Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We love our boys in blue!
So frustrated with no trade at the TDL.
Like Reply
I'll say it...

I miss Harrison Barnes!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fharrison-barnes-trade-mavericks-mid-game-2019-2&psig=AOvVaw3_azCe2y4wBZ57AmgJ6787&ust=1581105824162000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNCL9KncvecCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

https://i.insider.com/5c5c3d1b0d15f51d1a...?width=320&format=jpeg
Like Reply
Barnes might have adapted his offensive game but I could never get over the rebounding. I am not sure who would sit from the starting lineup if you had Barnes on this roster (including now injured Powell). DoDo is a better fit. You would have probably sat him and Barnes would have been an expensive 3D player.
Like Reply
No worries guys, I'm sure we almost landed LeBron or Giannis. Just didn't work out, but we were close. We love our boys in blue!
Like Reply
LOL, Mavs suck because they made no trades, and we miss the guy we traded last year, all at the same time. Priceless.
Like Reply
Cant say I'm missing Barnes
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 03:35 PM)fifteenth Wrote: LOL, Mavs suck because they made no trades, and we miss the guy we traded last year, all at the same time. Priceless.

Nice try, the replacement to Barnes was Justin Jackson. We wasted the TPE from the Barnes trade so idk what you tryna say. This is on the Mavs and being pissed at them for mishandling this it fully justified. If I had known they wouldn't use the TPE, I wouldn't have wanted to trade Barnes.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 03:35 PM)fifteenth Wrote: LOL, Mavs suck because they made no trades, and we miss the guy we traded last year, all at the same time. Priceless.

Exactly. The way it turned out, trading Barnes was probably a mistake as he is definitely a better player than JJ, plus we would probably be able to bring all three guys (Curry, Wright, Boban) using a little creativity. Barnes would be a nice expiring this year that Mavs would not be able to trade. Or he wouldn't take his option and signed with Kings. No one would be really sad we didn't get JJ. We would have 4 mil of cap space more that we couldn't spend.

Out of our coveted free agent signings:
- Seth is ok. Fair value for his shooting. But unfortunately he is nothing more than bench shooter
- Wright is a minor fail. He was paid and brought to be a starter next to Luka and he couldn't deliver. Now he is basically just taking Brunsons minutes, who is a much better PG but a bit worse defender. Third string PG could be someone much cheaper
- Bobi is a fail. I just don't understand why they brought him if they don't intend to use him. 4 mil  is just too much, should be vet min deal for the role they gave him

We have 10-12 players under contract for next season. Add 2 rookies, Reeves and MLE and we have full roster. I have no idea how they will share the minutes.

I am actually affraid Mavs will hire someone like MKG now. If he will be halfway decent, he will get a decent 4 year contract.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 03:46 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Nice try, the replacement to Barnes was Justin Jackson. We wasted the TPE from the Barnes trade so idk what you tryna say. This is on the Mavs and being pissed at them for mishandling this it fully justified. If I had known they wouldn't use the TPE, I wouldn't have wanted to trade Barnes.

We traded Barnes to get off his salary and to clean house. We accomplished that. No one ever thought that Jackson was Barnes' equal on the court. Regarding Jackson, he's not done. He still has room to grow, seems coach-able and could still be part of deals this summer. The TPE provided ammunition to deal. The fact that a deal didn't materialize doesn't mean that gathering ammunition was a bad idea. You don't make a bad deal just to make a deal just so you can say you used the TPE. No one gets to look into the future in order to aid their decisions in the present. 

And anyway, why would a Pels fan care?
Like Reply
Jackson is playing way too much PF 
Hopefully we give WCS enough minutes to remedy that
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 03:58 PM)omahen Wrote: Exactly. The way it turned out, trading Barnes was probably a mistake as he is definitely a better player than JJ, plus we would probably be able to bring all three guys (Curry, Wright, Boban) using a little creativity. B

You don't get to live life that way. You can't peer into the future and find out whether a trade is worth it down the road. 

But the Barnes trade was more about getting off his salary, cleaning house and gathering ammunition. They did that. Barnes didn't have a role here going forward, especially at his price tag. The win now vets, who couldn't win anyway, had to go to make room for building a team around Luka and KP. No regrets, would do it again. And I was actually one of the few who didn't think Barnes was awful.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:07 PM)fifteenth Wrote: You don't get to live life that way. You can't peer into the future and find out whether a trade is worth it down the road.

But it does work exactly that way. These guys in FO are paid huge money to take the right decisions and maximize value.

While trading Barnes might have been the right decision, failure to capitalize on that was a failure which puts a question mark on whether the decision was correct in the first place.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:18 PM)omahen Wrote: But it does work exactly that way. These guys in FO are paid huge money to take the right decisions and maximize value.

"You don't get to live life this way" means you can't make your decisions by looking into the future first. Trading HB was the right decision. The fact that a trade didn't come together doesn't mean they should not have gathered ammo. 

But, you're right in the sense that they're paid for results. And they've done a pretty good job with the rebuild so far.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:18 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:07 PM)fifteenth Wrote: You don't get to live life that way. You can't peer into the future and find out whether a trade is worth it down the road.

But it does work exactly that way. These guys in FO are paid huge money to take the right decisions and maximize value.

While trading Barnes might have been the right decision, failure to capitalize on that was a failure which puts a question mark on whether the decision was correct in the first place.

We did go after Kemba. If that had worked out it would be a different story. Just because they could not close the deal you cannot say the plan was bad.  If they had made absolutely no attempt to do anything with that money, then yes one can blame them. One can also blame them for not having a good plan B when Kemba spurned them. But the HB trade itself would have looked great if Kemba took the offer they gave him.
Like Reply
It is indeed last summer's free agency that directly makes this TDL a fail, and vice versa. The Mavs married the two intimately when they chose to keep money for a TPE instead of finishing the roster. And it objectively wasn't finished. That made the free agency an incomplete - perhaps the woeful failure could be rectified by virtue of getting something of value for the TPE. When they failed to do that with the deadline today, it turns the incomplete of the summer into an official F. It would be an F-- if not for the bargain contracts for Dodo and Maxi and the okay contracts for Curry and Wright. Yay, that makes us better than the Knicks were last summer. Still, we're on a pretty cataclysmic losing streak front office-wise since the KP acquisition. Thing is, when you draft Luka and trade successfully for KP, you give yourself a lot of rope with your fanbase. 

As for missing Barnes, nah, he needed to be out of here, but if they weren't going to use the cap room they generated on starters, they would have been better off trading him for a player with salary who would have actually played in the starting lineup. Instead, we lost a starter in the Barnes deal, promoted a bencher, and didn't use any of the Barnes cap room for starters. Not a penny.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:21 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:18 PM)omahen Wrote: But it does work exactly that way. These guys in FO are paid huge money to take the right decisions and maximize value.

"You don't get to live life this way" means you can't make your decisions by looking into the future first. Trading HB was the right decision. The fact that a trade didn't come together doesn't mean they should not have gathered ammo. 

But, you're right in the sense that they're paid for results. And they've done a pretty good job with the rebuild so far.
Trading Barnes was absolutely the right decision. Sometimes it's better to make no moves than bad moves that ruin future plans. Right now these guys are gelling together and building something. 1 bad trade could trash the salary cap and ruin future flexibility. What you don't want is to trade for a guy like Wiggins to say you did something then you find out Giannis wants to go to Dallas but you can't make it work. I haven't seen a move yet that would have moved the needle for Dallas in any way outside of Covington. And he's just a role player. So, I would have stayed put as well.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:21 PM)fifteenth Wrote: means you can't make your decisions by looking into the future first

It means exactly that, it is called long term planning. They traded Barnes to create cap space for more assets. They failed doing that. 
(02-06-2020, 04:21 PM)fifteenth Wrote: But, you're right in the sense that they're paid for results. And they've done a pretty good job with the rebuild so far.

I agree, so far. However, without considerable assets, all growth will depend on development of existing guys. Will Luka jump to 35, 12, 12 next season. Will Maxi and DFS improve their personal best shooting numbers further on? But, what if they regress? As with Kemba, they basically only have plan A and hope for the best. 

Of course we don't know shit and they know they will sign Giannis in 2021, when all of us will shut up forever.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:25 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: We did go after Kemba. If that had worked out it would be a different story. Just because they could not close the deal you cannot say the plan was bad.  If they had made absolutely no attempt to do anything with that money, then yes one can blame them.

man, what a breath of fresh air
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:25 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: We did go after Kemba. If that had worked out it would be a different story. Just because they could not close the deal you cannot say the plan was bad.  If they had made absolutely no attempt to do anything with that money, then yes one can blame them. One can also blame them for not having a good plan B when Kemba spurned them. But the HB trade itself would have looked great if Kemba took the offer they gave him.

Plan was excellent, execution wasn't.

I agree it would look great with Kemba. But he didn't sign and plan B (if Wright, Curry and Bobi were it) was way worse. Waiting for Green was pathetic. Again, they are paid to succeed, not to almost succeed.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:29 PM)omahen Wrote: It means exactly that, it is called long term planning. They traded Barnes to create cap space for more assets. They failed doing that. 

That's not the only reason they traded Barnes. I've already answered the rest of this but you don't get it.

(02-06-2020, 04:29 PM)omahen Wrote: all growth will depend on development of existing guys

You want to go on record to say that the Mavs have no ability to make moves going forward?

(02-06-2020, 04:32 PM)omahen Wrote: Waiting for Green was pathetic.

Hyperbole. 

You didn't like. I didn't like it either. But it fit their plan.
Like Reply