Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Keep Eye on PG13 This Offseason
I need a place to start working out trade ideas since the other trade ideas thread was archived!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Naz Reid
Like Reply
Also, can we steal Cam Johnson away from the Nets in a sign and trade? If they decide to do a full rebuild I wonder if they will want to pay him.

Free agency is only 5 months away. Crazy how fast it sneaks up on you.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:40 AM)loki Wrote: Also, can we steal Cam Johnson away from the Nets in a sign and trade? If they decide to do a full rebuild I wonder if they will want to pay him.

Free agency is only 5 months away. Crazy how fast it sneaks up on you.

They aren't going to rebuild in the way you're talking about, I don't think. Houston has all of what would be their lottery picks. 

I think moving forward, they'll either feature him or use him in a package to acquire a player they can feature. The role player bones of a good team are still there. Heck, they'll probably still make the playoffs.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, loki, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:41 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: They aren't going to rebuild in the way you're talking about, I don't think. Houston has all of what would be their lottery picks. 

I think moving forward, they'll either feature him or use him in a package to acquire a player they can feature. The role player bones of a good team are still there. Heck, they'll probably still make the playoffs.

Cam Thomas last 10 games: 25 PPG on 50/48/91 shooting. I mean that is kinda good for a 21 year old. Who knows what Mikael Bridges can do with more scoring responsibility, maybe 20 PPG. If Thomas/Bridges can establish themselves as 20 PPG scorers, plus Dinwiddie and lots of great defensive players, yeah.
I say they did pretty well in their recovery process, obviously helped by the internal growth of Thomas/Claxton.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, MFFL
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/4175593/2023/02/...ine-tiers/

Good read from one man's perspective.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:59 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Cam Thomas last 10 games: 25 PPG on 50/48/91 shooting. I mean that is kinda good for a 21 year old. Who knows what Mikael Bridges can do with more scoring responsibility, maybe 20 PPG. If Thomas/Bridges can establish themselves as 20 PPG scorers, plus Dinwiddie and lots of great defensive players, yeah.
I say they did pretty well in their recovery process, obviously helped by the internal growth of Thomas/Claxton.

Plus, even if you think the suns are the favorites in the west now, which I do, the chances of some of those 4 picks being good ones in the fairly new future is pretty high, I'd say.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:41 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: They aren't going to rebuild in the way you're talking about, I don't think. Houston has all of what would be their lottery picks. 

Good point, forgot about their pick situation
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:31 AM)loki Wrote: Naz Reid

A pipe dream.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...50981?s=46&t=5WHeaDj3w1e-toDwAI7a1w

Have you guys noticed this?

Apparently Larry Nance Jr. posted an anniversary pic of the day he and CJ were traded and tagged him saying "not a bad day eh?"

Now you have this, and also the report that Jerami Grant isn't set on signing his max extension in Portland.

I wonder what's going on in Portland.

[Image: FWrT47lXoAcIF9l?format=jpg&name=900x900]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
A lot depends on the trades we plan to do. I think by far the biggest need is a 2-way (preferably big) wing. This is the player you spend your asset(s) on, imho. Based on our assets it won't be not even a near star player (Bridges, Anunoby, types). Someone solid, above MLE level, but not really elite. This would be White or Brogdon types on big wing position. Like Denver and Aaron Gordon move. These are also the players everyone is looking for, so it is difficult to project who might be possible. SnT will be probably difficult, although it is not impossible if Wood is not retained. Perhaps easiest target would be someone still on his rookie contract who is not yet there but shows some promise. Kenyon Martin, Patrick Williams,...  One alternative is to target Thybulle with rMLE if he doesn't raise his value. 

Second need is the 3rd PG. rMLE could be in play for this. Center position depends on Wood. If he stays this is the position that is fully covered already (Powell, Wood, Maxi, McGee). If not, we could be looking for an upgrade.
Like Reply
Lets assume Kyrie works out here and is sane and then is resigned.   Do you expect the Mavs to use both first round picks and other assets for an all star type player.  Or now that they have two elite players, they look to break up the picks for good solid starters?
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:10 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jerami Grant

He is my pipe dream. I think he would be an awesome third player next to Kyrie and Luka. But, SnT would be needed.

(02-10-2023, 11:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Do you expect the Mavs to use both first round picks and other assets for an all star type player.

I don't think they can get one with that package. I think a "third banana" is what you can aim at. And it might cost both picks.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:14 AM)omahen Wrote: He is my pipe dream. I think he would be an awesome third player next to Kyrie and Luka. But, SnT would be needed.

I don't think they can get one with that package. I think a "third banana" is what you can aim at. And it might cost both picks.

Agreed on both counts. Grant would be amazing.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:05 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: A pipe dream.

His numbers are similar to Hartenstein last season who got 2 years $16m. That's more than the taxpayer mid level, but not a lot more. Doubt he re-signs in Minnesota to play behind Towns and Gobert, so there might be a way to pull something off.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:13 AM)omahen Wrote: . Perhaps easiest target would be someone still on his rookie contract who is not yet there but shows some promise. Kenyon Martin, Patrick Williams,...  One alternative is to target Thybulle with rMLE if he doesn't raise his value. 

Second need is the 3rd PG. rMLE could be in play for this. Center position depends on Wood. If he stays this is the position that is fully covered already (Powell, Wood, Maxi, McGee). If not, we could be looking for an upgrade.

The going nowhere Bulls played Patrick Williams 14 minutes last night. He started and I don't believe he was hurt.  Still only 21.

Patrick Williams and Caruso for FRP 25 and 27 unprotected?   Would that interest Chicago?
Like Reply
Would we not be able to offer Jerami Grant a big contract and resign Kyrie with bird rights? I haven’t really started to dig into that but I agree with @"omahen" that he is the best target.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:37 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Would we not be able to offer Jerami Grant a big contract and resign Kyrie with bird rights? I haven’t really started to dig into that but I agree with @"omahen" that he is the best target.

I thought the Portland moves at the deadline was strange.  But with Paul Allen no longer alive, tax is a big issue with them.  Hollinger thought the moves yesterday will allow them to resign Grant and Thybulle and be below the tax.   And they may have the full MLE to spend.  

I don't believe we have any room if we resign Kyrie.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:37 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Would we not be able to offer Jerami Grant a big contract and resign Kyrie with bird rights? I haven’t really started to dig into that but I agree with @"omahen" that he is the best target.

With Kyrie on a max deal and no Wood/Powell or other changes we would be a hair under the luxury tax level but $25m or so over the cap.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...every-deal
Like Reply