Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(02-05-2024, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: One thing about any GWill trade is you can easily go back to the summer and look at what he cost us.  You then can add that cost to any GWill for X deal (in this case Portis).   

I would assume it would be GWill plus something to get Portis which means it ends up being GWill plus something plus a 2030 pick swap.

I'm not sure it will cost much to make that trade.  Before this season they were both considered quality bench pieces on contending teams.  They are both having bad years, particularly defensively.  

The GWill trade is a sunk cost.  If we can do this trade without adding more than a second, it will be about as good a recover as I can think of.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 03:27 PM)mvossman Wrote: Would make a lot of sense for Dallas.  Provides size, rebounding and offense for the second unit.  He is not a good defender, and has been THJ level this year, but he makes sense where I can't think of a role for Williams right now.  Lineups with Portis and Timmy are going to really struggle defensively, but that probably wont be for more than half a season.

Good points.  Lets assume it is straight up or Dallas adding a second.

Negatives:
1) I hate fixing mistakes you made just a few months ago.  I understand sunk costs, but Williams isn't as bad as he has been playing.
2) Could be a PR hit moving a guy so quickly after trading for him
3) Can Portis defend PF any longer or is he a backup 5.  Maybe you can combine him with a healthy Maxi.  He may have trouble defending against those teams with 4s who can play on the perimeter

Positives
1) better rebounder and finisher in the paint....two areas Grant has really struggled with
2) He is bigger
3) Has been a better scorer over his career
4) Is a little bit crazy.   Mavs could use a guy that teams are afraid of.   

I am not sure yet.  I tend to agree with Dan that Dallas would probably need to add something.   I could see the Bucks having interest.   Maybe they don't think Portis can play PF with them and looking for an upgrade for someone who can guard wings better.  Grant hasn't been good at this at all, but maybe they thing a different scheme could help?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 03:34 PM)Seriously!Reunion Mav Wrote: No!  Bobby Portis was a heart and soul player for Milwaukee and it used to work for them. He was never all that skilled and much of all that is gone. I’m sure Milwaukee would love to turn him into something. I hope we are not the one to get stuck with the past glory guy. 
We need to use Grant Williams to get somebody much better by combining our assets or wait patiently for him to figure it out here.

Seriously?

Portis is shooting 38% on 3-pointers, gets anywhere from 6-9 rebounds a game, averages over 12 points a game.... and you want to keep Grant Williams?
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 03:40 PM)Winter Wrote: Seriously?

Portis is shooting 38% on 3-pointers, gets anywhere from 6-9 rebounds a game, averages over 12 points a game.... and you want to keep Grant Williams?

There is more to it than that.  As disappointing as Grant Williams defense has been, Portis will be worse.  There is a valid question above if he can play perimeter defense at all or if we have to play him as a center.  I think its a good trade for Mavs, but it actually makes some sense for Bucks if they are looking for more defense (and Grant has been a better defender in the past than he has been for us).
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Stein update:

One source briefed on the process, confirming discussions between the teams after this story posted, indicated that Milwaukee is unwilling to swap Portis for Williams straight up, meaning that a simple one-for-one trade construction would likely have to be expanded to include other players to advance these talks.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 03:49 PM)mvossman Wrote: There is more to it than that.  As disappointing as Grant Williams defense has been, Portis will be worse.  There is a valid question above if he can play perimeter defense at all or if we have to play him as a center.  I think its a good trade for Mavs, but it actually makes some sense for Bucks if they are looking for more defense (and Grant has been a better defender in the past than he has been for us).

He's a backup center. I've never assumed otherwise.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 03:52 PM)omahen Wrote: Stein update:

One source briefed on the process, confirming discussions between the teams after this story posted, indicated that Milwaukee is unwilling to swap Portis for Williams straight up, meaning that a simple one-for-one trade construction would likely have to be expanded to include other players to advance these talks.

