Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Bucks 116
Luka-less Mavs Shock League-leading Bucks

An 18-game winning streak bit the dust in Milwaukee. WOW!!!!!!

Game Story

Bledsoe was out for Milwaukee, along with Luka for the Mavs. 

The Bucks scored the first few points, but Dallas came right back on the strength of some very hot long-range shooting (7-13) and strong defense. The Mavs built a 36-22 advantage by the end of the quarter. Would it last?

No, it wouldn't. The Bucks whittled away at the lead, and chiseled it to 3 points (56-53) going into the halftime interval. The pundits criticized the Mavs for going away from their first quarter approach, doing too much dribbling instead of moving the ball, and letting their offense get stagnant. 

Dallas came out of halftime with a strong punch, but the Bucks weren't taking anything lying down. Milwaukee continued to chip away, and ultimately took a lead in the middle of the period. I admit, I feared the home team was about to run away with it. But, no such thing. The Mavericks responded resolutely, recovered their edge, and went into the fourth quarter at 86-76.

The men in blue maintained their strong position well into the final frame, maintaining a double-digit lead until the 53-second mark, when a Bucks layup off an offensive rebound narrowed their deficit to nine. The Mavs were back to 11 up with two Wright free throws after an intentional foul. Then, with 40 seconds left, the Bucks went on a 13-6 run. Six of those Milwaukee points were scored by Giannis, who went out at 4:22, returned at 0:16, and put 6 points on the board in 7 seconds. Woah. 

The Mavs ended up dissolving at the end of the game, with many of the same problems they exhibited against the Heat. With 5 seconds remaining, Giannis hit a shot, and Maxi fouled out on it. Giannis missed the free throw, but Sterling Brown grabbed the OR and tried to put it back, but KP blocked his shot, thus saving the Mavs from going only 2 points down. THJ sealed the win with a free throw. Whew!

Analytics

The Mavs won the game on the strength of a 15-point edge in points from threes, and a 5-point advantage in made free throws. Powell and Hardaway combined to go 0-9 from long range, but all the other Mavs were a combined 16-32. Way to put the ball in the basket! Dallas trailed in PIP (38-56), fast break points (11-27), turnovers (14-8), and shots put up (88-105). Making threes covers a lot of sins. The Mavericks bench was 56-45 against the Bucks reserves. 

Players

DFS (35 min). This was a great night for Dorian. He put 15 points and 8 rebounds on the board, and took primary responsibility for guarding Khris Middleton, who was held to 9 points on 4-12 shooting. The Fox analysts noted that he had two big threes, and did everything he was supposed to. Rick thought his performance was great. Wonderful hustle from the young wing!

KP (33 min).  We may have seen the emergence of Kristaps Porzingis, who had what was probably his best game as a Mav. He took on the responsibility of being a scoring anchor, without forcing shots. He put up 26 points, including four triples, and had 12 rebounds and 2 blocks. At one point, he executed a dramatic rejection, and raced down the court for a throw down, thrilling his fans on both ends of the court. Toward the end of the game, he also had two back-to-back threes from somewhere in outer space, along with a potentially game-changing block on the putback after the last missed rebound. And was a stalwart on defense, which almost goes without saying by now. 

Carlisle referenced Porzee's game as "spectacular." The analysts thought the team did a good job at getting him involved, and he played very well within Rick's style, dealing well with double teams and making big shots. Gave us a good glimpse of what he can do and be. After the game, KP said he is feeling more comfortable in the Mavs' system with every game, although he still isn't used to shooting so many threes. He noted that the Mavs play very differently when Luka is not on the floor, and he thinks they have latched on to what they have to do to compete without him on the court. 

Brunson (32 min). Jalen was assigned starting PG duty, and carried out his assignment with aplomb, at least until the last few minutes. He recorded 13 points and a game-high 11 assists, with only 2 turnovers. He did a very good job of keeping his teammates involved, and made many correct reads and good decisions. He struggled at the end in some unfortunate ways, but his overall performance was above expectations. 

Maxi (29 min). Maxi drew the thankless task of being Giannis' primary defender, and managed not to foul out until the very end of the game. His box score wasn't spectacular (10 points, 7 rebounds), and it doesn't do justice to his determined defense and disciplined approach to the game. Although he wasn't on the court to start the game, he played starter minutes at the center position. 

Seth (26 min). Seth really stepped up off the bench, putting up 26 points on scalding 9-15 shooting, including 4-8 threes. At first, the Bucks were playing him to shoot, and he zipped right by them for scores at the basket. He played what may have been his most complete game of the season, shooting, finishing around the basket with a variety of moves, drawing a foul on a three for a four-point play, and moving the ball. Rick described his performance as "tremendous." 

The guard said the guys viewed the Bucks' winning streak as a sign that Milwaukee was due for a loss, and they had a lot of confidence that they could score points against this team. They had an offensive and defensive game plan, and executed both of them well. He described playing for this team as being a lot of fun, grinning all the way. 

Wright (18 min).  Delon took the reserve point guard role, and looked far better than he did on his first night back from injury. He was very efficient, missing only one of his 6 shot attempts, making both his free throws, and recording a game-high 4 steals. Good to see him looking back to normal. 

Bucks. I know I'm not supposed to compliment opposing players, but man, Giannis is a fricking BEAST. He went off for 48 points, and knifed through the lane at will. The Mavs mostly elected not to double-team him, and it looks like they opted to make the "others" beat them. Sitting on the bench in the last few minutes, he looked absolutely miserable. Korver also torched Dallas with three-point shooting (17 points, 5-7 threes), but the other members of the team gave GA and KK little in the way of assistance. Former Mav Wesley Matthews had 6 points in the role of starting shooting guard. 

Remarks

This may have been the best collective team performance playing Rick's preferred style that we have seen from the Mavs. The defense was mostly steady, the ball movement was mostly superior, and player movement was mostly excellent, as well. Scoring was more balanced than usual, with six guys in double figures. This team seem to have completely bought in to the system, and appear to have made visible progress even at this relatively early point in the season. The team plays differently with Luka on the floor, due to his dominance on the ball and very high usage, and the non-Luka units look to be developing their own distinctive style. 

Rick thought the key to the win was the good start, along with the Mavs' aggressiveness. He developed a simple game plan, thought they executed it well, and was very proud of the performance. 

This is a very significant win, despite the fact they almost lost it. No Luka. Opponent with the league's best record. On an 18-win streak. At their house. A very off night from THJ, and Powell not being a good matchup for Giannis (who is?). Bucks massively favored. And these guys managed to pull this off in the face of all expectations. Rick said a little luck probably entered into it, and maybe so, but this is a statement. Luka was watching in Dallas, and live-tweeted the game with encouraging comments. I like this team!

Next. Boston, on Wednesday at the AAC. It doesn't get any easier for a while. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Wesley Matthews had 6 points in the role of starting shooting guard. 

He delivered when we needed him the most. Clutch airball in the 4th quarter Big Grin

Back on topic. 3-point shooting was the big difference. The Mavs tried to prevent a defensive collapse on Giannis drives and obviously payed the price. Outside of a short stretch were Maxi was able to force consecutive stops he scored at will. Nevertheless Giannis alone wasn´t able to beat the Mavs and the scheme worked. Take away Korvers efficient 5/7 and the rest of their team combined for 6/34 from 3.
Like Reply
This was really, really fucking exciting, for this group to win in Milwaukee, sans Luka. This game demonstrated the quality/resilience of the team build, and you get that result with stability of player personnel...and quality character. Rick finally has a team of all Rick guys, so he should excel in managing these situations.

That...and these guys are all pit fighting for minutes, playing their asses off. So we got that going for us. Which is nice.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:42 AM)reckoner07 Wrote: and these guys are all pit fighting for minutes
Mmmmm, Pit-Fighter, that was a pretty good attempt to dethrone Mortal Kombat at the local arcade.

I do have to say, I was pretty upset with Rick not putting KP in sooner than he did at the end. Once they made it a single-digit lead, I thought KP should have gone in to use up some of those fouls and stop the run going on. Other than that (well, even with that), stellar game from our boys in blue.
Like Reply
Excellent win, second best of the year (beating LA in their building is more satisfying for me).  

I really hope KP has turned the corner and will be a consistent shooter now.  He is an All Star playing like he did last night.
Like Reply
Mavs can still win games without Luka. The formula should be play defense and shoot a ton of 3s. Our team has good shooters. Watching that game last night I am convinced that 3s and paint baskets are the way to go. Sure it's okay to shoot a rhythm mid-range jumper a couple times if it's open but that should be 1% of the shots taken. Mavs have enough guys that can get dribble penetration to get open looks. If Mavs can get good looks from outside against the Bucks stingy defense, they can do it against anybody. Our spacing is great and will keep this team competitive especially if they are going to play this hard every night. I still think we need to pull the trigger on another defensive stud wing or big to shore up some weaknesses. Iggy would be so handy to bother Giannis types for 10-15 mpg.

My open letter to Rick Carlisle:

If you want garbage time to stay garbage time, especially against the best team in the East on the road, use JJ Barea. I promise if JJB had been running point the last 5 minutes he would have had double digit points and we would have been laughing all the way to the end. JJB will not have empty possessions or goofy execution errors and he makes free throws. Instead we got a fire drill bc we gave the Bucks a window to get back into the game.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 08:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I still think we need to pull the trigger on another 2 defensive stud wings or and big to shore up some weaknesses.
FIFY. Better players are better, IMO.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:42 AM)reckoner07 Wrote: Rick finally has a team of all Rick guys,

I just old guys at work this same thing before I read your post. And I think all it takes to be a "Rick guy" is to do what he coaches you to do on the court rather than do your own thing.

(12-17-2019, 08:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: If you want garbage time to stay garbage time, especially against the best team in the East on the road, use JJ Barea. I promise if JJB had been running point the last 5 minutes he would have had double digit points and we would have been laughing all the way to the end.

Totally agree. But Brunson has to learn how to close.
Like Reply
Justin Jackson is a nice rotational minutes eater, but he shouldn't be part of a playoff rotation. The moment looked too big for him tonight when he clanked two back to back free throws with the game on the line and looked completely lost on defense. Its not that every playoff rotation player has to be a great player, but you have to do something at a playoff caliber level to even be a role player, and he doesn't have anything in his toolbox at that level. That's why you trade for Iggy for a playoff run.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: the ball movement was mostly superior, and player movement was mostly excellent, as well.

This to me was the most impressive aspect of the win. The way the ball moved at times was almost breath-taking... excellent work by the good guys, tonight!
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 09:33 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Justin Jackson is a nice rotational minutes eater, but he shouldn't be part of a playoff rotation. The moment looked too big for him tonight when he clanked two back to back free throws with the game on the line and looked completely lost on defense.    Its not that every playoff rotation player has to be a great player, but you have to do something at a playoff caliber level to even be a role player, and he doesn't have anything in his toolbox at that level.      That's why you trade for Iggy for a playoff run.

I agree that JJ didn't contribute a lot toward the end and I admit yelling "WTF" when he clanked those two free throws.

But I think it's great that these young guys are getting to experience these high pressure situations so they can learn 1) how to personally play better and 2) how to support each other when the game is close and the stakes are high. There are going to be some individual failures along the way, but the team overall is (to my eyes) starting to develop a belief that "hey, we're pretty good too." DAL doesn't go far without Luka, but having the confidence that they can compete while he's rehabbing is going to really make them a dangerous opponent since the opponents will have to account for more than one guy in the future.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 09:51 AM)michaeltex Wrote: But I think it's great that these young guys are getting to experience these high pressure situations so they can learn 1) how to personally play better and 2) how to support each other when the game is close and the stakes are high. There are going to be some individual failures along the way, but the team overall is (to my eyes) starting to develop a belief that "hey, we're pretty good too." DAL doesn't go far without Luka, but having the confidence that they can compete while he's rehabbing is going to really make them a dangerous opponent since the opponents will have to account for more than one guy in the future.

love this

The comments about that we should have closed with JJB and the the comment above about the moment being too big for Justin Jackson come from a mindset of winning one game (which I get). Letting Brunson close games in Luka's absence and getting JJax some is about making the team better. When you can win games while developing players, that's gravy.
Like Reply
RC is a Psychology guy, so whether he though JJax was ready or not for the moment, I expect him to use this to help him grow.

And it's not like JJax hasn't played in big situations, it just hasn't been in the NBA. The guy played in 2 NCAA championships at UNC, one of which they won.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 10:05 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 09:51 AM)michaeltex Wrote: But I think it's great that these young guys are getting to experience these high pressure situations so they can learn 1) how to personally play better and 2) how to support each other when the game is close and the stakes are high. There are going to be some individual failures along the way, but the team overall is (to my eyes) starting to develop a belief that "hey, we're pretty good too." DAL doesn't go far without Luka, but having the confidence that they can compete while he's rehabbing is going to really make them a dangerous opponent since the opponents will have to account for more than one guy in the future.

love this

The comments about that we should have closed with JJB and the the comment above about the moment being too big for Justin Jackson come from a mindset of winning one game (which I get). Letting Brunson close games in Luka's absence and getting JJax some is about making the team better. When you can win games while developing players, that's gravy.

Unsaid is the fact that now there is tape the staff can use for individual development. Visual support for how to physically/tactically get better. Also, talk about how to make a different/better decision or add encouragment to find ways to pre-think these situations so the player is more successful in the future.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 09:25 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Totally agree. But Brunson has to learn how to close.

Yep. I would be fine with Barea having this role in the playoffs this year. But he's not going to be around forever. Let's use the regular season to develop this in Brunson.
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 09:33 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Justin Jackson is a nice rotational minutes eater, but he shouldn't be part of a playoff rotation. The moment looked too big for him tonight when he clanked two back to back free throws with the game on the line and looked completely lost on defense.    Its not that every playoff rotation player has to be a great player, but you have to do something at a playoff caliber level to even be a role player, and he doesn't have anything in his toolbox at that level.      That's why you trade for Iggy for a playoff run.

I like JJax a lot but he is a trade piece to be moved in the next year or so before he gets a new contract. He is still a decent fallback in 2021 should the Mavs not land a big fish I think he will be restricted.

THJ had a rough game but I would not move him to the bench and I don't think Rick will make that change. I still think THJ as starter is still the best way to go for now with Curry eating up more of his minutes. I like that Rick has cut THJ's minutes when he isn't playing well. If you look at his game logs, when he isn't shoot well Rick cuts his minutes into the low 20's which should be the plan. If THJ is hot you leave him in there for 35 min. If not, up Curry's minutes. Hopefully Curry gets more minutes regardless, certainly while Luka is out but it might mean less Brunson minutes. 

Unfortunately for these guys when everybody is healthy we have a lot of guards. Luka operates as a guard + THJ, Wright, Curry, and Brunson not to mention JJB. At some point one of those guys is expendable. Curry and Brunson in particular have to battle for the same minutes. What will be interesting to see for the next couple of weeks while Luka is out if Curry continues to further cement his role as a clear rung above Brunson. Brunson is great but also can be effective in low minutes and is under contract for a while so if he gets inconsistent minutes for a couple of years, I think that's okay.
Like Reply
Great, great, great team win. KP finally got sum love from the zebras. And he maximized his opportunities. His rebounding especially was ferocious. (Except on free throws. What’s going on there?)

The negative comments on the young backup PG really surprise me. 11 assists to 2 turnovers against the NBA's best defensive team is a noteworthy performance. Doing it from a backup role in your 2nd season? That's special. Sure, some of his drives to the hoop ended poorly. Is that a shock? Disappointment? Do you all even remember young Berea? Jalen acted as chief creator last night. That’s a tall order for a young back up. Yet he delivered. And his 5 missed shot attempts on the evening included 2 on which he received the ball with 3 ticks left on the shot clock. It was an efficient performance, bordering on spectacular given the circumstances.

Previous Milwaukee PG games:

Colin Sexton 1 assist 3 turnovers
Tyus Jones 7 assists 1 turnover
Jru Holiday 6 assists 8 turnovers
Markelle Fultz 9 assists 2 turnovers
Patrick Beverly 1 assist 2 turnovers
Bruce Brown 2 assists 1 turnover
Dennis Smith, Jr. 3 assists 1 turnover
Devonte' Graham 5 assists 1 turnover
Like Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:36 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Wesley Matthews had 6 points in the role of starting shooting guard. 

He delivered when we needed him the most. Clutch airball in the 4th quarter Big Grin

Back on topic. 3-point shooting was the big difference. The Mavs tried to prevent a defensive collapse on Giannis drives and obviously payed the price. Outside of a short stretch were Maxi was able to force consecutive stops he scored at will. Nevertheless Giannis alone wasn´t able to beat the Mavs and the scheme worked. Take away Korvers efficient 5/7 and the rest of their team combined for 6/34 from 3.

I don't understand defense sometimes. If only Korver and Giannis are scoring you have to have Korver's guy stick to him even if it means another guy gets an open look. With Giannis when they built a wall it worked, I realize that's easier said than done. Their outside shooting was so bad if we could have at least stuck on Korver I think that would have made the end of the game go smoother.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...6798916608

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...3461957632
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
"Bucks: Fear the Deer, Fear the Freak, Fear the Streak

Mavericks: Fear the Unicorn, Fear Steph's lil Bro"

Saw this somewhere and it made me laugh.
Like Reply