Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game 48: Dallas Mavericks (26-21) vs Minnesota Timberwolves (33-14)
I mean the Mavs are missing who I believe to be their 5 best players and only score 87 points. The talent matters. It wasn’t all bad. Holmes showed something. Maybe someone will take him. Green actually had a decent games. Omax wasn’t good but wasn’t bad and showed a few flashes. He’s the only guy who played tonight who I’d have and second thoughts about trading. Hopefully, this team is healthy before it’s too late. If a healthy Mavs team met up with this TWolves team in the playoffs, that wouldn’t be the worst thing. They’re not as good as they seem.
Like Reply
This game was a really tough watch. Minny was just cruising, Ant totally not interested. Missed a bunch of wide open looks and free throws. I know starters were out and everything, but these kind of games are an opportunity for others to show what they got. I don't think anyone really took it. Perhaps Holmes, who was miles better than Powell in this one.

Green was good and it is not his fault he is not a PG. I wonder why they didn't give more run to the only actual PG they have (that 2-way guy). Holmes had a solid game and THJ tried. Omax was ok. Rest was beyond bad. I was never a Maxi fan, but this version of him is just painful to watch on offense. Lost ball every time he decides to do something. GWill should be embarassed about himself. Curry and Hardy were lost.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 02:53 AM)omahen Wrote: This game was a really tough watch. Minny was just cruising, Ant totally not interested. Missed a bunch of wide open looks and free throws. I know starters were out and everything, but these kind of games are an opportunity for others to show what they got. I don't think anyone really took it. Perhaps Holmes, who was miles better than Powell in this one.

Green was good and it is not his fault he is not a PG. I wonder why they didn't give more run to the only actual PG they have (that 2-way guy). Holmes had a solid game and THJ tried. Omax was ok. Rest was beyond bad. I was never a Maxi fan, but this version of him is just painful to watch on offense. Lost ball every time he decides to do something. GWill should be embarassed about himself. Curry and Hardy were lost.

Omax isn't ready yet.  What I noticed about him is he disappears too much on the floor (even in the G-league) and then has a quick snippet of a wow play...and than disappears again.   He seems a little confused out there, especially on offense.  This leads to him being hesitant.   Right now he sort of runs to the corner and stays there.  No cutting.  No hard cut to the ball when someone picks up his dribble. Etc.   That is a little disappointing.  G-League minutes are probably best for him to get reps.   I think he should have been given more minutes last night though.   I didn't like how he was pulled so early in the second half.

I agree about Brandon Williams.   Last night was supposedly one of the reasons you wanted a G-league point guard.   The offense was really bad.  It would have been bad with Brandon Williams too, but maybe it would have at least took that responsibilty off guys who have trouble running an offense. 

Mavs may have made a mistake on Grant Williams (that hurts to say).   His offense is going to be really rough when he isn't making threes.  But what about the other parts of his game?  I think him and DFS are comparable talents.   DFS would play good and smart defense, get hustle plays and rebound at different times.  Even when his offense was off.  Williams had 1 rebound last night.   Is ok on defense, and probably bad off the ball defense.   last night Hardy through a pass a feet or two to his side.  He had no movement to catch the pass.  It was a bad pass, but shouldn't have been a turnover.  The more I watch him, the more I think I really put a priority on quickness as the PF.  

We need to give Maxi time coming back from injury.   I did not like how he was moving in preseason though.  Right now he is not moving like a rotation NBA player.   Walking on eggshells out there.   The Mavs FO better not be counting on him moving forward.  if so, that is a bad mistake.

This offseason we are going to see if Cuban is really serious about going all out to win a championship.  I am not saying fire Kidd right now or that he should be fired, but you need to have a honest conversation if he is a championship level coach.   Him being a good friend of both Nico and Cuban for a long time and players like him is no reason to keep him if you think he is not a championship level coach.  This is business...not a buddy camp.   You have to have those conversations.  No need to mess around when you have Luka.   Everything stopping this team from getting to the next level needs to be changed...no matter how hard those decisions are.  Right now, I think you can upgrade there.  Injuries or not, you need to be able to make hard decisions this summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Kidd called Luka the gameplan after the 73 point game. When Luka is missing Kyrie is the gameplan. When both are missing THJ is the gameplan. I am completly fine with a team that prefers to run a free flowing offense but a few basic concepts to get other guys touches wouldn't hurt.
Cannot even tell if OMax is ready or not because he isn't getting the ball. Same for Green when everyone else is healthy. He gets opportunities when Kyrie/Luka are out but when both are healthy he is just a hustle guy.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 12:18 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I mean the Mavs are missing who I believe to be their 5 best players and only score 87 points. The talent matters.  It wasn’t all bad. Holmes showed something.  Maybe someone will take him. Green actually had a decent games.  Omax wasn’t good but wasn’t bad and showed a few flashes. He’s the only guy who played tonight who I’d have and second thoughts about trading.  Hopefully, this team is healthy before it’s too late.  If a healthy Mavs team met up with this TWolves team in the playoffs, that wouldn’t be the worst thing. They’re not as good as they seem.

If they weren't so good, how have they been leading the West most of the season? I mean ultimately, their season will be determined how far they advance in the playoffs. They have dispelled the notion you can't play with two bigs in the starting lineup so far. And Edwards is clearly their franchise player.
Like Reply
(01-31-2024, 08:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think he LOOKS a little more out of control than he is.

I've been buying up all of the real estate I can find on O-Max island, but there's still time to become my neighbor, everyone.

In a year y'all won't be able to afford even a weekend visit.

Glad you're so high on him. I'm not. Maybe IF he becomes a player, you can save and refer back to this post and say I told ya so. I'll gladly eat some crow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: If they weren't so good, how have they been leading the West most of the season? I mean ultimately, their season will be determined how far they advance in the playoffs. They have dispelled the notion you can't play with two bigs in the starting lineup so far. And Edwards is clearly their franchise player.

A few weeks ago the Mavs beat them with Powell as the starting center. They have to prove it in the playoffs before I buy into the hype. As far as I can tell a team that can run the pick and roll and force Gobert/Towns to defend the perimeter is going to create a lot of trouble for them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: A few weeks ago the Mavs beat them with Powell as the starting center. They have to prove it in the playoffs before I buy into the hype. As far as I can tell a team that can run the pick and roll and force Gobert/Towns to defend the perimeter is going to create a lot of trouble for them.

Maybe. Remains to be seen however. I'll bet a lot of their 34 wins have came against teams that run P&R. Everyone runs it, especially if they have a pair or three dynamic players.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:35 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Glad you're so high on him. I'm not. Maybe IF he becomes a player, you can save and refer back to this post and say I told ya so. I'll gladly eat some crow.

Omax is a project. He's an exciting one, but he's not anyone I see as a rotation player anytime soon or even next year. He's a freak athletically, but super raw.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd called Luka the gameplan after the 73 point game. When Luka is missing Kyrie is the gameplan. When both are missing THJ is the gameplan. I am completly fine with a team that prefers to run a free flowing offense but a few basic concepts to get other guys touches wouldn't hurt.
Cannot even tell if OMax is ready or not because he isn't getting the ball. Same for Green when everyone else is healthy. He gets opportunities when Kyrie/Luka are out but when both are healthy he is just a hustle guy.

Hopeless... Those crazy dribbles and passes. Most of the times looks like they outrun the basketball.
Like Reply
I think we learned an important lesson from this particular game.  If we have to play the Timberwolves in a 7-game series without Luka, Kyrie, Lively, DJJ and Exum, we would have very little hope of winning.
[-] The following 5 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 11:06 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think we learned an important lesson from this particular game.  If we have to play the Timberwolves in a 7-game series without Luka, Kyrie, Lively, DJJ and Exum, we would have very little hope of winning.

Even with all of our guys, we dont stand a chance against them in a 7 game series. 

I dont see this team making it past the 1st round anyway, but Minnesota is a terrible matchup for our tiny non-rebounding team.

And then who is going to stop Ant from going for 35 a game?
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 09:19 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Maybe. Remains to be seen however. I'll bet a lot of their 34 wins have came against teams that run P&R. Everyone runs it, especially if they have a pair or three dynamic players.

What do you mean by it remains to be seen? This has been the same song and dance for every Rudy Gobert team for his entire career. Dominant regular season performance and then an epic playoff collapse against teams with a strong PnR player.

You cannot play Rudy Gobert against Shai, Luka, Harden, Steph, and Fox. He will absolutely be played off the floor. Then it comes down to KAT and Reid to try and salvage things and teams will just pick on KAT until he can't move.

Edwards is the X-Factor, but I really have to believe to see it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:35 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Glad you're so high on him. I'm not. Maybe IF he becomes a player, you can save and refer back to this post and say I told ya so. I'll gladly eat some crow.

I doubt I'll even remember your current O-Max take. 

I'm not really an "I told you so" type of dude. I'm not sure why you felt the need even to make this statement AT me. I don't need everyone or even anyone to agree with me.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 09:32 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Omax is a project. He's an exciting one, but he's not anyone I see as a rotation player anytime soon or even next year. He's a freak athletically, but super raw.

I've maintained that since he was sent from the Kings with Holmes. Some on here think he was going to play valuable minutes from the jump. I hope he shows improvement, they need big wings, but as of now I don't see it. Hope he proves me wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: If they weren't so good, how have they been leading the West most of the season? I mean ultimately, their season will be determined how far they advance in the playoffs. They have dispelled the notion you can't play with two bigs in the starting lineup so far. And Edwards is clearly their franchise player.

I just think a modern team that plays one big and has a versatile roster, with a real superstar (Ant ain’t that) will get the best of them. I’m not saying it’s the Mavs, even if healthy, but I’d rather play Minny than say OKC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply