impact that THJ. Same for Maxi Dodo and Powell. Also everyone on the team plays better defense than THJ by a large margin. Yes even Powell...

I understand if hes hitting shots that helps a lot but he never plays defense and rarely passes the ball at all. Everyone else can take his shots and if they were to go in would land the same return without having all his downside of 0 defense and playmaking ability for his team mates.

Just my thoughts fellas. Wasn't trying to discredit the pick as much as lack of understanding on how you could click his name and hit the vote button lol.

With all that said I think THJ is a super nice guy and a really hard worker. I seen all the work he did this summer. Just sad it didn't translate into anything consistent.

Most talented and most inconsistent guy after the big 2.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:47 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Most talented and most inconsistent guy after the big 2.

I think it's more his confidence than talent. Other guys have as much talent IMO. Definitely the most inconsistent though.
Like Reply
Still going with Maxi. Good help defense, rim protection and the ability to stay in front of guards/wings. Add 38% 3-point shooting (48% from the corner).
A player that every team needs. Able to guard the best opposing scorer but low maintenance on offense. He does not need touches to make an impact but is able to score within the flow of the offense.
More minutes for Maxi lead to good results. Don´t see a reason why he shouldn´t play 30 minutes a night right now. Powell  struggles against starters and gets eaten alife by any half decent scorer. Boban is only useful in certain matchups.
Like Reply
(10-02-2019, 02:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

when will JJB be 100%

FIRST: I would bet one meeiilyon dollars that you at least smiled

SECOND: ...

I'm not joking!!!!!!

Another thought, a player that would move the needle quite a bit if he surprised everyone and played really, really well:

THJ

Hey, look what I said about THJ at the beginning of the season!!!
Like Reply
Nice bump. And yeah, holy cow, did he ever explode onto the scene!
Like Reply
Very true Fifteenth. My opening comment on lots of guys having huge opportunities seems pretty on target as well. I'll give opportunity taken status to THJ, Maxi, Curry, DFS and Brunson. Wright, was also a contributor more than we gave him credit for at times. I noticed him making a lot more 3's than I thought he would. 

Those opportunities taken have us in the playoffs. Those large number of close losses are now an opportunity to prove we have learned how to win, just in time for it to really count. 

We should look back like this more often. It's fun!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply