Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Pelicans 84
Mavs Demolish Pelicans

The Mavericks took care of business, blowing out the Pels in this day game on the first leg of a back-to-back. 

Game Story

It was all Mavs in this contest. Dallas' lead was 3 at the end of the first quarter, climbed to 12 at halftime, exploded to 38 after three, and reached 50 before a couple of late New Orleans buckets finalized the advantage at 46. A good old-fashioned butt-whoopin.' The Pelicans were without Zion and Favors. 

Analytics

The Mavs dominated most aspects of the game, including rebounds (55-34), assists (25-17), low personal fouls (17-23), free-throw attempts (31-21), points off turnovers (22-10), points in the paint (60-50), and second-chance points (16-6). The Mavericks' three-point shooting wasn't terrific (34%), but the Pelicans' performance from beyond the arc was an abysmal 3-32, constituting the third-lowest percentage of threes made in a single game in NBA history (minimum 30 attempts). Dominant performance by the blue-and-silver. 

Players

Luka got a nice rest, only having to play for 26 minutes. He took efficient advantage of the time, going 26-6-9. He tied MJ's record for the longest string of games with a 20-5-5 line or better since the NBA-ABA merger in the 70's (18). He was 2 of 8 on threes, but tied with Dame for the most threes made in a player's first 100 games (235). Always a pleasure to watch.

Porzingis was 13-5-2 in only 20 minutes of playing time. He got off to a lackluster start, but grew into the game as it went along. In his postgame interview, he observed that the other Mavs are getting used to playing with him, citing their increasing recognition that when their man is driving to the basket, he can protect the rim, and they don't have to foul. Indeed, no Mav had more than three fouls in this match. KP was T'd up again in the first quarter for making a gesture to the ref, but of course it didn't end up mattering. 

Boban had a breakout performance, being the team's second-leading scorer with 15 points, and the leading rebounder at 16, in a third-highest 23 minutes. Carlisle liked the matchup with Okafor, as Jah is not super-quick and doesn't shoot threes. The big center landed a postgame interview with Skin, and said he had never been interviewed on TV before. He was a fun watch, for sure. 

Bench. The bench continued to impress, equalling the starters with 65 points, and outscoring the NO bench 65-28. Boban, Brunson, and Curry all scored in double figures. Brunson had two long threes on two attempts. Maxi had an exciting jam from a Luka lob. Justin Jackson led the team in minutes (28), and it was a pleasure to see him get a runout. The seldom-used Courtney Lee played the entire fourth quarter. 

Barea had 11 minutes in the fourth. Carlisle said that he and the staff had determined that Barea shouldn't play 12 straight minutes, due to the upcoming game tomorrow night. But they hadn't relayed that to the little Puerto Rican, and Carlisle said that when he tried to take Barea out, he received an earful of curses and decided to go ahead and let him play. Not sure whether that was a joke or not. I would buy the story, either way. 

Wright was taken out after 4 minutes with an adductor strain (groin). Rick said he is very unlikely to play tomorrow. Hope it's nothing serious. 

Remarks

Ceballos thought that the Pels' horrid three-point shooting was a result of the Mavs putting hands in their faces. Carlisle had a less rosy view, holding that the Pelicans missed some shots that they would normally make, the Mavs got a little lucky that way, and the score differential had probably made the Maverick defense look a little better than it really was. A coach-like response. 

The Mavs set a team record for most 40+ point wins in a single season, with this being the third. The team made an effort to keep it entertaining, with a number of showy plays, but there is just so much excitement value in a 46-point win. The early start time may have also been at least partly responsible for a number of empty seats at the AAC. 

All thirteen players made an appearance. Carlisle said that the opportunity to rest the starters is helpful "on paper." I was impressed with the team's ability to defend without fouling. As far as being able to draw fouls, Luka and KP were responsible for 17 of the Mavs' 31 free-throw attempts. The team also took great care of the ball, turning it over only 12 times. 

We got a little humor from the broadcasters, when Brandon Ingram was T'd up. He had just taken and missed a contested three when the Pels had a lane to the basket. The callers were trying to figure out the reason for the tech, and Harper ventured that he should have gotten a T for his terrible basketball decision on the play, sending Followill and Skin into a fit of giggles. 

Next. The Mavs play the Kings on Sunday, with a 6:00 tipoff. It is probably a little early to be watching the standings, but your Dallas Mavericks are second in the West after 22 games. Dope!
Like Reply
Dope indeed
Like Reply
FYI... IF you go back and look at the T from that girl ref....it looks like she flips him off when she gives him the T.

These refs are pathetic....I know that's a broken record comment lately, but throwing the ball in off the rim and then touching it before anyone other player touches the ball is SUCH A BASIC RULE that every one of those refs should be FIRED....I'm DEAD serious.

If the NBA was actually about officiating actually be officiating, and not just a drama creating engine for ratings, they would do something, but they don't...they are making money and if it ruins the sports, who cares.

I'm on this generally not just this game.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Thanks for the thoughtful writeup 
Really puts espn to shame. 
Note all their errors in just one screenshot. Ridiculous

[Image: fjFAyY9.jpg]
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 07:04 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: FYI... IF you go back and look at the T from that girl ref....it looks like she flips him off when she gives him the T.

These refs are pathetic....I know that's a broken record comment lately, but throwing the ball in off the rim and then touching it before anyone other player touches the ball is SUCH A BASIC RULE that every one of those refs should be FIRED....I'm DEAD serious.

If the NBA was actually about officiating actually be officiating, and not just a drama creating engine for ratings, they would do something, but they don't...they are making money and if it ruins the sports, who cares.

i meant to mention that weird incident. A New Orleans player inbounded the ball off the rim, and then was the first player to touch it. I was pretty sure that wasn't allowed, but didn't go look it up to confirm. So, I was totally confused by the whole situation. Followill said later that inbounding off the rim isn't supposed to be allowed. If the refs missed this, or decided not to call it,  that is an unbelievable oversight. Ranks with not calling Dwight Howard wrapping up Seth in the play that produced overtime for the Lakers.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 07:17 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 07:04 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: FYI... IF you go back and look at the T from that girl ref....it looks like she flips him off when she gives him the T.

i meant to mention that weird incident. A New Orleans player inbounded the ball off the rim, and then was the first player to touch it. I was pretty sure that wasn't allowed, but didn't go look it up to confirm. So, I was totally confused by the whole situation. Followill said later that inbounding off the rim isn't supposed to be allowed. If the refs missed this, or decided not to call it,  that is an unbelievable oversight. Ranks with not calling Dwight Howard wrapping up Seth in the play that produced overtime for the Lakers.

I genuinely think that they didn't know the rule....seriously.  I think there is such a large STRAIN of INCOMPETENCE in the officiating of the NBA, it's sad.

This really is a simple, widely known rule... you knew it, but probably just thought, "well, maybe its different in the NBA???  maybe?", and there's basically two camps of people...people that knew it was wrong and others that knew it was wrong, but gave the refs the benefit of the doubt thinking that there's NO WAY they would miss that.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 07:37 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 07:17 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

I genuinely think that they didn't know the rule....seriously.  I think there is such a large STRAIN of INCOMPETENCE in the officiating of the NBA, it's sad.

This really is a simple, widely known rule... you knew it, but probably just thought, "well, maybe its different in the NBA???  maybe?", and there's basically two camps of people...people that knew it was wrong and others that knew it was wrong, but gave the refs the benefit of the doubt thinking that there's NO WAY they would miss that.
That is exactly what happened. I thought, "That isn't legal, is it?" Then I wondered if there had been some obscure rule tweak somewhere that had gotten by me, since that isn't the type of play you ever see. If none of the refs knew the rule, that is unacceptable.
Like Reply
Is Lonzo Ball even playing in the league next year? He is comically bad. Imagine having to explain to someone watching the game with no background on the players why Lonzo was the 2nd pick in the draft and why Jalen was the 33rd.

I dont care how much people think the Lakers "overpaid", they still got a Top 10 player in his prime for garbage. Maybe it was a lot of garbage, but it was still garbage
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 08:04 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Is Lonzo Ball even playing in the league next year?  He is comically bad.  Imagine having to explain to someone watching the game with no background on the players why Lonzo was the 2nd pick in the draft and why Jalen was the 33rd
I haven't followed him closely, but he was terrible. Iirc, they had really hyped that Holiday-Ball backcourt, which was beyond putrid.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 08:04 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Is Lonzo Ball even playing in the league next year?  He is comically bad.  Imagine having to explain to someone watching the game with no background on the players why Lonzo was the 2nd pick in the draft and why Jalen was the 33rd.

I dont care how much people think the Lakers "overpaid", they still got a Top 10 player in his prime for garbage.  Maybe it was a lot of garbage, but it was still garbage
Yeah. I love how people proclaimed that the Pels would be a great team this year. I predicted they would be horrible. Lonzo Ball is a scrub with great court vision. Great court vision only matters if you know what to do with it. And it just proves the point that you have to at least make the defense think you can make a shot.

The Mavs are just proving with each game that they are a serious contender.
Like Reply
Someone on that Jrue/Ball backcourt is really overrated defensively because no one has any problem scoring on them.

I suspect people think Ball is good on defense the way we assume a baseball shortstop who hits .180 has to be a wizzard with the glove ... there has to be some reason why he is in the major league.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 09:10 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Someone on that Jrue/Ball backcourt is really overrated defensively because no one has any problem scoring on them.

I suspect people think Ball is good on defense the way we assume a baseball shortstop who hits .180 has to be a wizzard with the glove ... there has to be some reason why he is in the major league.
Ha, ha, ha. There's probably something to that. 

Tongue
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 09:19 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 09:10 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Someone on that Jrue/Ball backcourt is really overrated defensively because no one has any problem scoring on them.

Ha, ha, ha. There's probably something to that. 

Tongue

Daddy-Ball pulling strings!
Like Reply
Going back to my baby steps theory, my first baby step for overcoming adversity is to see if the team can close out games strong. They’ve been doing that pretty consistently, and it’s really exciting to see it so early! 

Next is to make sure it sticks with the lesser teams and being consistent with it against the better teams. The 5 game road trip coming up will be a good test to see if we can do it. Let’s go Mavs!

After that is to watch for losing streaks not going more than 2-3 games. That will be a full season step (well, for a playoff team, it’s mostly important towards the middle to end of the season, they’ve just been so good with closing out so quickly). 

I think overcoming adversity is one of the most important things for a young playoff team to learn.
Like Reply

Lonzo was among the best defensive guards in his first two seasons. 2.5 and 1.5 DBPM. 2.3 and 1.3 DRPM. 1.1 DRAPM last season.
He had the boxscore numbers and +/- impact. Jrue was a legit 1st team all defense player.
I blame Gentry and his run and gun scheme. It feels like the Pelicans are trying to push the pace in transition before they make the stop. That´s never going to work.
Another problem for them is the lack rim protection. Without Favors in the lineup Hayes and Okafor are getting most bigman minutes. We all know of difficult it is to play defense with a liablity at center.
Like Reply

I think Jrue was the lone bright spot in that game for NO. Ball seems the type that while he needs to come off the bench, his style of play is not good as a bench player and part of me wonders if his ego would allow him to make the best of a bench position. I will say, I know little about him to know if the ego is that big.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 09:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

I think Jrue was the lone bright spot in that game for NO. Ball seems the type that while he needs to come off the bench, his style of play is not good as a bench player and part of me wonders if his ego would allow him to make the best of a bench position. I will say, I know little about him to know if the ego is that big.
I think that, fairly or unfairly, Lonzo gets tarred with Daddy's brush, and people assume that he is brash and obnoxious. I don't have a clue about his personality, but have not gotten the impression that he is his own man yet. Like you, I don't know enough about him to really make an assessment, though.
Like Reply
Good insightful commentary in this thread. Let me add that the Mavs will not seriously contend as long as their starting center can be clubbed in the side of the head without a whistle blowing. The "respect" for Luka helps. But it won’t help enough.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 10:34 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Good insightful commentary in this thread. Let me add that the Mavs will not seriously contend as long as their starting center can be clubbed in the side of the head without a whistle blowing. The "respect" for Luka helps. But it won’t help enough.
There have been some baffling calls and no-calls this season. I'm not even suggesting that it is biased for or against any particular teams. Just bad.
Like Reply
My memory might suck, but has there ever been a point in time where the Mavs have just decimated opponents like this?

I mean I remember in 06/07 we went on incredible 12-15 game win streaks, but right now the Mavs are straight blowing people out of the water. The last 10 wins, the average margin of victory has been 21.3 points!!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply