• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 122, Pistons 111
(12-13-2019, 08:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 05:49 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 05:10 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Shawn Marion no bueno
Made me switch to Pistons feed  Big Grin
Are you Kammrath's alias?

[Image: giphy.gif]

I'm just gonna say it....I could never see this poor exploited child again on any medium and it would be too soon.  If her parents were my family, I'd straighten them out but good.

But I do agree with the sentiment...how dare you, man!
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 08:12 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: But seriously, Im not his alias. Im just a humble poster enjoying great content on this board, including your recaps, which I missed from the old board.

Thanks, man.

Regarding Marion, he did say that Mavs are still missing a piece, and he did mention the Mavs needing a bruiser if I remember correctly. Reminded me on how many posters here advocate a trade for Steven Adams  Smile

Iirc, he suggested a bruiser on the inside and maybe a three-point-shooting enforcer. Probably pretty good ideas, actually. 

And I dont remember hearing Skin on the broadcast, maybe you mean Followill? He was very giddy talking to the Matrix on the broadcast and Marion was more than willing to oblige.  Its just that his delivery left a lot to be desired for me

Skin, Mark, whatevs, lol. I agree on the delivery part. Matrix doesn't seem to have had much in the way of voice training for TV. Most professional news/sports guys enunciate crisply and punch the important words. Shawn has kind of a breathy voice and tends to run his words together, so sometimes it can sound like a stream of whispering sounds. But I probably nitpick. It was interesting to hear his views. 
P. S.  Your secret is safe with me.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:02 AM)duboh7 Wrote: 41--30--20.  That's a stat (Luka-Curry-Zinger) that works for most nights.
91 points among the three of them. Hadn't really focused on that. Wow!
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 10:25 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Thanks mavsluvr! Me gusta
Gracias, decimoquinto!
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 11:32 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Yes, thank you Slur. These are always great.

I most appreciate the analysis. The what happened and who said what are interesting too. But that info is generally available elsewhere. Actual analytical thought re what’s improving and regressing? That’s hard to find. Fish and staff used to do it. But they’re plainly devoting 99% to the Cowboys these days. So Slur, you’re the best source on the planet.

My 2 cents:

1. What Luka wants to do: Jack up threes. What Luka has learned he can do with world-class effectiveness: Drive to the hole. The double-high picks were extremely effective last night. But the reason, as I see it, is the same. Luka coming off a screen and driving to the hoop = wide open looks for someone. Pick your poison.

2. What Kristaps wants to do: Jack up threes. What Kristaps is just starting to do with the Mavs: Drive to the hole. I recall 3 times last night. Perhaps there were more. KP gives a pump fake and then puts the ball on the floor. With his stride, 1 dribble can cover the distance. And that 4th Q slam in Drummond's face? Plus the snarl? That was downright nasty.
Thanks for the kind words, JB.

One of the local podcasts broke down that slam. Was fun to relive it!
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 01:37 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Matrix thought the team could use a bruiser inside, and maybe also a "mean guy" who can shoot threes. 

Derek Harper mentioned early in the season that he thought the Mavs need a Rasheed Wallace type. 

'Sheed basically fits what Marion said this team lacks as well. 

Honestly I've always wanted a Rasheed Wallace-type, even going back to early in Dirk's career when there were debates about who to surround him with. 

Unfortunately Sheed isn't an option but Marcus Morris sort of fits the mould. I've always thought of Morris as closer to Antoine Walker but Morris certainly brings the swagger. 

James Johnson is out of the rotation in Miami. He's not as talented but no doubt brings the toughness.

Adams is probably out of the price range.

Taj Gibson?
Like Reply
(12-14-2019, 11:34 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: James Johnson is out of the rotation in Miami. He's not as talented but no doubt brings the toughness.

Adams is probably out of the price range

Adams is a nice guy. Sort of like Boban. A gentle giant
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 06:10 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Couple things I like about this game and Mavs season in general:

- Liked seeing some more of the Rockets type spacing to let Luka operate. I anticipate we will see more of this in the future.
- Mavs are doing all this with Luka playing under 34 mpg and KP playing under 31 mpg. This is pretty great and shows you the confidence Rick has in his bench. Harden has to play almost 38 mpg. Mavs are giving up some wins in the regular season but they are playing the long-game. These guys will be in good shape come playoff time. Both of those guys are going to get several more minutes a game on the floor which makes an impact. Between the two of them you could see an extra 6 minutes or so a game easily.
- Mavs don't have a 3rd guy but they have a 3rd guy by committee because any given game one of THJ, Curry, Wright, Brunson are going to have a great impact game. A lot is said about Rick playing matchups with all these players and there is some of that. More than that though there is the idea that you can ride the hot hand and out of those 4 guys in particular (not to mention a JJB or Jackson who can get hot on occasion) you have pretty good odds that one of them is going to be rolling. Rick is smart to identify the guy who's hot and keep him in there.
Spacing, load management, and bench -- there is a lot to like there. 

Agree that Mavs appear to have taken a page from the Rockets playbook.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 01:59 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: One more thing....

Can we all be done with the "let's go get Blake Griffin" talk?  If last night is any indication of where he is physically and mentally, I want NO PART of that money pit right there.  no, no, no.

Looks like last year was the pinnacle season, of his career. Whether it's from off season surgery, or  not being in shape, he's definitely regressed from last season. May be a sign of things to come.
Like Reply
(12-14-2019, 11:34 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 01:37 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Matrix thought the team could use a bruiser inside, and maybe also a "mean guy" who can shoot threes. 

Derek Harper mentioned early in the season that he thought the Mavs need a Rasheed Wallace type. 

'Sheed basically fits what Marion said this team lacks as well. 

Honestly I've always wanted a Rasheed Wallace-type, even going back to early in Dirk's career when there were debates about who to surround him with. 

Unfortunately Sheed isn't an option but Marcus Morris sort of fits the mould. I've always thought of Morris as closer to Antoine Walker but Morris certainly brings the swagger. 

James Johnson is out of the rotation in Miami. He's not as talented but no doubt brings the toughness.

Adams is probably out of the price range.

Taj Gibson?
Morris would be an interesting option, although I believe he has a reputation as a bit of a knucklehead. 

Agree that Adams is probably too expensive, unless they truly think he would be the final piece to enable them to win it all this season or next.  

Did you have in mind a short-term rental until the summer of 2021? If they're trying to use that summer for one or more big free agents, I could see re-signing guys like Morris and Adams as possibly not very likely. In Morris' case, because he might have to be willing to sign a one-year contract. In Adams' situation, because they might not be able to afford him in connection with the other things they want to do. 

I don't know that I think a big man is the top priority (realize you didn't say it was). If they want to add one this season, think they could make do with a bench guy who could play starter minutes occasionally against teams with behemoths. Think they could really use a big 3-and-D wing, who could also be the 'Sheed type, but wouldn't have to be. 

Good thoughts.
Like Reply