Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(01-21-2024, 02:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jared Schwartz @ New York Post

Bruce Brown on the NYK trade rumors:

“I am a dog,” Brown told The Post on Saturday night prior to the Raptors’ 126-100 loss to the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. “I play extremely hard on both ends of the floor. I can do just about whatever [Thibodeau] needs me to do.”

“I play extremely hard,” Brown said. “I would think [I’m] the type of player that he likes.”

“Every time we play Thibs I go up to him and shake his hand, just because of what he’s done,” Brown said. “Nothing but respect for Thibs.”

“I love New York,” Brown said. “I hated New York before I lived here, but as soon as I moved here I loved it. Anytime you want to do something you can go do it. Great restaurants, great city, I love being back.”

Ok glad we're in agreement there. 

Miles Bridges in a Mav uniform would make it extremely hard to root for the team.

Dang.  Way too much moral principle, and not nearly enough pragmatism.

Don’t you guys want to win???
Like Reply
Stein reporting Mavs are one of the teams who have checked in with Wizards regarding Kuzma:

The Mavericks, league sources say, are
among the teams that have inquired with
Washington about its willingness to part
with forward Kyle Kuzma.
The Wizards, sources say, want at least two
first-round picks for Kuzma. And the
implication is they will be seeking higher
quality picks than Toronto received from
Indiana in the Siakam trade; two of the three
future first-rounders sent to the Raptors by
Indiana are from the oft-maligned 2024 draft
this June. “If we can get a big who can also create off the dribble, that'd be a plus," Cuban said adding that the player would preferably
stand at least 6-foot-8.
Kuzma obviously fits that description, but
Dallas has only one available first-round
pick to trade (in 2027). The Mavericks also
know that the Wizards' determination to
acquire as many future firsts as possible is
not going away; sources say Washington
established considerable asking prices
months ago when Dallas made past
inquiries on the in-demand Gafford as well
as Deni Avdija
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 06:26 PM)SamStetz Wrote: Stein reporting Mavs are one of the teams who have checked in with Wizards regarding Kuzma:

with forward Kyle Kuzma.
this June. “If we can get a big who can also create off the dribble, that'd be a plus," Cuban said adding that the player would preferably
stand at least 6-foot-8.
as Deni Avdija

I hope the Wizards save the Mavs from themselves.
[-] The following 9 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ACMFFL, ballsrchr, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 06:12 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Dang.  Way too much moral principle, and not nearly enough pragmatism.

I really do want to win.

But the guy nearly beat his girlfriend to death. I can't support a man who puts his hands on a woman like that. I'm all for 2nd chances but he's already gone and assaulted her and nearly violated his probation.

Further, any trade for him now has no benefits since we don't get bird rights. 

I am very certain he'd excel here, and rehab his image to the point another team would be fine giving him a 20+mil a year deal. But he's also going to cost a first, and if you're the Mavs, why would you pay a 1st only to have a team (lets say Detroit) come in the summer and money whip him and you can't do anything about it?

So it doesn't really make sense from a cap perspective right now. 

Again I do want to win. I just think we can win without Miles Bridges ever donning a Mavs uniform.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 06:12 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Dang.  Way too much moral principle, and not nearly enough pragmatism.

Personally, I want to be able to root for the guys on the team. I don't expect everyone to be a saint, but I'd rather watch the Mavs lose without Bridges than win with him if given the choice.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I don't see the Wizards getting 2 firsts for Kuzma. That's wishful thinking.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 06:26 PM)SamStetz Wrote: Stein reporting Mavs are one of the teams who have checked in with Wizards regarding Kuzma:

with forward Kyle Kuzma.
stand at least 6-foot-8.
as Deni Avdija

He actually does make a lot of sense for us. A lot of people forget that he averaged 23 minutes and played in every playoff game for a team that won a ring so it's not like he's unplayable in the playoffs. Good size, 7+ foot wingspan, his defense might even show back up if he doesn't have to be miscast as the #1 option on offense like he is in Washington. He would have been my next target after confirming we didn't have enough to get Siakam. It's worth at least negotiating with Washington to see what kind of price we could get him for. obviously we can't give two firsts but if the market is tepid for him see if they're willing to renogotiate. He's even on a pretty reasonable declining contract
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 07:21 PM)omahen Wrote: Another rumor has NO being open to trade Jones. I find it highly unlikely. He has a decent contract and there are other ways to keep salary down than his MLE level deal. NO problem is that their stars don't really fit together well. Neither is a shooter or a decent defender. Move one of Ingram/Zion for a better fitting star and Jones contract is gold next to them.

I am not even sure, what would NO look for in such a deal. If their motivation is just to save money, they don't want a long term salary back, but a good player on a rookie deal. They already have enough picks.

But, if he was really available, he would be exactly what Mavs need.

If the Pelicans were to trade Herb Jones, it would be for an upgrade.  They already have 11 quality rotation players and as you mentioned, a lot of draft equity.  Their problem is that they don't have a top-25 player on the roster.  Fat Zion is merely a good player and not the superstar that he should be.

I think Jones might be available for Mikal Bridges or another better player but not for a package of players or picks.  

Herb Jones would be exactly what the Mavericks need.
Like Reply
Like I was saying -- Kuzma has been the target.

I like him for the Mavs, but 2 FRPs? No. I wouldn't even trade Omax and a first for him. I do not even want to include Green in a package for him.

Kuzma+Gafford for THJ+Holmes+Hardy+FRP+SRP -- that's as far as I can go.

Note: IMHO Jalen Smith is available -- could play PF/C for the Mavs
Pacers have too many PF types
Pacers have to pay Siakam
Jalen Smith has a player option

I know RC would ask for DP, but he's the best C in the universe so that's not gonna happen.
[-] The following 4 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, WillE
Like Reply

It's hard to tell if you're serious or not.  

If the Mavericks acquire Miles Bridges, I would no longer be a Mavs fan. 

I can't imagine Cuban or Nico would make such a move.

On the other hand, he and Jason Kidd would have some things in common to talk about.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 07:04 PM)MrGoat Wrote: He actually does make a lot of sense for us. A lot of people forget that he averaged 23 minutes and played in every playoff game for a team that won a ring so it's not like he's unplayable in the playoffs. Good size, 7+ foot wingspan, his defense might even show back up if he doesn't have to be miscast as the #1 option on offense like he is in Washington. He would have been my next target after confirming we didn't have enough to get Siakam. It's worth at least negotiating with Washington to see what kind of price we could get him for. obviously we can't give two firsts but if the market is tepid for him see if they're willing to renogotiate. He's even on a pretty reasonable declining contract

Kuzma a poor fit here.  He's a poor defensive player and below-average 3-point shooter.  That's a terrible fit in the starting lineup.

He would be a good 6th man but we already have THJ who's filling that role really well.  His contract is also a lot for a 6th man.

Kuzma would fit well with some other decent teams who need scoring.  The Timberwolves, Lakers and Warriors could all really use him.  

I don't think he fits the Mavericks though.  This seems like Mark Cuban liking shiny things.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 07:04 PM)MrGoat Wrote: He actually does make a lot of sense for us. A lot of people forget that he averaged 23 minutes and played in every playoff game for a team that won a ring so it's not like he's unplayable in the playoffs. Good size, 7+ foot wingspan, his defense might even show back up if he doesn't have to be miscast as the #1 option on offense like he is in Washington. He would have been my next target after confirming we didn't have enough to get Siakam. It's worth at least negotiating with Washington to see what kind of price we could get him for. obviously we can't give two firsts but if the market is tepid for him see if they're willing to renogotiate. He's even on a pretty reasonable declining contract

Take a look at his net rating during that playoff run.  He was by far the worst of every rotational player during that run.  Significantly below guys like Rondo, McGee and Morris.  Folks (including me) used the playoff argument for GWill, and that has not worked out so well.  He is basically Timmy (some ways better, some worse) making over 20 mil a year.  Timmy was on a similar (cheaper) descending contract and it hasn't kept folks from hating him.  My biggest nightmare (other than Wiggins) is that the Wizards come down to one first and we pay it.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 07:55 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It's hard to tell if you're serious or not.  

If the Mavericks acquire Miles Bridges, I would no longer be a Mavs fan. 

I can't imagine Cuban or Nico would make such a move.

On the other hand, he and Jason Kidd would have some things in common to talk about.

I think he is serious.  He has made a couple of posts like this.  Its a weird bit.
Like Reply
I do not believe the team that pulled off this past summer’s maneuvers will trade valuable assets for Kyle Kuzma or Andrew Wiggins. I have decided not to worry.
[-] The following 8 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ACMFFL, From Dirk to Luka, Jym, MFFL, mvossman, Smitty, surfpuckmd, youzigizag
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 10:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I do not believe the team that pulled off this past summer’s maneuvers will trade valuable assets for Kyle Kuzma or Andrew Wiggins. I have decided not to worry.

I'm concerned about the expressed interest in each.  This seems like Mark Cuban is desperate for attention and thus threatening to make a stupid trade.  The worst would be a Miles Bridges trade though.  That would be like selling your soul for a McDonald's cheeseburger.
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 06:26 PM)SamStetz Wrote: Stein reporting Mavs are one of the teams who:

made past inquiries on 
Deni Avdija

Let's just do this.
Like Reply
PJ Washington.

That is the move.
Like Reply
I don't see the Wizards giving up Deni. He is young, good defensively, can handle the ball and rebounds.
But if he is available, then by all means, get that boy.

And he fits Cuban's description.
6'8" and over, can handle the ball and score some.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • ACMFFL, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 10:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I do not believe the team that pulled off this past summer’s maneuvers will trade valuable assets for Kyle Kuzma or Andrew Wiggins. I have decided not to worry.

Still trying to wrap my head around how Wiggins was basically the best player in the series where they beat us 
Made no sense then, makes even less sense now
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-22-2024, 12:44 AM)Jym Wrote: Still trying to wrap my head around how Wiggins was basically the best player in the series where they beat us 
Made no sense then, makes even less sense now

My uneducated theory is that Wiggins is the kind of player who is as good as his team.
A good GSW = A good locked in Wiggins, A bad GSW/Wolves = bad Wiggins 
He isn't a player to raise a team, but a player that the team can help.
Like Reply