Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 5.5 pt RAPTOR & 7.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
3 50.00%
Pelicans
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 63: NOP (26-36) @ DAL (38-25) | 127-123 win
(03-05-2020, 01:27 AM)omahen Wrote: - I don't really understand why the league is hyping up a player who is a freak athlete, but really doesn't have much other basketball skills. I still don't believe his body will last long. Maxi did an excellent job defensively. But he is a freak athlete, such explosiveness. Imagine he would have Luka basketball IQ

I think he's fun to watch.  Better than rookie/sophomore Giannis, and I think he'll develop some skills too.  I hope he stays healthy, seems like a great kid.  Man... if he had Luka BBIQ it's over.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 02:04 AM)radioaktiv Wrote: Man... if he had Luka BBIQ it's over.

Which leads me to a question, why are the extremely athletic guys very rarely developing other basketball skills. I guess this is the way to make it fair Smile
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 02:54 AM)omahen Wrote:

Which leads me to a question, why are the extremely athletic guys very rarely developing other basketball skills. I guess this is the way to make it fair Smile

Because they’re so dominant in their early years that they don’t have to learn fundamentals to win. BBIQ doesn’t really become important until the NBA.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 01:27 AM)omahen Wrote: I still don't believe his body will last long

Yeah, I will be completely shocked if Zion's body holds up in any form or fashion. Everytime he ended up on the deck last night I wondered if he would get up hobbled. The equation is bad:

Too much weight x Too much power x poor body mechanics/alignment = HIGH RISK
Like Reply
KP and Luka combined were 64/29/13 with 6 blocks.    Heart
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 01:27 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't really understand why the league is hyping up a player who is a freak athlete, but really doesn't have much other basketball skills. I still don't believe his body will last long. Maxi did an excellent job defensively. But he is a freak athlete, such explosiveness. Imagine he would have Luka basketball IQ

I'm no Zion defender, but the reason they're hyping him is because fan interest for this guy coming out of college was LeBron level. The league tries to give the paying public what they want. It's annoying for the rest of us when it happens, like during era of 24/7 Heat coverage, but ultimately it's a business. 

I disagree with your point about him having no basketball skills. He doesn't have Luka ball skills, or basketball IQ, but...1) who does? and 2) that's not Zion's game. He has amazing skills around the basket (rebounding, O&D, scoring, foot work, timing) as well as having pretty impressive passing and ball skills for a man of his mass. He's earned the respect of some pretty talented players on his own team.

Now to your more important point...

(03-05-2020, 01:27 AM)omahen Wrote: Maxi did an excellent job defensively.

Isn't that cool!? I love Maxi. And I love games where they tell Maxi to go shut down a specific player. I heard this morning that Maxi blocked 5 Zion shots! If Maxi can go ahead and nullify Zion for us for a few years that sure would be helpful.

(03-05-2020, 01:04 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...2246531075

KP is such a great interview!
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 09:19 AM)fifteenth Wrote: He has amazing skills around the basket (rebounding, O&D, scoring, foot work, timing) as well as having pretty impressive passing and ball skills for a man of his mass.

Not really sure about the first part. I would say most of that is result of his really off the chart athleticism - explosivenes for his body mass. However, Mavs pretty much showed how you can neutralize him to extent - put a tall strong guy on him, take a step away from him and really focus on boxing out. 

(03-05-2020, 09:19 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I heard this morning that Maxi blocked 5 Zion shots!

Minor correction. Maxi had 5 blocks, Zion was blocked five times, but not all blocks on him were by Maxi.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 12:08 AM)embellisher Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 11:54 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: That is the play he draws up  jc he is friggin awful

For a person who claims that they know hoops better than RC, you’re an idiot if you think that was the play that was called. Pelicans D made that happen.

The problem is there was no real movement to get the ball in bounds, I understand it was not supposed to be KP isolation but even after that, there needs to be an option of a cutter down the the middle of the floor, if KP had that option say Luka cutting, that is a way better shot. This as been a problem here for year getting the ball in bounds and actually running a set that works if you cant understand that you are beyond help.

(03-05-2020, 12:20 AM)donzingis38 Wrote: Mavs need to keep improving roster-wise. This Pels team scares me, tbh. Zion/Ingram/Ball wont be fun to play against next year.

Holiday is important player with out them they will be reall bad on D, they will need to play through Ingram more and less touches for Zion.

The Zion love fest is just bad for him because he wont meet the expectations because he is right a one dimensional game he is a terrible passer 2.2 assist to 2.6 turnovers.

He excelled in leaking out and tying to get an early post up on Maxi before they help defender could get down there, they did that all game including when Mavs were shooting ft they would have Zion down on the offensive end they get early post position.

When Maxi laid off of him he took the 14 foot set shot and had no lift and thus his shot was flat.

He was also out of gas playing his first back to back he played 35 minutes and had 6 rebounds that is pretty mundane for a 4 that plays in the paint.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 09:39 AM)bartlettbear Wrote: The problem is there was no real movement to get the ball in bounds,  I understand it was not supposed to be KP isolation but even after that, there needs to be an option of a cutter down the the middle of the floor, if KP had that option  say Luka cutting, that is a way better shot. This as been a problem here for year getting the ball in bounds and actually running a set that works if you cant understand that you are beyond help.

Hey bartlettbear, can I give you a compliment? You take some heat (from me included sometimes) for your hot takes, but I think it's cool that someone can throw the word "idiot" in a response to you and you just calmly respond by talking more basketball. That's really commendable and we should all be willing to sluff stuff off like that. Kudos to you man.
Like Reply
Zion was "neutralized" and still scored 21 on 9/18 shooting as a 19yr old rookie.  He's averaging 24ppg on 58% fg as a 19 year old rookie.

Just think about that for a second before you call him overrated.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 02:54 AM)omahen Wrote:

Who do you mean by this?  Great ones always work and improve their games. Bron and Giannis for example have put a lot of work in to improve their jump shots.
Like Reply
agree with jsw82 on Zion
Like Reply
Another compliment for bartlettbear. I agree with your comments on Zion above 100%.
Like Reply
Let’s say Zion doesn’t develop anything more to his game(highly unlikely). As his game currently stands he is a physical specimen who has an amazing first step, soft hands, ability to stay in the air, and an incredible 2nd jump to boot.

That quickness for that size is rare. This guy is going to be a problem for the Mavs and others if he stays healthy. I would like to see the Luka Zion battles down the road. Should be fun. If the league then also gives him the calls where he lowers his shoulder and moves opponents aside then you can do nothing.
Like Reply
Caught myself saying a few things a last night:

"Man, KP is good good."

"Can't believe we got KP"

"Man, Knicks are dumb"

"Wow, Zion is good"

"This dude is huge and he's only 19!"

"Man, he has the fastest first step/bounce i've seen"

"Man, Maxi is getting a physical beating"

Zion is a stud.
Like Reply
Pretty sure Luka, Zion and KP would have been the center of the basketball universe.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply