Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We love our boys in blue!
(02-06-2020, 05:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:25 PM)omahen Wrote: All 2018/2019. Doesn't change the fact 2019/2020 was bad year

here's where I just agree to disagree, even thought I don't like that phrase

I can't speak for Omahen, but what's frustrating to me is that I'm baffled that someone who cares as much about the Mavs as you do and is as astute in his fandom as you are doesn't see how poor the 2019-20 front office decisions and/or execution has been since the KP trade. I get upset about it because you're worthwhile enough as a poster and fan that your opinion matters, and it's like an itch that can't be scratched when it's an opinion that doesn't seem to fit with the realities before us.
I can’t speak for Fif but man do you sound patronizing. Also, your opinion is not reality, it’s just your opinion. Other posters agree with Fif. Doesn’t make anyone less of a fan.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I can't speak for Omahen, but what's frustrating to me is that I'm baffled that someone who cares as much about the Mavs as you do and is as astute in his fandom as you are doesn't see how poor the 2019-20 front office decisions and/or execution has been since the KP trade. I get upset about it because you're worthwhile enough as a poster and fan that your opinion matters, and it's like an itch that can't be scratched when it's an opinion that doesn't seem to fit with the realities before us.

The way you phrase it is, "doesn't see how poor the 2019-20 front office decisions and/or execution has been since the KP trade".

The way I phrase it is that "you and I disagree that the front office decisions and execution have been poor."

Do you see the difference? We disagree. Even if you and I both had Jerry West level basketball brains it's still possible that we could come to different conclusions. IQ doesn't necessarily equate to agreement. 

I've already described in detail what I thought about the offseason (in the past, and it wasn't all roses) and today I've written way too much about what i think about the trade deadline. So it's not like I haven't explained what I think and why I think it. 

If you don't agree, no biggie.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:36 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:30 PM)fifteenth Wrote: man, what a breath of fresh air

I wonder, do your bosses, customers or whoever you work with in your professional life have such low expecations from you?

To boss: I plan to do my work by tomorrow. In reality you do it a week later, not deliver on schedule and you get away with - I did try my best, really did.

Real world work and running a sports team, especially a basketball team where one player can make such a huge difference are two totally different things. 

If you look at it from Cuban’s perspective, Donnie built different teams that went to 2 Finals, had pushed for Giannis, and won a title. Then just when fans were losing patience we added 2 studs.  I doubt the boss is unhappy with Donnie 

The lack of Plan B might well be on Cuban too Maybe he was fine giving that money to Kemba but didn’t want to go overboard on others, and the GM was left in a difficult spot as other teams were not operating under the same mandate. You think if Cuban gives the green light, Donnie would be the one holding him back?  

I have not always agreed with their asset management in the past, but given that we do have two young studs now, a little bit more patience is in order.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status/122...95784?s=20
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I wonder if Knicks fans would complain if they got Luka in a trade for trash and 2 high 1sts but their team didn't hit a home run in the off-season and didn't make a trade at the TDL for role players...

They would give their firstborn IMO to be us right now...

Failure of others doesn't make my failure smaller. This is losers talk. I want to compare with the best - Riley for example, who absolutely killed 2019/20 and transformed Miami from destined for total rebuild to borderline contender without even a single tanking year. I don't want to compare myself with Dolans of the world.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:17 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I wonder if Knicks fans would complain if they got Luka in a trade for trash and 2 high 1sts but their team didn't hit a home run in the off-season and didn't make a trade at the TDL for role players...

They would give their firstborn IMO to be us right now...

Failure of others doesn't make my failure smaller. This is losers talk. I want to compare with the best - Riley for example, who absolutely killed 2019/20 and transformed Miami from destined for total rebuild to borderline contender without even a single tanking year. I don't want to compare myself with Dolans of the world.

Theyve done a good job but I'd rather have our roster
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:25 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Luka and KP actually create flexibility in the sense that there should be players wanting to come here because of Luka and KP.

All 2018/2019. Doesn't change the fact 2019/2020 was bad year
The Mavs re-signed KP in July. That wasn't a given. Most teams would consider that a major positive move in the 2019-2020 season.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:37 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Luka and KP actually create flexibility in the sense that there should be players wanting to come here because of Luka and KP.

The Mavs re-signed KP in July. That wasn't a given. Most teams would consider that a major positive move in the 2019-2020 season.
But they had me convinced we failed miserably in FA...being able to sign a player who didn't want to be here months before was a massive failure...yep this season was horrible for our FO...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:37 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: That wasn't a given.

Of course it was. No player with KP injury history would be stupid enough to risk 150 million payment by taking the qualifing offer.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:44 PM)omahen Wrote:

Of course it was. No player with KP injury history would be stupid enough to risk 150 million payment by taking the qualifing offer.

Correct no RFA has ever passed a max offer
Like Reply

That wouldn't have been his only option. He could have gotten an offer sheet. It's never a given that a RFA is going to sign with his original team. If he makes it clear he wants out, as a practical (rather than contractual) matter, he can force it. Or he could have pursued a sign-and-trade, if that was available. The point is, the Mavs made him want to sign here as an enthusiastic player, and they got the deal done. That was an important 2019-2020 move. If you think KP is a bust, then you could disagree about whether it was a good move. But saying it was nothing just doesn't accord with reality.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

That wouldn't have been his only option. He could have gotten an offer sheet. It's never a given that a RFA is going to sign with his original team. If he makes it clear he wants out, as a practical (rather than contractual) matter, he can force it. Or he could have pursued a sign-and-trade, if that was available. The point is, the Mavs made him want to sign here as an enthusiastic player, and they got the deal done. That was an important 2019-2020 move. If you think KP is a bust, then you could disagree about whether it was a good move. But saying it was nothing just doesn't accord with reality.

It's not his only option. Sure he can sign an offer sheet for a much smaller number, guessing 10 mil or less like Noel did and give up 150 million dollars guaranteed but it's only theoretical at this point bc no RFA has ever refused a max offer. If the Knicks had kept him, KP might have been the first just because he hated his situation so much.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 07:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

It's not his only option. Sure he can sign an offer sheet for a much smaller number, guessing 10 mil or less like Noel did and give up 150 million dollars guaranteed but it's only theoretical at this point bc no RFA has ever refused a max offer. If the Knicks had kept him, KP might have been the first just because he hated his situation so much.
I can't say I've researched that, but something can always happen for the first time. If you think the FO should get no credit for re-signing KP, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Cool beans.
Like Reply
It happened with Noel, wasn't a max offer, but it was a higher offer than anyone else was gonna give him.
Like Reply
Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?
Like Reply

Aside from the "yes it was a given" argument, many - not me - have questioned whether KP is going to be worth that contract long-term given his health and purported on-court limitations. Once again, I don't agree. But to some, retaining KP at the max was not a good move. As far as his "option to leave by signing an offer sheet," nah, that would have been his option to play for the Mavs for less money, as there's no conceivable offer sheet we wouldn't have matched given that we gave him the max. Would have been nice of him to do that, but I am glad he's a Mav regardless - assuming RC figures out how to make Luka and KP work together.

(02-06-2020, 10:35 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

This is something TMOGE or VP would post. I love it, because it's something I would post if I were like those guys. But no, we're not tanking.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:05 PM)Cark Muban Wrote: https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status/122...95784?s=20

Mavs were 17-7 on December 12th.

Since, they are 14-13. Injuries suck.

Also welcome back Definitely not Mark Cuban!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 10:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:05 PM)Cark Muban Wrote: https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status/122...95784?s=20

It's good to see the statistics laid out. Lots of people grousing about the team when Luka has either been out or playing hurt (imho) since the original injury, and the Mavs are certainly better with KP regardless of record.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 10:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:05 PM)Cark Muban Wrote: https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status/122...95784?s=20

Hopefully can get some health to go our way 
Doing a quick scan, I think we'll be favored in 27 of our remaining 31 games.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Aside from the "yes it was a given" argument, many - not me - have questioned whether KP is going to be worth that contract long-term given his health and purported on-court limitations. Once again, I don't agree. But to some, retaining KP at the max was not a good move. As far as his "option to leave by signing an offer sheet," nah, that would have been his option to play for the Mavs for less money, as there's no conceivable offer sheet we wouldn't have matched given that we gave him the max. Would have been nice of him to do that, but I am glad he's a Mav regardless - assuming RC figures out how to make Luka and KP work together.

(02-06-2020, 10:35 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

This is something TMOGE or VP would post. I love it, because it's something I would post if I were like those guys. But no, we're not tanking.

All jokes aside, would that not objectively be the best move? If we don’t want to go all in and contend, we should tank so we have a higher chance of winning next year and beyond. Getting a better pick could be the difference between a trade for a star or not.
Like Reply