Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Kings 111
(02-14-2020, 01:57 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 10:49 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: "With Dwight Powell’s Achilles rupture in January, Porzingis is now turning into more of a pick-and-roll screen setter than he was used before his injury. Before Powell’s injury, he was setting about 15 picks per 36 minutes for Doncic while Porzingis was down around seven per 36 minutes, according to Second Spectrum data. Since then, Porzingis has actually topped Powell’s peak: He’s setting about 16 picks for Doncic per 36 minutes, while Maxi Kleber has gone from about eight per 36 minutes to 14. (Before Powell’s injury, Kleber was actually setting more picks per 36 minutes for Doncic than even Porzingis.)"

So how do we get rid of Powell?

I'm not sure you do.  No decision needs to be made until Summer of 21 at the earliest.  You can see what you have post-injury in the 20/21 season.  Who's to say he can't still be an effective bench contributor (like the two seasons prior to this one).  If you get to July 21 and IF he's not worth keeping and IF his salary interferes with something you wish to do, you stretch waive him for a little over $4m per year.  No need to hurry the process.
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 08:59 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Getting this Luka + KP thing going is the most important priority for the rest of the season, and it's not even particularly close.
It's huge. Very exciting to see that duo clicking!
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 10:01 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I don't know if we acknowledge it enough, but Seth is a damn good ball handler. We get excited about his 3pt accuracy (and we should!) but he's making passes in traffic that are top notch and would make any team better. The one along the baseline to THJ for a 3pter will be in my mind as a great display of basketball acumen, passing skills and commitment to teamwork.
It seems as though the Mavs have finally figured out how to get Seth some good shots. For a while there, they were having a hard time even getting the ball to him. I believe Rick commented on it. Now, he has a little space, and he can shine.
Like Reply
(02-14-2020, 07:16 AM)michaeltex Wrote: In the last few games, at least since Luka's injury, KP seems to be more comfortable using his movement skills and reacting to who he's matched with, driving on bigs and shooting over smalls. Early in the season he seemed more of a spot up shooter, possibly as a reaction to the knee injury. That left a lot of PnR activity to Powell and Kleber. As noted above that's different now and I think the freedom to operate with Luka out has unlocked his game. 

I'm hopeful the "unicorn" we thought we were getting finally arrives. If KP has more gravity, then that makes Luka's job even easier. That's got to give oppo coaches heartburn. Especially if you can count on THJ/Seth to chip in a combined 25-35 ppg.

Buckle up and get you popcorn ready, the last 1/4 season could be fun.
Great points! This could be an exciting 27-game stretch!
Like Reply
(02-19-2020, 01:27 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:  Great points! This could be an exciting 27-game stretch!

60 wins is still possible  Cool
Like Reply