Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 39: New York Knicks (22-15) vs Dallas Mavericks (22-16)
(01-11-2024, 09:49 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: We have some sort of Luka problem, whether it´s an actual on court compatibilty or just a mental application of some other players, when Luka is IN/OUT.

This is 1,000,000% a coaching issue. Talk to your guys. Talk to Luka. Not rocket science that you don't let that issue continue, but fix it. 

Oh, that's right, we objectively have a bottom five coach. Never mind.

(01-11-2024, 11:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He must be bad have screwed Kidd's girlfriend, dude. You’re gonna have to wrap your head around it.

FIFY
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Curious to know how many games the Mavs won with Green taking more than 10 shots.
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 11:15 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Curious to know how many games the Mavs won with Green taking more than 10 shots.

4 of 5 this season including tonight
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 11:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He must be bad, dude. You’re gonna have to wrap your head around it.

I had very high hopes for Holmes going into the year. I haven't seen anything on the court that makes him more than contract ballast.
Like Reply
Luka demands guys to be on their spots when he makes a kick-out pass. Restricts movement from the guys, most of them are at the mercy of a Luka assist. Movement makes the team more energized.

(01-11-2024, 11:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 4 of 5 this season including tonight

Confirms why I still believe in Green.
He just needs to be involved (and encouraged).
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • LifeAquatic, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 11:18 PM)MFFL Wrote: I had very high hopes for Holmes going into the year. I haven't seen anything on the court that makes him more than contract ballast.

I'd take him over Morris if it's just basketball we're talking about and not locker room presence.
Never had extended periods of time to prove what he can do. Always looking over his shoulder, and always gets taken out if he doesn't produce in 120 seconds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
Good showcase game for Green, Hardy, and THJ to give other teams good film on how they look without Luka. THJ is always going to be streaky but at least Green/Hardy play better without Luka because it's more of an open offense. That's why the Mavs need to use these assets to find better players who fit in the Luka/Kyrie offense (while always upgrading the defense too)
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 11:25 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: .. at least Green/Hardy play better without Luka because it's more of an open offense. That's why the Mavs need to use these assets to find better players who fit in the Luka/Kyrie offense.

or Luka (and Kidd) needs to mix it up more. Not taking away the Luka-centric offense, but allowing more freedom to move at certain periods of time (specially when Luka's not in).
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 11:31 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: or Luka (and Kidd) needs to mix it up more. Not taking away the Luka-centric offense, but allowing more freedom to move at certain periods of time (specially when Luka's not in).

It's going to take a coach with a vision to work with Luka and take the offense to the next level (AKA not Kidd!). But Luka has to buy in and commit as well. I've always been critical of the role players but now I'm starting to see their perspective on offense. It's very hard to contribute when the ball doesn't move and you barely get any touches. Then you might get a few open threes but you're not in any rhythm to make the shot.

We have players like Green and Hardy, who can be useful but they're not used in ways that play to their strengths. They want Green to be a square peg in a round hole as a 3 and D wing. When Hardy plays the limited chances he gets, he is also either just a spot-up shooter or gets a few minutes in the Luka/Kyrie creator role, playing 1 on 5 in a half court offense. When both players get the ball in space, going downhill, they can do good things - including setting up others. But when they're just standing in the corner and the ball is never moving then they're being wasted out there.
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, LifeAquatic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Great game. I am happy Mavs have another star who can pick up when Luka is out and that other guys are capable of stepping in when needed. Shooting 40+ % from three helps (NY was at 33 %).

I don't think you can make Green issue about Luka. He is playing a bunch of minutes without Luka even in games when Luka plays, but can still be invisible. It is natural other players get more touches when big minutes players are out. Exum for example, was also putting up much bigger numbers with Kyrie out than in. Does that mean, we have a Kyrie - Exum problem?

I also don't think Mavs offense with Luka is just standing in the corner waiting for an open three. Exum, DJJ are great examples of the contrary. They can move when Luka can see them. If he can't see them, than he a) can't pass to them or b) makes a no look pass to where he thinks a player was.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • mvossman, SleepingHero, Winter
Like Reply
One thing about the coach Jason Kidd. He is probably a large reason why Kyrie has behaved well so far. So a Hardy or Daigneault might get more out of the X´s and O´s, but they might not have the necessary gravitas to connect and keep Kyrie in check. And if Kyrie goes off the boil, we screwed all sorts of ways.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 01:44 AM)omahen Wrote: Great game. I am happy Mavs have another star who can pick up when Luka is out and that other guys are capable of stepping in when needed. Shooting 40+ % from three helps (NY was at 33 %).

I don't think you can make Green issue about Luka. He is playing a bunch of minutes without Luka even in games when Luka plays, but can still be invisible. It is natural other players get more touches when big minutes players are out. Exum for example, was also putting up much bigger numbers with Kyrie out than in. Does that mean, we have a Kyrie - Exum problem?

I also don't think Mavs offense with Luka is just standing in the corner waiting for an open three. Exum, DJJ are great examples of the contrary. They can move when Luka can see them. If he can't see them, than he a) can't pass to them or b) makes a no look pass to where he thinks a player was.

Now let's trade him for Dejounte!!!!
Like Reply
Soooo no coments from the Holmes family?
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 07:33 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Soooo no coments from the Holmes family?

Why bother? 
He'd be gone 4 days from now.
Mavs are paying a first to get him out of Dallas to get Kuz.
Just wait till it happens, someone is going to go ballistic. Big Grin
Like Reply
Love this from Kyrie

https://x.com/mavsfilmroom/status/174571...60444?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Love this from Kyrie

It also shows how hesitant Green is. Nice from Kyrie that he encourages him, but at one point Green has to "grow up" and take his when it is up for taking. I am quite sure Luka would have no objection if he did this same move without "asking for permission". I think this is a difference between him and (for example) Exum. Or Hardy. Those two would try to take advantage of this missmatch without thinking much.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Love this from Kyrie

Love it from Kyrie but hate it from Green. He is a 4th year veteran who got a contract extension and yet he's STILL hesitant?
Like Reply
Considering that Green picked up Brunson full court all game long it might have been about energy. Cannot expect him to go at full speed on both ends for 30+ minutes.

Great first quarter. 11pts. Setting the tone on defense with his full court press against Brunson.
Only played six minutes in the second quarter. Missed two FTs.
Third quarter wasn't pretty. Couldn't do anything to slow down the Brunson/Randle pick and roll but that is obviously a team effort. Wouldn't be fair to single him out.
Emerged as a hero in in the late 4th quarter. Steal + clutch three.

Holding Brunson to 5/14 from the field as the primary defender. And that includes two layups in the last few seconds of the game when the Mavs just wanted to avoid a three.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
You all with your Josh Green schtick. The kid wasn’t even looking when Kyrie waved him to go. You call it hesitation. I call it assessing the defense. Whatever.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 10:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Considering that Green picked up Brunson full court all game long it might have been about energy. Cannot expect him to go at full speed on both ends for 30+ minutes.

Great first quarter. 11pts. Setting the tone on defense with his full court press against Brunson.
Only played six minutes in the second quarter. Missed two FTs.
Third quarter wasn't pretty. Couldn't do anything to slow down the Brunson/Randle pick and roll but that is obviously a team effort. Wouldn't be fair to single him out.
Emerged as a hero in in the late 4th quarter. Steal + clutch three.

Holding Brunson to 5/14 from the field as the primary defender. And that includes two layups in the last few seconds of the game when the Mavs just wanted to avoid a three.

This is valid, for sure.
Like Reply