Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
It seems Charlotte likes Green and would be willing to act as a third team to get Green. At least this is how I read it. Charlotte doesn't have some strong picks to offer (I assume they will be reluctant to trade their picks, as they will all be very likely very high picks. First FRP they can trade is 2027 - either Miami one (lottery protected) or their own.

Lets say Charlotte would do Green for PJ straight up. Mavs would get stronger at PF, but another hole would open at SG, unless Exum gets and stays healthy. I would still be ok with it. Summer target would switch for a good two-way SG.

(02-04-2024, 03:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: BTW, someone that has directional say in the organization agrees with upgrading the roster now.

Based on their success record, I would be scared of such statements Smile
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:20 PM)omahen Wrote: It seems Charlotte likes Green and would be willing to act as a third team to get Green. At least this is how I read it. Charlotte doesn't have some strong picks to offer (I assume they will be reluctant to trade their picks, as they will all be very likely very high picks. First FRP they can trade is 2027 - either Miami one (lottery protected) or their own.

Lets say Charlotte would do Green for PJ straight up. Mavs would get stronger at PF, but another hole would open at SG, unless Exum gets and stays healthy. I would still be ok with it. Summer target would switch for a good two-way SG.

Based on their success record, I would be scared of such statements Smile

I would do a Green+Holmes for PJ and a CHA first.

Then use that 1st to get someone like Kuzma.

That makes sense to me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Green could be really good in CHA. Plays fast, really fits their system with LaMelo.

Dallas' best players are all guards, except Lively. So swapping a rotation guard for a rotation forward makes perfect sense and I'd think the players have similar value. PJ Washington isn't your third star but Josh Green isn't either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I would do a Green+Holmes for PJ and a CHA first.

Then use that 1st to get someone like Kuzma.

That makes sense to me.

I simply don't see this anywhere close to reality. Why would Charlotte do that? Take a shitty contract in Holmes and pay for the privilege...

Green vs Washington is imho a similar value.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:06 PM)Smitty Wrote: The rest of my post goes into my reasoning for everything and one the Mavs would have to plan for in any Bridges trade. Im not the one interested in Bridges. The Mavs are and I think they will go through the same process on how to resign him.

The Hornets are taking on a lot of salary and PHX can offer a decent package for Bridges so you have to pay to play. Giving up the FRP is painful but a Nico special this offseason was getting back second rounders in the process.

The move to clear space to resign Bridges is trading Holmes (expiring) at the draft/start of new year. That’s where the second round pick(s) come into play.

I didn't follow the idea that Holmes getting traded (for air) in July is part of the process. My bad.

I would think that a better route (and safer, considering the various costs) would be to pursue him in July via SNT, if he's your target. The idea that PHX might get him wouldn't be an issue to that, because they can't re-sign him if they get him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Green + Holmes + 2030 pick swap for PJ makes some sense to me. Adding the pick swap to salary dump Holmes.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:26 PM)omahen Wrote: I simply don't see this anywhere close to reality. Why would Charlotte do that? Take a shitty contract in Holmes and pay for the privilege...

Green vs Washington is imho a similar value.

I don't really value Washington like most of you. I think Green is the better player by a pretty wide margin. You can't do a 1 for 1 swap for them, and the Mavs have to send out more money any ways. It almost has to be Holmes if its just between the CHA+DAL to make sense. 

So that's the case money wise. Value wise, again I think Green>>Washington. Washington isn't bad, but like many others have said here he's not even a top 4 guy on this bad CHA team. He puts up stats but you always have to be wary of guys who put up stats on bad teams.

I watched 5 CHA games to see how PJ performed. He's an okay player that disappears a lot and has defensive lapses that remind me of GWill/CWood. If his shot is falling he is lethal, but that's most guys. I don't think its worth to give up arguably our best defensive guard for PJ.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:26 PM)F Gump Wrote: I didn't follow the idea that Holmes getting traded (for air) in July is part of the process. My bad.

I would think that a better route (and safer, considering the various costs) would be to pursue him in July via SNT, if he's your target. The idea that PHX might get him wouldn't be an issue to that, because they can't re-sign him if they get him.

I agree SnT is the only realistic option here, unless he gets traded. Also his options might be substantially bigger this way and Charlotte might also get more in a SnT (although they do risk losing him for nothing). 

You mean Phoenix trading for him would be an issue, not wouldn't? If I understand it correctly, SnT is off the table, if he is traded to another team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't really value Washington like most of you. I think Green is the better player by a pretty wide margin. You can't do a 1 for 1 swap for them, and the Mavs have to send out more money any ways. It almost has to be Holmes if its just between the CHA+DAL to make sense. 

So that's the case money wise. Value wise, again I think Green>>Washington. Washington isn't bad, but like many others have said here he's not even a top 4 guy on this bad CHA team. He puts up stats but you always have to be wary of guys who put up stats on bad teams.

I watched 5 CHA games to see how PJ performed. He's an okay player that disappears a lot and has defensive lapses that remind me of GWill/CWood. If his shot is falling he is lethal, but that's most guys. I don't think its worth to give up arguably our best defensive guard for PJ.

I know another contract is needed and my hope would be Charlotte eats Holmes deal. Although I am affraid Mavs would need to add to do that. 

I am not really impressed by Washington, but neither I am impressed by Green. Taking big picture into account, it is just a move around the edges that will not erase the need for the third best player, but might make Mavs a little bit better this season. Washington can't be much worse on defense than GW and I think he can do much more offensively than the shitty GW version we see recently.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:39 PM)omahen Wrote: I know another contract is needed and my hope would be Charlotte eats Holmes deal. Although I am affraid Mavs would need to add to do that. 

I am not really impressed by Washington, but neither I am impressed by Green. Taking big picture into account, it is just a move around the edges that will not erase the need for the third best player, but might make Mavs a little bit better this season. Washington can't be much worse on defense than GW and I think he can do much more offensively than the shitty GW version we see recently.

I don't think the Mavs need to add to that at all given they're giving the best player up in this hypothetical.

Also we're not replacing GW in this trade, we're replacing Green. And GW is still on the team. I know you're talking about this role wise, but production wise we're losing our lone defensive 2 guard in this deal.

Green has quietly improved since the beginning of January. he's at 11ppg on 53% from the floor and 43% from 3. Of course volume will always be an issue, but Green is a winning player. I can't say the same about PJ. 

If GW was in the deal as a 1 for 1 swap, then I can get there. But if CHA wants Green for PJ they need to pony up a lot more assets.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:30 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Green + Holmes + 2030 pick swap for PJ makes some sense to me. Adding the pick swap to salary dump Holmes.

Green + Holmes + Morris + 2028* pick swap for PJ + Richards makes more sense to me.

*DAL 2030 is already swapped.

-------

Random note re trades:
Both Curry and Morris were signed to be available as trade matching, as needed.
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Regarding the new PJW rumor with Green involved.

It can’t be a one for one trade. But I’d probably do it if they took Grant and gave us Bridges (rental).

Mavs - PJW, Bridges
CHA - Green, GWill, Morris

Green is one of my favorites but I see how this really helps the Mavs this year.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:35 PM)omahen Wrote: You mean Phoenix trading for him would be an issue, not wouldn't? If I understand it correctly, SnT is off the table, if he is traded to another team.

Good catch - it was a brain typo on my part, not a slip of the pen.

But that again reinforces why Bridges would be very unlikely to accept a trade to PHX (or anywhere), as it closes off so many of his routes to a bigger-than-MLE contract in the summer. He went without a salary last season, and this one is at a very reduced number, so it's likely he sees 2024 as his chance to finally get paid (and won't want to impair that).
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: DAL 2030 is already swapped.

Yeah, but it can still be swapped again. Many trades have multiple swaps. In this case, the order of preference would be SAS, Charlotte and then Dallas. 

Very doable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I'm out on Green for PJ. That's just plugging one hole while creating another.
[-] The following 3 users Like loki's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, The Jom
Like Reply
Honestly I think Green + Williams for PJ might work, without including swaps.

CHA turns a their backup forward into two young rotation players, which is something they can sell to the fanbase and it answers the question, why would they trade a good young rotation player. Well, you get a similar player in return in Williams plus a starting SG. East coast teams remember the Grant Williams from Boston.

For Dallas, it's a do-over on Williams, of sorts. Green + Bullock + two 2nd + 2030 swap for PJ Washington. That's a deal I would've been ok with last summer.

Keep in mind Green has potential but he's SUPER inconsistent, has never averaged even double figures, or more than 27 minutes per game. He's also a guard and you're getting a legit PF with a 7' 3" wingspan.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: BTW, someone that has directional say in the organization agrees with upgrading the roster now.

Oh, sure. We all want to do that. It’s just that some would rather not make a deal than get fleeced on a bad deal again. If the Mavs bottom out on assets again without a championship roster it’s game over.

Not necessarily aimed at you, because again, I think most of this just boils down to disagreeing over what constitutes upgrading the roster, but some people in your camp make arguments that kind of feel like “if the season ends with a single tradable asset that wasn’t traded, that’s a misspent season.”

Common sense dictates that this viewpoint (extreme as it might be, even strawmanish) is nonsensical. There is absolutely no logical reason to make a bad trade using everything you have available just to be able to say you went “all in.” That’s extremely stupid (no nice way to say it). And again, while I’m sure most people on the other side have more nuanced views than that, it really does feel like that’s the viewpoint we’re arguing against around here sometimes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
The Charlotte package:

Williams/Holmes for Lowry

Green/Curry/Morris for Washington

The Orlando deal:

THJ for Harris/Goga

New roster

Doncic/Exum/Lowry
Irving/Harris/Hardy
Jones/Omax
Washington/Kleber
Lively/Goga/Powell

I can´t even say that any of the trades are particularly unfair to any of the teams.

Mavs clearly rate Green more than Charlotte rates Washington, that means they need to add a little extra. Therefore they take Willliams/Holmes for the expiring of Lowry. Not a problem since they are rebuilding anyway. Maybe Williams can actually come good for them.

Orlando wants to add some shooting. Harris/Goga are both on expiring deals. Unless Orlando plans some capspace big game hunting in the summer this is a solid addition to their rotation. They can handle Timmah´s defense given their roster construction and they get the leading 6th man of the year candidate.

Doncic 43
Kyrie 40
Washington 15.5
Kleber 11.0
Lively 5.0
Powell 4.0
Exum 3.1
Omax 2.8
Hardy 2.1
______
126.5M

Maybe I did something wrong, because that outcome just looks amazing all at the cost of pretty much Josh Green. The Mavs get to balance their roster, add a much needed back-up center, a young PF/C, more veteran leadership and a very smooth path forward.

We fixed our whole cap structure. 15M under the cap, 55M under the luxury tax and armed to our teeth with 1st round picks to fix the starting SG/SF with a two-way player.

Honestly I´ll call Charlotte myself. Somebody get MJ on the phone. Big Grin
Like Reply
Please do it Nico! If we see Green with one more big game this week then I think it will be a done deal (just like DSJ's triple double and DFS scoring 18 in their final games before getting traded)

You might even be able to get them to make it a package and add Cody Martin and then you'll have your Green replacement already
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 03:53 PM)F Gump Wrote: Good catch - it was a brain typo on my part, not a slip of the pen.

But that again reinforces why Bridges would be very unlikely to accept a trade to PHX (or anywhere), as it closes off so many of his routes to a bigger-than-MLE contract in the summer. He went without a salary last season, and this one is at a very reduced number, so it's likely he sees 2024 as his chance to finally get paid (and won't want to impair that).

Thinking more about it. Keeping his bird rights might be his best chance to get a good contract next summer. But, being traded to Phoenix would give him a decent chance for a wing. That line-up would be scary good with him. Basically any starting player able to score 20+. Ring would make people quickly forget about his off the court sins. But of course, summer suitors would be limited to the cap space teams.
Like Reply