Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 126
THJs defense looks pretty good to me most nights. I am not doing film breakdown but I like that he's a legit guard with size. Definitely better than his reputation. I think we just need a stud on defense which is why I was big on RoCo.
Like Reply
To be honest, i didn't get to see the game but was expecting a loss because we dont mix our SF/wing rotation enough or play "tough" enough to try and grind teams and win that way. The hope seems to be to make enough 3s and get the occasional Luka/KP magic and sneak out a win. 

What I dont get is in times past even if a player can't create and score for themselves, defense/rebounding and just grit play would get you minutes but our teams seems to be fully of the philosophy that if you dont/cant make 3s you dont play much and cant mix in guys whos strong suit is hustle/defense and the like. We put up more 3s than we did in 2011 when he had top 5 3PM players and cant put together a halfway decent defense and wonder why we blow leads and lose to decent/good teams.

Where is the adjustment o top 5 coach with the playoffs looming? We need to play our PGs at point guard and give wing minutes to DFS,MKG,Lee who I've seen to be decent in the team defense and not completely ignorable (if thats a word) on offense. 

Everyone on the floor doesn't have to be a threat to shoot but a threat to contribute to creating a scoring play. Tyson/Haywood/Matrix/Brewer weren't shooting 3s in 2011 but they kept the defense honest by being able to catch and go/make FTs at a decent rate, the O rebound tap outs, and they contributed on defense. Even Stevenson who frustrated us all sometimes calling his own number from 3 at least played hard nosed defense. On this team only Maxi, THJ and DFS play that kind of focused defense but sometimes find themselves outmatched because there is no last line of D to help or they go to the bench and we play some ass no defense lineup. 

Adding size helps with those tipouts, rebounds, adding length on the perimeter and more aggressive defense. With the playoffs around the corner, we also need to figure ways to score when the defense/refs are beating up on Luka..... (heres where a boban/kp post up opens the floor or a WCS/insert guard P&R).

Play Boban, Lee, WCS when he gets back..... because we are a jump shooting team primarily who dont create good shots when played tough. with no alternative to score and we play small so we cant defend!! When we dont play size, we shoot ourselves in the foot. As i pointed out in a " different post, all other teams "small ball" is bigger than our starting lineup. That means we need to mix up our SG/SFs as best we can and refrain from playing players obviously out of position. No Curry/Delon at SF in most cases and play THJ, DFS, MKG, Lee at SF with Maxi/KP/WCS/Boban backing them up. 

Rotation should be something like

PG. Luka/Curry/Brunson/Delon/JJB (mix based on need for size/who's motor is most engaged and is affecting the game)
SG. THJ/Curry/Delon/Lee
SF. DFS,Maxi/Lee/MKG/THJ
PF. Maxi/KP/MKG/DFS
C. KP/WCS/Boban w/ occassional/rare minutes for Maxi. 

We gotta do better than just hoping the 3s fall and to do that we gotta mix some players who can't shoot but can defend/rebound/screen/intangibles or we'll be lucky to win more than 2 games in the playoffs. If we play a PG at SF, we gotta surround em with size and defense or can expect to be picked apart by the better teams.
Like Reply
Even the Rox who started the trend for 3s have let Westbrook do what he does best....attack the basket, take midrange shots, and eschew the 3s. They are a different team once that has taken place.

You cannot win in the modern game without the ability to hit 3s. However if you don’t have someone to complement that and continuously attack the basket your offense will become stagnant and over reliant on one aspect.
Like Reply
Luka goes to the basket as well as anyone. curry also goes toward the basket effectively
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:09 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Even the Rox who started the trend for 3s have let Westbrook do what he does best....attack the basket, take midrange shots, and eschew the 3s.  They are a different team once that has taken place.

You cannot win in the modern game without the ability to hit 3s. However if you don’t have someone to complement that and continuously attack the basket your offense will become stagnant and over reliant on one aspect.

Luka should take a look at how Russ adapted. His 3-pt% (32%) in 9 attempts per game are far from good. Maybe drive a little more, with his passing ability, and the ability to draw fouls. Or at least practice your difficult shots, don't practice catch and shoot 3's if you're only taking long step backs.
Like Reply
My rough analysis is that teams that can't hit 3s will likely lose to the Mavs most nights. Teams that do his 3s still can lose because Mavs like shootouts. I think it energizes our guys. The problem the Mavs have is with teams that can shoot 3s AND play good defense. These teams give the Mavs fits on both ends and it's hard for the Mavs to win those games. In the playoffs the Mavs will probably play teams that can do both. I wouldn't mind a team like the Lakers who doesn't always shoot 3s consistently. I haven't checked their stats recently but I think there's an opportunity there.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:24 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Luka goes to the basket as well as anyone. curry also goes toward the basket effectively

Luka is a high volume mediocre 3pt shooter. So the comparison to what Westbrook is doing doesn’t hold water.  When push comes to shove, Luka’s go to move is a step back 3 which is his worst shot.  

I would like to see about 10 games where RC asks Luka to completely give up the 3 and just focus on assists, mid range pull up shots, and drives to the baskets.
Like Reply
Next summer Mavs have to get some defensive minded wings in here. We need guys with a higher ceiling than guys like Jackson who just aren't going to ever be that good defensively.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:09 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: However if you don’t have someone to complement that and continuously attack the basket your offense will become stagnant and over reliant on one aspect.

Luka has 18,7 drives per game, he is 5th in the league. Much worse shooters have less drives. Westbrook abandoned his 3 pointers because he is shooting 25 % from three! Houston also had to trade the other non three point shooter (Capella) in order to unleash Westbrook. It is yet to be seen how this will work in the play-offs. 

While I can agree there are games where he could shoot a couple of threes less, you are wrong in saying that step back three is his go to move in the clutch and that he should abandon the 3 point shot entirely. He is 21 years old, posting historic numbers and has all the freedom to develop himself in a complete player. Rather than demanding from him to abandon 3 point shot I want him to improve it. He is not 29 with seasons of proof he can't shoot it. His body is still developing and I am sure his shot will improve. Besides, taking difficult step backs is part of what enables him to drive. He needs defenders to be near him to beat them. He will have problems beating them if they just take two steps away from him. 

(03-01-2020, 10:33 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Or at least practice your difficult shots, don't practice catch and shoot 3's if you're only taking long step backs.

Yeah, because Luka is not notorious for practicing all kind of difficult shots...
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 11:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Yeah, because Luka is not notorious for practicing all kind of difficult shots...

I mean... maybe it's just me but it seems like Luka isn't comfortable at all taking catch an shoot 3's.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:56 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Next summer Mavs have to get some defensive minded wings in here. We need guys with a higher ceiling than guys like Jackson who just aren't going to ever be that good defensively.

I don't think the Mavs could get any more 1 track defensive minded players in here.

What we needed are consistent 2 way players. If we could get someone who plays DFS position that can give us at least 10 points a night this team would be radically transformed. Mavs are 20-9 when DFS scores in double digits.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 11:50 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 10:09 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: However if you don’t have someone to complement that and continuously attack the basket your offense will become stagnant and over reliant on one aspect.

Luka has 18,7 drives per game, he is 5th in the league. Much worse shooters have less drives. Westbrook abandoned his 3 pointers because he is shooting 25 % from three! Houston also had to trade the other non three point shooter (Capella) in order to unleash Westbrook. It is yet to be seen how this will work in the play-offs. 

While I can agree there are games where he could shoot a couple of threes less, you are wrong in saying that step back three is his go to move in the clutch and that he should abandon the 3 point shot entirely. He is 21 years old, posting historic numbers and has all the freedom to develop himself in a complete player. Rather than demanding from him to abandon 3 point shot I want him to improve it. He is not 29 with seasons of proof he can't shoot it. His body is still developing and I am sure his shot will improve. Besides, taking difficult step backs is part of what enables him to drive. He needs defenders to be near him to beat them. He will have problems beating them if they just take two steps away from him. 

(03-01-2020, 10:33 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Or at least practice your difficult shots, don't practice catch and shoot 3's if you're only taking long step backs.

Yeah, because Luka is not notorious for practicing all kind of difficult shots...

I would like to see the breakdown of drives in the last 5 mins of close games because it seems like our offense gets stagnant. 

I don’t want Luka to give up the 3. He is actually a good shooter. What he should give up is the step back 3 which is a very difficult shot and he is shooting it poorly. But if he can’t give that up, I would rather he go cold turkey from the 3 pt line. 

As for Luka’s age and what he is doing, I am not blind or stupid. But certain bad habits have to be at least criticized and pointed out.  Age cannot be an excuse when people are also complimenting him for his high basketball IQ.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 01:08 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: I don’t want Luka to give up the 3. He is actually a good shooter. What he should give up is the step back 3 which is a very difficult shot and he is shooting it poorly. But if he can’t give that up, I would rather he go cold turkey from the 3 pt line.
Good points. 

I am not sure whether Luka is a mediocre 3-point shooter, or whether he doesn't have a great percentage because he takes such difficult threes. Granted, he is the usual bailout option when he is on the floor, and when he gets the ball late in the shot clock, he has to take whatever he gets. However, he takes a number of difficult threes when he has time to work for a better shot, for himself or someone else. 

Luka has said before that he knows he needs to work on his shot selection. I don't look for the Mavs to prohibit him from taking threes. They tried that with Shawn Marion, discouraging him from shooting from long range. Carlisle later said that the decision was a mistake, and that they should not take away the essence of who a good player really is. But Luka could certainly work on not trying to do too much, especially as he has the luxury of great shooters around him.
Like Reply
I've never agreed more with @"omahen" . The Luka drive to the basket has been the linchpin of the Mavs offense all season. There are times late in the game where I'd prefer Luka to avoid the step back, but recognize that his step back is an important part of his game which he uses to keep defenders honest and set up his drive.

@"hakeemfan" , I know you dislike that shot, but I don't think it's going anywhere. Though I am with you on Luka making sure he's not using it as a crutch late in games.

Also, I have no doubt that Luka and his coach dialogue about all this.

A good analogy I think: Luka's drive and step-back are like two parts of a read-option. I know we want his 3p% to be higher, but his pps and ts% are great, in part because he does things to set up his drive, which is the most lethal part of his game, whether it ends in a shot or a pass.
Like Reply