Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 122, Pistons 111
Pistons No Problema por los Mavs en la Ciudad de México

Olé!  What a cool game in a great city!

Game Story

Delon Wright remained out with an adductor strain. Reggie Jackson was inactive for Detroit. 

Luka got the action started, addressing the crowd in Spanish before the game, to a tremendous ovation. He drew "MVP" chants from the Mexican fans all through the match. 

The Mavs got out to a bit of a slow start, with Luka missing 4 of his first 6 free throws, and the Pistons coming out of the gate strong. Ultimately, the Mavs got on track and ended the quarter at 34-29. In the second period, the men from Texas went a bit flat, allowed the Michigan boys to go on a 14-0 run, and were down by 7 with three minutes to go. Then, they went on a 14-0 run of their own, and went into the locker room with 65-58 advantage. Seth Curry was en fuego. 

Dallas took charge in the third and built a lead of 24 points, resulting in Boban getting caught yawning on the bench. The Pistons made it interesting with a Derrick Rose-led charge at the end of the frame, and Dallas going into the fourth with a 95-85 lead. Detroit looked like it was running out of steam, and the Mavs were able to put their stamp on the game. Rick said it was a game of runs, and the Mavs got a couple of bigger runs than the Pistons. A fun time was had by all!

Analytics

The game was played pretty close in most categories, but the Mavs won with superior rebounding (52-34), and better 2PT shooting. I wouldn't call this a super-tactical contest. There was a festive atmosphere, and our boys looked to be playing with joy. 

Players

Luka was stellar. I have no words. He set a new record for most points in an NBA game in Mexico City, with a 41-12-11 line, and only 3 turnovers. Rick called his performance spectacular. He admired the brilliant individual game, but even more his understanding of how to play to make the whole team better. He called attention to Luka's "breathtaking" lobs to KP, finding shooters, and playing solid defense. 

Some of Luka's highlights were:  rebounding his own missed free throw and earning two more free throws on the play; several sensational no-look behind-the-back passes; repeatedly darting through the lane like a knife through butter; drawing a foul on a three point shot; one pass after another to the basket for a score at the rim; and, six gasp-drawing threes. What an amazing player!

Seth was blistering, matching his jersey number with a season-high 30 points on scorching 11-15 shooting, including 6 of 9 from beyond the arc. He and Luka led the team in minutes (34), and Curry added 7 boards, 4 dimes, and 2 steals to his total. Rick called him a microwave, mucho calor. He added that his shooting guard was a "huge contributor," shooting, driving, passing, and making plays on the break. Carlisle also complimented his team for recognizing what a great night Seth was having, and making it a point to find him. Even when the Pistons were playing zone, the Mavericks were driving and kicking to get Seth looks. 

Toward the end of the second quarter, Seth missed a three, KP leapt for the offensive rebound, fell down, but dumped the ball to Seth, and Seth completed the play with a three from the same spot where he had missed before. At halftime, Cedric advised the Mavs to stay in the game by continuing to "feed Curry." The little guard has a way of wriggling around big men for rebounds, and he crashed the offensive glass for three tonight, along with 4 on the defensive end. He played a complete game, not just shooting, and contributed greatly to the sense of excitement in the arena. 

KP was excellent in 30 minutes of play. He played through going 0-5 on threes to score 20 points, grab 8 rebounds, and make three incredible blocks. Carlisle was happy with the Mavericks' late focus on defense, and said KP had a lot to do with that. Harp noted that the team has urged Porzee not to worry too much about his own scoring, but to concentrate on rebounding, defending, and positively impacting the team. It was hard for KP to make the transition, since the Knicks wanted him to score, score, score, but he is really getting into the desired mentality now. In New York, he stuffed the box score, but his team performed terribly. Here, he has taken more of a back seat to Luka stats-wise, but his team-oriented play is resulting in being a member of a winning program, and he likes it!

Random Observations

One bit of sad news was delivered during the broadcast. Former commissioner David Stern had a brain hemorrhage today, and had emergency surgery. Thoughts and prayers. 

On a few lighter notes, 

-- Shawn Marion chatted with the broadcasters during the second quarter. The audio was a little hard to understand, but he very clearly dropped an S-bomb, apologizing immediately. Oops!  

-- Memo Ochoa, famed Mexican goalkeeper, was in attendance beside the Mavs bench. 

-- Carlisle raved about what a great experience the team had had in Mexico City, and how well everyone had treated them. Luka-Love was in full appearance. Rick observed that the crowd was "tremendous," cheering enthusiastically for both sides, lol. 

--  Harp noted that this team is very loose and confident with each other off the court, and complimented Rick for cultivating the relaxed, yet intense, culture. As an example, Luka and Boban were seen rocking to some samba music on the sideline, lol. 

Remarks

This game felt a bit like an exhibition match. The players all appeared to be enjoying the game, and defense was a little on the relaxed side until the latter part of the game. The crowd was in party mode, rewarding every exciting play from either side with loud cheers. A very Mexican ambience (in a good way, of course).

The game may have exposed a few areas in which the Mavs might be a little lacking, in spite of the W. Andre Drummond was flat tearing them up, recording 23 points and 13 boards, on 10-14 shooting. When Dana asked Cedric at halftime what the Mavs needed to do to stop the big man, he threw his hands up and said the Mavs have no one who can do it, and they should probably let him get his, and keep scoring. Some teams used to take this approach to Dirk, guarding him with one guy, and focusing more on stopping Jason Terry. Matrix thought the team could use a bruiser inside, and maybe also a "mean guy" who can shoot threes. 

But, we don't need to dwell on the negative after such a good win and pleasant experience. The Mavs are 17-7, facing a brutal five-game stretch of Eastern Conference powerhouses. Should be very interesting. 

Next. Miami, at the AAC on Saturday. 

Hasta la vista!
Like Reply
Also fun was the crowd chanting MVP, MVP when Luka was shooting FTs in the first quarter. Mexico, just like Bo, knows!
Like Reply
If there is one negative note about last night, it is the second game in a row the bench got beat.  They are missing Wright.  He isn't the flashiest guy around, but he's always been a good on-court producer.  This season the team is +12.5 pp100 when he's in.  THat's on the front office got (W)right.
Like Reply
41--30--20. That's a stat (Luka-Curry-Zinger) that works for most nights.
Like Reply
Thanks mavsluvr! Me gusta
Like Reply
WOW.

What a game. Luka showed out! KP got it going after starting 0-3. That Luka-KP lob play is literally unstoppable. That got me out of my seat multiple times screaming. This game made me giddy from all the highlights. 

My biggest takeaway was how the offense ran in the 3rd quarter. That was exactly what I dreamed of it could be. Luka driving, dishing, scoring. Seth spotting up for 3's. KP going inside getting monster dunks and pretty fadeaways.

How the Mavs played in the 3rd was almost picture perfect for me and how they should aspire to play in the playoffs. Not many teams can beat that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Yes, thank you Slur. These are always great.

I most appreciate the analysis. The what happened and who said what are interesting too. But that info is generally available elsewhere. Actual analytical thought re what’s improving and regressing? That’s hard to find. Fish and staff used to do it. But they’re plainly devoting 99% to the Cowboys these days. So Slur, you’re the best source on the planet.

My 2 cents:

1. What Luka wants to do: Jack up threes. What Luka has learned he can do with world-class effectiveness: Drive to the hole. The double-high picks were extremely effective last night. But the reason, as I see it, is the same. Luka coming off a screen and driving to the hoop = wide open looks for someone. Pick your poison.

2. What Kristaps wants to do: Jack up threes. What Kristaps is just starting to do with the Mavs: Drive to the hole. I recall 3 times last night. Perhaps there were more. KP gives a pump fake and then puts the ball on the floor. With his stride, 1 dribble can cover the distance. And that 4th Q slam in Drummond's face? Plus the snarl? That was downright nasty.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 11:32 AM)Jommybone Wrote: 1. What Luka wants to do: Jack up threes.
I think his reasoning is 2 fold. First, he has to try to keep the defense honest. This is something Simmons can take away from what Luka is doing. If Simmons would just take 3's (and can at least make 30%), I think he'd be right where Luka is now. Luka is showing him "This is the way". 

Second, he gets tired and jacking up a 3 is easier than driving constantly.

(12-13-2019, 11:32 AM)Jommybone Wrote: What Kristaps wants to do: Jack up threes.
Not sure this is totally true (although I sense a bit of humor in your quote). I think he is still trying to figure it all out and he'll jack up a 3 because he's been known for and done that in his past, unstructured life. Still a work in progress, but he's making progress! He is still 24 with only 3 1/2 (+ the 1/4 of this year) years of experience.

(edit) Forgot to say, "I have spoken".
Like Reply
One more thing....

Can we all be done with the "let's go get Blake Griffin" talk?  If last night is any indication of where he is physically and mentally, I want NO PART of that money pit right there.  no, no, no.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 01:59 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: One more thing....

Can we all be done with the "let's go get Blake Griffin" talk?  If last night is any indication of where he is physically and mentally, I want NO PART of that money pit right there.  no, no, no.

Yep I dont want Drummond either.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 01:59 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: One more thing....

I thought about putting in a paragraph on that. Blake was dreadful. In 30 minutes on the floor, he had 10 points and 3 rebounds. He was 3-16 overall, and 1-10 on three-point tries. Luka and KP flummoxed him all night. Ceballos showed a video of Blake trying to guard Luka at the three-point line, and he did get a hand up, but was standing so far back that Luka had plenty of space to shoot over him. The Mavs had no trouble darting right past him when he tried to defend them closely. 

He looked frustrated, and as much as anything, bewildered. He was such a shell of himself, it made me feel a little sad. If I had been following him more, maybe I wouldn't have been so shocked. I think he is coming off an injury, so that might play into it. In any event, I agree. If this is who he is now, I don't see how he could help the Mavs. Hope he gets back to normal.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 07:54 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: If there is one negative note about last night, it is the second game in a row the bench got beat.  They are missing Wright.  He isn't the flashiest guy around, but he's always been a good on-court producer.  This season the team is +12.5 pp100 when he's in.  THat's on the front office got (W)right.
Lol, I see what you did there. 

The bench did score 44 points last night, largely due to Seth's scoring explosion. Although Curry came off the bench, he played starter minutes. The Pistons bench is one of the best in the league, and put up 51. I thought they were responsible for keeping Detroit in the game. 

Although there is no shame in losing a bench battle by a few points against the Pistons, I agree that they are much better with Wright or Barea in the driver's seat. Wright has such a calm demeanor, he can end up flying a little under the radar, but he is surely an anchor of that unit.
Like Reply
Shawn Marion no bueno
Made me switch to Pistons feed  Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 05:10 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Shawn Marion no bueno
Are you Kammrath's alias?
Like Reply
Couple things I like about this game and Mavs season in general:

- Liked seeing some more of the Rockets type spacing to let Luka operate. I anticipate we will see more of this in the future.
- Mavs are doing all this with Luka playing under 34 mpg and KP playing under 31 mpg. This is pretty great and shows you the confidence Rick has in his bench. Harden has to play almost 38 mpg. Mavs are giving up some wins in the regular season but they are playing the long-game. These guys will be in good shape come playoff time. Both of those guys are going to get several more minutes a game on the floor which makes an impact. Between the two of them you could see an extra 6 minutes or so a game easily.
- Mavs don't have a 3rd guy but they have a 3rd guy by committee because any given game one of THJ, Curry, Wright, Brunson are going to have a great impact game. A lot is said about Rick playing matchups with all these players and there is some of that. More than that though there is the idea that you can ride the hot hand and out of those 4 guys in particular (not to mention a JJB or Jackson who can get hot on occasion) you have pretty good odds that one of them is going to be rolling. Rick is smart to identify the guy who's hot and keep him in there.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 05:49 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
I am just referring to his broadcasting skills, not his plus/minus  Smile
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 06:13 PM)BolsDamols Wrote:
hahahahaha

It's too bad (or maybe for the best, depending on your point of view) that it was hard to understand, because it was Matrix Unchained. 

Skin put him on the spot by asking him if he thought the team as currently constructed could win a championship. I expected Marion to reply with some positive-seeming wishy-washy platitude, for relationship purposes. I was surprised when he said no. On national TV. The front office might privately agree with that, but he's supposed to be a Mavs ambassador, lol. 

Shawn was also asked if he thought he could play in today's NBA. He turned on the scorn then, lol. Wouldn't have any interest in cooperating with "all this load management s***."  These days, they have all these rules that nobody can touch you, all you have to do is stand around taking jump shots all day, it would be his dream come true. 

A couple of times, Skin tried to wrap it up by saying that they needed to let Marion get back to his duties, but he wanted to keep talking, lulz. Wonder if he had had a margarita or three, ha.

Good stuff from our boy, the Matrix. 

P.S.  So, why are you hiding behind this pseudonym, Kamm? We know it's really you, buddy.
Like Reply
Delon Wright aka "the director" aka "DWarp" aka "timeskipper" is missing. His uncanny cadence and leadership are just what makes this team fly when Luka isn't on the court. His game management is absolutely extraordinary.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 07:22 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 06:13 PM)BolsDamols Wrote:
hahahahaha

It's too bad (or maybe for the best, depending on your point of view) that it was hard to understand, because it was Matrix Unchained. 

Skin put him on the spot by asking him if he thought the team as currently constructed could win a championship. I expected Marion to reply with some positive-seeming wishy-washy platitude, for relationship purposes. I was surprised when he said no. On national TV. The front office might privately agree with that, but he's supposed to be a Mavs ambassador, lol. 

Shawn was also asked if he thought he could play in today's NBA. He turned on the scorn then, lol. Wouldn't have any interest in cooperating with "all this load management s***."  These days, they have all these rules that nobody can touch you, all you have to do is stand around taking jump shots all day, it would be his dream come true. 

A couple of times, Skin tried to wrap it up by saying that they needed to let Marion get back to his duties, but he wanted to keep talking, lulz. Wonder if he had had a margarita or three, ha.

Good stuff from our boy, the Matrix. 

P.S.  So, why are you hiding behind this pseudonym, Kamm? We know it's really you, buddy.

[Image: giphy.gif]

But seriously, Im not his alias. Im just a humble poster enjoying great content on this board, including your recaps, which I missed from the old board.

Regarding Marion, he did say that Mavs are still missing a piece, and he did mention the Mavs needing a bruiser if I remember correctly. Reminded me on how many posters here advocate a trade for Steven Adams  Smile

And I dont remember hearing Skin on the broadcast, maybe you mean Followill? He was very giddy talking to the Matrix on the broadcast and Marion was more than willing to oblige.  Its just that his delivery left a lot to be desired for me  Big Grin
Like Reply

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply