Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
Saw this idea on Discord and thought it was interesting:

LAL gets Kyrie

Dallas gets Markkanen and Olynyk

Utah gets Russell, Rui, 2025 LAL unprotected and 2027 Dallas unprotected.
Like Reply
(12-22-2023, 04:04 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Saw this idea on Discord and thought it was interesting:

LAL gets Kyrie

Well, depends on if we can get a third star in the offseason. Essentially a sidewise move. However, I have to say that a Luka-Exum-DJJ-Lauri-Lively starting five is more competitive overall than Kyrie-Exum-Luka-DJJ-Lively.
Like Reply
(12-22-2023, 04:04 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Saw this idea on Discord and thought it was interesting:

LAL gets Kyrie

As much as I love Markkanen, and trust me, I love the dude, I'm hesitant on the deal.

2 main reasons:

Mavs have always required a competent off-ball scoring threat, one that can create his own shot successfully, next to Luka. Brunson grew into that guy. Kyrie is definitely that guy. Lauri...? He actually becomes one of the league's worsts shooters on multiple dribbles. In fact he's one of the lowest usage stars in the league. The dude does not create shots for himself. We'd be even more reliant on Luka to create and we're losing basically 24mpg of good PG play that Kyrie does generate.

2nd, the Mavs now need to find another creator, but have cashed in their last 1st until the summer. I'd have to think long and hard about it, but I don't think I'd be for it. Lauri does make us younger... He is good..

Ugh. Tough one.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply

LAL gets Kyrie

Like I said on discord. Why are we giving up the best player in the trade AND a FRP? We’re letting the Lakers off the hook huge in this trade. Making it closer, swap Reeves with DLo and add Vandy to Dallas and take away the first from Dal.
[-] The following 5 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
I was totally wrong about Lively. If we are giving up veterans it’s better to target some youngsters from other teams who have length, can defend and run the floor. Those types will complement very well with Kyrie and Luka. Outside shooting is secondary. We need young athletic defensive guys.

Green also fits the role. The only issue with him is that even when he runs the floor he is not actively thinking of going to the rim first. Else I can live with his reluctance to shoot. However I have come to now feel that instead of focusing on that we just need a couple more guys who bring the element of athleticism, more length than Green and defense.

Too many youngsters have come too early and are probably languishing. Who can we identify? Pistons are looking for some veterans. Ausar would be a wet dream but if he is available I would definitely give up a frp along with THJ. Are there any young floor running ahot blockers sitting on the bench somewhere to back up Lively?
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 10:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Like I said on discord. Why are we giving up the best player in the trade AND a FRP? We’re letting the Lakers off the hook huge in this trade. Making it closer, swap Reeves with DLo and add Vandy to Dallas and take away the first from Dal.

Yeah. Lakers have a realistic shot at the title with Kyrie, so let them pay.
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 10:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Like I said on discord. Why are we giving up the best player in the trade AND a FRP? We’re letting the Lakers off the hook huge in this trade. Making it closer, swap Reeves with DLo and add Vandy to Dallas and take away the first from Dal.

I absolutely agree. If the Lakers want to go for the title, make them pay.
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 10:35 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Are there any young floor running shot blockers sitting on the bench somewhere to back up Lively?

Jericho Sims
Like Reply
(12-23-2023, 03:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: As much as I love Markkanen, and trust me, I love the dude, I'm hesitant on the deal.

2 main reasons:

Mavs have always required a competent off-ball scoring threat, one that can create his own shot successfully, next to Luka. Brunson grew into that guy. Kyrie is definitely that guy. Lauri...? He actually becomes one of the league's worsts shooters on multiple dribbles. In fact he's one of the lowest usage stars in the league. The dude does not create shots for himself. We'd be even more reliant on Luka to create and we're losing basically 24mpg of good PG play that Kyrie does generate.

2nd, the Mavs now need to find another creator, but have cashed in their last 1st until the summer. I'd have to think long and hard about it, but I don't think I'd be for it. Lauri does make us younger... He is good..

Ugh. Tough one.
Agree with the ball handler part, but going from a 31 year old undersized PG to a 26 year old high efficiency shooting big is worth it especially in the long run from a future value perspective.

Markennen would still take a lot of pressure off, as an efficient high level point producer despite not being a dribble creator, to where Im not sure the lack of another pure creator would matter quite as much. Luka hasn't really played with a big who can score like Markannen before (KP avg 57% TS with the Mavs, Markannen has been at 64% the last two seasons, and IMO has a better rounded offensive game right now than KP particularly in Dallas).

It would put a lot more pressure on Exum for sure, and arguably you wanna try and swing something for another ball handler but I'd do it just for the benefit to the development of the team beyond just this season. Markannen has also arguably become a passable defender, and helps with the size we are desperately missing.
Like Reply
(12-25-2023, 05:36 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Agree with the ball handler part, but going from a 31 year old undersized PG to a 26 year old high efficiency shooting big is worth it especially in the long run from a future value perspective.

Markennen would still take a lot of pressure off, as an efficient high level point producer despite not being a dribble creator, to where Im not sure the lack of another pure creator would matter quite as much. Luka hasn't really played with a big who can score like Markannen before (KP avg 57% TS with the Mavs, Markannen has been at 64% the last two seasons, and IMO has a better rounded offensive game right now than KP particularly in Dallas).

It would put a lot more pressure on Exum for sure, and arguably you wanna try and swing something for another ball handler but I'd do it just for the benefit to the development of the team beyond just this season. Markannen has also arguably become a passable defender, and helps with the size we are desperately missing.

I can be sold on adding Markennen, no problem.

For me, it’s tough to get past IGT’s fine point: the Mavs would be giving up the best (current) player in the deal AND an UNPROTECTED pick. 

Now, Markennen would have a chance of still being here in ‘27, so the inclusion of that pick in a deal for him isn’t as crazy as some of the things we talk about doing with it. Ultimately, I’m personally of the opinion that Markennen isn’t a good enough get to justify that level of risk, but I couldn’t blame someone really high on Markennen for wanting to do a deal for him.

But not Kyrie AND the pick. THJ and pick, maybe, but even that seems steep. The PICK is what Ainge will be after. Let’s start the salary matching package with pieces like Holmes, imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, rocky164
Like Reply
I was listening to Rusillo on the Bill Simmons podcast this week. He made a comment about Lauri and why would Utah trade him? They have enough picks. Players are not breaking down the doors to play in Utah. It appears he likes it there and is the #1 guy there. Even if Utah wants to reset, keeping Lauri shouldn't really impact that.

As far as Dallas, with the emergence of Jones and Exum (hopefully both stay healthy) it allows them to stay patient. In all honesty, is a player better than Exum and Jones available on the market with the assets Dallas has to offer? Lively too with him being so good, so early. They can look for a fringe move, while biding their time. If a deal presents itself, sure go after it. But with the emergence of Jones and Exum it allows them to take a long term view.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(12-25-2023, 12:20 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was listening to Rusillo on the Bill Simmons podcast this week.  He made a comment about Lauri and why would Utah trade him?  They have enough picks.  Players are not breaking down the doors to play in Utah.  It  appears he likes it there and is the #1 guy there.  Even if Utah wants to reset, keeping Lauri shouldn't really impact that. 

As far as Dallas, with the emergence of Jones and Exum (hopefully both stay healthy) it allows them to stay patient.  In all honesty, is a player better than Exum and Jones available on the market with the assets Dallas has to offer?  Lively too with him being so good, so early.  They can look for a fringe move, while biding their time.  If a deal presents itself, sure go after it.  But with the emergence of Jones and Exum it allows them to take a long term view.

I think the play is getting a guy like Capela for cheap. The market was basically the Mavs and maybe PHX last summer with Ayton and THJ trades.

Now the Mavs are definitely not as interested before and PHX doesn't have the assets. Who is going to go to the Hawks with the matching contracts and need for Capela?

Hawks are 5 games below .500. The Murray+Young pairing doesn't really work. I think they're in for a restructuring. Capela might not be in their long term plans. 

They definitely wanted THJ in the summer. The Mavs are probably not interested now. But could Capela be had for Holmes+Hardy+2nds?

On paper that works trade machine wise, although it makes the Mavs a tax team by a little over 3 mil. 

Another variation that saves on tax is Holmes+Maxi+Hardy+2nds for Capela+Bey. Makes sense for both teams to be honest. Hawks can move Okongwu to the start while turning Capela into a young prospect and 2nds. Maxi is an ideal defender for them and can play a solid bench role. Holmes is salary matching.

Mavs get another wing and backup center. Capela is expensive for a backup, but it means they always have a great center each game for 48 mins.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
If we're going the backup C route, offering few assets, which is my preference (Holmes/Hardy or Holmes/2nds should be our offer), Olynyk, Gafford and Richards are there for the taking.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 2 users Like HAguiar95's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, rocky164
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 07:47 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: If we're going the backup C route, offering few assets, which is my preference (Holmes/Hardy or Holmes/2nds should be our offer), Olynyk, Gafford and Richards are there for the taking.

I don't think Holmes + 2nds is enough to get anybody.  I am curious what value Hardy has right now.
Like Reply
(12-25-2023, 02:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the play is getting a guy like Capela for cheap. The market was basically the Mavs and maybe PHX last summer with Ayton and THJ trades.

Now the Mavs are definitely not as interested before and PHX doesn't have the assets. Who is going to go to the Hawks with the matching contracts and need for Capela?

Hawks are 5 games below .500. The Murray+Young pairing doesn't really work. I think they're in for a restructuring. Capela might not be in their long term plans. 

They definitely wanted THJ in the summer. The Mavs are probably not interested now. But could Capela be had for Holmes+Hardy+2nds?

Mavs get another wing and backup center. Capela is expensive for a backup, but it means they always have a great center each game for 48 mins.

I think the play here is to get in on a Siakam for Murray deal.  Atlanta would need to add salary to Murray to match Siakam.  They want to get good just like Dallas does.  So, they aren't just giving players away for nothing.  But, make the Capela deal part of something that lands them Siakam and now we're talking.  

Murray also makes sense in Toronto as they would end up being Poeltl, Barnes, OG and Murray as their core and all sorts of options (Dick, Hardy, Trent, Schroder or even a bigger player like Boucher or McDaniels) available to play the fifth spot.

Murray can't be traded until 1/5.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 10:20 AM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think Holmes + 2nds is enough to get anybody.  I am curious what value Hardy has right now.

So, 3 first round picks for Mo Bamba, huh Smile

I agree with Dan that backup Center is a position of need.  I think backup center is salvageable if Lively stays healthy and doesn't hit the likely rookie wall at some point.    That is when C gets really concerning if either of these happen.    I think we need to wait to see if Maxi can help out.  I think he was being counted on as either a PF next to Powell/Holmes or the lone 5.   They may want to see if Maxi can be a stop gap this year first.

The other issue is a lot of the names I am seeing may be above what I want to pay.    They are short term fits too.  I think you may be able to fill that position this offseason with hardly any assets.   Capella and Gafford being the two names that could get shopped.    I don't know if I would give up the assets that those teams would want if they were moved.   Nik Richards has been a sneaky favorite of mine, but not sure what he would gather even if Charlotte wanted to move him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Dejounte Murray is a potential target for the Lakers, per @ShamsCharania

[Charania] The Los Angeles Lakers are expected to express interest in Atlanta Hawks guard and Klutch client Dejounte Murray. Any trade for a star-level player like Murray or LaVine is expected to include guys like Austin Reaves and Max Christie along with their last available first-round draft pick.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 12:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Dejounte Murray is a potential target for the Lakers, per @ShamsCharania

[Charania] The Los Angeles Lakers are expected to express interest in Atlanta Hawks guard and Klutch client Dejounte Murray. Any trade for a star-level player like Murray or LaVine is expected to include guys like Austin Reaves and Max Christie along with their last available first-round draft pick.

If that's all it would cost (it isn't, that's Lakers propaganda, as per usual) I'd happily give up Hardy, Green and '27 for either of them. Happily. And I'm the "don't trade '27" guy. But, that kind of talent upgrade is hard to turn your back on.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 11:23 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Nik Richards has been a sneaky favorite of mine, but not sure what he would gather even if Charlotte wanted to move him.

Interesting thing about Richards.  He makes $5.0mm and we have a TPE worth $4.95mm.  But Dan, you might say, $5.0mm is more than $4.95mm, so how would that work?  Well, if we are under the first apron (which we are), the spread on a TPE is $250,000.  So, we can actually take back up to $5.2mm.

That basically means you can do pick(s) for Richards with no outgoing players if you want.  Or, Hardy for Richards (which keeps you under the tax).  Or, a smaller salary like Morris or Powell with pick(s) for Richards.  He's probably the right target from an age and skillset standpoint in that his game is similar (just worse) than Lively in many ways.  He's an Excel guy.  In case it wasn't clear, pick(s) meant seconds.  Also, Josh for Richards straight up does not work.

Lively/Richards
DJJ/GWill
Exum/Green
Kyrie/THJ
Luka/One of the PG's

Edit: How much more would you pay to move Holmes in a Richards deal? The idea would be to get further under the apron next season to be able to pay DJJ. Holmes for Richards isn't a match, but if you add Non-Guaranteed Thor to the deal, it does work. Lowers next year's salary by over $7mm which gets us about $15mm under the first apron and able to use the full MLE (but be hard-capped for doing so).
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, HIMAV, MAVS-SLO, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 02:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interesting thing about Richards.  He makes $5.0mm and we have a TPE worth $4.95mm.  But Dan, you might say, $5.0mm is more than $4.95mm, so how would that work?  Well, if we are under the first apron (which we are), the spread on a TPE is $250,000.  So, we can actually take back up to $5.2mm.

That basically means you can do pick(s) for Richards with no outgoing players if you want.  Or, Hardy for Richards (which keeps you under the tax).  Or, a smaller salary like Morris or Powell with pick(s) for Richards.  He's probably the right target from an age and skillset standpoint in that his game is similar (just worse) than Lively in many ways.  He's an Excel guy.  In case it wasn't clear, pick(s) meant seconds.  Also, Josh for Richards straight up does not work.

Lively/Richards
DJJ/GWill
Exum/Green
Kyrie/THJ
Luka/One of the PG's

Edit:  How much more would you pay to move Holmes in a Richards deal?  The idea would be to get further under the apron next season to be able to pay DJJ.  Holmes for Richards isn't a match, but if you add Non-Guaranteed Thor to the deal, it does work.  Lowers next year's salary by over $7mm which gets us about $15mm under the first apron and able to use the full MLE (but be hard-capped for doing so).

I would be more than happy to send out Holmes, but I don't know if 2 seconds is enough for someone to take on his salary let alone pay for Richards.  I would probably pull the trigger on a Hardy for Richards trade, but no idea if that has any interest for them.
Like Reply