Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(01-12-2024, 08:03 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Not sure if Siakam is a good enough offball scorer but it’s hard to not get excited about the idea of him playing the nr 3 guy role here given he’s a multiple allstar caliber with championship experience playing a position of need.

Finding a trade package for him would be a lot easier if Green, Grant and Hardy had played better seasons so far though.

I think he’s more of a SnT target next summer than an option at the deadline.

He's also out of his shooting slump from deep.

December: 13 games - 36,8% - 3 attempts per game.

January: 5 games - 61,1% - 3,5 attempts per game.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 2 users Like HAguiar95's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 12:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As we think through all of these PF targets, I think we are overlooking one that makes a ton of sense...mainly because we don't think of him as a PF.  But, WCJr. played a good bit of PF last season.  Four of his five most used lineups had him at PF and he dominated his direct opponent.  The team's D was fantastic when he was in last season and horrible when he wasn't (Kind of like Lively for us this season).  He's a strong defensive rebounder.  He's an excellent passer (will be yet another player who excels in the short roll when Luka is doubled) and he's hitting his 3's (and the shot looks really good).  He's got a 7' 4" wingspan and good footspeed to execute multiple types of defensive schemes at the 4 or the 5.

So, what happened and why does Stein say he's on the block?  Mainly injuries and the emergence of Goga.  This season WCJ started the first 5 games and then missed the next 20 with a broken finger.  He started the next five, missed a game, came off the bench a few and has missed the last several games with knee tendinitis.  He misses substantial games each season with injuries, so that's a thing.  But, when he's in, he fits Nico's description of Force and Rebounding very well and I think could be a real difference maker in the playoffs (if healthy).  He's on a declining contract and if THJ was the outgoing, would represent $4mm of savings off of next year's number (which helps with DJJ).  We talk about a younger, better, healthier Maxi.  This is him (well, two out of three).

I mentioned a couple days ago THJ for WCJ seems like a decent match.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 10:56 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I mentioned a couple days ago THJ for WCJ seems like a decent match.

It makes some sense, but it’s a gamble on Hardy/Curry. We don’t win last night without Timmy
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:03 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Not sure if Siakam is a good enough offball scorer but it’s hard to not get excited about the idea of him playing the nr 3 guy role here given he’s a multiple allstar caliber with championship experience playing a position of need.

Finding a trade package for him would be a lot easier if Green, Grant and Hardy had played better seasons so far though.

I think he’s more of a SnT target next summer than an option at the deadline.

It's very easy for me not to get excited about Pascal Siakam as I think he's a good player but a poor fit on this roster.

Our discussions about Siakam are irrelevant though as we have very little to offer in trades.  We have only one available 1st-round pick and not a single large or even mid-size expiring contract.  I think it would be impossible for us to obtain Siakam without Lively included and I would much rather have Lively than Siakam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 12:23 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It's very easy for me not to get excited about Pascal Siakam as I think he's a good player but a poor fit on this roster.

Our discussions about Siakam are irrelevant though as we have very little to offer in trades.  We have only one available 1st-round pick and not a single large or even mid-size expiring contract.  I think it would be impossible for us to obtain Siakam without Lively included and I would much rather have Lively than Siakam.

He can walk in the summertime and the Raps have to get something for him in return. I doubt the return is going to be prohibitive for the Mavs at all, and I would assume Ujiri isn't stupid enough to shut down conversations with his most likely trade partner by bringing up Lively.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, WildArkieBoy
Like Reply
Love Pascal’s fit here! Absolutely love it! But a max salary this summer? Yikes.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NBATradeReport/statu...4n9jd5ifRA&s=19

Warriors are engaged with multiple teams on multiple players. Golden State is motivated for a roster shakeup

(01-12-2024, 01:48 PM)The Jom Wrote: Love Pascal’s fit here! Absolutely love it! But a max salary this summer? Yikes.

Have to pay to play. Pascal is an All NBA caliber forward. Being top 15 in the league comes with a hefty price.

I'd rather have the talent than the space imo.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 04:28 AM)omahen Wrote: Wiggins to Indy could make sense. It would ruin their cap space plans for summer. However, if he can be at least approximately what he has been at his best, he makes them better. And they will get an asset for eating his contract.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/statu...2258352512

Fischer was also on the Locked On Mav's show yesterday.  Nick was asking about reports Dallas is interested in fours and was naming the usual suspects and Jake said "and Wiggins...he'd be another name I'd keep an eye on".  He said "that's a perfect scenario for Dallas and Golden State if the Mav's can convince themselves that he just needs a change of scenery or if they hear back-channel that he really wants to be there and it has been just awful in GS".  "If it were two depth pieces coming back from Dallas, that kind of framework would make sense for both sides".  He went on to say this isn't me saying "write Andrew Wiggins to Dallas down in sharpie".  "It's just an idea I've heard out there in the ether that makes sense".   

Recall that JF is the one who is also saying Dallas is shopping the THJ/Holmes combo.  Don't know if that is what he means by "Depth pieces".  At least an additional $3.1mm would have to come back from GS in such a deal (like Moody at $3.9mm).  But someone like Looney at $7.5mm would also work and keep Dallas under the LT.  Normally you'd say Looney is off limits, but GSW is doing better in the Saric minutes and the TJD minutes.  

An almost exact match this season would be GWill and Holmes for Wiggins.  Total cost of Wiggins past this season is $30mm more than the GWill/Holmes combo.  But, that $30mm is attached to a multiplier for GS.  I imagine they'd be quite happy (on an ROI basis) to swap GWill for Wiggins.  Does Dallas get an asset for that?  I think the upside for a rehabilitated Wiggins is greater than the best you can imagine from GWill.  But, the risk is also higher.
Like Reply
The Warriors are in the market for an offensive minded 7 footer, per @timkawakami . "There has been some talk about maybe just go get a 7-footer who can score."

Is this meaningful? Or just a random wish list item? It's not as if you can go grab whoever you want, on a whim.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 02:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: The Warriors are in the market for an offensive minded 7 footer, per @timkawakami . "There has been some talk about maybe just go get a 7-footer who can score."

Is this meaningful? Or just a random wish list item? It's not as if you can go grab whoever you want, on a whim.

Is this them coding that they want Maxi in any Wiggins deal?

Ugh I'm terrified of Wiggins and his seemingly disinterest in basketball. Feel like that would be season killer.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 02:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is this them coding that they want Maxi in any Wiggins deal?

Ugh I'm terrified of Wiggins and his seemingly disinterest in basketball. Feel like that would be season killer.

My first thought was Wood trying to break Ish Smith's record. 13 different teams. Wood has played for eight different teams so far. Warriors trade would make it nine in nine seasons.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 02:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is this them coding that they want Maxi in any Wiggins deal?

Maxi is the opposite of the offensive minded big. His more or less only ability is to shoot a wide open three pointer. And he is not a 7 footer Smile

On the cheap side, someone like Bagley could be described as offensive minded center, although he is also not a 7 footer. Vucevic fits the mold on the more expensive side.
Like Reply

I'm not a fan at all of getting Wiggins. He isn't good at anything anymore (lousy D, meh rebounder, bad scoring pcts, bad defense) and his contract is sizable. His PER is below 9, and his WS is a negative (ie, he makes your team worse to play him). It feels like he stopped caring, once he got his new contract.

If his game rebounds, I don't think you'd get a player worth committing $109M for 4 years. He's not even an MLE-level value now, and it's really questionable you can turn him into an MLE value. Given the $109M due and the hard cap world now, I'd pass, and for me it's not even borderline.
[-] The following 7 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Wiggins is imho a huge gamble. His best version was great and would fit nicely on Mavs. His current version is bad and if this version prevails, Mavs will just remain with another bad contract that will be difficult to move in any trade. I would be patient for a more sure thing. Mavs can make a good move in the summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 03:10 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm not a fan at all of getting Wiggins. He isn't good at anything anymore (lousy D, meh rebounder, bad scoring pcts, bad defense) and his contract is sizable. His PER is below 9, and his WS is a negative (ie, he makes your team worse to play him). It feels like he stopped caring, once he got his new contract.

If his game rebounds, I don't think you'd get a player worth committing $109M for 4 years. He's not even an MLE-level value now, and it's really questionable you can turn him into an MLE value. Given the $109M due and the hard cap world now, I'd pass, and for me it's not even borderline.

I pray that Mark, Nico, and Lindsay see things this way as well. No Wiggins!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 03:10 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm not a fan at all of getting Wiggins. He isn't good at anything anymore (lousy D, meh rebounder, bad scoring pcts, bad defense) and his contract is sizable. His PER is below 9, and his WS is a negative (ie, he makes your team worse to play him). It feels like he stopped caring, once he got his new contract.

I don't think I'm quite there with your evaluation of Wiggins relative cost if his game were to bounce back. I think he'd easily be worth his contract. The question is the likelihood and we've seen years and years of Wiggins collecting a paycheck and putting up empty stats.

So I agree, I'm totally out on Wiggins and his deal.

I suppose a better question is, what would it take from GSW (or maybe a 3rd team?) for you to accept Wiggins contract? What if he came with 2 firsts?
Like Reply
After the Warriors championship run Andrew Wiggins went on Iguodala's podcast and stated that rebounding was easy and just about effort. That he would never average just five rebounds again. And continued to average five rebounds per game in the following season.
He showed that he can do more (7.5reb in the playoffs). Stated that it was just about effort and mentality. Proved that he doesn't have the mindset to do it. Isn't willing to put in the work on a regular basis.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • F Gump, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
The Hawks have spoken to the Lakers about a potential Dejounte Murray trade, per
@wojespn

@massey_evan
The #Pacers and #Raptors have been in serious discussions regarding a Pascal Siakam trade over the last few days, per source. I'm told Bennedict Mathurin is NOT included in these discussions
Like Reply
The Miami Heat are a ‘legitimate’ landing spot for Dejounte Murray, per
@JakeLFischer
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 03:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think I'm quite there with your evaluation of Wiggins relative cost if his game were to bounce back. I think he'd easily be worth his contract. The question is the likelihood and we've seen years and years of Wiggins collecting a paycheck and putting up empty stats.

So I agree, I'm totally out on Wiggins and his deal.

I suppose a better question is, what would it take from GSW (or maybe a 3rd team?) for you to accept Wiggins contract? What if he came with 2 firsts?

No.

The contract is a deal-killer for me because imo the impact of $25M/year of bad contract (that's what he is, right now) will prevent the Mavs from doing the needed roster building to improve this team. There's not really any way to erase that unless you get players making nothing but worth $25M. A couple of scrub picks doesn't change that, and it will be years before those picks become valued players, most likely.

But there's also the issue that the Mavs need to add BETTER players to their mix. Right now, is Wiggins (with his level of play) really someone you'd want to give minutes to? I don't see anything in what he's doing that would be a plus.

And I'm not sold on the idea that it will change. Part of my issue is that when I look back through his history, not sure he's worth this contract EVER. He had one "good" year in a contract year, and even then the numbers seem to indicate he was just a so-so player in the middle of some high level talent, filling a hole and being valued because of it.
Like Reply