Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
If Mavs deal Green for PJ, they will need a point of attack defender at some point. They can wait till offseason or try to do something at TDL. Based on who might be available at TDL, these could be possible targets:
- AJ Griffin for Curry and SRPs
- a couple of other combinations with Atlanta could be Hunter+AJ Griffin for THJ and FRP or Capela+AJ Griffin for THJ, Hardy and SRPs
- Grimes for Curry and SRPs or Grimes+Fournier for THJ
- Holmes or GW (depending who would go out in Charlotte deal) and FRP for Caruso
- Bruce Brown would also be a good target, but I am reluctant to send a FRP for him (I doubt anything less would do the trick)
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 05:52 PM)omahen Wrote: If Mavs deal Green for PJ, they will need a point of attack defender at some point. They can wait till offseason or try to do something at TDL. Based on who might be available at TDL, these could be possible targets:
- AJ Griffin for Curry and SRPs
- a couple of other combinations with Atlanta could be Hunter+AJ Griffin for THJ and FRP or Capela+AJ Griffin for THJ, Hardy and SRPs
- Grimes for Curry and SRPs or Grimes+Fournier for THJ
- Holmes or GW (depending who would go out in Charlotte deal) and FRP for Caruso
- Bruce Brown would also be a good target, but I am reluctant to send a FRP for him (I doubt anything less would do the trick)

I kind of agree but Exum and DJJ are already much better POA defenders than Green.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 05:58 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I kind of agree but Exum and DJJ are already much better POA defenders than Green.

Agree. But DJJ is a huge liability on offense and Exum has a long injury history and is out for a month now. Just playing around with possibilities though, I would be fine if they just wait till summer and see what they have with PJ and the rest of the group.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 06:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Agree. But DJJ is a huge liability on offense and Exum has a long injury history and is out for a month now. Just playing around with possibilities though, I would be fine if they just wait till summer and see what they have with PJ and the rest of the group.

Ya I agree with all that for sure.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 12:00 PM)Winter Wrote: Be patient for who? You need a person... a target, not a generalization. That's too vague.

I've given you two people I think are significant upgrades. The Mavs need what they have. Give me something.

I really think this is the wrong mindset.  The guys you mentioned are not turning this team into a contender.  If the price is right, they can provide value, but they are not worth overpaying.  Its a balance, but the mindset should not be that without a specific player in mind for the offseason, I better pull the trigger on whatever I can get now.  With the play-in, there are way more buyers than sellers right now.  The cost is likely going to be worse now than in the offseason.  In addition, we have several contracts that are not appealing at the TDL, but will be expiring in the offseason and much more useful for salary matching.  The options/cost should be better in general.
Like Reply
Washington for Green is probably not the deal the Mavs want. It's possible that's all there is, but I'm guessing that would be a "nothing else out there" move.
Like Reply
Did some research on Miles Bridges and I don't like his lack of BBIQ, to say nothing of the off court issues I admittedly paid little attention to when the story broke. Bridges is a supreme athlete and physical presence, but I made a reference to a poor man's Jimmy Butler earlier, and that seems off. He should be able to defend, but apparently he doesn't.

It turns out I was right about PJ though. By accounts, he's a 10/10 kid who does all of the little things. The coach commented that the team functions better when he's out there. He's a high-level role player. Probably closer to what we hoped GWill would be, than a true third option to run the offense through. He's versatile on defense, but he's not a stopper. Good kid. GWill upgrade. Better positional fit than Green but I don't like sending a 1st unless the Mavs think PJ would be a different player alongside Ky and Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 06:59 PM)mvossman Wrote: I really think this is the wrong mindset.  The guys you mentioned are not turning this team into a contender.  If the price is right, they can provide value, but they are not worth overpaying.  Its a balance, but the mindset should not be that without a specific player in mind for the offseason, I better pull the trigger on whatever I can get now.  With the play-in, there are way more buyers than sellers right now.  The cost is likely going to be worse now than in the offseason.  In addition, we have several contracts that are not appealing at the TDL, but will be expiring in the offseason and much more useful for salary matching.  The options/cost should be better in general.

I'm not trying to be annoying, but who turns this team into a contender? Kyrie Irving didn't turn it into a contender. 

You're assuming A. the "right" player is there later. And B, we can get him. When has that ever happened? Luca has been here since 2019 and that player still isn't here.

I get your point, really. The "overpayment" I understand. I have limits too. But we have specific problems that are fixable and there are players that can help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Looks like Orlando is starting to ramp up Isaac's minutes. Played 21 minutes today. Goga DNP.
Like Reply
PJ for Josh is probably a pretty even valued trade. I would pass though. But value wise, I think that is a pretty close trade in value to both teams.

I would not consider myself an expert on Hornet players and while Washington's game seems like it has decreased this year. He does fit the bigger, kinda skilled guy I am interested in. He is not your final part, but I think a guy who would be in a lot of your finishing lineups. Probably tough to get him for what I would want to give up now though.
Like Reply
I'm starting to come around on you guys' idea of Isaiah Stewart. That is, if the Mavs can also get Jerami Grant and Quentin Grimes. Then the team will have options against the teams who use two bigs like the Bucks or Timberpuppies as well as against the teams with more skilled forwards like Clippers, Celtics, etc.

So is there a way to get Jerami, Grimes and Stewart using THJ, G-Will, Holmes, Powell, Curry, Morris and picks?

I'd like to keep the others listed below.

G: Kyrie, Exum
G: Grimes, Green, Hardy
F: Luka, DJJ
F: Jerami, Kleber, O-Max
C: Lively, Stewart
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 08:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: PJ for Josh is probably a pretty even valued trade.  I would pass though.  But value wise, I think that is a pretty close trade in value to both teams.

I would not consider myself an expert on Hornet players and while Washington's game seems like it has decreased this year.  He does fit the bigger, kinda skilled guy I am interested in.  He is not your final part, but I think a guy who would be in a lot of your finishing lineups.    Probably tough to get him for what I would want to give up now though.

Agree with this. I would feel better if there was more than one player moved in this trade deadline so I could evaluate it in total, but the one-to-one trade is pretty much a non-event I think.
Like Reply
Mavs: PJ Washington and Richards

Hornets: Green, Hardy, Holmes, 2nd
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:01 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Mavs: PJ Washington and Richards

Green and Grant Williams is all they get. Heck, Green is probably too much but hopefully it’s part of another trade.

My favorite idea was a tweak of the 3-team trade Dalton Trigg just wrote about. 

He proposed:

Mavs: Kuzma, PJW, Gafford
Wizards: THJ, Holmes, Bridges, ‘27FRP (DAL)
Hornets: Green, GWill

To me Kuzma and PJW are redundant and I personally prefer Avdija who is a 6’9 SF (Wing) whom the Mavs have interest in and can replace Green.

Mavs: PJW, Richards, Avdija
Wizards: Holmes, Hardy, ‘27FRP (DAL)

This keeps the Mavs below the tax line and gives them a big defensive wing, starting PF, and backup Big on a great contract.

Luka - Exum - Curry
Irving - THJ
Avdija - DJJ - Omax
PJW - Maxi - Morris
Lively - Richards - Powell

THJ remains on the team and is a great expiring next year, while providing scoring from the second unit.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:01 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Mavs: PJ Washington and Richards

That's about right I think.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 07:46 PM)Winter Wrote: I'm not trying to be annoying, but who turns this team into a contender? Kyrie Irving didn't turn it into a contender. 

You're assuming A. the "right" player is there later. And B, we can get him. When has that ever happened? Luca has been here since 2019 and that player still isn't here.

I get your point, really. The "overpayment" I understand. I have limits too. But we have specific problems that are fixable and there are players that can help.

Kyrie did not turn this team into a contender because between the WCF and acquiring him we lost Brunson, Dorian and Dinwiddie.

Its possible OG or Siakam could make this team a contender, but we did not have the assets to get them (we will have this offseason).  I agree there is nobody left that would make them contenders.  My point was that it does not make sense to overspend in a trade unless you think its going to put you into contention.  There is nothing left (and never was for our assets) to be that aggressive.

I'm totally on board with making trades to address issues, I just don't want to go into it with the mindset that we have to.  That generally results in making bad trades.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 10:11 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm totally on board with making trades to address issues, I just don't want to go into it with the mindset that we have to.  That generally results in making bad trades.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:17 PM)Smitty Wrote: My favorite idea was a tweak of the 3-team trade Dalton Trigg just wrote about. 

He proposed:

Mavs: Kuzma, PJW, Gafford
Wizards: THJ, Holmes, Bridges, ‘27FRP (DAL)
he tax line and gives them a big defensive wing, starting PF, and backup Big on a great contract.

Luka - Exum - Curry
Irving - THJ
Avdija - DJJ - Omax
PJW - Maxi - Morris

Anytime you get GW and Holmes going out, it's already a win.
But I like the second one better.
I hate losing Green but Deni makes up for the lost.
The first one with Kuz doesn't replace Green for me, it replaces THJ of course, which is okay too, but losing Green would hurt more than losing THJ.
[-] The following 5 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
All these hypothetical trades. Well.. we'll see by Thursday if not before.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:17 PM)Smitty Wrote:  
To me Kuzma and PJW are redundant and I personally prefer Avdija who is a 6’9 SF (Wing) whom the Mavs have interest in and can replace Green.

Mavs: PJW, Richards, Avdija
Wizards: Holmes, Hardy, ‘27FRP (DAL)

This keeps the Mavs below the tax line and gives them a big defensive wing, starting PF, and backup Big on a great contract.

Luka - Exum - Curry
Irving - THJ
Avdija - DJJ - Omax
PJW - Maxi - Morris

THJ remains on the team and is a great expiring next year, while providing scoring from the second unit.

Like  others, I'm not a fan of Green for PJ.  At best it is lateral and probably a step backwards.  I wonder if fans in Charlotte are saying the same exact thing or are welcoming such a swap.  Interesting how Green is the one teams want.  Brooklyn, Atlanta and now Charlotte.

I'm not such an absolutist on Green to turn down all trades involving him.  I like what you've put together above for the Mav's.  I'm an Avdija fan and really like his upside.  If you believe Green > PJ (or that Charlotte thinks so), their part of the deal is essentially Green/GWill for PJ/Richards.  That seems reasonable if they covet Green.

Then you've got 2027/Hardy for Avdija and eating some salary.  That doesn't seem crazy either (I wonder if they'd ask for OMax instead).  

It would be hard to pull off a deal with four outgoing players in a week where we play B2B on Monday and Tuesday and play again on Thursday.  Might just have to forfeit a game.  But, I think this is well done...plus it would be cool to see a deal with two Poison Pill players.  Dallas gets that TPE I've been talking about and it drags us a little bit further away from the first Apron next season (but not much when you include a minimum).
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, loki, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply