Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Bucks 116
(12-17-2019, 08:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs can still win games without Luka. The formula should be play defense and shoot a ton of 3s. Our team has good shooters. Watching that game last night I am convinced that 3s and paint baskets are the way to go. Sure it's okay to shoot a rhythm mid-range jumper a couple times if it's open but that should be 1% of the shots taken. Mavs have enough guys that can get dribble penetration to get open looks. If Mavs can get good looks from outside against the Bucks stingy defense, they can do it against anybody. Our spacing is great and will keep this team competitive especially if they are going to play this hard every night. I still think we need to pull the trigger on another defensive stud wing or big to shore up some weaknesses. Iggy would be so handy to bother Giannis types for 10-15 mpg.

My open letter to Rick Carlisle:

If you want garbage time to stay garbage time, especially against the best team in the East on the road, use JJ Barea. I promise if JJB had been running point the last 5 minutes he would have had double digit points and we would have been laughing all the way to the end. JJB will not have empty possessions or goofy execution errors and he makes free throws. Instead we got a fire drill bc we gave the Bucks a window to get back into the game.

This is a good point.  I forwarded the letter to coach Carlisle and he shot back that he had it all under control and he wanted to get his younger guys like  Brunson and yes-I-choked-some-free-throws-Jackson-THJ  that critical late game experience. 
Hey I'm just the messenger here. Sleepy
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 12:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 03:36 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Wesley Matthews had 6 points in the role of starting shooting guard. 

He delivered when we needed him the most. Clutch airball in the 4th quarter Big Grin

Back on topic. 3-point shooting was the big difference. The Mavs tried to prevent a defensive collapse on Giannis drives and obviously payed the price. Outside of a short stretch were Maxi was able to force consecutive stops he scored at will. Nevertheless Giannis alone wasn´t able to beat the Mavs and the scheme worked. Take away Korvers efficient 5/7 and the rest of their team combined for 6/34 from 3.

I don't understand defense sometimes. If only Korver and Giannis are scoring you have to have Korver's guy stick to him even if it means another guy gets an open look. With Giannis when they built a wall it worked, I realize that's easier said than done. Their outside shooting was so bad if we could have at least stuck on Korver I think that would have made the end of the game go smoother.

It felt like the Mavs were okay with Giannis scoring at will as long as no on else was scoring. They did not collapse vs the drive. I rarely saw more than 2 defenders vs Giannis.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Luka-less Mavs Shock League-leading Bucks

An 18-game winning streak bit the dust in Milwaukee. WOW!!!!!!

Game Story

We may have seen the emergence of Kristaps Porzingis  .... 

Next. Boston, on Wednesday at the AAC. It doesn't get any easier for a while. 

Go Mavs!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Woj mentioned on his Trade Show with Lowe that the Heat have a reputation among players and agents as a place where young fringe NBA players want to go because they have a track record of developing players inside their franchise and turning them into NBA players. Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn went undrafted. Derrick Jones Jr plucked from the G-League. They took Josh Richardson in the 2nd round and developed him in the G-League. The Mavs beating a 24-3 team on their home court with several guys that they've acquired cheaply and developed in house ... Brunson, DFS, DP, Maxi,
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Wesley Matthews had 6 points in the role of starting shooting guard. 

He delivered when we needed him the most. Clutch airball in the 4th quarter Big Grin

Back on topic. 3-point shooting was the big difference. The Mavs tried to prevent a defensive collapse on Giannis drives and obviously payed the price. Outside of a short stretch were Maxi was able to force consecutive stops he scored at will. Nevertheless Giannis alone wasn´t able to beat the Mavs and the scheme worked. Take away Korvers efficient 5/7 and the rest of their team combined for 6/34 from 3.
I think was what Rick was referencing when he said the Mavs got a little lucky that the Bucks were so bad on threes, while acknowledging that the Mavericks defense had something to do with that poor shooting.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 12:02 PM)Jommybone Wrote: The negative comments on the young backup PG really surprise me. 11 assists to 2 turnovers against the NBA's best defensive team is a noteworthy performance. Doing it from a backup role in your 2nd season? That's special. Sure, some of his drives to the hoop ended poorly. Is that a shock? Disappointment? Do you all even remember young Berea? Jalen acted as chief creator last night. That’s a tall order for a young back up. Yet he delivered. And his 5 missed shot attempts on the evening included 2 on which he received the ball with 3 ticks left on the shot clock. It was an efficient performance, bordering on spectacular given the circumstances.

Previous Milwaukee PG games:

Colin Sexton 1 assist 3 turnovers
Tyus Jones 7 assists 1 turnover
Jru Holiday 6 assists 8 turnovers
Markelle Fultz 9 assists 2 turnovers
Patrick Beverly 1 assist 2 turnovers
Bruce Brown 2 assists 1 turnover
Dennis Smith, Jr. 3 assists 1 turnover
Devonte' Graham 5 assists 1 turnover

And this is why I voted for JB for Dirkie. For a second year, second round pick to start in place of a transcendent player, against the best team in the league, on an 18 game win streak, on their home court, and put up this kind of game? That's above and beyond stuff right there, buddy!
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 04:14 PM)embellisher Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 12:02 PM)Jommybone Wrote: The negative comments on the young backup PG really surprise me. 11 assists to 2 turnovers against the NBA's best defensive team is a noteworthy performance. Doing it from a backup role in your 2nd season? That's special. Sure, some of his drives to the hoop ended poorly. Is that a shock? Disappointment? Do you all even remember young Berea? Jalen acted as chief creator last night. That’s a tall order for a young back up. Yet he delivered. And his 5 missed shot attempts on the evening included 2 on which he received the ball with 3 ticks left on the shot clock. It was an efficient performance, bordering on spectacular given the circumstances.

Previous Milwaukee PG games:

Colin Sexton 1 assist 3 turnovers
Tyus Jones 7 assists 1 turnover
Jru Holiday 6 assists 8 turnovers
Markelle Fultz 9 assists 2 turnovers
Patrick Beverly 1 assist 2 turnovers
Bruce Brown 2 assists 1 turnover
Dennis Smith, Jr. 3 assists 1 turnover
Devonte' Graham 5 assists 1 turnover

And this is why I voted for JB for Dirkie. For a second year, second round pick to start in place of a transcendent player, against the best team in the league, on an 18 game win streak, on their home court, and put up this kind of game? That's above and beyond stuff right there, buddy!
Only thing I wonder is if Bledsoe was playing during those games. If so, that probably has a lot to do with those poor performances. Don’t want to take away from what Brunson did last night, cause I was impressed, just trying to add context.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 07:32 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I do have to say, I was pretty upset with Rick not putting KP in sooner than he did at the end. Once they made it a single-digit lead, I thought KP should have gone in to use up some of those fouls and stop the run going on.
I get where you're coming from, but when you're 9 points up and about to go to the line with 40 seconds left, your chances of losing the game are close to negligible. Granted, it nearly happened, but I like the move of giving the bench some experience and confidence by leaving them in, considering the circumstances.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 06:15 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I get where you're coming from, but when you're 9 points up and about to go to the line with 40 seconds left, your chances of losing the game are close to negligible. Granted, it nearly happened, but I like the move of giving the bench some experience and confidence by leaving them in, considering the circumstances.
Yep, I wasn't thinking that at the time, I at least thought having one of Powell or Maxi in instead of DFS to guard their bigger guy in Ilyasova was the right choice. Ultimately, I'm glad we pulled through for sure.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 07:00 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 06:15 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I get where you're coming from, but when you're 9 points up and about to go to the line with 40 seconds left, your chances of losing the game are close to negligible. Granted, it nearly happened, but I like the move of giving the bench some experience and confidence by leaving them in, considering the circumstances.
Yep, I wasn't thinking that at the time, I at least thought having one of Powell or Maxi in instead of DFS to guard their bigger guy in Ilyasova was the right choice. Ultimately, I'm glad we pulled through for sure.
Yeah, I think Rick might have done that if Powell and Maxi weren't both on five fouls. Or if they had had less of a cushion. As it worked out, a nice vote of confidence in DFS.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 12:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't understand defense sometimes. If only Korver and Giannis are scoring you have to have Korver's guy stick to him even if it means another guy gets an open look. With Giannis when they built a wall it worked, I realize that's easier said than done. Their outside shooting was so bad if we could have at least stuck on Korver I think that would have made the end of the game go smoother.
Korver didn't make any threes during the rough stretch at the end, and didn't even take a shot except for the last heave of the game. However, I take your point. Sometimes, the Mavs were leaving Korver in the corner to help inside -- rarely a good idea. I am sure that will be mentioned in the film session.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 09:33 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Justin Jackson is a nice rotational minutes eater, but he shouldn't be part of a playoff rotation. The moment looked too big for him tonight when he clanked two back to back free throws with the game on the line and looked completely lost on defense.    Its not that every playoff rotation player has to be a great player, but you have to do something at a playoff caliber level to even be a role player, and he doesn't have anything in his toolbox at that level.      That's why you trade for Iggy for a playoff run.
Not sure I understand the point you are making. 

Are you suggesting that Mavs should (1) hold Justin Jackson outside of the playoff rotation; and, (2) trade for Iggy?

Or, does (1) have something to do with (2)?
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 04:04 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

I think was what Rick was referencing when he said the Mavs got a little lucky that the Bucks were so bad on threes, while acknowledging that the Mavericks defense had something to do with that poor shooting.

I agree with his take. The Bucks won't shoot that bad from 3, very often.  Korver was on, but Middleton, Lopez, Hill, Matthews and Ilyasova,  didn't score in double figures. Good win for the Mavs,  they made their 3's, the Bucks didn't. There will surely be games, when the Mavs won't shoot well either.
Like Reply
Listened to the Locked on Bucks postgame pod. They were pretty surprised their team lost to the Mavs without Luka, but also believed that the Mavs were the better team on the night. They were particularly complimentary of KP, Seth, and Brunson. Also thought the main reason for the loss was that the Mavs never allowed the Bucks to play the way they like to play, and forced them into Plan B's and making what-now type decisions all night. DFS did irritate them by trash-talking Giannis, as they felt, who is Finney Smith to come in and talk that way to Giannis? He's a winner, that's who! Go, Doe-Doe.
Like Reply
(12-18-2019, 01:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Also thought the main reason for the loss was that the Mavs never allowed the Bucks to play the way they like to play, and forced them into Plan B's and making what-now type decisions all night.

Seems like our defensive game plans may be trending towards a recurring theme.

(12-18-2019, 01:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: DFS did irritate them by trash-talking Giannis, as they felt, who is Finney Smith to come in and talk that way to Giannis? He's a winner, that's who! Go, Doe-Doe.

Love it!
Like Reply
(12-18-2019, 01:19 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Seems like our defensive game plans may be trending towards a recurring theme.

It´s interesting to see the different gameplans the coaching staff + scouting department come up with.

Against the Rockets the Mavs doubled Harden all game long and basically played a box and one zone against Harden. He was doubled on the catch.
Against the Bucks they tried to play single coverage vs Giannis. They focused on the perimeter shooters and asked DFS and Kleber to limit Giannis (with the occasional help from KP).

Both gameplans worked. Against the Rockets Hardens teammates were unable to take advantage of the additional space. Against the Bucks Giannis dominated but the Mavs succesfully shut down his teammates.
Like Reply