Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-1) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (1-0)
(04-24-2024, 05:31 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Agree with everyone that Mavs D one them this game. In particular,  Maxi, Luka and PJ stood out tonight. Great overall effort though. I hope Gafford is ok.  Haven’t heard any updates on his back, but at least he has a couple days off to rest it.

One thing I really see the Mavs needing to win this series is some sort of an offensive contribution from Green and Exum. Both of them had opportunities to take open shots or penetrate to the rim, and both, with a couple exceptions, passed up those opps and deferred to Luka or Kyrie.  I always felt that Exum’s points in particular were important throughout this season, especially down the stretch….we need those now. Both of them also still seem a bit awe struck by the moment. I hope they get over that and that the game slows down for them a bit….
Yes. We need either Exum or Green to be that 8th guy. Exum is the most likely candidate. 

We’ve kinda figured out the 4/5 rotations. Keep throwing Gaff out there, but have a quick trigger to move to Lively. Maxi at the 5 for the important minutes
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 06:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The defense was so good last night.  Actually both teams defense.  Mav gave up very little uncontested looks from outside and their size really had an impact with the clippers trying to score inside the paint.  They recorded 7 blocks.  It felt like 15

It felt like 15 because on a few of those blocks, multiple guys swatted the ball!
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 06:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The defense was so good last night.  Actually both teams defense.  Mav gave up very little uncontested looks from outside and their size really had an impact with the clippers trying to score inside the paint.  They recorded 7 blocks.  It felt like 15
Scored less than game 1. This is the defense we need to bring every game. Might be the best D I’ve ever seen from a Mavs team ever
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 08:14 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: It felt like 15 because on a few of those blocks, multiple guys swatted the ball!
That block where Maxi, PJ AND DJJ all swatted it was absolutely amazing. Love how they are swarming 

Cherry on top was Luka was amazing on defense as well
Like Reply
(04-23-2024, 10:58 PM)GATA Wrote: This game is over

Great comment!
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 05:31 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Agree with everyone that Mavs D won them this game. In particular,  Maxi, Luka and PJ stood out tonight. Great overall effort though. I hope Gafford is ok.  Haven’t heard any updates on his back, but at least he has a couple days off to rest it.

One thing I really see the Mavs needing to win this series is some sort of an offensive contribution from Green and Exum. Both of them had opportunities to take open shots or penetrate to the rim, and both, with a couple exceptions, passed up those opps and deferred to Luka or Kyrie.  I always felt that Exum’s points in particular were important throughout this season, especially down the stretch….we need those now. Both of them also still seem a bit awe struck by the moment. I hope they get over that and that the game slows down for them a bit….

Yes we are going to need Exum and Green to step up.  Exum has been very quiet.  Hasn’t had the room he had in regular season.  Green was really active again.  Just need to hit some of those open threes. He also had 2 fouls that led to 5 free throws. I think we need his athleticism in this series though.
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 08:32 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yes we are going to need Exum and Green to step up.  Exum has been very quiet.  Hasn’t had the room he had in regular season.  Green was really active again.  Just need to hit some of those open threes. He also had 2 fouls that led to 5 free throws. I think we need his athleticism in this series though.

When Green was out at the 3 point line guarding Harden (I think it was fourth quarter) you knew what the outcome was going to be before it even happened
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
https://streamable.com/s7rryj

When I saw this in real time I was sure it was going to be a turnover. Looked so out of control and somehow we got super lucky it wasn't. Upon further review, Luka is a magician and made an incredible pass.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 09:06 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: When Green was out at the 3 point line guarding Harden (I think it was fourth quarter) you knew what the outcome was going to be before it even happened

It is real tough.  Some will say that is not a foul but Harden gets those calls.  I think he struggles sometimes in the playoffs because he doesn’t get all the fouls he got in th regular season.  The key is to limit his free throws. If he gets 10-12 free throws he probably scores over 25.  Make him make tough shots and limit his free throws you may very well limit his impact
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
Sort of crazy that when we had to make free throws we had jones, pj and maxi in the game. Pj hit two huge ones and jones split 2. A lot of questionable free throw shooters though
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman, rocky164
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 09:12 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is real tough.  Some will say that is not a foul but Harden gets those calls.  I think he struggles sometimes in the playoffs because he doesn’t get all the fouls he got in th regular season.  The key is to limit his free throws. If he gets 10-12 free throws he probably scores over 25.  Make him make tough shots and limit his free throws you may very well limit his impact

Foul on Green was a good call. Foul on Kleber in game one was terrible. What really annoyed me was that the Clippers got away with similar plays on a few occasions. One of them leading to THJs injury.

https://twitter.com/FastBreakPhenom/stat...9302551973
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Lukedoncic, rocky164
Like Reply
That was not a foul on Green. Ya’ll crazy.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 09:43 AM)The Jom Wrote: That was not a foul on Green. Ya’ll crazy.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=501&GameID=0042300172&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Green%20S.FOUL%20(P3.PN)%20(K.Scott)

Harden isn't jumping forward and Green moves a little bit too much into him. Don't like those kind of calls but that's a foul based on the current interpretation of the rules.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=247&GameID=0042300171&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Kleber%20S.FOUL%20(P2.T4)%20(D.Guthrie)

In contrast we have this call from game one that should have been an offensive foul on Harden. He kicks out his leg and creates the contact.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 09:53 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=501&GameID=0042300172&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Green%20S.FOUL%20(P3.PN)%20(K.Scott)

Harden isn't jumping forward and Green moves a little bit too much into him. Don't like those kind of calls but that's a foul based on the current interpretation of the rules.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=247&GameID=0042300171&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Kleber%20S.FOUL%20(P2.T4)%20(D.Guthrie)

In contrast we have this call from game one that should have been an offensive foul on Harden. He kicks out his leg and creates the contact.

These links work!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(04-23-2024, 10:55 PM)GATA Wrote: Get PJ out of the game.  He is a massive liability

Say whaaaat??
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 05:31 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Agree with everyone that Mavs D won them this game. In particular,  Maxi, Luka and PJ stood out tonight. Great overall effort though. I hope Gafford is ok.  Haven’t heard any updates on his back, but at least he has a couple days off to rest it.

Exum can't contribute if he doesn't get minutes.
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 11:14 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Exum can't contribute if he doesn't get minutes.

Exum is the player most bothered by the Clippers length. His advantage has been as a 3rd ball handler with size and that has been negated. I think it will ultimately come down to his ability to guard Harden without fouling and not be completely neutralized on offense...
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 11:14 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Exum can't contribute if he doesn't get minutes.

I’ll give you that. But when he was in there, he contributed ZILCH on either end of the court. Uncharacteristic, as he’s been a consistent glue guy most of this season.
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply

Double clicked send lol. Sorry

I’ll give you that. But when he was in there, he contributed ZILCH on either end of the court. Uncharacteristic, as he’s been a consistent glue guy most of this season.
Like Reply
(04-24-2024, 09:52 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=501&GameID=0042300172&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Green%20S.FOUL%20(P3.PN)%20(K.Scott)

That’s the wrong angle on the Green non-foul. Maybe you were watching the national broadcast and they didn’t replay it from behind the shooter? On the local broadcast they did, and you see separation between the bodies the entire play, including the landing, except that Harden kicks one leg out obviously, and the sole of his shoe grazes Green just below the knee. 

Agree that your link looks like a foul. Agree that the ref from whatever angle he had might have reasonably believed it was a foul. There were way worse calls and non-calls in the game. 

I’m just trying to defend Green here. This thread called it a dumb foul. It wasn’t. It was terrific defense and not a foul.

Edit: Here’s an angle I hadn’t seen. https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1c...ree_point/
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 3 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply