Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Good to see those rumors about us taking on Wiggins and the opportunity to pay him 30M in 2027 keep gaining steam...
Like Reply
Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater)
Andrew Wiggins is out tonight in Brooklyn. Steve Kerr: “We don’t expect him to miss much time. Day to day.”

NBA Insider (@nbainsidergoat) on X
Milwaukee has countered and stated that they also want Josh Green as part of a Grant Williams deal. Understandably, Dallas declined. Talks will progress, let’s see where this goes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater)
Andrew Wiggins is out tonight in Brooklyn. Steve Kerr: “We don’t expect him to miss much time. Day to day.”

Milwaukee has countered and stated that they also want Josh Green as part of a Grant Williams deal. Understandably, Dallas declined. Talks will progress, let’s see where this goes.

All these reports are Mavs negotiating with "We have choices, and might go for someone different, if your price is too high.'" It's hard to know what the Mavs really want. Or how much they value one player versus another. Which is good.
[-] The following 7 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, Smitty, WillE
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: All these reports are Mavs negotiating with "We have choices, and might go for someone different, if your price is too high.'" It's hard to know what the Mavs really want. Or how much they value one player versus another. Which is good.

A lot more negotiating through the media with Lindsey on board this TDL.
[-] The following 5 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, WillE
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: All these reports are Mavs negotiating with "We have choices, and might go for someone different, if your price is too high.'" It's hard to know what the Mavs really want. Or how much they value one player versus another. Which is good.

Do you think they‘ll definitely make a deal in the end? Or is there a strong possibility that they are flirting with everybody but don‘t get close with anyone…? 

That‘s my biggest fear, that the dominoes will start falling and we end up missing out on improving our team.
Like Reply

I've been thinking the same thing.  Maybe they like all of these guys at some level, but it feels like there is probably a main target and all these rumors are designed to get the team who has that main target to come off the asking price.

Milwaukee wanting GWill and Green is so ludicrous that it almost feels like Milwaukee poking fun and Stein's planted rumor.

Edit: The main target doesn't necessarily have to be one of the rumored guys (mainly Wiggins, Kuzma and PJ). They could all three be leverage for someone we aren't talking about.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater)

Not a real report on the MIL/Green deal.
Like Reply
Thinking more about Portis. He is more of a C than a PF. I could see him work well in small ball line-ups or playing next to Maxi. I don't think he will look particularly good next to Lively. Milwaukee needs a guard defender, as Lillard/Beasley at guard spots can't bring any kind of decent defense. GWill would be a back-up for Giannis and Middleton. Milwaukee would be left with the other Lopez as the only back-up center, unless their alternative is small ball with Giannis at center.

So, unless there are many more moving parts with other teams involved, I don't see how GWill for Portis makes much sense for any team involved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:25 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Do you think they‘ll definitely make a deal in the end? Or is there a strong possibility that they are flirting with everybody but don‘t get close with anyone…? 

That‘s my biggest fear, that the dominoes will start falling and we end up missing out on improving our team.

FOMO makes you a bad negotiator!!
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:25 PM)Smitty Wrote: A lot more negotiating through the media with Lindsey on board this TDL.

I don't think so. Mavs have always been all over the place in recent years, always interested in basically everyone that becomes rumored to be available. I think it has more to do with two facts:
- Mavs really want and need a trade
- Mavs have almost only shitty contracts to offer which no one really finds appealing
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:25 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Do you think they‘ll definitely make a deal in the end? Or is there a strong possibility that they are flirting with everybody but don‘t get close with anyone…? 

It sure sounds like they are actively in "negotiate the best deal" mode - with multiple teams as possible trade partner, but playing them against each other with only one of them to get a deal -- rather than "is there anything we like?"

I'm not all that impressed with most of the possibilities, so won't be bothered if there's no deal. 

To me, the worst outcome is paying a high price for a slight upgrade that doesn't really change the potential, rather than "no deal."
[-] The following 8 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Knutsen, LifeAquatic, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: It sure sounds like they are actively in "negotiate the best deal" mode - with multiple teams as possible trade partner, but playing them against each other with only one of them to get a deal -- rather than "is there anything we like?"

I'm not all that impressed with most of the possibilities, so won't be bothered if there's no deal. 

To me, the worst outcome is paying a high price for a slight upgrade that doesn't really change the potential, rather than "no deal."

Thanks for your perspective! 

I think staying put and therefore almost punting the season, because we won‘t be able to compete in a playoff series with the big, physical teams like the Nuggets or Timbervolves, isn’t a real option. Reason is, that Kyrie isn’t getting any younger and Luka doesn’t get any more comfortable in Dallas with another lost season.

So I really hope we get one or two trades that even out our roster, get healthy at the right time and make a strong push these last 30 games!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:30 PM)omahen Wrote: Thinking more about Portis. He is more of a C than a PF. I could see him work well in small ball line-ups or playing next to Maxi. I don't think he will look particularly good next to Lively. Milwaukee needs a guard defender, as Lillard/Beasley at guard spots can't bring any kind of decent defense. GWill would be a back-up for Giannis and Middleton. Milwaukee would be left with the other Lopez as the only back-up center, unless their alternative is small ball with Giannis at center.

So, unless there are many more moving parts with other teams involved, I don't see how GWill for Portis makes much sense for any team involved.

Yes, this swap might not help EITHER the Mavs or MIL. Maybe it's just an imaginary "alternate trade partner" for both teams, being "leaked" to be a negotiating ploy on other fronts..

Personally I think Portis could be helpful for DAL. He has size, he can rebound, he can hit 3's. And MIL is apparently very willing to move Portis. That's not in dispute. 

Portis is a backup, so it's not likely he can net them a starter. GWill may not be the profile of player they are seeking, however. Green has been suggested as one who could, and I would suggest that either DJJ or Exum could also fill the bill. Would GWill be included too, if he's not the guy, or would the Mavs angle for a different salary filler (like Holmes)?

GW is the much-younger player vs Portis That may be a consideration too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:58 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Thanks for your perspective! 

I think staying put and therefore almost punting the season, because we won‘t be able to compete in a playoff series with the big, physical teams like the Nuggets or Timbervolves, isn’t a real option. Reason is, that Kyrie isn’t getting any younger and Luka doesn’t get any more comfortable in Dallas with another lost season.

So I really hope we get one or two trades that even out our roster, get healthy at the right time and make a strong push these last 30 games!

Good point about Luka.  Last year hurt but you got one year to stink.  You don’t get many more chances.  Now a year later and Luka needs to feel like last season.  Around .500 and he is playing huge minutes.  Lately they don’t win if he doesn’t score less than 40.

I am sure he notices Jalen is the pride of NY on a team that has lapped Dallas at this point.  Two years ago it wasn’t a contest.  Porzingis is a fringe all star on the best team in the league.  Carlisle has a team above the mavericks.  Two years ago it was a different spot.

There is no doubt the Mavs are feeling the pressure.  After saying this offseason this year will be different.  The question is if they are willing to pass on a bad deal and risk this year not getting too much better?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 06:58 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Thanks for your perspective! 

That has been the mindset for the last few years but instead of getting better they just burned assets. It's one desperation move after another. Justified by the failure of the previous move.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
My official prediction of what happens at the TDL.

Mavs: Wiggins, Drummond
GSW: THJ, Curry
Bulls: Morris, 2SRP’s (GSW)
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 07:05 PM)F Gump Wrote:  
Yes, this swap might not help EITHER the Mavs or MIL. Maybe it's just an imaginary "alternate trade partner" for both teams, being "leaked" to be a negotiating ploy on other fronts..

Personally I think Portis could be helpful for DAL. He has size, he can rebound, he can hit 3's. And MIL is apparently very willing to move Portis. That's not in dispute. 

Portis is a backup, so it's not likely he can net them a starter. GWill may not be the profile of player they are seeking, however. Green has been suggested as one who could, and I would suggest that either DJJ or Exum could also fill the bill. Would GWill be included too, if he's not the guy, or would the Mavs angle for a different salary filler (like Holmes)?

GW is the much-younger player vs Portis That may be a consideration too.

With all due respect, that's a losing proposition for Milwaukee. GWill doesn't offer half the things Portis does. Who says Milwaukee was anxious to move him? Hadn't heard that one.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 07:23 PM)Smitty Wrote: My official prediction of what happens at the TDL.

Mavs: Wiggins, Drummond
GSW: THJ, Curry
Bulls: Morris, 2SRP’s (GSW)

My opinion of the FO is not this low, not after this last offseason.  We are not even dumping bad salary.  Drummond is nowhere near enough value to take on the risk of that contract.  I would rather pay a first for Kuz than this.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 07:59 PM)mvossman Wrote: My opinion of the FO is not this low, not after this last offseason.  We are not even dumping bad salary.  Drummond is nowhere near enough value to take on the risk of that contract.  I would rather pay a first for Kuz than this.

Not what I want to happen. What I think will happen. Hope I’m wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
You don't draft a very raw prospect, spend his entire rookie contract developing him, sign him to a team friendly MLE-ish deal, then trade him when he is finally turning the corner and doing the things you've been expecting. None of these players in the rumor mill are worth trading Green for. Naturally other teams see the potential for growth and fit on their team and are asking for him. Team doesn't need to take a step back at all right now, they should be able to get something done with the 2027 1st and no Green. Green would only be worth adding in an OG/Siakam type deal and doesn't look like there's any of that left. Hardy also seems over his early Bullock slump and is back on track lately, although he's definitely not untradable but might be better off holding on to him.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • loki, SleepingHero, WillE, youzigizag
Like Reply