Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We love our boys in blue!
(02-06-2020, 10:47 PM)Baller AI Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:37 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:25 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Luka and KP actually create flexibility in the sense that there should be players wanting to come here because of Luka and KP.

All 2018/2019. Doesn't change the fact 2019/2020 was bad year
The Mavs re-signed KP in July. That wasn't a given. Most teams would consider that a major positive move in the 2019-2020 season.

Aside from the "yes it was a given" argument, many - not me - have questioned whether KP is going to be worth that contract long-term given his health and purported on-court limitations. Once again, I don't agree. But to some, retaining KP at the max was not a good move. As far as his "option to leave by signing an offer sheet," nah, that would have been his option to play for the Mavs for less money, as there's no conceivable offer sheet we wouldn't have matched given that we gave him the max. Would have been nice of him to do that, but I am glad he's a Mav regardless - assuming RC figures out how to make Luka and KP work together.

(02-06-2020, 10:35 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

This is something TMOGE or VP would post. I love it, because it's something I would post if I were like those guys. But no, we're not tanking.

All jokes aside, would that not objectively be the best move? If we don’t want to go all in and contend, we should tank so we have a higher chance of winning next year and beyond. Getting a better pick could be the difference between a trade for a star or not.

If they continue to give Justin meaningful minutes instead of finding someone better in the buyout market, then that's arguably "tanking" of sorts, but we'll almost certainly still make the playoffs depending on Luka's health.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 10:52 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:47 PM)Baller AI Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:37 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:25 PM)omahen Wrote: All 2018/2019. Doesn't change the fact 2019/2020 was bad year
The Mavs re-signed KP in July. That wasn't a given. Most teams would consider that a major positive move in the 2019-2020 season.

Aside from the "yes it was a given" argument, many - not me - have questioned whether KP is going to be worth that contract long-term given his health and purported on-court limitations. Once again, I don't agree. But to some, retaining KP at the max was not a good move. As far as his "option to leave by signing an offer sheet," nah, that would have been his option to play for the Mavs for less money, as there's no conceivable offer sheet we wouldn't have matched given that we gave him the max. Would have been nice of him to do that, but I am glad he's a Mav regardless - assuming RC figures out how to make Luka and KP work together.

(02-06-2020, 10:35 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

This is something TMOGE or VP would post. I love it, because it's something I would post if I were like those guys. But no, we're not tanking.

All jokes aside, would that not objectively be the best move? If we don’t want to go all in and contend, we should tank so we have a higher chance of winning next year and beyond. Getting a better pick could be the difference between a trade for a star or not.

If they continue to give Justin meaningful minutes instead of finding someone better in the buyout market, then that's arguably "tanking" of sorts, but we'll almost certainly still make the playoffs depending on Luka's health.

Yea I think the best case scenario would be make the 8th seed so our young team can get playoff experience, while also giving us better odds in the draft.
Like Reply
Even if this isn’t the year, the Mavs really should have done something so as not to waste the Lee expiring or the exception. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the NBA’s cap rules can explain that there is still some way to use those assets now that the trade deadline has passed, but if not, then we have a problem. Now that Powell is pretty much done, the Mavs will have to scramble during the offseason, without much ammo, just to get back to where they during the first half of this season. Once Luka is through his rookie deal, he’ll only play for the team that gives him the best chance to win. I hope the Mavs are up to that task. They have a long ways to go and a short time to get there.
Like Reply
I haven't loved our boys in blue like this in a while...

Seriously, some of you guys need to look at the bigger picture: our championship window has only recently been opened, and we're still in the process of figuring out how to use our two main guys. It sure would've been nice to upgrade the roster with Lee's expiring contract and the now infamous GSW 2nd-rounder, but I reckon you've noticed what it took to get players like Iggy or Covington...

We'll make the playoffs, and, depending on the match-up, might even advance to the second round. Which is way better, than most people predicted in the off-season. So, let's be patient for once, and preserve the great team chemistry.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:29 PM)Davevoid Wrote: I haven't loved our boys in blue like this in a while...

Seriously, some of you guys need to look at the bigger picture: our championship window has only recently been opened, and we're still in the process of figuring out how to use our two main guys. It sure would've been nice to upgrade the roster with Lee's expiring contract and the now infamous GSW 2nd-rounder, but I reckon you've noticed what it took to get players like Iggy or Covington...

We'll make the playoffs, and, depending on the match-up, might even advance to the second round. Which is way better, than most people predicted in the off-season. So, let's be patient for once, and preserve the great team chemistry.

Our 8-man rotation consists of 5 guards, a wing, and two bigs. Talk like this feels like... wait for it...
Like Reply
Yeah? I'm waitin'...
Like Reply
I mean we've stood pat to this point, not sure why we would get someone their team doesn't want enough. I'm inclined to just ride this group out at this point. Don't rock the boat now.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:41 PM)Davevoid Wrote: Yeah? I'm waitin'...

Since the last time I used the term that fits engendered a long discourse about how offensive it was to misuse that term, then let's just say... a snowjob.

(02-07-2020, 04:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I mean we've stood pat to this point, not sure why we would get someone their team doesn't want enough. I'm inclined to just ride this group out at this point. Don't rock the boat now.

Nah, I want someone in the buyout market. Hell, if they don't trust WCS in the playoff rotation, bring back our friend the Mej. He would play more than Bobi, I would assume. I hope they kick tires on Mirotic, although it would probably cost more to buy him out than his contract would be this summer to make good on his coming in for the minimum...
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Since the last time I used the term that fits engendered a long discourse about how offensive it was to misuse that term, then let's just say... a snowjob.

Huh?! Never heard that expression before, I'm sorry.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 05:21 PM)Davevoid Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Huh?! Never heard that expression before, I'm sorry.

A concerted effort to paint a false image of the reality of things in order to defraud or otherwise deceive somebody.

To clarify, with that colossally unbalanced of a rotation, I personally find it hard to accept any sort of narrative that the Mavs are at all serious about doing the best they can for the rest of the year and the playoffs. No significant buyout addition, to me = 100% chance of a first round exit. This summer is, in a sense, a bigger deal. If the Mavs have the opportunity to add a third- or fourth-best contender player this summer and don't do so due to 2021, then they're sandbagging a full additional year of Luka's rookie contract for arguably no reason. History has shown - stars want to go where there's a team for them to go to. Not a stripped-down roster. And max players get more money out of SnT's than outright FA maxes with a new team, so it's better to have assets than cap room.
Like Reply
Uhm, ok...

I still don't get your impatience. None of the players who were traded yesterday would've moved the needle for the Mavs, which is fine regarding how bad we've been those last years. You can't just go from winning 25 games to being a contender in the span of an off-season.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 07:01 PM)Davevoid Wrote: Uhm, ok...

I still don't get your impatience. None of the players who were traded yesterday would've moved the needle for the Mavs, which is fine regarding how bad we've been those last years. You can't just go from winning 25 games to being a contender in the span of an off-season.

Did you expect Luka to improve as much as he did this past offseason? The league (free agents) and the Mavs definitely didn't expect it. I'd say we're in an historically unique situation.

I think Gordon would have put us close to contention if we could have pried him away, but that wasn't realistic now with the Isaac injury and the Magic's own playoff push. And I didn't expect *contention* in this year's playoffs, but I did expect *seriousness* in this year's playoffs. A 5-1-2 rotation indicates a lack of seriousness about the playoffs. Moreover, I see it as absolutely necessary that Wright or Brunson is gone prior to next year's training camp (for a good return of course). They're cannibalizing each other's minutes and roles, and I prefer Curry (who jostles against both) to either of them.

I think that if the Mavs don't field a team to which they have added a 3rd-or-4th-best-guy-on-a-contending-team player next year, then they're punting again, at which point it's hard to see how Luka doesn't start to get ***quite*** antsy.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 05:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: To clarify, with that colossally unbalanced of a rotation, I personally find it hard to accept any sort of narrative that the Mavs are at all serious about doing the best they can for the rest of the year and the playoffs. No significant buyout addition, to me = 100% chance of a first round exit. This summer is, in a sense, a bigger deal. If the Mavs have the opportunity to add a third- or fourth-best contender player this summer and don't do so due to 2021, then they're sandbagging a full additional year of Luka's rookie contract for arguably no reason. History has shown - stars want to go where there's a team for them to go to. Not a stripped-down roster. And max players get more money out of SnT's than outright FA maxes with a new team, so it's better to have assets than cap room.
I think we understand your arguments, whether we agree with them or not. 

Respectfully, it's just puzzling how overwrought you seem over these points, considering the big picture. 

I wouldn't object to their acquiring a bought-out player. But a first-round playoff exit is probable, whether they do or don't. There is no known buyout candidate that lifts this team to title contention this season, or even moves the needle significantly as far as winning or losing a series. If the Mavericks screw up the offseason, that will be bad, but why is it time to jump off a bridge over that possibility now?

I want to treat you and everyone else with respect and make an honest effort to understand your views. I get that you don't like some of the FO's decisions/possible decisions, and that you have some reasons. But some of them seem relatively inconsequential, and some are scenarios that may well never happen. I don't get this level of anguish over those items. 

Maybe hyperbolizing is your style, and you're really not as distressed as you come across. Like, maybe you're having some fan-style fun of overreacting a little. I would understand that. I hope it's that. I sometimes worry you might like, have an apoplexy or something, and none of this is worth that. Take care, Scott.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 07:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Even if this isn’t the year, the Mavs really should have done something so as not to waste the Lee expiring or the exception.  Maybe someone with more knowledge of the NBA’s cap rules can explain that there is still some way to use those assets now that the trade deadline has passed, but if not, then we have a problem.  Now that Powell is pretty much done, the Mavs will have to scramble during the offseason, without much ammo, just to get back to where they during the first half of this season. Once Luka is through his rookie deal, he’ll only play for the team that gives him the best chance to win.  I hope the Mavs are up to that task.  They have a long ways to go and a short time to get there.

you hit the nail on the head, literally what I’ve been trying to say. Not sure why people defend them for it, when there is literally no positive to not using the TPE or trading the expiring. There are ONLY negatives

Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 07:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: To clarify, with that colossally unbalanced of a rotation, I personally find it hard to accept any sort of narrative that the Mavs are at all serious about doing the best they can for the rest of the year and the playoffs. No significant buyout addition, to me = 100% chance of a first round exit. This summer is, in a sense, a bigger deal. If the Mavs have the opportunity to add a third- or fourth-best contender player this summer and don't do so due to 2021, then they're sandbagging a full additional year of Luka's rookie contract for arguably no reason. History has shown - stars want to go where there's a team for them to go to. Not a stripped-down roster. And max players get more money out of SnT's than outright FA maxes with a new team, so it's better to have assets than cap room.

Respectfully, it's just puzzling how overwrought you seem over these points, considering the big picture. 

I wouldn't object to their acquiring a bought-out player. But a first-round playoff exit is probable, whether they do or don't. There is no known buyout candidate that lifts this team to title contention this season, or even moves the needle significantly as far as winning or losing a series. If the Mavericks screw up the offseason, that will be bad, but why is it time to jump off a bridge over that possibility now?

I want to treat you and everyone else with respect and make an honest effort to understand your views. I get that you don't like some of the FO's decisions/possible decisions, and that you have some reasons. But some of them seem relatively inconsequential, and some are scenarios that may well never happen. I don't get this level of anguish over those items. 

Maybe hyperbolizing is your style, and you're really not as distressed as you come across. Like, maybe you're having some fan-style fun of overreacting a little. I would understand that. I hope it's that. I sometimes worry you might like, have an apoplexy or something, and none of this is worth that. Take care, Scott.

Your mindset is the mindset that is keeping us from becoming an elite FO. It is not wrong to criticize obvious mistakes that are keeping us from being a top tier front office. If you want to be the best, you can’t just ignore mistakes, especially preventable mistakes. Scott is 100% correct, we failed to be a serious playoff team this year, and thats the message we are sending to Luka and KP and the res of our talent. They will only tolerate it for so long. They aren’t obligated to take millions of dollars of paycuts and stick around for 21 years like Dirk did because hes extremely loyal (almost to a fault), if we won’t try as hard as they are to contend and win a ring. The Mavs basically said despite how hard you guys worked to achieve the BEST OFFENSE IN NBA HISTORY, we do not believe in you and won’t bring in a defender or two to try and win it all.

The reason many of us are very dissappointed is because despite the great trades last year and the solid off season, it seems the Mavs are back to their old ways and have not learned from the past.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 11:35 PM)Baller AI Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

Your mindset is the mindset that is keeping us from becoming an elite FO. It is not wrong to criticize obvious mistakes that are keeping us from being a top tier front office. If you want to be the best, you can’t just ignore mistakes, especially preventable mistakes. Scott is 100% correct, we failed to be a serious playoff team this year, and thats the message we are sending to Luka and KP and the res of our talent. They will only tolerate it for so long. They aren’t obligated to take millions of dollars of paycuts and stick around for 21 years like Dirk did because hes extremely loyal (almost to a fault), if we won’t try as hard as they are to contend and win a ring. The Mavs basically said despite how hard you guys worked to achieve the BEST OFFENSE IN NBA HISTORY, we do not believe in you and won’t bring in a defender or two to try and win it all.

