Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Pelicans 84
(12-07-2019, 11:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: My memory might suck, but has there ever been a point in time where the Mavs have just decimated opponents like this?

I mean I remember in 06/07 we went on incredible 12-15 game win streaks, but right now the Mavs are straight blowing people out of the water. The last 10 wins, the average margin of victory has been 21.3 points!!
21.3?!

I had no idea. 

I was reading that the point differential for the season has risen to +10.3, second highest in the league after Milwaukee. 

I don't remember the Mavs just smashing people right and left, either. I hardly know how to feel about it.
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 12:47 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 11:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: My memory might suck, but has there ever been a point in time where the Mavs have just decimated opponents like this?

I mean I remember in 06/07 we went on incredible 12-15 game win streaks, but right now the Mavs are straight blowing people out of the water. The last 10 wins, the average margin of victory has been 21.3 points!!
21.3?!

I had no idea. 

I was reading that the point differential for the season has risen to +10.3, second highest in the league after Milwaukee. 

I don't remember the Mavs just smashing people right and left, either. I hardly know how to feel about it.

I think the more impressive number is the point differential in Ls.

-2 vs Portland
-9 in OT vs LAL
-4 vs Knicks
-10 vs Celtics
-3 vs Knicks
-15 vs Clippers

No blowouts. Only game where the Mavs did not have a chance to win it in the 4th was vs the Clippers.
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 01:01 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think the more impressive number is the point differential in Ls.

-2 vs Portland
-9 in OT vs LAL
-4 vs Knicks
-10 vs Celtics
-3 vs Knicks
-15 vs Clippers

No blowouts. Only game where the Mavs did not have a chance to win it in the 4th was vs the Clippers.
Amazing!
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 01:01 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 12:47 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:

21.3?!

I had no idea. 

I think the more impressive number is the point differential in Ls.

-2 vs Portland
-9 in OT vs LAL
-4 vs Knicks
-10 vs Celtics
-3 vs Knicks
-15 vs Clippers

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPuBx0S.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
The pessimists need to come to terms with the idea that we have a contending team that's ever growing. We don't know the ceiling yet.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 08:04 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Is Lonzo Ball even playing in the league next year?  He is comically bad.  Imagine having to explain to someone watching the game with no background on the players why Lonzo was the 2nd pick in the draft and why Jalen was the 33rd.

I dont care how much people think the Lakers "overpaid", they still got a Top 10 player in his prime for garbage.  Maybe it was a lot of garbage, but it was still garbage

Ball looks terrible. I think he is not a fit in their system because he is like your third ball handling option behind Ingram and Holiday. He needs to have the ball in his hands to be useful. He might be better off the bench or on a team like Orlando where he can be the main distributor.

(12-08-2019, 06:47 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: The pessimists need to come to terms with the idea that we have a contending team that's ever growing. We don't know the ceiling yet.

That's why I am big on Iguodola right now. Even if he is a rental he could be the veteran, defensive piece that makes this team a legit contender.

This could be a weird year. Lakers and Clippers are good but newly formed. Clippers stars are injury prone. There could be upsets in the playoffs. Luka has all the makings of an all-time player. Who's to say he can't do in the playoffs what he is doing now?

Also I think getting to at least round two makes it all the more compelling for another star to want to join up with Luka in the next season or two.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 07:04 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: FYI... IF you go back and look at the T from that girl ref....it looks like she flips him off when she gives him the T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK23sg9bo30

2:00 for the T on KP, definitely looks like a middle finger thrown his way.

I thought it looked the same way during the game when Ingram got T'd up, but having a hard time finding any video of that.
Like Reply
The inbounding-off-the-rim incident --

https://twitter.com/ischafer/status/1203...28032?s=20

(12-07-2019, 07:11 PM)Jym Wrote: Thanks for the thoughtful writeup 
Really puts espn to shame. 
Note all their errors in just one screenshot. Ridiculous

[Image: fjFAyY9.jpg]
Thanks, Jym. 

Media doing game reports are usually on very tight deadlines -- sometimes just five minutes after the game. There is little time for analysis or, apparently, even for proofreading. There was even a plan in the works at ESPN to have the drafts compiled by artificial intelligence -- I don't know if they have ever actually tried to implement that or not. If they have, this looks like it might be the result of that kind of composition. 

Despite the time requirements, ESPN should be ashamed of a work product like that. Considering I can make observations on my own timetable, if I can't do better than that, I should hang it up. 

If I want to read actual meaningful analysis of a game, I usually wait an hour or two afterward, and then consult sources that do that sort of thing. Which usually doesn't include ESPN, except for an occasional long-form article. I use nba.com for game stats.
Like Reply
(12-08-2019, 01:22 PM)DrMav Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 07:04 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: FYI... IF you go back and look at the T from that girl ref....it looks like she flips him off when she gives him the T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK23sg9bo30

2:00 for the T on KP, definitely looks like a middle finger thrown his way.

I thought it looked the same way during the game when Ingram got T'd up, but having a hard time finding any video of that.
Not sure how you can begin to tell. I find it hard to imagine that a ref would flip off a player, but if one did, that would be unacceptable, and the ref should be disciplined. Since referee discipline is not made public except in the most extreme circumstances, we would not know if it happened or not. 

Having said that, the onus is still on the player to control his emotions. A guy who can be baited is a guy who can cost his team points. I say that not to excuse any bad behavior by the refs. The team can always send film in to the league office, as a basis for possible discipline in an egregious case (which I would consider any disrespectful gesture by a ref to a player to be).
Like Reply