Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Who are we getting with 3 FRP's, Expiring THJ, Exum, Green and Omax. Maybe Kyrie if a player we like a lot can be had.

Who are the Mavs' targets with this war chest this summer?

Im all for not spending draft assets if this summer we actually do finally have the assets to make a big move.

But...who would the targets be?
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 01:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm pretty much all in on the idea of saving the first this year so in the summer we can go to war with 3 firsts as a package for a star.

Any incremental changes right now I don't think are worth a singular first. I like Deni. I like Gafford. I don't think either of them individually are worth a first, and certainly combined they aren't worth that imo.

See, this is what I want to know.

Who? Who are you pining for? Give me a name.
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 11:40 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Jerami Grant is a poor rebounder.
Mavs would still bleed for rebounds with him, but... 

I would be okay giving up 2027 FRP IF:
GW and Holmes are packaged with the FRP.

But I'd try this first:
GW+Holmes+Hardy+2 2nds

I may be convinced to throw in THJ instead of GW or Holmes, but including THJ in the deal would make me pull-out the FRP (and I don't even like THJ).

If you pass on Jerami because of "rebounds" while ignoring the other great things he can do on offense as a 3rd/2nd option... well, then, I don't really know what to say. How do you argue with a horse that needs water, and that you've taken to the water, if the horse now feels he needs rebounds instead, and that rebounds are more important to his life than life-giving water?

Know what I mean? To keep with the horse theme, it sounds like you may have blinders on, when it comes to them rebounds.

This team needs proper, two-way talent. Jerami is that. He's far above anyone not named Luka and Kyrie on this roster on offense, while being a good defender too. He's not a lock-down defender but he can hold his own. I just wish he was a little taller and little younger, cause then he'd be perfect as a long-term Forward next to Luka.
Like Reply
Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42)
List of first/second apron teams

Golden State
LA Clippers
Boston
Phoenix
Milwaukee
Miami
Denver

These teams are not allowed to sign a player waived during the regular season that had a pre-existing salary of $12.4M+.

(01-24-2024, 01:56 PM)Winter Wrote: See, this is what I want to know.

Who? Who are you pining for? Give me a name.

Mikal Bridges
Lauri Markkanen
Cam Johnson
Jaden McDaniels
Herb Jones
Zion (?)

3s and 4s. 3 FRPs is a lot. Can pay 2 FRP for 1 guy, 1 for another. OR 3 unprotected for more top end talent.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 02:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mikal Bridges
Lauri Markkanen
Cam Johnson
Jaden McDaniels
Herb Jones
Zion (?) :throws_up:

Fixed your post! 5/6 great choices. :thumbs_up:
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 02:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42)
List of first/second apron teams

Golden State
LA Clippers
Boston
Phoenix
Milwaukee
Miami
Denver

These teams are not allowed to sign a player waived during the regular season that had a pre-existing salary of $12.4M+.

Mikal Bridges
Lauri Markkanen
Cam Johnson
Jaden McDaniels
Herb Jones
Zion (?)

3s and 4s. 3 FRPs is a lot. Can pay 2 FRP for 1 guy, 1 for another. OR 3 unprotected for more top end talent.

Bridges is about to be 28 in August.

Is he still playing Defense at a high level?

Why would McDaniels and Herb Jones be let go?   Selling high on players before a reset?   McDaniels and Jones have the length and defense we need...just wonder if we would be left frustrated with their shooting in Playoffs or lack of offense in Playoffs.   No doubt they have the length and defense.

Lauri supposedly has defense questions marks.  He has size and can score.

Dont know anything about Cam Johnson.   I get Cam Johnson, Cam Thomas and Cam Reddish mixed up all the freaking time.   I forget which one someone on here has pushed for for quite a while.

Cant trust Zion.

I would probably go with Bridges unless we need more size with our assets.   True 2way player with long arms.

I guess I was hoping for more of an Anthony Davis type player. True All-Star with 3 frps. But I am into 2frps for one player and another for someone else.
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 09:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: J. Grant has averaged a 77 and he's locked up for a lot more than $25mm/year.  Kuzma and PJ don't come close to this type of average EPM over the last four years.

Wanted to clarify something.  While I prefer WCJ to just about anyone, I’m not anti-PJ.  If the deal were GWill plus Hardy (keeps us under the tax this season and upgrades GWill while not using the 2027 first), then I’d be in.  I actually think that may be one of the more likely ideas out there as I can see a world in which Charlotte would want to take on Hardy as a Rozier replacement.

I’m also in favor of J Grant and would include the 2027 pick for him.  But, that gets more complex because of what he makes and the fact Portland already has so many guards.  Would they really value THJ/Hardy/Green?
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Saying the Mavs need to hold onto their few FRP's so they can trade 3 for a star player this summer - is the same thing as "Plan Powder". Also, waiting around for someone to drop in their laps is not a plan. Just face it, Cuban does not know how to build a contending team. Can't believe the new owners fell for his BS.

Luka is in his 6th year, and we are going to be knocked out in the play-in round this year if we wait until this offseason. We started 8 - 2 and since then we have gone 16 - 17. There has been talk that we are better than last season. But we have the same record as last season after 43 games as this year 24 - 19. New faces yes, some good some not so much.

The team added a new FO peace this past offseason in Dennis Lindsy and had one of their best drafts in ages. Let's see what he can do this TDL. If we stand pat this TDL - the NYK will be receiving a high lottery pick this summer.

Someone already used the Bally commercial line "that's crazy talk". Not letting Lindsy use all resources this TDL is in fact Crazy Talk.

PS: this could also fall under F Gump's "I'm out this season" thread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 03:48 PM)chaparral Wrote: Saying the Mavs need to hold onto their few FRP's so they can trade 3 for a star player this summer - is the same thing as "Plan Powder".  Also, waiting around for someone to drop in their laps is not a plan.  Just face it, Cuban does not know how to build a contending team.  Can't believe the new owners fell for his BS.

Luka is in his 6th year, and we are going to be knocked out in the play-in round this year if we wait until this offseason.  We started 8 - 2 and since then we have gone 16 - 17.  There has been talk that we are better than last season.  But we have the same record as last season after 43 games as this year 24 - 19.  New faces yes, some good some not so much.

The team added a new FO peace this past offseason in Dennis Lindsy and had one of their best drafts in ages.  Let's see what he can do this TDL.  If we stand pat this TDL - the NYK will be receiving a high lottery pick this summer.

Someone already used the Bally commercial line "that's crazy talk".  Not letting Lindsy use all resources this TDL is in fact Crazy Talk.

PS: this could also fall under F Gump's "I'm out this season" thread.

There is a huge difference between free agency and trades.  Trades are on an even playing field, free agency is not.  Not spending every asset you have as soon as you get it is not plan powder.  

Your prediction is unlikely, but if its correct NY is not getting a high lottery pick from us because its top 10 protected again.

If Lindsy is so good at the draft, then why are begging to send out draft picks.

This mindset that we have to spend every asset immediately is part of what got us into this mess.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wanted to clarify something.  While I prefer WCJ to just about anyone, I’m not anti-PJ.  If the deal were GWill plus Hardy (keeps us under the tax this season and upgrades GWill while not using the 2027 first), then I’d be in.  I actually think that may be one of the more likely ideas out there as I can see a world in which Charlotte would want to take on Hardy as a Rozier replacement.

I’m also in favor of J Grant and would include the 2027 pick for him.  But, that gets more complex because of what he makes and the fact Portland already has so many guards.  Would they really value THJ/Hardy/Green?

Hey, Dan,

I really appreciate how your proposed trades actually take into account what the other side might want and need.

Love,

DallasMaverick
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 03:58 PM)mvossman Wrote: There is a huge difference between free agency and trades.  Trades are on an even playing field, free agency is not.  Not spending every asset you have as soon as you get it is not plan powder.    

Your prediction is unlikely, but if its correct NY is not getting a high lottery pick from us because its top 10 protected again.

If Lindsy is so good at the draft, then why are begging to send out draft picks.

This mindset that we have to spend every asset immediately is part of what got us into this mess.

The Mavs have not been good in free agency the last 3 years with the new MBT.  Let's blame that on a cheap owner.  The Mavs have had the 2027 FRP for a few years now.  I feel that saving FRP's to trade in a bunch on one player is the same as saving dollars to spend in a bunch on player in FA.  

Let me correct the high lottery term.  I meant picks 11 - 14 would be going to NYK.

Mavs are in this mess because we have a medaling owner who thinks he is a basketball person. 

I disagree with your mindset comment.  I believe we are in this mess because our owner thinks it's OK to let players walk for nothing.  He believes that it is OK to pay assets (Picks or $$) to get rid of players.

It's Cuban's mindset for the reason we are in this mess.  And we as fans are stuck with him until the new owners figure out, he is full of hot air.
Like Reply
The Mavs turning their 3 1sts into a difference maker next offseason is looking pretty challenging the more I think about it.

Brooklyn apparently turned down 4 1sts for Bridges after they acquired him.
Utah wanted 5 1sts for Markkanen.
Is Cam Johnson really a difference maker?

Dealing for Jerami Grant at the deadline doesn't look so bad if he's willing to lock in defensively. I think you send Williams and the 27 1st to Portland. Then flip THJ to Orlando for expirings and the best pick you can get. I'd rather go this route than wait until the offseason and strike out.
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 04:44 PM)chaparral Wrote: The Mavs have not been good in free agency the last 3 years with the new MBT.  Let's blame that on a cheap owner.  The Mavs have had the 2027 FRP for a few years now.  I feel that saving FRP's to trade in a bunch on one player is the same as saving dollars to spend in a bunch on player in FA.  

Let me correct the high lottery term.  I meant picks 11 - 14 would be going to NYK.

Mavs are in this mess because we have a medaling owner who thinks he is a basketball person. 

I disagree with your mindset comment.  I believe we are in this mess because our owner thinks it's OK to let players walk for nothing.  He believes that it is OK to pay assets (Picks or $$) to get rid of players.

It's Cuban's mindset for the reason we are in this mess.  And we as fans are stuck with him until the new owners figure out, he is full of hot air.

Saving picks is very different than saving cap space.  The problem with cap space is that you actually have to convince someone to come.  That is were the Mavs are at a distinct disadvantage compared to destination locations.  That is not an issue with trades in most cases (excluding those where the player is forcing themselves somewhere).  More importantly, if you can't convince anybody to come, your only option is to overspend on FAs.  If you don't make trades with your picks, you still get your picks.  You said yourself the FO did a great job in the draft.  Making draft picks is a much better consolation prize than overpaying free agents.

There is no question that Cuban meddling is a big part of why we have not built better around Luka.  I'm not sure how that's an argument for spending assets at the TDL regardless of whether there is a good trade or not?  I don't think anyone is arguing to avoid trading at the TDL.  I think there is simply skepticism that there will be a trade involving the first that makes sense long term, and that its more likely a trade will be available in the offseason when there are generally more options and we will have more assets.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wanted to clarify something.  While I prefer WCJ to just about anyone, I’m not anti-PJ.  If the deal were GWill plus Hardy (keeps us under the tax this season and upgrades GWill while not using the 2027 first), then I’d be in.  I actually think that may be one of the more likely ideas out there as I can see a world in which Charlotte would want to take on Hardy as a Rozier replacement.

I know GWill has been bad. I do not believe PJ is that big of an upgrade if at all. 

GWill when he's hitting 3s does exactly what we want. He's in a bad shooting stretch.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 05:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I know GWill has been bad. I do not believe PJ is that big of an upgrade if at all. 

GWill when he's hitting 3s does exactly what we want. He's in a bad shooting stretch.

Except play defense.  That has been the real disappointment with him.  I'm not convinced we wont have similar issues with PJ, but I think if nothing else PJ is quicker and more versatile as a defender.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKidd, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 04:55 PM)loki Wrote: The Mavs turning their 3 1sts into a difference maker next offseason is looking pretty challenging the more I think about it.

Brooklyn apparently turned down 4 1sts for Bridges after they acquired him.

Utah wanted 5 1sts for Markkanen.
Is Cam Johnson really a difference maker?

Dealing for Jerami Grant at the deadline doesn't look so bad if he's willing to lock in defensively. I think you send Williams and the 27 1st to Portland. Then flip THJ to Orlando for expirings and the best pick you can get. I'd rather go this route than wait until the offseason and strike out.

Not all 1sts are created equal.

The Memphis rumor where they offered 4 1sts for Bridges last year came from Scotto, a notoriously unreliable guy. But what we're those rumored 1sts? 

At the time of the deal they were 2nd in the conference and their own picks were assumed to be late 1sts. Did MEM put protections on them? They also have the worst of PHX and WAS in 2024, so another middle 1st pick at best.

All I'm saying is if the Mavs go to the Nets and offered them 3 unprotected 1sts, one as far as 2031 when Luka may not even be here, that is a hefty and valuable asset. One that might be enough to net Mikal Bridges.
Like Reply
I don't have any trade proposals to post. Just making a comment that the spacing on this team is currently a wreck. I really like DJJ but if he and Williams aren't going to take and make a volume of 3s this team isn't going to beat anyone. You need the wing defenders to be willing to each take 7-9 open threes per game -- and, of course, make them at a solid rate -- to keep defenses honest. That's a big problem right now.
[-] The following 3 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 11:47 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I don't have any trade proposals to post. Just making a comment that the spacing on this team is currently a wreck. I really like DJJ but if he and Williams aren't going to take and make a volume of 3s this team isn't going to beat anyone. You need the wing defenders to be willing to each take 7-9 open threes per game -- and, of course, make them at a solid rate -- to keep defenses honest. That's a big problem right now.

Thanks for finally saying it. 

I said this so much over the years that I feel like I can’t see it anymore. Shooting is one of the bigger problems this team has.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply
Kuzma tonight...

14 rebounds, 8 assists...

twolves a big team to rebound against.

I see you, boy
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
There is literally no trade that will fix a lack of mental fortitude. Comes from top down. Luka and Kidd. Kidd has to go. Luka has to grow up. We've said the same shit year after for him. Year 3 its understandable. Its year 6 and Luka still acts like a pussy ass whiny bitch
If I was Kidd, Luka doesn't get the start next game. As soon as he turns to a ref he gets benched for 2 minutes. Sack the game I don't give a shit. Its time to put the foot down and hammer this habit out of Luka.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, Radical Mavs, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, SweetFidelia
Like Reply