The reason many of us are very dissappointed is because despite the great trades last year and the solid off season, it seems the Mavs are back to their old ways and have not learned from the past.

Well the opposite spin is: We believe in you guys, you are good enough to win a championship. We don´t need enforcement.

Ultimately, from all the executed trades, it comes down to Drummond. That was a perfect target. Short term upside, no interference with the logical long-term plan. Actually long term upside, cause you cash in Lee, Wright, Jackson to free up more capspace. All the other trades I don´t have any regrets. Except not taking on Iggy last summer and being the one cashing in two lottery picks for him.  #long-term planning

It´s okay to take such risk-free "risks". The Mavs had a window to take riskier bets, especially on that 2018 FA class and they refused. Now our margin for error is smaller than some people realize. We have four assets to get our championship roster set up: 17-20th pick and 31-33rd pick this year, 2020 MLE in a buyer market and 2021 (max money) free agency. From that we need an elite wing defender or two, a 2nd/3rd scoring option, a cheap back-up center. It´s not that easy.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 11:35 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Your mindset is the mindset that is keeping us from becoming an elite FO. It is not wrong to criticize obvious mistakes that are keeping us from being a top tier front office. If you want to be the best, you can’t just ignore mistakes, especially preventable mistakes. Scott is 100% correct, we failed to be a serious playoff team this year, and thats the message we are sending to Luka and KP and the res of our talent. They will only tolerate it for so long. They aren’t obligated to take millions of dollars of paycuts and stick around for 21 years like Dirk did because hes extremely loyal (almost to a fault), if we won’t try as hard as they are to contend and win a ring. The Mavs basically said despite how hard you guys worked to achieve the BEST OFFENSE IN NBA HISTORY, we do not believe in you and won’t bring in a defender or two to try and win it all.
Well, respectfully, I was talking to Scott. However, if you want to chime in again, I guess I can address it before I bow out of this discussion.

Of course, bringing up mistakes should be done. Observing the team and the front office is the main point of the board. Assessing their moves, both good and bad, is a great way to spend time and continue to learn about the sport and team. The quality and knowledge level of most of the posters is such that we can enjoy high-quality discourse on those subjects, above the level of the knee-jerking typical of more casual fans (with the possible exception of the game threads, lol).

What I am talking about is blanketing the board with dozens of posts along the lines of, "THE MAVS HAVE MADE MISTAKES IN THE PAST! THEY MIGHT MAKE MORE MISTAKES IN THE FUTURE! OMG!!! I WANTED THEM TO MAKE MOVES A-Z, AND THEY DIDN'T! THEY ARE THE WORST FO IN THE WORLD, AND THEY ARE INTENTIONALLY SABOTAGING THE TEAM! LUKA IS ABOUT TO LEAVE! I HAVE BEEN MAKING THESE SAME POINTS FOR MONTHS, AND NO ONE WILL LISTEN! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!"

Note that posts of this nature contain little to no analysis, and mostly consist of conclusory professions of doom, not supported by thoughtfully presented evidence. It's not really that they'e negative. They just seem very repetitive and honestly don't seem to add as much to the general knowledge as their frequent re-posting would suggest. I don't want to offend anyone, but frankly, the best analogy for it I can think of is a child's tantrum.

However, I don't want to throw cold water on anybody's good time. I know that sports fandom includes a segment of participants who like to have something to be in a hissy about, and it's not especially important to them whether the problems actually merit that much rage or not. I get it. 

So, if you like blowing off steam this way, far be it from me to get in your way. I guess every sports board has some Chicken Littles, and that is to be expected, and in some cases, even enjoyed. Okay, pal, I'm out. Peace. No offense intended. Carry on!
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 05:06 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Note that posts of this nature contain little to no analysis, and mostly consist of conclusory professions of doom

Agree, but same can be said for the other side of the medal. Despite a number of arguments presented on "our side" there are new and new takes how it is ok we didn't spend too much on reinforcements and that's why the work of FO is great. We never claimed it was bad they didn't bring in superstars.
Like Reply