Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(01-09-2024, 04:53 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Edit:  And now Jake Fisher is reporting that Dallas is actively talking with several teams and is shopping THJ/Holmes.

Not sure what exactly he said, but this aggregate says they are one of four teams in run for Siakam

All Things Mavs on X: "Dallas has emerged as one of the western conference contenders that is continuously on the phone trying to make a move, per @JakeLFischer. They are shopping Richaun Holmes & Tim Hardaway Jr." / X (twitter.com)

I would not understand what shopping Holmes would mean. Really confused by wording. Mavs are not stupid and they know Holmes has zero value around the league. No one will take that contract unless you take back even worse contract or you attach assets to it. So if you want a serious player, what you really shop is assets, not Holmes. Unless you are just pretending to be shopping Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
They're going to have to give up the 27 1st if they want to dump Holmes and get a decent player in return.
Like Reply
At the risk of causing a lot of ire here Smile

The only real asset Mavs have besides the 2027 pick is Lively. Would you consider a deal of contracts+2027+Lively for Siakam and Poeltl?
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 05:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure what exactly he said, but this aggregate says they are one of four teams in run for Siakam

All Things Mavs on X: "Dallas has emerged as one of the western conference contenders that is continuously on the phone trying to make a move, per @JakeLFischer. They are shopping Richaun Holmes & Tim Hardaway Jr." / X (twitter.com)

I would not understand what shopping Holmes would mean. Really confused by wording. Mavs are not stupid and they know Holmes has zero value around the league. No one will take that contract unless you take back even worse contract or you attach assets to it. So if you want a serious player, what you really shop is assets, not Holmes. Unless you are just pretending to be shopping Smile

Judging by the wording, and if we take it literally, they seem to be shopping THJ/Holmes the same way they shopped THJ/McGee over the summer. If the main motivation is to make room for Hardy, as it seemed to be this summer, then we can probably assume the youngsters will not be included, and that the result will be either a small deal or none at all.

That package will be valuable in a year, when both are expiring.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 06:02 PM)omahen Wrote: At the risk of causing a lot of ire here Smile

The only real asset Mavs have besides the 2027 pick is Lively. Would you consider a deal of contracts+2027+Lively for Siakam and Poeltl?

Was trying to hit reply instead of like - NO.
Like Reply
Is it allowed to trade for example for Hayward and give him a one year extension?
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 06:02 PM)omahen Wrote: At the risk of causing a lot of ire here Smile

No.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ACMFFL, BigDirk41
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 06:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Judging by the wording, and if we take it literally, they seem to be shopping THJ/Holmes the same way they shopped THJ/McGee over the summer. If the main motivation is to make room for Hardy, as it seemed to be this summer, then we can probably assume the youngsters will not be included, and that the result will be either a small deal or none at all.

That package will be valuable in a year, when both are expiring.

It could also be connected to the Siakam rumor. Perhaps Mavs and Toronto can make a deal in principle related to assets used, but Toronto is urging Dallas to find better contracts than THJ/Holmes elsewhere. That is why Dallas could be looking what they could get wih minor assets attached.
Like Reply
The Detroit thing for Siakam makes no sense. They need to take the keys away from that GM if that is the case.

But trade gurus, any way to work up a trade where Detroit gets Hardaway (veteran, shooter, adult in the room). Toronto gets Isiah Stewart. Dallas gets Siakam. More would have to be involved. Like Dallas first and a young player. So Toronto winds up with 22 year old Stewart, Dallas first and what Dallas young player (plus salary). Any way to make a three team work? Still feels light for Siakam but if he is not going to extend, that may diminish his market. Toronto is an odd team to try to figure out though.
Like Reply
Williams, Holmes, 27 1st
for
PJ, Richards

Is this return too disappointing for the pick? That lineup is a solid 9 deep with a little extra space (not quite full MLE) cleared for DJJ next offseason.

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/Exum
Green/THJ
PJ/DJJ
Lively/Richards
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 06:17 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Detroit thing for Siakam makes no sense.  They need to take the keys away from that GM if that is the case.

But trade gurus, any way to work up a trade where Detroit gets Hardaway (veteran, shooter, adult in the room).    Toronto gets Isiah Stewart.  Dallas gets Siakam.  More would have to be involved.  Like Dallas first and a young player.  So Toronto winds up with 22 year old Stewart, Dallas first and what Dallas young player (plus salary).  Any way to make a three team work?  Still feels light for Siakam but if he is not going to extend, that may diminish his market.    Toronto is an odd team to try to figure out though.

In principle a deal with Detroit wouldn't be difficult to construct, probably with some additional pieces needed. Below is one theoretical example. Many other variations are possible. Not sure what assets would be needed for Detroit to eat Holmes contract, but they are receiving best player out of Harris, THJ and Holmes.

NBA Trade Machine & Cap Manager | Fanspo
Like Reply
Holmes/THJ is a match for Gordon Hayward
Like Reply

I wouldn't even consider it. I'd hang up the phone on them.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 06:55 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Holmes/THJ is a match for Gordon Hayward

I'd consider that if I knew he had something left.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 06:16 PM)omahen Wrote: It could also be connected to the Siakam rumor. Perhaps Mavs and Toronto can make a deal in principle related to assets used, but Toronto is urging Dallas to find better contracts than THJ/Holmes elsewhere. That is why Dallas could be looking what they could get wih minor assets attached.

Interesting, made me think the following:

DAL in: Siakam, Temple.

ORL in: Hardaway Jr.

TOR in: Fultz, O-Max, '27 Mavs 1st (unprotected).

WAS in: Holmes, '28 DAL swap (unprotected).

Doncic
Irving/Hardy/Curry
Green/DJJ
Siakam/Williams
Lively/Powell/Kleber
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 1 user Likes HAguiar95's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
i don't hate that and have always loved Temple as a bench guy.

the crazy trade i hatched up is this

Dallas:  Siakam

Orlando: THJ, Holmes, Schroder

Toronto:  WCJ, Fultz, Harris & Hardy

Orlando gets a backcourt that can shoot along with Suggs
Raptors don't have an unhappy Schroder (after losing time to Quickly) and get an immediate starter at center.
Mavs get Siakam.

Does Dallas have to send a pick to Orlando? to Toronto?
Like Reply
THJ + Holmes is a match for John Collins, both salarywise and in on-court ability. Tim is the better player. Collins the better fit in Big D. Mavs save about 5 million over each of the next 2 years. Utah saves it all back 3 times over, long-term, due to the shorter contracts. The extra space maybe lets us keep DJJ to boot?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 08:02 PM)The Jom Wrote: THJ + Holmes is a match for John Collins, both salarywise and in on-court ability. Tim is the better player. Collins the better fit in Big D. Mavs save about 5 million over each of the next 2 years. Utah saves it all back 3 times over, long-term, due to the shorter contracts. The extra space maybe lets us keep DJJ to boot?
That makes some sense. THJ/Holmes/Hardy for Collins. No picks and save ammo for the summer. While also able to re-sign Jones jr
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 08:02 PM)The Jom Wrote: THJ + Holmes is a match for John Collins, both salarywise and in on-court ability. Tim is the better player. Collins the better fit in Big D. Mavs save about 5 million over each of the next 2 years. Utah saves it all back 3 times over, long-term, due to the shorter contracts. The extra space maybe lets us keep DJJ to boot?

I see where you’re coming from. 

I don’t know that it’s a given that Collins is “the better fit in big D.” I respect the opinion of those who think that, but I don’t agree.
Like Reply
I love Lauri the most, but he isn't in the realm of possibilities.
Siakam would just cost too much.

If the options for trade are just Holmes, THJ, Hardy, GW, FRP and SRP.. my preference would be:

Washington + Richards

But my prediction would be:

Kuzma + Muscala

Kuzma comes in with an already defined role, and offers the least variation on the way the Mavs do things -- he simply takes on the THJ role, but in a bigger body, different position, with more rebounding and a more dynamic offense that doesn't take away from 3 point shooting. Unlike Washington and DFS, Kuzma would be able to put the ball on the floor so you wouldn't just station him in the corners. And unlike Siakam and Jerami, you can probably ask Kuzma to just do more catch and shoot without complaints. Sure the D wouldn't improve by much, but it can't be a downgrade from what it is now. The Mavs roll out its tiny ball strategy of GW at C, and either DJJ or THJ at PF -- and the Mavs just get pounded on the boards with GW and THJ as poor rebounders. GW can work better with Kuz. And the Mavs could send a frontline of GW-Kuz-DJJ without sacrificing mobility and with better chances of rebounding. And Kuz doesn't make GW or Maxi redundant. Those two guys are options if D is required more at certain periods (although I'm not sure if GW is really that better at D than Kuz, and if a Maxi return is going to be any better at D). As for the offense? You can put any 2 of Luka-Kyrie-Kuz out there and never lose a step.

As for Muscala -- he is there as the added big, probably won't contribute much, but has an outside shot for a 5-out offense).

Trades:
THJ+Hardy+SRP+Holmes for Kuzma+Muscala
THJ+FRP+Holmes for Kuzma+Muscala
Like Reply