Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(03-19-2024, 02:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: With the addition of PJ I'm not sure we need to be focusing on a big wing as that final piece.  I am leaning more towards a two way player that can play point of attack defense, shoot and provide a little creation.  Green is too timid, Exum too fragile and DJJ can't shoot.  In an ideal future those three make up the bench with Omax and Gafford and we land a starting POA defender using Timmy and picks.

Agree with this sentiment and the primary pieces going out, but I think you still look for this in the form of a big wing…

(Don’t ask me who though…. I have no answers… only questions…)
Like Reply
POA defender: Green, DJJ, Exum
Big wing: Wash, DJJ, Kleber
Modern big: Lively, Kleber, Gafford?

Biggest question to me is Gafford. And he’s been the best of the bunch of late. Just worried that he could look dinosaurish in the playoffs. Especially because, to me, he looks a little dinosaurish on defense once in awhile already. If he gets played off the court by the corner 3 in the first round, the discussion here will change in a hurry.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 04:24 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I've been thinking about this a lot lately and when we get to watch a healthy Exum play I think it changes the conversation in a really big way.  Is Exum not a two way player that can defend the POA, shoot and provide a little creation?

I say this because with a team that has Luka and Kyrie it's clear that you'll need two things, a big wing who can play weakside defense, help with rebounding and rim protection, space the floor and hopefully create for himself in a pinch and the POA defender that was described above.  With PJ Washington and Exum playing and closing games, isn't that what we have?  And with Lively/Gafford/Maxi it's kind of pick which center makes the most sense to close that night.

I say this knowing every player I just mentioned is under contract next year and I would argue that the only reason we talk about getting that POA defender instead of a big wing is because of Exum's health (which is a valid concern).  But when you zoom out, don't we have the pieces and we're really just looking for a talent upgrade?  Is PJ really more reliable in his role than Exum is in his?  Couldn't we really just be using all our other assets to shop for a talent upgrade for either spot and know that we'll end up with a talented player in either PJ or Exum coming off the bench?  

I guess what I'm saying is we keep talking as if we're missing a skillset on the roster that we need to shop for and in reality I think we have what we need and just need certain players to stay healthy so why not just take the best wing available regardless of their ideal defensive role?  The only downside to taking a PJ upgrade and moving him to the bench (a role that he has been playing all year for a lesser team) is that it's a big role of the dice on Exum's healthy but I've seen enough of him when healthy to know he's exactly the type of player you want slotted next to Luka and Kyrie down the stretch.

I feel like you are underselling the importance of health. I also think we dealing with a small sample in Exum (due to lack of health). He has missed a lot of games, played less than 20 minutes a game and taken less than 2 threes a game. I’m not sure what we have in him yet. I want to see more from him both as a high minute player and healthy before I am comfortable penciling him in as long term starter
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
I searched and couldnt find the Draft Prospects thread...I searched a few pages back even...

Can anyone tell me a good team to watch(has unique style or a coach that has underdog talent playing great) or a few good players to watch in this NCAA Tournament?

Anyone to watch that the Mavs might be interested in?
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 11:10 AM)youzigizag Wrote: I searched and couldnt find the Draft Prospects thread...I searched a few pages back even...

Can anyone tell me a good team to watch(has unique style or a coach that has underdog talent playing great) or a few good players to watch in this NCAA Tournament?

Anyone to watch that the Mavs might be interested in?

We haven't started an official 2024 draft thread yet mostly because the Mavs won't have a pick.

https://www.mavsboard.com/showthread.php?tid=2709&highlight=2024+draft

dfan1998 made one a long time though if we want to use that.

UConn has some of the best offensive sets in NCAA history. Reminds me of 7 seconds or less Suns mixed with the Warriors. Purdue plays a really traditional inside out style and Zach Edey is a monster down low in the post.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • youzigizag
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 11:40 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: We haven't started an official 2024 draft thread yet mostly because the Mavs won't have a pick.

https://www.mavsboard.com/showthread.php?tid=2709&highlight=2024+draft

dfan1998 made one a long time though if we want to use that.

UConn has some of the best offensive sets in NCAA history. Reminds me of 7 seconds or less Suns mixed with the Warriors. Purdue plays a really traditional inside out style and Zach Edey is a monster down low in the post.

I believe the Mavs picked up the last pick in the draft this year Smile

I am interested in watching Houston.   Anyone know about that Shead kid.  He is a major pest in highlights.   He is small and not a good shooter, but think the Mavs need that fifth guard in case of injury.  Running an offense is not Jaden's strength.   Shead may be an undrafted kid.  He is a fighter

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/...13/video/1
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 09:47 AM)mvossman Wrote: I feel like you are underselling the importance of health. I also think we dealing with a small sample in Exum (due to lack of health). He has missed a lot of games, played less than 20 minutes a game and taken less than 2 threes a game. I’m not sure what we have in him yet. I want to see more from him both as a high minute player and healthy before I am comfortable penciling him in as long term starter

It's a fair point.  Just trying to put a different lens on what everyone seems to believe our needs are.  I know the sample is limited because of health but it's really not all that small and in that sample I would argue that Exum has been better in the role of POA defender/offense pressure relief valve than PJ has been in the role of big wing/weakside defender/floor spacer.  Both have been good, just feel it's important to recognize we have a lot of different avenues to add to this roster because of what we already have in place (in my opinion).
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 12:08 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: It's a fair point.  Just trying to put a different lens on what everyone seems to believe our needs are.  I know the sample is limited because of health but it's really not all that small and in that sample I would argue that Exum has been better in the role of POA defender/offense pressure relief valve than PJ has been in the role of big wing/weakside defender/floor spacer.  Both have been good, just feel it's important to recognize we have a lot of different avenues to add to this roster because of what we already have in place (in my opinion).

Contract is a big difference. Exum is an enormous bargain, whereas we have a lot of $$$ committed to PJ.
Like Reply
The proximity of Kyrie and Dejounte on this chart is a good reason for why the Mavs should consider swapping Kyrie for Dejounte in the summer. Dejounte can be a difference maker on defense on this team, if he is tasked with guarding the opposition's PG.

Dejounte is also younger, more available to play, and on a more favorable contract.

The Lakers could be roped into a 3-team trade.

[Image: GIcvh8FbsAA4WnM?format=png&name=900x900]
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 04:10 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: The proximity of Kyrie and Dejounte on this chart is a good reason for why the Mavs should consider swapping Kyrie for Dejounte in the summer. Dejounte can be a difference maker on defense on this team, if he is tasked with guarding the opposition's PG.

Dejounte is also younger, more available to play, and on a more favorable contract.

The Lakers could be roped into a 3-team trade.

[Image: GIcvh8FbsAA4WnM?format=png&name=900x900]

I've watched 10 ATL games this year.

Anyone willing to swap out Kyrie for Dejounte just hasn't watched the guy play. Sure the stats are there and on paper he's a good fit. But we know Kyrie is a good fit. There really isn't a single thing Dejounte is better at than Kyrie at all. Age is the only advantage. 

It's already been proven that Murray does not like playing with Trae and wants out of ATL. How can we expect him to be happy next to Luka where he'll get even less looks? Trading for Murray and sending Kyrie out would actually implode the franchise and it's silly to entertain any scenario.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, MAVS-SLO, michaeltex, WillE
Like Reply
Trading Kyire doesn't makes sense. He is the best player Luka is ever played and chemistry seems perfect. He also seems happy in Dallas and it's not doing any trouble.

But looking at the season ahead of us i can see us going only in 2 directions. In my opinion we are 1 piece away from becoming a true contender so it's going to be interesting to see if we can get that final piece in the offseason.

One direction is that we are trying to get a big wing, but i really don't see who could that player be. Maybe Cam Johnson is available, Mikal Bridges would be perfect but i don't think we have enough assets to get him.

Other directions is that we try to get a bigger guard with good defense. Upgrade of Josh Green and that we try to play with potential 3 ballhandlers in the lineup as we play in the season we reached WCF.

In that way Dejounte Murray should be one of the players we should be monitoring.

The question is how much would Hawks want in return for Dejounte. They were rumours that they don't want long term contracts, so Tim expiring + FRP works. Questions is it is that enough.

They were rumours they were shopping him during TDL, but the right offer didn't come. Knicks got Anuoby, Lakers didn't trade for him after Russel good performances, Heat got Rozier, so there were not market for Murray.

If the price is Hardaway + FRP or something like that, i'm all in for that trade.
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 05:47 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Trading Kyire doesn't makes sense. He is the best player Luka is ever played and chemistry seems perfect. He also seems happy in Dallas and it's not doing any trouble.

But looking at the season ahead of us i can see us going only in 2 directions. In my opinion we are 1 piece away from becoming a true contender so it's going to be interesting to see if we can get that final piece in the offseason.

One direction is that we are trying to get a big wing, but i really don't see who could that player be. Maybe Cam Johnson is available, Mikal Bridges would be perfect but i don't think we have enough assets to get him.

Other directions is that we try to get a bigger guard with good defense. Upgrade of Josh Green and that we try to play with potential 3 ballhandlers in the lineup as we play in the season we reached WCF.

In that way Dejounte Murray should be one of the players we should be monitoring.

The question is how much would Hawks want in return for Dejounte. They were rumours that they don't want long term contracts, so Tim expiring + FRP works. Questions is it is that enough.

They were rumours they were shopping him during TDL, but the right offer didn't come. Knicks got Anuoby, Lakers didn't trade for him after Russel good performances, Heat got Rozier, so there were not market for Murray.

If the price is Hardaway + FRP or something like that, i'm all in for that trade.

I agree.  But its like the Kuzma situation...you only bring Dejaunte in if he wants to be here and is ok with his role here.   No one was advocating to have Kuzma come here and shoot the rock inefficiently as if he is a #1.

Luka is young and they have a little time...but the NBA is getting Lengthy and I support trying to find lengthier guys with decent offensive fundamentals and decent defense.   Assuming you have one more big upgrade to make based on assets...Id prefer the player to be lengthy.  

Is it harder to find a Lengthy guy that can play or a smaller POA defender in offseason/draft?  I just assume its the lengthy guy...so I would prefer using precious assets on that kind of player.   But...I have no clue.
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 05:47 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Trading Kyire doesn't makes sense. He is the best player Luka is ever played and chemistry seems perfect. He also seems happy in Dallas and it's not doing any trouble.

They paid three firsts for him. I doubt the price will be much less than that. We would have to send everything we have
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
Feeling like Green, THJ and Powell are all tradeable this offseason. A few weeks ago, I would have included Maxi in that group, but he's finding a way to mesh with the new rotations and make good contributions, although I wouldn't say that makes him untouchable.

FWIW, I don't know what is wrong with THJ, but multi-game O-fers cant't be tolerated any longer. He should be on the cleanup squad until further notice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Murray is not the answer. He’s getting some hate right now because ATL is a clown show and has become almost underrated (whereas normally I’d argue he’s overrated), but trading Kyrie for him isn’t the move, and giving up even more than that for him shouldn’t even be a discussion, imho.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
Would love PG13 if a deal like the one above could get it done. As long as it doesn’t include O-Max. Don’t want to get Gilgeous-Alexandered. Paul George and Luka seem to get along pretty well. 

What about Cupcake? Will he force his way out of Phoenix if they don’t make the WCF? Can he and Kyrie co-exist again or is that bridge burned?
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 01:52 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Would love PG13 if a deal like the one above could get it done. As long as it doesn’t include O-Max. Don’t want to get Gilgeous-Alexandered. Paul George and Luka seem to get along pretty well. 

What about Cupcake? Will he force his way out of Phoenix if they don’t make the WCF? Can he and Kyrie co-exist again or is that bridge burned?

Ky and KD seemed to be besties in Brooklyn...even at the end.

I dont think Ky is dislikeable by people close to him.   Im not talking about fans that want to use some weak excuse to call him crazy.   Everyone seems to love the guy.

What kind of draft assets are you all willing to give for a 33 or 35 year old bball player?   I can see using role players you are trying to move off of...but I am skeptical about using draft assets without knowing the plan/window.   Will Mavs be strapped for assets after the window closes?   You would have Luka, Ky and a very aging star for 2 years.  What is the plan after that to get better?   Cap space?   Take a bad player into space for a FRP?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/realjackfrye/status/...8349519986

@realjackfrye
Tim Hardaway Jr liked a comment on the Mavs instagram that says “Trade Hardaway…"
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral

“I feel so sometimes like I’m in a Reggie Bullock role getting graded on a Spencer scale sometimes.”

- Spencer Dinwiddie on his new role

Spence throwing shade at a former teammate again.
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 10:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/realjackfrye/status/...8349519986

@realjackfrye
Tim Hardaway Jr liked a comment on the Mavs instagram that says “Trade Hardaway…"

We tried all offseason. No one wanted his bum ass.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme..._3rd_star/
Like Reply