Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2: Brooklyn Nets (0-2) vs. Dallas Mavericks (2-0) | 120-125 WIN!!!!!
(10-28-2023, 04:51 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It was a lot of fun to watch Luka's brilliance all game and ultimately see Luka drag the team to an incredible, dramatic victory.

However, it is a message board where we discuss the team and the games.

Everyone not named Luka struggled to contribute positively last night.  Coaching is also a problem on this team as our best players often don't play.  While it is amazing to win in dramatic fashion, the Nets are a very middling team and we required some Luka wizardry to defeat them.  They were also missing two of their best players-  Claxton and Cam Johnson.

We can all enjoy the win but still express concerns.  That shouldn't take away from your happiness at the victory.  I'm happy too.  I'm also concerned though about our roster and especially our coaching.  I think all fans should be.

Ok I hear you and I’ve heard this position on this board many times. I have a solution in two parts. When I still had season tickets thru 2014 I used to listen to Randy Gallaway. He had over reaction Monday. The key to this show was everything was based on win or lose. When Mavs win we place strong emphasis on the positives and pick the team apart with constructive criticism after losses. This solves what some including me are frustrated with by putting a guiding rule in place. When the game is over and we win it’s over reaction Monday on positive observations and the same when we lose about constructive observations. PS. During the game I don’t see any way to solve frustration posting. I simply decide to watch on League Pass and read later.

Part 2. Some are using a lot of hate toward certain players coaches etc. That aspect of this board that has been a part of this board for many years but needs to be toned down or at least stopped after wins. This is also true about those times we fall into spats simply trying to prove our position directly against another Maverick fan. Both of these dynamics have cost all of us many valued poster’s including potentially at least 3 today. 

Killer has been doing a great job of leading us toward a better board. Let’s follow his example. One example is give our beloved Champion Mr. Jason Kidd another chance.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • DallasMaverick, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 04:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Simmons looked more like a basketball than he has in the last 2 years. 

But he still looked pretty bad most of the time. He had some nice moments, some nice defense too at times.

Simmons is easily the best Luka defender in the entire league IMO, and that's been the case since Luka's rookie season.
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 05:50 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Ok I hear you and I’ve heard this position on this board many times. I have a solution in two parts. When I still had season tickets thru 2014 I used to listen to Randy Gallaway. He had over reaction Monday. The key to this show was everything was based on win or lose.  When Mavs win we place strong emphasis on the positives and pick the team apart with constructive criticism after losses. This solves what some including me are frustrated with by putting a guiding rule in place. When the game is over and we win it’s over reaction Monday on positive observations and the same when we lose about constructive observations. PS. During the game I don’t see any way to solve frustration posting. I simply decide to watch on League Pass and read later.

Part 2. Some are using a lot of hate toward certain players coaches etc. That aspect of this board that has been a part of this board for many years but needs to be toned down or at least stopped after wins. This is also true about those times we fall into spats simply trying to prove our position directly against another Maverick fan. Both of these dynamics have cost all of us many valued poster’s including potentially at least 3 today. 

Killer has been doing a great job of leading us toward a better board. Let’s follow his example. One example is give our beloved Champion Mr. Jason Kidd another chance.

You seem like a nice person and I bet you're a great neighbor.  Anyway, I appreciate your proposal and general positivity.  However, I think message board behavior probably can't be manipulated by kindness and decency.  I also think the arguments on message boards are what is entertaining.  If everyone agrees with everything, then I don't really want to participate.  

I will try to be a bit more positive in my analysis of the players post-victory.  In my short time posting, I have generally defended the players that other posters roast-  Dwight Powell and THJ.  I was also a big advocate of signing DJJ so I'll defend that player as well.  I think it's still fair to criticize individual player performance after a game though.  These are professionals and not our children.   I don't think I'll be able to say a lot of nice things about Jason Kidd though without lying.  I think he's proven to be one of the 3 worst coaches in the NBA and he's separating himself from that pack so far this season with his lineup decisions.

Anyway, I appreciate your response and hope you maintain your positivity even after the inevitable losses.  It is definitely welcome here.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I love the cordial exchanges on what we want to see.

I will say that the general negativity isn't isolated to this Mavs board. Reddit posted their own grievances saying much of the same here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme..._too_much/

Quote:Been in mavs reddit for a long time and the quality of the posts and posters have gone downhill. I mean I'm missing the undefeated "couch" days and the dancing KP from a dumpster memes when we win.
Why does this win feel like a loss with the amount of negativity in this sub? I need the celebration, the crazy memes. This sub is just filled with a lot ranting right now.

I just think after last season and basically the last 10 years of continual dysfunction and embarrassment, we as a fanbase have reached its boiling over point. Dirk has spoiled us. We're already taking Luka's performances a bit for granted as he is a nightly 30/10/10. 

No one is immune to frustration. I think it's good, and at times necessary, to vent out issues with a team as it leads to a healthy discussion. But a balance needs to be struck. I'm glad we're all working together to find it. 

Let's go Mavs!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Thank you surfpuckmd for your well considered response. I appreciate your efforts especially your willingness to stay a bit more positive in your analysis after games. I agree that arguing points can be an essential part of a good and fun board discussion. It is a matter of timing (after wins) and truly valuing the opinions of most other Mavericks fans that keeps great discussion great.

I suggest we think of the period of time after wins with fans who just watched the game or perhaps just heard about the game entering a bar where everyone is celebrating. Forgetting that dynamic is what is turning off several of our valued posters. It is time to go ahead and overreact with joy while forgetting for several hours (Randy Gallaway’s Overreaction Monday) that our weaknesses were also present in the game. Why? Simply because we won and we need wins in the worst way as we become a true contender over time.

I agree with you on DJJ. He does appear to have a chance to do well for us with physical skills we need. You weren’t alone in wanting him. If starting him speeds his development into a rotation player and it might then starting him now might just work. Him doing poorly now could work in the end and he has not cost us any losses so far.
Like Reply
(10-29-2023, 05:04 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: You seem like a nice person and I bet you're a great neighbor.  Anyway, I appreciate your proposal and general positivity.  However, I think message board behavior probably can't be manipulated by kindness and decency.  I also think the arguments on message boards are what is entertaining.  If everyone agrees with everything, then I don't really want to participate.  

I will try to be a bit more positive in my analysis of the players post-victory.  In my short time posting, I have generally defended the players that other posters roast-  Dwight Powell and THJ.  I was also a big advocate of signing DJJ so I'll defend that player as well.  I think it's still fair to criticize individual player performance after a game though.  These are professionals and not our children.   I don't think I'll be able to say a lot of nice things about Jason Kidd though without lying.  I think he's proven to be one of the 3 worst coaches in the NBA and he's separating himself from that pack so far this season with his lineup decisions.

Anyway, I appreciate your response and hope you maintain your positivity even after the inevitable losses.  It is definitely welcome here.

(10-29-2023, 11:17 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I love the cordial exchanges on what we want to see.

I will say that the general negativity isn't isolated to this Mavs board. Reddit posted their own grievances saying much of the same here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme..._too_much/

I just think after last season and basically the last 10 years of continual dysfunction and embarrassment, we as a fanbase have reached its boiling over point. Dirk has spoiled us. We're already taking Luka's performances a bit for granted as he is a nightly 30/10/10. 

No one is immune to frustration. I think it's good, and at times necessary, to vent out issues with a team as it leads to a healthy discussion. But a balance needs to be struck. I'm glad we're all working together to find it. 

Let's go Mavs!

Good post. Our frustration is valid of course but is also precisely the reason why a fresh start approach to this season is so important for the health of this board which can still be the best Mavericks board. Venting feels good sometimes and is normal but can also be dangerous to the enjoyment of the board. Other people don’t always care to hear our vent. Yet our right to free venting speech is both enshrined in the Constitution and overused all across society. 

Thanks for all of your recent efforts. At least one of our relatively quiet posters has noticed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply