Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(04-10-2024, 11:22 AM)omahen Wrote: I think George is in any case a very unlikely option. Not having a SnT option is another big obstacle making it far less likely to happen. Mavs would also get over the second apron. Other than that, THJ, Maxi, Green and Powell would be the salary needed to match his player option. George replaces THJ and Green. We would need to hope OMax can replace Maxi. Powell is a third string center and would be replaced by a vet min guy.

It's actually a 6-for-1, as you have to add 2 more salaries (OMax and Hardy) to get to the 100% salary match. 

For Dallas, it's essentially close to the PHX model, which may or may not be of interest. You have a top core of 7 players (Luka, Kyrie, PG, PJW, Gafford, Lively, Exum) which is very good, but paper thin depth. By opting for one-year minimums only on the rest, you might even be able to carve out room for a TxMLE, and ideally return DJJ. But the lack of depth would be hard, as several extended stints of missed games due to injuries are probable with PG (and Kyrie and Exum).

The bigger problem imo is the idea that LAC would be interested in trading PG at all, and for that package. That sure seems unrealistic to me.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 11:02 AM)omahen Wrote: Mavs have Luka, Kyrie and one of the centers as a lock in the starting unit. This means they need a big wing guarding best opposing big wing and a point of attack defender. The more those guys can do on offense the better. 

I like Green, but he is obviously not a big wing and he is imho also a not particularly good point of attack defender, especially when navigating screens. I think both Exum and DJJ are better in that role. Green is a better shooter than DJJ, but his low volume doesn't really bring much of an advantage. 

When we are talking about improving Mavs, it is highly unlikely that Luka, Kyrie or center tandem will be touched. Changing a bench role player or two also doesn't really do much for the team. The only real improvement is upgrading one of the starting positions. One of those that are currently occupied by PJ and DJJ. 

Mavs have currently Exum, DJJ, Green, THJ and Hardy all able to play the "small wing" position. Difficult to give minutes to everyone as it is. Hardy is barely playing and in his season three Mavs will have to make a decision to either give him higher minutes or move on. If you bring in another guy on the position and plan to play him as a starter, there will simply not be enough minutes for two of the guys listed. Guys I have least troubles missing are Green and THJ (I am also not attached to Hardy). Green might also have value as some team might see more in him in a different role. Not that I don't like him, but I don't think Mavs would particularly miss him if an upgrade is in question at the position.

Agree with your post.   Our best hope at upgrading this summer is to upgrade Josh Green.  Offering Josh Green and the 2031 1st-round pick for Alex Caruso is probably about the biggest upgrade we could obtain with our limited resources.  I'm not certain that the Bulls would accept that offer but Caruso is only under contract for one more season so it's a possibility.  I've been a big Josh Green supporter but his inability to improve defensively is really disturbing.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 12:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: The bigger problem imo is the idea that LAC would be interested in trading PG at all, and for that package. That sure seems unrealistic to me.

Personally, I don't think PG is a fit. He's 33, turning 34 in May, so not on a timeline with the core group. Kyrie is almost 2 years younger. PG is somewhat fragile, so we don't need another training room body. He definitely had some good early years, but I don't know how he fits with DAL. Between Luka, Kyrie, PJ, Gaff, DLive, Exum, DJJ and Maxi, there is plenty of offense so PG's contribution would eat into someone else's stats. And I'm not sure he brings anything defensively DAL doesn't already have.

IMO, we can spend whatever resources it would take for PG somewhere else.
Like Reply
I thought it was nubleus
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 02:51 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Personally, I don't think PG is a fit. He's 33, turning 34 in May, so not on a timeline with the core group. Kyrie is almost 2 years younger. PG is somewhat fragile, so we don't need another training room body. He definitely had some good early years, but I don't know how he fits with DAL. Between Luka, Kyrie, PJ, Gaff, DLive, Exum, DJJ and Maxi, there is plenty of offense so PG's contribution would eat into someone else's stats. And I'm not sure he brings anything defensively DAL doesn't already have.

IMO, we can spend whatever resources it would take for PG somewhere else.

I agree with timeline and health concerns, and I don't think there is a reasonable path regardless.  I do think you are kind of underselling what PG brings when he is on the court.  For a team in need of two-way players he would be a very good fit.  We don't have anybody near him offensively not named Luka/Kyrie and he is a high level defender as well.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 01:12 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Our best hope at upgrading this summer is to upgrade Josh Green.  Offering Josh Green and the 2031 1st-round pick for Alex Caruso

I could be talked into doing this same deal for Keon Ellis. 

I'm not sure if he can continue with the way he's been playing or if it's a flash in the pan. Anyway, I was watching a Kings-OKC game a little while ago and he played superb defense on SGA. BBREF also says he's been shooting 40% from the three this season.

Ideally, I'd want to have both Green and Ellis though.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 12:41 PM)The Jom Wrote: Nebulous or nucleus?

Interesting names you list there. Nice collection of potential. But I wonder. 

Having the ability to go with Kyrie, Luka, DJJ, PJ, Maxi maybe gives us the best (and biggest) small-ball playable lineup in the league. Will teams really keep going small against us in the playoffs? If I’m Minny or Denver, I want no part of small ball vs. these Mavs. I’m all in on my bigs vs. Gafford, Lively, etc. Perhaps we should be looking ahead to Wemby and the Spurs. But even then, I dunno. After years of having only Maxi who could play big against the littles, just maybe we now have an abundance of riches in that very important niche? 

Guys capable of playing small-ball 5 or at least 4 at a championship level:

PJ, Maxi, DJJ, Luka, Lively (probably), Omax (eventually), even Gafford (maybe)?

Remember that, not very long ago, THJ and DP were getting a lot of those minutes.

Thanks for the correction.  Ya, we don't want our stars to be nebulous.

You have a higher opinion of Maxi still being able to play meaningful minutes.  Yes, his type is preciously what we need, and what I was told we were getting with PJ.  Dude is just cooked though.  He's played only 22% of the available minutes, which is actually better than his 19% last year.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 01:12 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Agree with your post.   Our best hope at upgrading this summer is to upgrade Josh Green.  Offering Josh Green and the 2031 1st-round pick for Alex Caruso is probably about the biggest upgrade we could obtain with our limited resources.  I'm not certain that the Bulls would accept that offer but Caruso is only under contract for one more season so it's a possibility.  I've been a big Josh Green supporter but his inability to improve defensively is really disturbing.

I'd easily pass on that deal. No way I'm sending a 1st rounder 7 years out for a 30 year old role player, even if he's a great one.

I really like Caruso in general, but I want to see what happens in the postseason before even saying that they should move Green for him.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • Jym, RGP1981
Like Reply
Teams who could get so embarrassed in the playoffs that they blow it all up and make their stars available:

Phoenix
Clippers
Bucks

I would NOT assume that any of our young guys are safe. Yes, they fit here. But so would another star.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
We shouldn't be chasing Caruso. We should be scouting for the next Caruso. Or better yet... the next OG. Eason fits that mold.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 05:04 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: We shouldn't be chasing Caruso.  We should be scouting for the next Caruso.  Or better yet...  the next OG.  Eason fits that mold.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker is worth keeping an eye on as a Caruso starter kit. Very good perimeter defender, improved 3 pt shot. He's got one year left at $4.3m after this season. I can't see him being traded because that contract is so favorable, but he'll be a UFA in 2025 and Minnesota will only have early bird rights.

If he improves enough to deserve a starting spot he'll have to look elsewhere in free agency since Minny is pretty set with Edwards and McDaniels.
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 05:04 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: We shouldn't be chasing Caruso.  We should be scouting for the next Caruso.  Or better yet...  the next OG.  Eason fits that mold.

The Rockets won't trade us Tari Eason.  They see everything you see in him.  They're planning on making a Thunder-like leap this coming season.  Tari Eason is not available.  

