Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 28: Dallas Mavericks (16-11) @ Houston Rockets (13-12)
THJ only Mav in double figures and he shot 6-20 to do it. Oh snap, Omax has 11.
Like Reply
(12-22-2023, 11:50 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is definitely a DVR night and watch something with my wife while monitoring the score.  That way I can always watch the 4th quarter if they somehow manage to keep things close.

Good call as long as someone posts the OMax highlights tape.  Looking forward to that.
Like Reply
Richaun Holmes is not bad...it's a shame Kidd can't get him onto the court for 10-15 minutes every game. He is the best rebounder on the team...which isn't saying much compared to the others but he's not completely useless.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
I get that Dwight is a vertical spacer on offense but his paint protection and rebounding are so bad I no longer care. Every time he comes in, you can see the other team drive straight to the basket.

Holmes sucks but at least he offers some resistance.

I think it’s time for Powell to be in the end of career JJ Barea role of energy spark and veteran locker room presence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Btw RIP to any trade value Jaden Hardy might’ve had.
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 12:54 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Btw RIP to any trade value Jaden Hardy might’ve had.

Patience grasshopper
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Hardy played as bad a game as can be played by an NBA player. Grant was not far behind. Hardy needs to finish the season in the GLeague. He’s been terrible from the start of the season. The Williams trade is starting to look like a salary cap disaster. I was probably wrong about him. He’s not even close to rotation quality right now. I get Hardy. It’s easy to mistake a few flashes by a young player for actual potential. But Grant? What did we miss?
Like Reply
Hardy is definitely just a C&S player right now. Any movement and his accuracy is just trash. Midrange is even worse. He needs to be permanently offball and only play off of Luka or Kyrie. On drives either go for a layup or pass it out. Really can't take any midrange shots, he's just not good at them. Still think he can be ok after some more time. Maybe just a bad sophmore slump.
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 01:20 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Hardy played as bad a game as can be played by an NBA player. Grant was not far behind. Hardy needs to finish the season in the GLeague. He’s been terrible from the start of the season.  The Williams trade is starting to look like a salary cap disaster. I was probably wrong about him. He’s not even close to rotation quality right now. I get Hardy. It’s easy to mistake a few flashes by a young player for actual potential. But Grant?  What did we miss?

Patience grasshopper

(12-23-2023, 01:59 AM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Hardy is definitely just a C&S player right now. Any movement and his accuracy is just trash. Midrange is even worse. He needs to be permanently offball and only play off of Luka or Kyrie. On drives either go for a layup or pass it out. Really can't take any midrange shots, he's just not good at them. Still think he can be ok after some more time. Maybe just a bad sophmore slump.

Patience grasshopper
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
That was really rough. Low expectations going in but they managed to look worse than my expectations. Congratulations? A lot of players I could note my disappointment in but why waste words. I am sure these guys don’t practice much together but disappointed our game plan was to run the Luka offense with guys who cannot run it. Does Kidd have anything in his bag doing anything strategic or different? Lackluster performance from the coaching staff too.

Maxi was a bright spot. He just isn’t ready yet. Will it happen this year? My guess is no. But a lot of positive things. If he gets playing time, pair him with Kyrie and youth. He looks much better playing with speed and when things are hectic. Having him play in a slow pace and go to the corner on offense really highlights his weaknesses.

The three two way guys are all long shots but I must admit the Mavs did pretty well there. All three have at least characteristics of what we need. Lawson is speed and athleticism. Dennis is athleticism and defense. Brown is athleticism. Being able to shoot and now how to play high in ball is what will determine if they ever make a roster. I just don’t know if Lawson is going to shoot well enough. Probably the same for Dennis and Brown. Dennis is that long athlete that teams will take long looks at. Brown is still 22. Keep him for another year. Some Derrick Jones he in his game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
One more note in mop up duty, I can away impressed with both Thompson and Whitmore. Whitmore is younger than Lively. I am not sure what concerned teams and maybe that will play out. He had an up and down season at Villanova. He is just a different level athlete than most nba players. And he is built like a truck already. He looks impressive.

I guess shooting is the main negative with Thompson. But I liked everything else about him. Some nice floaters and it appears he has a great feel of things around him. Even in the frantic end of game he was making some nice simple passes that led to baskets.
Like Reply
Well...that was about as bad a game as I've seen played...and that includes some of my driveway games.

Game plan? We don't need no stinkin' game plan.

At least we got to see some new faces on the court for extended times. Unfortunate for Jaden Hardy.

Bright spots! Holmes can still play a bit. Omax is getting more comfortable. Dexter Dennis was a surprise, but I liked it. Lawson was...ok.

I really hope we see a different game Saturday night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 07:35 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  
Maxi was a bright spot.  He just isn’t ready yet.  Will it happen this year?  My guess is no.  But a lot of positive things. If he gets playing time, pair him with Kyrie and youth.  He looks much better playing with speed and when things are hectic.  Having him play in a slow pace and go to the corner on offense really highlights his weaknesses. 

I assume you meant OMax.  I think you are correct here.  He's kind of the anti-Hardy.  When you try to force Hardy to do things he can't, he tends to disappoint.  Dallas has probably ruined his trade value trying to turn him into a 5 tool guy when he's much more limited than that.  They need to find his niche skill and build on that because right now he does nothing particularly well...master of none.

OMax on the other hand needs to be forced to do things other than standing in the corner.  He's shown an ability to get to the hole going back to the summer.  I'm not saying we should try to make him a ball handler.  But there are ways to design plays to take greater advantage of what he does best.

Right now we have three imperfect solutions at the four.  Until we can rely on his outside shot, OMax would be better served in a 5-out lineup (which we don't have available to us without Maxi at center or some center with an outside shot who isn't on the team yet).  DJJ is probably better as the third biggest guy on the court rather than the second.  He can guard up or down, but doesn't have the heft or rebounding to be our primary solution at the four.  And GWill...as I've said for a very long time...he's a bench player.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, Chicagojk
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 09:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I assume you meant OMax.  I think you are correct here.  He's kind of the anti-Hardy.  When you try to force Hardy to do things he can't, he tends to disappoint.  Dallas has probably ruined his trade value trying to turn him into a 5 tool guy when he's much more limited than that.  They need to find his niche skill and build on that because right now he does nothing particularly well...master of none.

OMax on the other hand needs to be forced to do things other than standing in the corner.  He's shown an ability to get to the hole going back to the summer.  I'm not saying we should try to make him a ball handler.  But there are ways to design plays to take greater advantage of what he does best.

Right now we have three imperfect solutions at the four.  Until we can rely on his outside shot, OMax would be better served in a 5-out lineup (which we don't have available to us without Maxi at center or some center with an outside shot who isn't on the team yet).  DJJ is probably better as the third biggest guy on the court rather than the second.  He can guard up or down, but doesn't have the heft or rebounding to be our primary solution at the four.  And GWill...as I've said for a very long time...he's a bench player.

Yep, I meant OMAX.  I agree with your thoughts on him.

Hardy has really disappointed me.  Last nights game was similar to the games where he played last year where he could get 15-25 points.  IE games that don't matter.   His three percentage is down and he has been terrible finishing in the lane.  He also really struggles when he needs to initiate.  That is something he will need to get better at to be a long term NBA player.  Right now though he is better playing off ball.   The other parts of his game really need to improve.  I am hoping that this is the normal progression for a guy who has only known one way to play ball his whole life.  He needs to be better though.   Teams won't wait forever or a undersized score first guard.

I think I am almost there with your Grant Williams take from earlier in the year.  I assume there will be games where he hits 5 threes and looks great.  Not sure there is enough to count on him as a starter though when the shot is not falling.   May be best as a top 8 guy.   

It really is so important that the Mavs hit on that wing they are looking for in the trade market.   This player needs to be very skilled to mix and match with our other odd parts.   The issue is everyone in the league are looking at these players.   We won't be able to keep all of them but you see how some of our parts really start to work if we get that trade right.   Lively is more, but with him, OMAX, Green, Williams, Exum, Jones you see a group of guys who fill out the roster if you hit on that trade part.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Haven’t watched yet but going to the game tonight. Looks like no Luka again ?. Dennis scored some points last night. Any chance he fills in well for anyone on the roster we might trade?
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 12:45 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I get that Dwight is a vertical spacer on offense but his paint protection and rebounding are so bad I no longer care. Every time he comes in, you can see the other team drive straight to the basket.

Holmes sucks but at least he offers some resistance.

I think it’s time for Powell to be in the end of career JJ Barea role of energy spark and veteran locker room presence.

I think Powell is headed eventually to our front office as I have said several times. For now he is truly playing emergency minutes. I agree we need to reduce his minutes but I have a job for him. He can do what Tyson Chandler does for anyone who needs help being where they are supposed to be and doing what they are supposed to do. Title it how to get minutes from Jason Kidd. We have guys not getting things right all the time as most teams do. Powell is always in the right place but can’t win any battles anymore. Pay him his minimum salary to be a real player coach who coaches smart play and seldom plays precisely because he can’t.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
I'm as big of a Hardy supporter as there is and have been adamant they not include him in any trades. I've finally lost hope for Hardy being a big time scorer/shooter. He's just a regular guy that can't be consistent. The Mavs should have moved him while he had value. They see him way more than us so they should have known he is what he is. I'm thoroughly disappointed in Hardy and Green as far as improvement goes. Anyone not named Luke, should be available for trade if it improves this team.
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 01:42 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'm as big of a Hardy supporter as there is and have been adamant they not include him in any trades. I've finally lost hope for Hardy being a big time scorer/shooter. He's just a regular guy that can't be consistent. The Mavs should have moved him while he had value. They see him way more than us so they should have known he is what he is. I'm thoroughly disappointed in Hardy and Green as far as improvement goes. Anyone not named Luke, should be available for trade if it improves this team.

Ah! The wild swings of emotion we feel.

Next time he scores 20 he'll be untouchable.  Like Roddy B.
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 01:42 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'm as big of a Hardy supporter as there is and have been adamant they not include him in any trades. I've finally lost hope for Hardy being a big time scorer/shooter. He's just a regular guy that can't be consistent. The Mavs should have moved him while he had value. They see him way more than us so they should have known he is what he is. I'm thoroughly disappointed in Hardy and Green as far as improvement goes. Anyone not named Luke, should be available for trade if it improves this team.

Nah, Lively is untouchable too.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, mvossman
Like Reply