Poll: Besides Luka/KP, who is the most important player for the Mavs success?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tim Hardaway Jr
9.26%
5 9.26%
Dwight Powell
9.26%
5 9.26%
Delon Wright
38.89%
21 38.89%
Maxi Kleber
7.41%
4 7.41%
Seth Curry
20.37%
11 20.37%
Dorian Finney-Smith
1.85%
1 1.85%
Boban Marjanovic
0%
0 0%
Justin Jackson
3.70%
2 3.70%
Jalen Brunson
7.41%
4 7.41%
Ryan Broekoff
1.85%
1 1.85%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Besides Luka/KP, who is the most important player for the Mavs success? Why?
Question 
So which player, not named Luka or Kristaps, is the most important to the Mavs having a "very successful" season? 

Why do you think this player is more critical to the season than the others?

Note: I listed the players in order of salary and could only choose ten, so I left off the rookies and Courtney Lee.
Like Reply
(09-27-2019, 04:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So which player, not named Luka or Kristaps, is the most important to the Mavs having a "very successful" season? 

Why do you think this player is more critical to the season than the others?

Note: I listed the players in order of salary and could only choose ten, so I left off the rookies and Courtney Lee.
 Good question.  I think Delon has to be that defensive guy with enough offense to keep the enemy honest.
But really, it's all about JJB  Tongue
Like Reply
Of the Mavs from last year still on the current roster, only Kleber (35.3% on 3.1 attempts) and Justin Jackson (37.2% on 3.0 attempts) shot more than 35% from three last year while playing significant minutes. 

Seth Curry shot 42.5% on 4.6 attempts in his season with DAL and 45.0% on 3.4 attempts last season with POR. He was 43.3% on 5.2 attempts as a starter in DAL and 45.5% on 5.5 attempts as a starter in POR.

I think spacing is what Luka and Kristaps need more than anything else to be absolutely dominant. I believe Seth Curry offers that in spades if he gets the minutes. If Seth can get 5-7 attempts per game and stay around his career average (43.9%) then I think he makes this team (as well as Luka and Kristaps) absolutely lethal.
Like Reply
Brunson...if he can improve and get a starting spot he can guard the water bug type players and leave Delon to guard the better bigger wing players...that allows Luka to guard the lesser wing player...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
There are a number of players that will need to step up. Powell and Brunson need to at least repeat performance from the second half of last season. Delon must be a defensive bulldog and at least average shooter on offense. If I had to pick one, I would pick THJ. If he would be able to live up to his contract, that would be biggest contribution. Offensive spark on decent efficiency and honest defense. He certainly has the tools, just need to put them together.
Like Reply
It's really hard to answer this without knowing the roles the rest will be playing and how many minutes they will get. I said Delon Wright cause if he steps up his offensive game and keeps his defense, he's the only real lock to start as far as I can tell at this point.
Like Reply
I see Wright playing a ton of minutes. Probably 2nd to Luka but possibly even more if they can rest Luka some. 
He'll be our best perimeter defender and he's decent at everything. Would be a win if he could develop more of a shot and morph into a true #3 option. 
We're kind of #3 by committee now
Like Reply
I went with Dirk we really need him to get back up to about 15ppg and his vet leadership will be important
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(09-27-2019, 05:10 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Brunson...if he can improve and get a starting spot he can guard the water bug type players and leave Delon to guard the better bigger wing players...that allows Luka to guard the lesser wing player...

I think Brunson could be that player for the exact same reason I chose Seth. This team needs to space the floor better for Luka this year. KP will already do that himself....if Seth or Brunson shoot 40+% from three on lots of a attempts then Luka is going to EXPLODE in efficiency. The improved floor spacing possibilities this year alone are the reason I think the Mavs win about 15 more games than last year.

(09-27-2019, 05:19 PM)omahen Wrote: If I had to pick one, I would pick THJ. If he would be able to live up to his contract, that would be biggest contribution. Offensive spark on decent efficiency and honest defense. He certainly has the tools, just need to put them together.

I like this pick and debated it myself. If THJ can at least give himself solid trade value then he becomes the most important player because of how he can lead to making this team better through trade.

(09-27-2019, 05:29 PM)Jym Wrote: I see Wright playing a ton of minutes. Probably 2nd to Luka but possibly even more if they can rest Luka some. 
He'll be our best perimeter defender and he's decent at everything. Would be a win if he could develop more of a shot and morph into a true #3 option. 
We're kind of #3 by committee now

Yeah, I think Delon for sure has the potential to be this guy. But I still think he needs floor spacing to be effective, so I think the three point shooters are the biggest key to the season.
Like Reply
Just a reminder of what Seth did in 42 games as a starter in DAL:

31.7 mins
14.7 pts
2.8 asts
2.9 rbds
1.2 stls
1.5 TOs
48.2% FG
43.3% 3P
86.3% FT

Most importantly he was +2.7 offensively on/off and +1.6 defensively on/off for the year with DAL.
Like Reply
With Kleber, Powell, Curry and Delon we pretty much know what they can do and I don´t expect a big improvement at this point in their career. All of them will have important roles but non of them is known as a franchise changer.
I really hope that one of the reserve guys can emerge as the x-factor.

Broekoff turning into Joe Ingles 2.0.
DFS developing a reliable 3-ball.
Brunson turning into JJB 2.0.
Justin Jackson turning into KD light.
Like Reply
This is a great but almost impossible question for me. My cop out answer: The quality of depth and cohesion of players 3-10 is the third most important thing for the Mavs this season.
Like Reply
Curry. His shooting is so good he's an irreplaceable piece for our offense. And he may be our best defensive option against other small guards
Like Reply
For the Mavs to be within striking distance of the playoffs, they will need their 3 best players to play their best... and our 3rd best player is Curry - that's who I voted for.

After Curry, the Mavs will need their 4th - 10th best players to collectively outwork our opponents 4th - 10th best players night in / night out to have a shot at the playoffs.
Like Reply
I agree with Curry being the 3rd most important right now though I voted for Delon cause even then it was close between the 2 I am sure at this moment he will be starting and I am not sure Curry will just yet.

I think most of us keep getting stuck with Jackson starting and forget that we could be running 2 new guards out there together to start like Delon and Curry at the same time...

If that does happen which I hope it does yet I don't think it will then I'd go back to Curry being the 3rd most important. He's the huge key to our offensive spacing. Delon is the exact opposite and the main key to our back court defense help which we need desperately as well...

The more I talk the more its a tie between the both of them lol but only if both start.
Like Reply
(09-29-2019, 04:01 AM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: I agree with Curry being the 3rd most important right now though I voted for Delon cause even then it was close between the 2 I am sure at this moment he will be starting and I am not sure Curry will just yet.

I think most of us keep getting stuck with Jackson starting and forget that we could be running 2 new guards out there together to start like Delon and Curry at the same time...

If that does happen which I hope it does yet I don't think it will then I'd go back to Curry being the 3rd most important. He's the huge key to our offensive spacing. Delon is the exact opposite and the main key to our back court defense help which we need desperately as well...

The more I talk the more its a tie between the both of them lol but only if both start.

I'm between Seth and Delon as well.  I went with Seth because 
1) He actually moved up the pecking order quite a bit in his Portland stint it seemed. 
2) At times Seth's shooting really does look like a light version of the Elite and legendary version his brother has made a staple. 40% 3 on high volume?  Luka and KP will FEAST! 
3) At 29 we can't talk too much in terms of 'ceiling' but his older brother is still going very much strong.   So could he still be a legit Steph lite?   Maybe so.  That could make him a #3. 
4) Married man.   Let's see how he settles in.    Marriage.  Big Grin  Heart or  Dodgy
Like Reply
Maybe I was wrong....maybe it is THIS guy....

[Image: EFppqnDXYAANSzX?format=jpg]
Like Reply
(09-29-2019, 05:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Maybe I was wrong....maybe it is THIS guy... 

Boban needs a courtesy vote.  Undecided
Like Reply
Seth is going to be very important to our offense, but I'm not sure he's starting. Delon is going to be very important to our defense, and if he can get his three up around 35%, we will probably win 45 games.
Like Reply
We all know that KP is going to have to take some games off here and there until management and coaching staff are comfortable having him go full throttle. If the Mavericks want to stay competitive in those games where he is on the bench guys like Dwight and Maxi are going to have to crash the boards, get a few swats, and chip in some points here and there if Dallas wants to keep up in the playoff race.
Like Reply