Also, I admire your unconditional love for Tari Eason.  Never change.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
I was perusing stats last night looking for targets and Jalen Johnson on the Hawks really jumped out as someone that has a lot of potential. Hawks seem pretty high on him but he is raw enough that maybe he is getable with an overpay?

The other team I keep coming back to is Portland. I don’t see how Jerami Grant fits in to their plans now that Dame is gone. I have to think he is getable for future assets. I realize he is already 30 but he is a long (7’3” wingspan) versatile player who can shoot and would fit well along Luka/Ky/PJ/Gafford. Another plus is he is locked up for a long time so Dallas's starting 5 will be stable for a number of years.

Even though I feel like it verges on being too much for a 30 year old player, would anyone here consider a deal of THJ + 2 FRPs + filler for Jerami Grant? Would Portland go for this?
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 08:00 AM)soog Wrote: I was perusing stats last night looking for targets and Jalen Johnson on the Hawks really jumped out as someone that has a lot of potential. Hawks seem pretty high on him but he is raw enough that maybe he is getable with an overpay?

The other team I keep coming back to is Portland. I don’t see how Jerami Grant fits in to their plans now that Dame is gone. I have to think he is getable for future assets. I realize he is already 30 but he is a long (7’3” wingspan) versatile player who can shoot and would fit well along Luka/Ky/PJ/Gafford. Another plus is he is locked up for a long time so Dallas's starting 5 will be stable for a number of years.

Even though I feel like it verges on being too much for a 30 year old player, would anyone here consider a deal of THJ + 2 FRPs + filler for Jerami Grant? Would Portland go for this?

Hawks aren't trading JJ. He's the reason they shipped out John Collins to take over his spot at PF.  He is very talented and has tons of upside.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Just throwing this out there, if the Heat fail in the playoffs, or heck even miss the playoffs, how much would you be willing to offer for a potential Jimmy Butler deal? He's due for a max extension that will pay him till he's 38.

But in terms of fit, isn't he the ideal 3 that we'd want next to Kyrie and Luka?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, The Jom
Like Reply
I think a pursuit of Grant would be a good direction IF we are unable keep DJJ. Going back to last summer and the pursuit of Thybulle would Portland consider a route with Green and Hardy with Hardaway in exchange for Grant and Thybulle? It looks like Green will be BYC so that presents an additional set of problems... BUT, 2 firsts Green, Hardaway, Dwight Powell, and Hardy for Grant and Thybulle would be my starting offer (IF BYC does not hamstring Green as part of the offer)
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 09:38 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The Rockets won't trade us Tari Eason.  They see everything you see in him.  They're planning on making a Thunder-like leap this coming season.  Tari Eason is not available.  

Also, I admire your unconditional love for Tari Eason.  Never change.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/95/e6/7b/...3eb56b.jpg
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 08:00 AM)soog Wrote: I was perusing stats last night looking for targets and Jalen Johnson on the Hawks really jumped out as someone that has a lot of potential. Hawks seem pretty high on him but he is raw enough that maybe he is getable with an overpay?

Jalen Jackson is going to be a stud.  I just don't see ATL letting him go.

Grant is a poor rebounder and meh defender.  If we could get him for that package, though, you do that deal.
Like Reply
Don't sleep on GG Jackson. Good defender. Shooting 35%3pt, which is good for a rookie. Great size. I see a lot of upside.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 09:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just throwing this out there, if the Heat fail in the playoffs, or heck even miss the playoffs, how much would you be willing to offer for a potential Jimmy Butler deal? He's due for a max extension that will pay him till he's 38.

But in terms of fit, isn't he the ideal 3 that we'd want next to Kyrie and Luka?

I don't think the fit is there unless he can guard Steph, Fox, SGA, Murray, Booker, etc. Luka and PJ have both forward spots covered as far as defensive assignments are concerned. I'd also be worried about Butler blowing up the team chemistry.
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply