Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(04-15-2024, 02:58 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: You asked what THJ has that Grayson Allen does not (actually the reverse regarding flaws). The flaw on Grayson Allen is that he is among (probably #1) the dirtiest/most hated current players in the NBA, and I can't stand the other Morris. Grayson Allen would foul out EVERY game as a Maverick.

What THJ has...
THJ has an emotional attachment from mark to keep on the roster so that he can claim a win on the Porzingas trade, much as Powell has had an emotional attachment to keep on the roster to show a win over the Rondo fiasco.

Hmm.  Not sure I agree.

Did Mark have an emotional attachment to Grant Williams because he’d just traded for him? Or Christian Wood? Or KP?

Seems like they were pretty dispassionate about those guys, their fit, and cut them loose fairly soon.

If you let the purchase price you paid for a stock affect your evaluation of current value, you’re doomed.
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 09:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Whats funny is I think THJ should excel with this squad.  And I want him to.  I just think he cant overcome the need/want to launch the rock the second he receives it.

Im actually rooting for this guy big time, despite what my posts suggest.  He has one of the best looking shots in the league...he just needs to work on decision making with the rock.
Huh, that's funny - same with me!

I too would like him to succeed and was happy for him before the trade, as he delivered in a good role for him.

However, the trade reduced his role on and his perspective with this team. While he can still be a serviceable player that is good to have for a deep playoffs run at least as an emergency option in case of injuries to other scorers, also he himself should be hoping to be shipped elsewhere for next season.
Like Reply
THJ + a 1st round pick for Herbert Jones would be brilliant.

Then sign Caleb Martin in FA if possible.

G: Kyrie, Exum
G: Herb, Green, Hardy
F: Luka, Martin, O-max
F: PJ, Kleber
C: Gafford, Lively

I would also ship THJ out if a swap for Isaiah Stewart or Naz Reid could be done.

Maybe even for Duncan Robinson, to have a better shooter than THJ off the bench.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 07:43 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: THJ + a 1st round pick for Herbert Jones would be brilliant.

Then sign Caleb Martin in FA if possible.

G: Kyrie, Exum
G: Herb, Green, Hardy
F: Luka, Martin, O-max
F: PJ, Kleber
C: Gafford, Lively

I would also ship THJ out if a swap for Isaiah Stewart or Naz Reid could be done.

Maybe even for Duncan Robinson, to have a better shooter than THJ off the bench.

All of those trade possibilities would include Nico somehow hypnotizing the other team into a trade that was bad for them. So, yeah, that sure would be "brilliant." Would probably have to involve some blackmail photos or something.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman, RGP1981
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 08:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: All of those trade possibilities would include Nico somehow hypnotizing the other team into a trade that was bad for them. So, yeah, that sure would be "brilliant." Would probably have to involve some blackmail photos or something.

Hehe, who knows? Maybe he has some photos saved from Nike parties. :fingers_crossed:

Honest question cause I'm curious to know how far off I am. If the Pels get bounced in the play-in or 1st round, how many firsts would the Mavs need to add to THJ in order to get Herbert Jones from them?

I was thinking they might bite on THJ + Hardy or O-Max + 1 Top 4 protected first?
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 06:22 PM)WillE Wrote: Huh, that's funny - same with me!

I too would like him to succeed and was happy for him before the trade, as he delivered in a good role for him.

However, the trade reduced his role on and his perspective with this team. While he can still be a serviceable player that is good to have for a deep playoffs run at least as an emergency option in case of injuries to other scorers, also he himself should be hoping to be shipped elsewhere for next season.

Honestly...Im so sick of harping on THJ that I am actually a huge fan of his.  Always wanted him to succeed.

In a perfect world he could take Kyle Kuzma's spot in Washington.   I want THJ to be happy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 08:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: All of those trade possibilities would include Nico somehow hypnotizing the other team into a trade that was bad for them. So, yeah, that sure would be "brilliant." Would probably have to involve some blackmail photos or something.

There seems to be a frequent amount of posts on RealGM over the season about Herb Jones and Jaden McDaniels possibly being gettable due to cap squeezes.

Dont bark at me for not know those teams situation.   I just dont know why I would see frequent posts about those two being possibly gettable.   I agree with you...it doesnt seem like they should be based on modern NBA need for lengthy, shut down defenders.   McDaniels can shoot a 3 decently too.   I dont know if Herb Jones shot has improved.  His offensive game used to be weak like DFS...but a poster on here claims he watches NO often and Herb Jones isnt weak on offense anymore...or at least isnt bad offensively like DFS was when putting the ball on the floor.

Thats fine...the internet can play me when it wants. But assuming this is all real...why would posters waste time discussing moving those guys if it was a pipe dream?
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 09:18 PM)youzigizag Wrote: There seems to be a frequent amount of posts on RealGM over the season about Herb Jones and Jaden McDaniels possibly being gettable due to cap squeezes.

Dont bark at me for not know those teams situation.   I just dont know why I would see frequent posts about those two being possibly gettable.   I agree with you...it doesnt seem like they should be based on modern NBA need for lengthy, shut down defenders.   McDaniels can shoot a 3 decently too.   I dont know if Herb Jones shot has improved.  His offensive game used to be weak like DFS...but a poster on here claims he watches NO often and Herb Jones isnt weak on offense anymore...or at least isnt bad offensively like DFS was when putting the ball on the floor.

Thats fine...the internet can play me when it wants.  But assuming this is all real...why would posters waste time discussing moving those guys if it was a pipe dream?

Well, it's just a pipe dream for me.

In case Lindsey/Nico are reading on here though... dear Dennis and Nico, I'd prefer Herbert Jones to Jaden McDaniels, since Herbert is more athletic and better at defense on guards. Please and thank you. Tongue

The Pels also have so many other Forwards (Zion, Ingram, Murphy, Dyson, Naji, Liddell)... so Herb could be getable at the right price for the Pels.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 09:13 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Honestly...Im so sick of harping on THJ that I am actually a huge fan of his.  Always wanted him to succeed.

In a perfect world he could take Kyle Kuzma's spot in Washington.   I want THJ to be happy.

He would hate that. He took less money to not go to that situation.
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 03:12 AM)Mapka Wrote: He would hate that. He took less money to not go to that situation.
Probably. But he sure wants to have a more significant role.

Of course we don't know if he'd prefer a significant role on a bad team over a bad role on a significant team. But the more significant the team gets, the more he should like it.
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 03:12 AM)Mapka Wrote: He would hate that. He took less money to not go to that situation.

I cant argue against your post since I have heard that he did do that.

There is so much I want to say but it becomes across as THJ bashing.

All I will say is that his regular season behavior does not suggest he wants to play winning ball, nor not want to be a part of the headlining show.

He has a demoralizing shot, the guy can shoot the rock...just wish he would choose/think pass over taking so many contested shots.
Like Reply
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Anfernee Simons is tired of losing

“We don't want to have another year like this. My sixth year is done now, going into year seven, I want to have the opportunity to win.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...-offseason

Via Pincus:

"Many sources around the NBA believe Trae Young will be on the move this summer — assuming Atlanta can find a buyer. “It’s difficult to win with a player like Trae. He needs to be the best player on your team, but he’s not at that top-tier level,” an Eastern Conference executive said. Dejounte Murray was the one dangled ahead of the trade deadline, but he played himself back into the Hawks’ plans.

Trae brings more star power in name, though many in NBA circles prefer Murray as a player.

The wild card might be the Detroit Pistons, who “need to do something,” per multiple competing executives. Trae is not the kind of point guard Detroit head coach Monty Williams tends to prefer, but conflict can sometimes lead to strange results."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 09:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Anfernee Simons is tired of losing

“We don't want to have another year like this. My sixth year is done now, going into year seven, I want to have the opportunity to win.”

Now THAT is the perfect THJ replacement. He’s overqualified for it and neither he nor Portland would be very agreeable. But he would be great as the 3rd scorer.
Like Reply
@ShamsCharania
Bucks’ Bobby Portis on @Stadium: “When I got hints of it, I’m like, ain’t no way I’m getting traded for...excuse my French, that’s my guy, I love competing against him...but I shouldn’t get traded for Grant Williams. That don’t even sound right.”

Bobby Portis is even dogging on Grant sheesh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 12:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @ShamsCharania
Bucks’ Bobby Portis on @Stadium: “When I got hints of it, I’m like, ain’t no way I’m getting traded for...excuse my French, that’s my guy, I love competing against him...but I shouldn’t get traded for Grant Williams. That don’t even sound right.”

That is harsh.  To be honest, I'm glad we went the PJ route.  This team desperately needed a long term PF solution and Portis was not going to be that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • youzigizag
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 08:41 AM)youzigizag Wrote: I cant argue against your post since I have heard that he did do that.

There is so much I want to say but it becomes across as THJ bashing.

All I will say is that his regular season behavior does not suggest he wants to play winning ball, nor not want to be a part of the headlining show.

He has a demoralizing shot, the guy can shoot the rock...just wish he would choose/think pass over taking so many contested shots.

He believes in his own shot for sure.

But he seems to play much more in his flow with better teammates.

I don't watch every game, but what I have seen of him was mostly hitting a lot of shots or at least trying to mix it up.
Like Reply
I think THJ MIGHT be open to moving to a "get my shot" situation. He is an expiring contract and the best way to get paid on his next contract is to put up the numbers that say he is a solid #2 scoring threat. I would have rather that happen here over the last 2 seasons, but neither efficiency nor consistency is on his calling card. He needs to be in a situation where production trumps efficiency and the team does not suffer from his confidence. That is unfortunately not a team with Luka, Kyrie and our bigs. Shots do not gravitate to him as they have and his shooting (already on the border of average quality) dropped. I do appreciate THJ, but I also appreciate the fact that his salary cannot simply evaporate in the summer of '25.

THJ has to go and produce a return. How big a return that can be is the question. Bubble Timmy might be a revelation on all fronts.
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 12:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @ShamsCharania

Zero defense playing Portis isn’t good enough to be slagging anyone in the NBA. Dude is ideally a bench player, just like Grant Williams. PJ is so much better.
Like Reply
(04-16-2024, 02:42 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I think THJ MIGHT be open to moving to a "get my shot" situation. He is an expiring contract and the best way to get paid on his next contract is to put up the numbers that say he is a solid #2 scoring threat. I would have rather that happen here over the last 2 seasons, but neither efficiency nor consistency is on his calling card. He needs to be in a situation where production trumps efficiency and the team does not suffer from his confidence. Tha, Kyrie and our bigs. Shots do not gravitate to him as they have and his shooting (already on the border of average quality) dropped. I do at is unfortunately not a team with Lukappreciate THJ, but I also appreciate the fact that his salary cannot simply evaporate in the summer of '25.

PREACH IT, BABY!
Like Reply