I guess they saw our game against them on Saturday where he scored 2 points.  LOL

I have very little trust in our front office evaluating talent or fits to our team right now.  I am snake bit on any move they are interested in. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
I would assume that Portis isn't the only trade Dallas makes if it makes one. Portis is a mobile center, but that's his natural position. The Mavs still need a PF who can score.
Like Reply
Shams reporting Mavs and Pacers eyeing Wiggins, but GSW needs real reasons to trade him. Saving money is not a real reason
Like Reply
Recent draft picks: Lively, Omax, Hardy, Green, Luka, Brunson

Call me crazy, but maybe we should just keep our picks and actually draft players instead of trading them? One megastar, one all-star, one immediate starter, one eventual starter, and two "maybe they have something but still too early to be sure" is a pretty good imo.
[-] The following 8 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic, MFFL, michaeltex, youzigizag
Like Reply

I suspect Milwaukee would like to turn Connaughton and Portis into GWill and something (with that something being less expensive and a good defender).  It doesn't have to be a Mav's player though since we don't have much you'd consider less expensive and a good defender that we could afford to give up.  Seems like a third team is needed here.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 04:24 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I suspect Milwaukee would like to turn Connaughton and Portis into GWill and something (with that something being less expensive and a good defender).  It doesn't have to be a Mav's player though since we don't have much you'd consider less expensive and a good defender that we could afford to give up.  Seems like a third team is needed here.

Especially since we'd have no use for Connaughton.

Keep seeing the Bucks as an option for Wiggins. I wonder if there is a 3 way where Wiggins ends up in Milwaukee and not Dallas. We get Portis.  GWill & Connaughton goes to Golden State. Maybe a few other fillers and picks here and there.
Like Reply

That may be the case, and that is fine.  I don't know if I would do a deal with him if we were giving up guys I am fine giving up.   GS seems like the place you play well.  Not the place you leave to play well.    If GS is fine holding on to him that is fine.    Quite frankly because of my concern how GS vs Dallas operates, I would be very cautious trading with GS.
Like Reply
Portis is a scheme vs. personnel thing and I don't have enough insight into what the Mavs are trying to accomplish on defense to know whether he would be a 4 or 5 in our system. MIL had a lot of success playing a very conservative style, controlling the point of attack with Jrue and dropping Giannis to be closer to the rim. That allowed him to rebound and run. This year they're playing much more aggressively, probably because they can't control the point-of-attack, so both Giannis' and Portis' defensive rebounding percent has plummeted and they've not been very good on defense overall.

In Dallas, I suspect they'd play more conservatively with Lively, Luka and Portis in drop and Exum controlling the point of attack. Things change and they blitz more with Green in there. But honestly, that's only a guess as it's been impossible to identify any sort of scheme with guys in/out of the lineup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply

"We want and would expect to get more" is negotiation talk. Letting the media know is a negotiating tactic. The Bucks want it thought that they value Portis more highly, but it's not necessarily an indicator of who they REALLY value most, nor a line-in-the-sand bottom line.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, WillE
Like Reply
I'd be 100% on board with a Portis for GWill swap. I think that was a bad signing/trade and this would be a chance to get some sort of value for him. Maybe our last chance.

Even it means attaching a 2nd to do it. But nothing else.

Would they want Hardy in a swap for Beauchamp? If so, how does that swing things for the Mavs?
Like Reply
Mavs negotiating via Cato:

"I’m not sure he warrants the team’s coveted first-rounder. Kuzma is a good starter, not a game-changing piece. The Mavericks need to acquire more players like him in addition to adding someone who can be the team’s third-best player." - Tim Cato
[-] The following 3 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
Kevin Gray Jr. (@KevinGraySports)
Mavericks are in a situation where it’s possible deals could be made to take on the risk of revitalizing Andrew Wiggins career as @espn_macmahon details the Mavs looking at all options going into the trade deadline…#MFFL
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 04:24 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I suspect Milwaukee would like to turn Connaughton and Portis into GWill and something (with that something being less expensive and a good defender).  It doesn't have to be a Mav's player though since we don't have much you'd consider less expensive and a good defender that we could afford to give up.  Seems like a third team is needed here.

While I agree there could be more pieces to it adding a third team, it is also possible to look at those discussions as more basic. I think the deal that makes sense for Milwaukee is pretty simple and you will not like it. They need a guard defender to replace Beasley in the starting line-up. Portis is clearly a better player than GWill, I can't imagine Milwaukee would see Portis for him as equal value. 

Mil: Green, GWill
Dal: Portis, Connaughton, Beauchamp (add second rounders)

Alternative could be GWill and Exum for Portis and Beauchamp

Not enthusiastic about any possibility. Might just end discussions.
Like Reply
BASKETBALL ON ? (@BasketballOnX)
The Mavericks and Pacers are two teams, I'm told, that are expressing interest in [Andrew] Wiggins."

— @ShamsCharania
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply